PDA

View Full Version : Northeners coming down to go down :>

Merrimorte
11-13-2008, 12:22
Hey guys looks like some of us may be coming down for a visit this summer! Care to help us out with some sugjestions?

http://forum.scubatoys.com/midwest/19029-mo-south-il-dive-locations-not-miss.html

gNats
11-13-2008, 12:28
Hey guys looks like some of us may be coming down for a visit this summer! Care to help us out with some sugjestions?

http://forum.scubatoys.com/midwest/19029-mo-south-il-dive-locations-not-miss.html

Thanks Merri!

Merrimorte
11-13-2008, 12:49

Thanks Merri!

My pleasure! These guys know lots of stuff about the area! Right DW? DS? BB? GUYS?!

Largo
11-13-2008, 18:11
If you stay in Branson, MO... Table Rock Lake is right there, and there are other dive sites within a short drive. Plus, there is non-scuba stuff to do there. I.E. Tony Bennett has a show there.

navyhmc
11-13-2008, 18:50
Tony Bennett??? He's still alive?

Merrimorte
11-15-2008, 21:07
Well thanks for your suggestions thus far! Appreciate them and keep em coming! We tried to get those on sb interested too... but we all know how those folk are! :smiley11:

Thanks for your hosiptality!

Dark Wolf
11-16-2008, 20:35
I like Oronogo in Missouri, Beaver Lake in Arkansas, and Mermet Springs in Illinois. Hope to be able to post a report on Table Rock Lake in Missouri next month!

DW

Merrimorte
11-17-2008, 12:00
I like Oronogo in Missouri, Beaver Lake in Arkansas, and Mermet Springs in Illinois. Hope to be able to post a report on Table Rock Lake in Missouri next month!

DW

Thanks DW, we gots some of em on our list already... Look forward to diving with ya'll down there <:

plot
11-22-2008, 18:44
beaver has some awesome sites, downside is very few of them are shore dives. need some type of water transportation to get to the good walls or the helicopter/airplanes.

cummings66
11-22-2008, 22:53
C&J has great prices on their dive trips and it's reasonable to do that with them.

plot
11-28-2008, 19:19
C&J has very reasonable very basic rooms to stay in also. nothing fancy at all, just a place to sleep and store your dive gear.

Dark Wolf
11-30-2008, 09:10
I was wondering how the planning is coming along?

DW

gNats
11-30-2008, 14:27
Pretty good. So far there are about 6 divers interested in heading down. As we get closer, we may find a few extras.

We do know that we are doing Oronogo on the 4th. I believe THG, Belew and a few others from your neck of the woods are planning on being there.

We are still trying to determine the other dive dates/locations. We both want to do Mermet, Table Rock, and Bonne Terre Mines, which I believe but not positive, are within a do-able stones throw of each other. We haven't decided which dates to do those locations, want to check availability of the gang down there and pick a day/location where the most people can join us.

So, please mark your calendar for Saturday, July 4th at Oronogo. That is pretty solid.

gNats

I was wondering how the planning is coming along?

DW

navyhmc
11-30-2008, 17:39
I will definitely try to make it too! That's a weekend I work, but I think I can get it off between now and then.

cummings66
11-30-2008, 20:42
Bonne Terre Mines, which I believe but not positive, are within a do-able stones throw of each other.

You live out of state so it's acceptable to dive Bonne Terre Mines. Those of us that live here dive elsewhere, only tourists dive there.

Actually, from rumors I've heard it's a good dive if you want to dive in clear water and have good air consumption. Not bad at all. There are restrictions so be sure to call and discuss the dive and what you should plan on there.

I'm sure you will enjoy your trip here, lots of good diving to be had, just make the time to do it all. Hopefully Beaver and Tablerock lake will be cleared up and in good shape by then. I'm betting it's not half bad now anyways.

KennyD
12-01-2008, 15:30
Like Cummings said, Bonne Terre Mines is a good dive if you live out of state. I've been there a couple of times with students. It's sorta a cattle drive dive is the only bad thing. No lights are allowed and it's all guided tour while diving. Great Viz...Around 100' or better and pretty cold. Hope to see you at Oronogo or Table Rock Lake next July.

Bonne Terre Mines, which I believe but not positive, are within a do-able stones throw of each other.

You live out of state so it's acceptable to dive Bonne Terre Mines. Those of us that live here dive elsewhere, only tourists dive there.

Actually, from rumors I've heard it's a good dive if you want to dive in clear water and have good air consumption. Not bad at all. There are restrictions so be sure to call and discuss the dive and what you should plan on there.

