PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Question

kong
11-11-2008, 20:40
I am starting to diet to try to loose weight and plan on hitting the gym once I have some free time. Anyways...Would wearing my weight belt with 20 or 30 pounds around the house or office help any? Not really doing any exercising yet. Just normal walking and chores.

Theepdinker
11-11-2008, 21:51
Ankle weights are probably more manageable & effective.

Theep

James1010
11-11-2008, 21:55
In the Military I spent a lot of time cutting weight. I used the good old tuna diet three meals a day but every meal I changed from crackers to something else. Also with a little but of fast walking you can cut down a lot of weight in a short time. But the issue is going to be keeping the weight off after you loose it. You really have to change your diet but also keep up the work out so that your body will continue to burn the fat and not store it.

James1010
11-11-2008, 21:59
Also the only stupid question is a question not asked. Trust me I asked a ton of dumb questions here in this forum and there are a lot of experienced divers here who will help you out and if they don't know the answer they will go out of there way to find out the answer for you.

ScubaDude
11-11-2008, 22:01
Not a stupid question at all, but I think the weights would just be a bother. You've taken the first step by dieting, so now is the time to commit and proceed. Hit the gym, get a personal trainer and you'll soon see results.

Keep in mind that gym memberships will be rising soon due to the "New Years Resolution" theory.

Do it now, and your membership will cost less than after 01/09.

And if you really wanna wear those weights, gear up and dive, it's a great cardio, fat burning exercise.

Good luck.

P.S. Try and buy an existing membership on Ebay, some gym memberships are transferrable. :smiley20:

kong
11-11-2008, 22:01
The main thing I am trying to drop is fried foods, sugars, sodas, and alcohol since I always clean out the fridge when I drink. I put on about 40 pounds since the first of the year.

Did you use canned tuna or fresh tuna? I pan seared some tuna fillets earlier tonight for dinner. Canned cheaper though. I stocked up on cans of veggies and frozen chicken breasts to grill. The main issue is trying to find time to cook since it is too easy to grab junk.

Good idea on the gym stuff on eBay. I will be starting a new job in January with a 24 hour gym by the office.

Empacher
11-11-2008, 22:03
This says it all...

Empacher
11-11-2008, 22:04
lets try that again...

kong
11-11-2008, 22:06
lets try that again...

Thanks Mr. Garrison. :smilie39:

obrules15
11-11-2008, 22:09
They actually make a weighted walking vest that would do what you are asking and maybe be a bit more comfortable.

ScubaDude
11-11-2008, 22:12
The main thing I am trying to drop is fried foods, sugars, sodas, and alcohol since I always clean out the fridge when I drink. I put on about 40 pounds since the first of the year.

Did you use canned tuna or fresh tuna? I pan seared some tuna fillets earlier tonight for dinner. Canned cheaper though. I stocked up on cans of veggies and frozen chicken breasts to grill. The main issue is trying to find time to cook since it is too easy to grab junk.

Good idea on the gym stuff on eBay. I will be starting a new job in January with a 24 hour gym by the office.

Don't drop the soda man, just go to diet. I too am a big fan of beer, I'm drinking one right now. (Natural Light) Tastes great, less filling!

kong
11-11-2008, 22:15
I've started with Coke Zero. It actually tastes like coke. If only I could find a low/zero calorie alcohol to put in it. I just finished off my last Blue Moon and decided not to buy anymore until I drop at least 10 pounds.

Empacher
11-11-2008, 22:17
what about taking the steps instead of the elevator?? simple....

ScubaDude
11-11-2008, 22:17

Don't drop the soda man, just go to diet. I too am a big fan of beer, I'm drinking one right now. (Natural Light) Tastes great, less filling!

I currently live alone and yes, cooking can be a chore while keeping a full time job, keeping up with the housework and hunting like there's no tomorrow. I cook more than 1 meal at a time. The way I see it, if I'm gonna f*ck up the kitchen, I'm gonna do it right. It only takes a little more time to cook alot than just one meal.

kong
11-11-2008, 22:21

All my classes and offices are on the first story of the building. I have started parking on the other side of campus just to force myself to walk more though.

I currently live alone and yes, cooking can be a chore while keeping a full time job, keeping up with the housework and hunting like there's no tomorrow. I cook more than 1 meal at a time. The way I see it, if I'm gonna f*ck up the kitchen, I'm gonna do it right. It only takes a little more time to cook alot than just one meal.

I will probably try that. I can cook one chicken breast just as easily as five and save the rest for the next couple of days so that I don't have to cook every day. Most of the veggies can be microwaved with the left over chicken. Tuna either takes a few seconds to sear or I just eat raw from the store.

