PDA

View Full Version : smoke a cigar before diving

Gasparotto
11-13-2008, 10:34
i read a lot of things about smoking a cigar or a cigarrete before diving. i smoke cigars twice a week, and i manage to not smoke one day before the dive, i never tried to smoke before diving cause i'm afraid, but have any of u guys done that?? how was it ??
tks

SynCitizen
11-13-2008, 10:46
I quit smoking all together 5 weeks ago. Prior too that I unfortunately would smoke before/between/after dives. I had no ill effects other than what smoking itself causes but I havent done that much deep diving (110'+) or pushed nitrogen loading to the limits. Of course I dont recommend or suggest smoking at all, especially with diving.

CompuDude
11-13-2008, 15:19
i read a lot of things about smoking a cigar or a cigarrete before diving. i smoke cigars twice a week, and i manage to not smoke one day before the dive, i never tried to smoke before diving cause i'm afraid, but have any of u guys done that?? how was it ??
tks

Normal health risks aside, the specific concern of smoking and diving is lung damage (and it's impact on gas absorption/transmission) and carbon monoxide poisoning/retention.

Assuming you don't inhale the cigar smoke, the only impact on diving is not really diving-specific, just the normal concern about mouth cancers.

If you DO inhale the cigar smoke (first: eww!), the same concerns as smoking a cigarette would apply.

cummings66
11-13-2008, 17:38
I wouldn't smoke for several days before a dive to give your lungs a chance to recover a bit.

That said, it's deadly. My Mom just finished burying my stepdad, he died of lung cancer. He smoked all his life and finally gave it up when he started coughing up blood, it was too late though. So, he spent the last 3 days of his life on a ventilator gasping for air, really he was on O2, all because he had to smoke.

I think it's a vile deadly habit that kills many people and offends me personally. Don't smoke when you dive.

PS, my last dive outing, my buddy lit up his cigar and smoked it AFTER he was done diving so perhaps that's your answer. Do it when you're done diving.

PS, I'm off my soapbox now.

CompuDude
11-13-2008, 19:19
I wouldn't smoke for several days before a dive to give your lungs a chance to recover a bit.

That said, it's deadly. My Mom just finished burying my stepdad, he died of lung cancer. He smoked all his life and finally gave it up when he started coughing up blood, it was too late though. So, he spent the last 3 days of his life on a ventilator gasping for air, really he was on O2, all because he had to smoke.

I think it's a vile deadly habit that kills many people and offends me personally. Don't smoke when you dive.

PS, my last dive outing, my buddy lit up his cigar and smoked it AFTER he was done diving so perhaps that's your answer. Do it when you're done diving.

I'm not advocating smoking or anything, but you DO know the difference between cigars and cigarettes, right? It's not just size.

Rainer
11-13-2008, 20:09

I'm not advocating smoking or anything, but you DO know the difference between cigars and cigarettes, right? It's not just size.

I'm pretty sure he does. What's your point? That cigars only cause mouth cancers?

Cigar Smoking Fact Sheet - American Lung Association site (http://www.lungusa.org/site/c.dvLUK9O0E/b.39859/)

Shenanigan
11-13-2008, 20:13
I agree smoking is a bad thing, but I do it. Tried to quit many times and will try again, and one day suceed! BTW, my air consumption is so much better than most of my usual group that they have accused me of breathing on one lung. Not necessarily a tag I'm proud of, given the context. :smiley5: As for cigars, usually only on vacation, in the evening after the dive, and I don't inhale that. :smiley36:

James1010
11-13-2008, 20:32
I go to a dive shop in Puerto Morales to dive most of the time and at that dive shop we all get together and smoke cigars and talk about funny things that have happened or just shoot the breeze together. To me it kinda boost up the dive and gets ya all geared up for it!

texdiveguy
11-13-2008, 20:50
tks

There is nothing good that can come from smoking anything as a scuba diver.....it has to be one of the worst things we as divers can chose to do.

The damages go well beyond that of the lungs.

I hope if you continue your diving you can break the trend of smoking....save some monies and improve your health and quality of diving.

cummings66
11-13-2008, 22:53
Yes, I'm aware of the differences between them. Both can kill you, simple as that. In his case it did, the odd thing was when he did give it up he said he didn't really need them, it was just that he was bored and it helped him. He gave it up cold turkey, but the problem just kept getting worse and worse until finally he couldn't drive the Truck home from Kansas to Mo. Mom luckily had taken the DOT tests and had her license so she drove it home. Went to the hospital from there and never came home again.