I'm sure you will enjoy your trip here, lots of good diving to be had, just make the time to do it all. Hopefully Beaver and Tablerock lake will be cleared up and in good shape by then. I'm betting it's not half bad now anyways.

cummings66
12-01-2008, 18:28
My issue with them is mainly one of, I will not under any conditions forgo any gear I consider safety related, and IMO in that environment I consider a light to be a life critical piece of gear. They will not take it from me, thus I will never dive there because I will not bend to their rules and they won't bend to mine.

I get their point, they have a light in the back, and one in the front. All divers are between point A and point B. If a diver in the middle lit up and the tail diver had a problem the diver in lead might not realize it because he's used to knowing the only light behind him is the rear end.

I just do not believe that's safe and so I won't dive there. Besides, my can is part of my weighting and I'll be danged if I'll put on a lead belt.

But, if you can put up with the rules it's a nice dive to do. Good vis, and neat stuff to see. Bring your logbook by the way.

KennyD
12-01-2008, 19:45
Yes,
I dove there before I "Drank the Kool Aid" myself.. And I agree and understand all of your concerns. DIR is a wonderful thing in the eyes of people like you and I. :smiley20:

My issue with them is mainly one of, I will not under any conditions forgo any gear I consider safety related, and IMO in that environment I consider a light to be a life critical piece of gear. They will not take it from me, thus I will never dive there because I will not bend to their rules and they won't bend to mine.

I get their point, they have a light in the back, and one in the front. All divers are between point A and point B. If a diver in the middle lit up and the tail diver had a problem the diver in lead might not realize it because he's used to knowing the only light behind him is the rear end.

I just do not believe that's safe and so I won't dive there. Besides, my can is part of my weighting and I'll be danged if I'll put on a lead belt.

But, if you can put up with the rules it's a nice dive to do. Good vis, and neat stuff to see. Bring your logbook by the way.

cummings66
12-01-2008, 22:07
I'm not DIR and I don't mind being led around, in fact that's kind of fun sometimes. I also wouldn't say I'll never dive there because one does not know the future, it's just not likely until I can bring the gear I think the dive requires.

Always be prepared is what I say.

gNats
12-02-2008, 08:30

I was under the impression that the mine had submerged lights (similar to a pool) throughout it. Is this an incorrect understanding?

cowgirldiver
12-02-2008, 09:13
Too bad about the 4th-I always work at a boy scout fireworks stand that day. Maybe I'll get to catch up with you guys somewhere else-after all, we have to compare our honorary man cards!!!

gNats
12-02-2008, 09:42
Too bad about the 4th-I always work at a boy scout fireworks stand that day. Maybe I'll get to catch up with you guys somewhere else-after all, we have to compare our honorary man cards!!!

Absolutely CowGirl! We still have to decide on a Sunday dive location. Merri and I want to use Sat/Sun to hit the two locations where the most people will be at for us to meet and socialize. We will probably dive Bonne Terre Mines during the week, since they are guided tours and not many local divers will be interested in going.

I'm going to start a new thread for Sat/Sun dive options.

Brandon Belew
12-02-2008, 15:18
Not that were not interested in Bonne Terre, just can't afford it :(

Merrimorte
12-02-2008, 16:17
Not that were not interested in Bonne Terre, just can't afford it :(

Well personally I don't think I can either. :<

Wkndbum
12-02-2008, 18:41
I'm not DIR and I don't mind being led around, in fact that's kind of fun sometimes. I also wouldn't say I'll never dive there because one does not know the future, it's just not likely until I can bring the gear I think the dive requires.

Always be prepared is what I say.

Actually Matt the last time I was there our guide said it was ok to carry a back up light, JUST DON'T TURN IT ON UNLESS THERE IS A SAFETY ISSUE, they made that pretty clear. Most of the guides are easy to get along with & probably wouldn't care what kind of light that you carried as long as it wasn't used (except in case of). Two divers on our last trip were filming (BIG LIGHTS)

We're doing our New Year's weekend dive down there this year. Pricey...Yea but it's a neat dive. After my first trip a couple years ago I said "OK, been there done that, probably never go back", well this will be my 3rd trip. Good thing I'm not a local, huh?:smiley2:

Terry

KennyD
12-02-2008, 19:36
No, All lights are overhead mounted on the cave wall. It's plenty of light though and it keeps people from going or trying to go where they shouldn't.

I was under the impression that the mine had submerged lights (similar to a pool) throughout it. Is this an incorrect understanding?

cummings66
12-03-2008, 11:52
Actually Matt the last time I was there our guide said it was ok to carry a back up light, JUST DON'T TURN IT ON UNLESS THERE IS A SAFETY ISSUE, they made that pretty clear.
Terry

I'm glad to see they've relaxed the light requirements. At one time you couldn't even take it with you. But as you said and I mentioned in passing they have it pretty light as is.