ScubaDude
11-11-2008, 22:28

All my classes and offices are on the first story of the building. I have started parking on the other side of campus just to force myself to walk more though.

I will probably try that. I can cook one chicken breast just as easily as five and save the rest for the next couple of days so that I don't have to cook every day. Most of the veggies can be microwaved with the left over chicken. Tuna either takes a few seconds to sear or I just eat raw from the store.

Aaaaah sushi!

Also try turkey ,venison and bison. I love veggies but don't eat nearly enough, so I take multi-vitamins to offset that.

kong
11-11-2008, 22:34
Not really sushi, just a tuna fillet with a little wasabi and soy sauce on top. I just like fish because I don't have to worry about dying if I under cook it like chicken. Most of my veggies come from a can since I can just microwave them in about a minute. I will probably look into some vitamin though since I still don't eat enough of them.

Turkey is good. Most of my sausage and bacon is turkey. I haven't tried bison on my own, just from restaurants.

My friend has an almost endless supply of venison jerky. It is lightly seasoned so it isn't too bad or salty and she has been passing some along to me.

ScubaDude
11-11-2008, 22:39
Not really sushi, just a tuna fillet with a little wasabi and soy sauce on top. I just like fish because I don't have to worry about dying if I under cook it like chicken. Most of my veggies come from a can since I can just microwave them in about a minute. I will probably look into some vitamin though since I still don't eat enough of them.

Turkey is good. Most of my sausage and bacon is turkey. I haven't tried bison on my own, just from restaurants.

My friend has an almost endless supply of venison jerky. It is lightly seasoned so it isn't too bad or salty and she has been passing some along to me.

Well pass some on to me! The last deer I shot last month was too small for jerky after the main cuts and burger.

SynCitizen
11-11-2008, 22:44
Im no personal trainer (and not in tip top shape either) but I would think that a sensible diet and consistent exercise would go a long way towards your goals. I would steer clear of any fads and extremes.

Mmmm venison jerky. Good stuff!

kong
11-11-2008, 22:44
I don't know where she gets it because I know that she doesn't hunt and I'm not sure who she would know that does. I'm pretty sure that it isn't something that you can walk into the grocery store and buy. All I can think of is if she ran over one in her car. I still haven't seen anything this season that I could shoot. Either too far away during bow season or a doe during buck season.

ScubaDude
11-11-2008, 22:51
I don't know where she gets it because I know that she doesn't hunt and I'm not sure who she would know that does. I'm pretty sure that it isn't something that you can walk into the grocery store and buy. All I can think of is if she ran over one in her car. I still haven't seen anything this season that I could shoot. Either too far away during bow season or a doe during buck season.

Maybe you're eating cat jerky, still a good source of protein, but might turn you into a ***** if you eat too much! :smilie39:

I missed 2 does with my bow and hit a 5 pointer I never found. Just getting back into hunting and shooting a live deer is so much harder than a target, although I do have a nice 153 2/8 Pope & Young on the wall.

I got that last deer with a muzzle loader.

kong
11-11-2008, 22:59
I was thinking that it could be cat jerky but there is a Chinese restaurant near by so I am sure that they pick up all the strays.

I am horrible with a bow. I grew up in Alaska and we never had bow season so it is something I have had to learn when I moved to Tennessee a few years ago and I haven't really put the time into. I see deer all the time during bow season but once it is rifle season they seem to disappear all of a sudden.

ScubaDude
11-11-2008, 23:00
I started a thread in "Surface Interval" called "Hunting Season". If you have any cool stories, throw it in there, I'd love to hear it.

Foo2
11-11-2008, 23:05
Congrats on making the decision to loose weight and live a healthier lifestyle! In Jan '08 I decided that I had had enough and was gonna drop excess baby weight. I lost 20lbs from Jan '08 - May '08. Since then I have lost a couple more pounds, but not many.(Loosing weight is no longer a goal of mine) Anyway, what really did wonders for me was portion control! I was amazed at how much I was eating when I realized how big your portions are supposed to be. I was eating for nearly 3 people! I also cut down on greasy foods and cut out sodas. The only time I have a soda now is at fast food restaurants. Even there sometimes I just have water. I'm most certain that soda is liquid poison. Maybe we should start our weightloss thread back up to help motivate those that are trying. I let it die cause I had reached my goal and got lazy about the posts.

kong
11-11-2008, 23:05
I started a thread in "Surface Interval" called "Hunting Season". If you have any cool stories, throw it in there, I'd love to hear it.

Cool. Guess we could try to stay on topic once and a while.

