PDA

View Full Version : MO, IN, South IL Dive Locations - Not to Miss

gNats
11-12-2008, 18:35
Hi Midwest Divers!

I am plotting out a road trip for the summer of 2009 and hoping to drag several OH, MI, and Canadian divers with me.

My thoughts are to head from Detroit to MO through Indianapolis and St. Louis. I have two ideas for this trip. Not sure which is actually the best plan and want to leave it open and flexible if there is a group of interested people.

The first idea is to plot a course that allows us to drive to a new dive site each day. Preferably by diving earliesh and then driving to the next spot for the night so we are at the dive area the next day.

The other idea is to just beat it to MO and dive a few places that are within close proximity and then beat it back to Michigan. Something tells me, however, that we would miss out on some great dive locales in IN and IL.

I guess what will ultimately determine which aventure is best is 1) what are the recommended dive spots and 2) how much time do we take for this trip.

Would you please post the quarries you would highly recommend an out of towner experiencing and why? Please include the name of the quarry and the location (city, state).

Thanks very much!

Natalie

CWSWine
11-12-2008, 19:02
Lot of divers in the area do not recommend this spot because of the cost but I have put it on my short list of "Dives I want to do at least once".

Bonne Terre Mine (http://www.2dive.com/btm.htm)

navyhmc
11-12-2008, 19:06
Hi Natalie;

A lot of good places to dive here in the midwest if you like colder fresh water. A good place to start is Midwest Muckdivers site: http://www.midwestmuckdiving.com (http://www.midwestmuckdiving.com) A lot of good sites can be found there all overthe midwest for your liking.

MY buddy stacks a lot of praise on Gilboa in Ohio and I have heard a lot of good things about Mermet and I dive Oronogo in SE Missouri all the time-it's not too bad.

Have fun!

ETA: +1 for the Bonne Terre trip too.

James1010
11-12-2008, 19:12
I am guessing that the dives are going to be in FW, how is the vis and the temp of the water?

gNats
11-12-2008, 19:14
Hi Natalie;

A lot of good places to dive here in the midwest if you like colder fresh water. A good place to start is Midwest Muckdivers site: http://www.midwestmuckdiving.com (http://www.midwestmuckdiving.com) A lot of good sites can be found there all overthe midwest for your liking.

MY buddy stacks a lot of praise on Gilboa in Ohio and I have heard a lot of good things about Mermet and I dive Oronogo in SE Missouri all the time-it's not too bad.

Have fun!

ETA: +1 for the Bonne Terre trip too.

thanks! I did check out midwestmuckdiving.com - so many sites, so little time! LOL. It was overwhelming and I thought if I am limited to 5 dive sites, I want them to be the premiere sites.

For example, I go to Whitestar in Ohio quite a bit. It's a clean, friendly place. But, if someone was traveling to my area and really wanted to know how to spend his or her 3 days of diving, that particular quarry may not be first on my list, because it doesn't have a great deal to see. It's close and gets me wet, but isn't high on the exciting meter.

Now, Gilboa - yes, there is a quarry I would recommend for many many reasons. The hosts are wonderful, the site is well maintained, there are amenities available on location.

Additionally, I am trying to narrow down location. At first glance, it looks like there are several quarries clustered around St. Louis. If they are all worth the diving experience, then maybe I should plan on hanging around St. Louis and forego the B quarries.

thanks again for your post! Mermet and Oronogo are definitely on my list and Bonne Terre appears to be within striking distance.

navyhmc
11-12-2008, 20:27
While Oronogo is one of my favorite sites to dive, partially due to it's the closest fairly clear water from home. It is good for a few dives-nothing like what I've heard about with Gilboa-talk about a diver's play ground! The grounds are not exactly kept up, but there is a large parking area and all. the walk to the water is about 150' down a sloping drive-not bad on the way down, but sucks on the way up.

Oronogo is deep-210' at the deepest, the average in the deep zone is 150'-180' There is a raodway that goes from 10' down to 60' then does a switchback to 100' with another swithc back to 140' a couple of boats to go to, a plane and various other things including a computer and desk set up.

The nicer thing is that all you have to do is post here the day you're goign to be there and more than likely you'll have a few of us showing up to dive with you. It's open on weekends and if you wnat a private dive party, John will open up for the day for $100.

John himself is a hoot, he's an old retired commercial diver and has run the palce for at least 20 years.

skdvr
11-12-2008, 20:49
Mermet is a great place. May be a little further south than you want to go. Bonne Terre Mine would also be very cool. It is definately one place that is cool to say that have dove. Even though I live so close to Bonne Terre I have not dove it because it is expensive and I always think that I can do it some other time. If you think of it as a tourist attraction then it is worth the money, but it is hard for me to think of it that way because it is so close.

Phil

maverick
11-12-2008, 21:01
Diver Trainining Mag.has a list of sites thru out the USA.

gNats
11-12-2008, 21:05
The nicer thing is that all you have to do is post here the day you're goign to be there and more than likely you'll have a few of us showing up to dive with you.

I am absolutely going to take you up on that! In fact, I am hoping local divers (and OK, TX divers) will want to show up. How cool would it be to have a group of people from several states together for a weekend dive party!

And, I think many of us will be glad to have local divers available to point out the best dive locations and be psuedo tour guides.

Larry is going to create a sub-forum for this dive estraveganza in the great lakes forum. I'll let you know as more information is available!

SteveC
11-12-2008, 23:22
I'd vote for Haigh, Mermet, and Pennyroyal for starters.

jaldrich
11-13-2008, 09:36
Definitely worth heading down to Mermet.

Merrimorte
11-13-2008, 12:16
Definately interested... I had already planned on a treck down that way this summer, would be great to have some traveling companions! How long of a trip are you looking at? I would like to stay atleast a few days around the St. Louis area or a bit south of there.

Some diving along the way would be cool too! Also are we camping or doing hotels? Camping means more gear to tote, but could be less $.

gNats
11-13-2008, 12:24
Definately interested... I had already planned on a treck down that way this summer, would be great to have some traveling companions! How long of a trip are you looking at? I would like to stay atleast a few days around the St. Louis area or a bit south of there.

Some diving along the way would be cool too! Also are we camping or doing hotels? Camping means more gear to tote, but could be less $.

Great Questions! I wish I knew the answers. I'm all for the camping at least most of the time. I have my own tent and camping stuff to make the trip pleasurable and share nicely.

Larry is going to create a sub-forum for this trek - since I have had a few people indicate an interest in traveling from the North as a group or joining from other points nearby.

Once the sub-forum is created, I'll start posting on the board that it exists to get people involved.

Until we have an idea of who is interested and time available, it's hard to make any plans.

Thanks for your interest!

cowgirldiver
11-13-2008, 13:00
I've become a big fan of diving at State Parks because of the facilities-even if I'm not camping and just driving the 2-3 hours back home the same day, it sure is nice to have taken a shower and wash off the muck before I head that way!!! Either that or find someone who rented a room and see if you can bum a shower off of them!!!

snagel
11-14-2008, 05:50
Mermet is a definate.....you have to stop at Mermet. Pennyroyal is 80 miles south of Mermet so I would suggest that also. Haigh is in Northern Illinois, but worth a trip as well.

The Dive Stop outside of St. Louis is a nice local area, but nothing special (yet). I wouldn't make a special trip for this, but if you are in the area and want to get wet - it's there.

Are you just looking at quarries? There are some nice likes in Southern MO & Northern Ill - Table Rock, Beaver, Bull Shoals, etc.

Snagel

gNats
11-14-2008, 07:01
Mermet is a definate.....you have to stop at Mermet. Pennyroyal is 80 miles south of Mermet so I would suggest that also. Haigh is in Northern Illinois, but worth a trip as well.

The Dive Stop outside of St. Louis is a nice local area, but nothing special (yet). I wouldn't make a special trip for this, but if you are in the area and want to get wet - it's there.

Are you just looking at quarries? There are some nice likes in Southern MO & Northern Ill - Table Rock, Beaver, Bull Shoals, etc.

Snagel

I think the list is coming along nicely thank you everyone. Snagel, I do want to dive Table Rock.

I haven't heard about Beaver or Bull Shoals. Are they on the Eastern side of the state near Haigh?

Merri - I think we are coming close having our list down pat.

cummings66
11-14-2008, 07:15
Beaver Lake is about an hour south of Table Rock Lake, both right now should I hope be clearing up. They've been pretty bad since the floods this spring but when they're good Beaver is usually a bit better. I enjoy both of them.

Merrimorte
11-14-2008, 07:57
http://forum.scubatoys.com/north-meets-midwest-dive-2009/ (http://forum.scubatoys.com/../north-meets-midwest-dive-2009/)

We got our own spot now to discuss plans.. Larry can you merge these posts over there?

Come on over there guys!