He preferred cigarettes but would smoke smaller cigars on occasion, I think many do that and comment on the cigar being a better product. I think both can kill you and neither should be used by a diver, but if you must I'd suggest after a dive and never before. That's how most of the divers I know handle it.

Yes, it was also a cigar that my buddies were smoking after the dive and not a cigarette. I know the difference having grown up in a family that smoked both products. Today the smell of either makes me sick, especially the cigarette.

I am amazed at the money people spend on those things, it's like liquid gold. You could buy some very nice dive gear with the money saved from not using it.

teerlkay
11-19-2008, 17:10
very bad

i really don't think "managing not smoke a day" (or two, or even a week) prior to diving is helping you in any way.

just eat the brownies!

mchain
11-21-2008, 19:37
I usually enjoy a cigar after a dive, unless I forget to bring one. I always want one after, lol. Good times, good memories.

fanatique
02-09-2009, 12:38
Smoking before going on a dive is like guys who say they need to have a puff before a mile run. It just proves how crazily addicted you are while knowing it's the worst thing to do in the given situation.

Seriously, if you need to light up, do it when the day is over, over a cold beer. Not right before a dive.

tfriend
02-09-2009, 12:56
I dont smoke unless im on vacation or with buddies. Even at that I stay away from cigarettes. Theres nothing better then sitting on the dock or oceanside with you best buds, with a cigar in hand and watching the sun go down! Except your breath the next morning :smiley11:

3rdEye
02-09-2009, 13:01
ughhh no....smoking a cigar, you will still inhale a good amount of smoke...maybe more than smoking a bunch of cigarettes. I sometimes smoke one on my last night of a vacation...after all the diving is done.

Straegen
02-09-2009, 13:06
Not a doctor, but I think as long as you don't smoke during a dive you will be OK... aside from the increase risk of a whole ton of bad stuff.

LRDWILDER
02-10-2009, 06:12
I'm an off and on smoker, and I know this isn't good but hell I've smoked between dives, after dives, before dives, on the way home from and too dives and never had an adverse effect.

Its much the same as alot of things in diving, it has to do with how your body relates and handles the situation. Now, that being said, I know that smoking in general will signifigantly increase your risks for just about every bad thing that can happen to you.

Have I done it? Yes, would I complain if someone else did it? No. Would I recomend it? No.

Lone Frogman
02-10-2009, 06:41
People don't smoke cigarettes/cigars. The cigarettes/ cigars smoke. The people are the suckers.

7thcanuck
02-20-2009, 01:05
it all depends if you view yourself as an athlete and pursue diving seriously, in which case you would not smoke at all. On the other hand, you might dive for the fun of it , in which case if you take pleasure in smoking it should be part of the experience.

bandit6789
02-26-2009, 21:45
just eat the brownies!

lmao, how is a Tobacco brownie? :smilie39:

You mean, nobody has figured out a way to smoke while at depth? You could really get your bang for your buck under the extra pressure. lol

DivingAnarchy.info
02-27-2009, 05:45
I gave up smoking 3 years ago and after 1 week non smoking I was hospitalised with a high fever and dehydration caused by the side effects.

I didn't smoke for 3 months (and didn't feel the need for it too) untill there was that Marlboro moment and I couldn't resist. Now I am smoking again for about 3 years and use air as much as OW student divers.
I recently learned about a medicine called Zyban that takes away the urge to smoke and seems to be very effective. The down side is that it is an anti deppresiva and I don't think that it would be good while diving.
Anybody has experience using anti depressiva while diving?

Pandora
03-23-2009, 17:44
I gave up smoking 3 years ago and after 1 week non smoking I was hospitalised with a high fever and dehydration caused by the side effects.

I didn't smoke for 3 months (and didn't feel the need for it too) untill there was that Marlboro moment and I couldn't resist. Now I am smoking again for about 3 years and use air as much as OW student divers.
I recently learned about a medicine called Zyban that takes away the urge to smoke and seems to be very effective. The down side is that it is an anti deppresiva and I don't think that it would be good while diving.

Why were you hospitalised? I hae been smoking for years, and I am trying to quit now. I am down to five a day and plan on decreasing from there. I am drinking lots of water, brushing my teeth when I want a smoke, and cheeing the nic. gum. I have quit once before (prego) and know I can do it again.

I smoke befre and after dies and always feel like a criminal. It is a horrible habit and will eventually effect my ability to die in my old age. I also think they just jumped to like 7 bucks a pack....that is alot of money.

thagar
03-24-2009, 13:43
Not a doctor, but I think as long as you don't smoke during a dive you will be OK... aside from the increase risk of a whole ton of bad stuff.

How do you smoke during a dive? Do you light it on the surface and smoke under water? Sorry I couldn't resist.

mocepts
03-24-2009, 13:47

I can't speak to the affects on diving, but I can tell you that after my wife trying about every other method to quit smoking, Zyban was the only thing that worked for her.

fanatique
03-24-2009, 23:43

How do you smoke during a dive? Do you light it on the surface and smoke under water? Sorry I couldn't resist.

Underwater casing? With one-way purge valve for the smoke? :smiley2:

Holy_Diver
08-17-2012, 04:25
This thread is old, But this is the only place I've seen with people actually giving opinions about smoking and diving. Ive only been smoking for about 2 years and diving for about 3 months, (so im not exactly a salty dog.. yet ;). I smoke on the way, between dives, and on the drive home. Not really proud of it, and one woman actually asked me how I smoke and dive. Didn't really know how to answer so I replied jokingly, "I smoke before and after i dive. Haven't figured out how to do both at the same time!". We both had a good laugh! Anywho, I've been reading up on it and it sounds as if the main problems with diving and smoking are, air being trapped in the lung membranes at depth (and of course expanding on the ascent), and a buildup of carbon monoxide to poisonous levels. Both have pretty deadly outcomes. As other have already said on here, Its never a good thing to smoke in the first place.

SEMO Scuba
08-17-2012, 11:36
If you have only been smoking for 2 years you are probably still young. QUIT NOW. DON"T WAIT UNTIL YOU ARE OLDER.

I started smoking at the age of 15 and quit about 20 years ago. Just think how much money that you could save to spend on diving!!

navyhmc
08-17-2012, 16:50
I have to agree with SEMO HD, only smoking for 2 years? Quit now. It's been a pleasure to meet you on the day you quit smoking.

A few other things to consider: As SEMO said, no smoking means no buying cigarettes which means more money for diving - gear and trips.

It's more than CO and other nasties building up in your lungs, smoking degrades the functional capabitilies of the lungs as well as pulmonary effiecency. This means a crappy CSAC rate. No smoking = better SAC = longer dives.

Drop the smokes, substitute a workout for the habit and make it a win-win situation.

mcr0112
08-19-2012, 15:15
I smoked cigars nd chewed tobacco for years, Gave it up for about 5 yrears then started again. Stopped about 2 years ago using chantrix. It worked for me with the only side effects was that I became super hyper for a about 10 minutes serveral times aday. Doctor said I was just wierd. I went out both toimes and bought a new vehicle and paid for it from tobacco money. Holy Diver you should quit now. I can actually smell things now and taste the food I eat. Go on more dives trips with money saved.

seriousdiver
09-01-2012, 11:38
Go on more dives trips with money saved.

I don't get the mentality that you can't do anything because otherwise it cuts into X activity.

I am not a cigarette smoker but do enjoy cigars. I only do them once or twice a month and when on vacation but I figure I could be doing far worse things to my body.

I quit going to starbucks every day because I realized I was spending $10-20 a DAY on a drink and some food that I didn't need; now I get to save a little over $5,000 a year from that, and I maybe spend $50 a month on cigars.

I bet all the people saying they can go on more dive trips if they quit cigars/cigarettes then go joyriding(wasting gas) or have other vices that cost far more than $5-10 a day.

That said it seems like it would be fun to light up after a dive while on the boat, but only if the rest of the boat is okay with the smoke.

I love fast food, cigars, alcohol, and southern comfort food; yet I'm shockingly healthy thanks to a proactive lifestyle consisting of exercise and moderation.

chinacat46
09-01-2012, 11:53
I've been known to smoke a cigar a time or two. I've even done it on dive trips but it's probably been at least 3 years since I smoked a cigar. That being said a good friend turns 50 in May of 2013 and looks like a few of us will be in the Philippines diving so I'm willing to bet I'll be smoking a cigar at least one night after the diving is done.

Dred
02-09-2014, 03:01
tks It is not so difficult to do. If you don't want to try this than i will say don't try. It could be dangerous for you because you afraid of this. So good luck and keep diving.