At class tonight we started talking about deferred taxes, spent about an hour on the history of Hollywood, another few minutes what federal crime to commit if you wanted to retire in a prison camp, and ended up discussing restaurants near the school until class was over. Random segues are great.

ScubaDude
11-11-2008, 23:08
I was thinking that it could be cat jerky but there is a Chinese restaurant near by so I am sure that they pick up all the strays.

I am horrible with a bow. I grew up in Alaska and we never had bow season so it is something I have had to learn when I moved to Tennessee a few years ago and I haven't really put the time into. I see deer all the time during bow season but once it is rifle season they seem to disappear all of a sudden.

I'm hunting 115 acres for the second year and am experiencing the same thing.

I know enough about the land to surely put me in a good early season bow stand, but I haven't figured the rest of the season out. I'm keeping a logue of every hunt and I'm sure I'll be more successful next year.

Early season scouting is the key, and scout on the days that you can't actually hunt throughout every season, but treat it as a hunt anyway. You'll find 'em. Know the wind, and eliminate your scent.

kong
11-11-2008, 23:10
Congrats on making the decision to loose weight and live a healthier lifestyle! In Jan '08 I decided that I had had enough and was gonna drop excess baby weight. I lost 20lbs from Jan '08 - May '08. Since then I have lost a couple more pounds, but not many.(Loosing weight is no longer a goal of mine) Anyway, what really did wonders for me was portion control! I was amazed at how much I was eating when I realized how big your portions are supposed to be. I was eating for nearly 3 people! I also cut down on greasy foods and cut out sodas. The only time I have a soda now is at fast food restaurants. Even there sometimes I just have water. I'm most certain that soda is liquid poison. Maybe we should start our weightloss thread back up to help motivate those that are trying. I let it die cause I had reached my goal and got lazy about the posts.

Good to know. Did you just do the eating habits or did you toss in any exercising? I'm hoping I can drop some just by changing the eating until I have more time to hit the gym. I switched jobs in January. I went form working for the cable company as a cable guy (climbing poles, crawling under houses, slinging spools of cable around) to an accountant but I really didn't change my eating habits. I'm 6'3" 240 right now and am hoping to drop back to around 200 if not lower.

ScubaDude
11-11-2008, 23:15

Good to know. Did you just do the eating habits or did you toss in any exercising? I'm hoping I can drop some just by changing the eating until I have more time to hit the gym. I switched jobs in January. I went form working for the cable company as a cable guy (climbing poles, crawling under houses, slinging spools of cable around) to an accountant but I really didn't change my eating habits. I'm 6'3" 240 right now and am hoping to drop back to around 200 if not lower.

Damn, you ditched hunting for weight loss? I'm so confused! :smilie39:

kong
11-11-2008, 23:17
What do you mean? Its late and my sentences are probably making less and less sense as time goes on.

Foo2
11-11-2008, 23:20

I changed my eating habits and lost about 18lbs on my own before I started excersizing. I can be a little OCD at times, it would not have been a good idea for me to excersize and diet at the same time. I would have gone overboard. So I made a promise to myself and my husband that I would loose the weight before I started running. Granted, everyone's body is different and some may not be able to loose the weight on diet alone. You'll have to do what's best for your body. You can always change your eating habits and if that doesn't show results in a month or two, then start excersizing at the same time. Good luck, keep us posted, and if you need encouragement or help.....you know where to find us!:smiley2:

kong
11-11-2008, 23:24
Thanks. I start a new job in January that will be more flexible as far as hours and everything else. I'll just stick with the eating habits and see how that works. That will give me 2 months to try dieting.

I'll probably start the gym or exercising in January when I have more free time to help the weight loss and to get some physical activity. I can normally shed weight fairly quickly. It is just hard to keep off because I always go back to my old habits.

I will try to post updates though as it progresses.

Foo2
11-11-2008, 23:27
Do you want accountability? If you do, we can start the weigh in's back up. When I posted my weight and my goals on ST for the world to see, I got pretty motivated pretty quickly.

kong
11-11-2008, 23:29
Sure. I saw those in the fitness section a while back but it looks like everyone just quit all of a sudden.

BlowingBubbles
11-12-2008, 14:44
The biggest weight loser for me has been to cut the starchy carbs (potatoes, breads, etc.) and get the essential carbs from others things like nuts, fruits and veggies etc. While actively trying to lose weight I cut the usual suspects like fried foods, sweets, etc. and that coupled with cutting those starchy carbs had the weight falling off without any exercise. It takes some discipline but it's worth it in the long run. Like they say, everything in moderation. Throw in some exercise and as you're feeling better about yourself from the weight loss, it does get eaiser. I agree that it's good to avoid fads and extremes; healthy eating and exercise is the key. :smiley20: