PDA

View Full Version : My Girlfreind wants to dive with me but....

chewyjr15
08-17-2007, 16:19
She is so small she is 5 foot 3 110 pounds and can hardly lift an empty 80cf tank. Do you think she can still learn without being dependant on me to do everything for her? i would love for her to be my buddy as i know i can trust her.

torrey
08-17-2007, 16:28
Is she dependent on you to do everything for her now? Or is she a take-charge kinda gal (within physical limits)? Lifting the gear is the hard part...once it's on it's not too bad. And she could always inflate the BC and put it in the water with the tank on and then put it on in the water to make it easier.

Foo2
08-17-2007, 16:33
I am 5'3" and 120, I can do it just fine...she will too. She will have to learn how to do it all herself in her class anyway. Don't worry. ;)

No Misses
08-17-2007, 16:34
With her smaller frame, maybe a 60 cf would be a better fit. Don't laugh. But, steel 80's are shorter and weigh in at 28lbs empty.

3rdEye
08-17-2007, 16:38
like torrey said, i think it depends on her attitude towards these kinds of things.....my rule is anyone who is going to dive or do any kind of thing like this with me is going to carry their own weight, and schlep their own equipment around, or somehow make do.

ScubaToys Larry
08-17-2007, 16:42
And there are a lot of 10 - 12 year olds being certified these days, so most places have smaller tanks for rent and training. We have al 50's which are a lot shorter and lighter that we use for smaller students.

chewyjr15
08-17-2007, 16:53
ok so if im diving with her and im using a steel 100 or al 80 and shes using an al 69 or 50 than my dives would be cit short correct? becuase she woudl have to come up and not have as much BT because of using a smaller tanks right?

dallasdivergirl
08-17-2007, 16:53
I am 5'6" 112 lbs and I have some issues with my gear being heavy.
I have found that leaning over helps me with it if I am shore diving if I am waiting on a group. If the gear is set up carrying everything should be easy with the bcd. Any kind of table that can help "stage" the from the ground to the back is very helpful as well.

She will probably use less air that you since she & her lungs are smaller than yours! This may take a few dives to happen

Illini_Fan
08-17-2007, 17:03
General "rule of thumb" is that women have better air consumption than men. Obviously a newly certified OW woman, probably won't best a male instructor in SAC rate, but the general rule applies if the other factors are equal.

Depending upon the difference in your breathing, the cylinder size might not have any impact on you being able to stay under for the same amount of time.

No Misses
08-17-2007, 17:07
chewy, that may not be a problem. You may find that her SAC rate is much lower than yours. I know several ladies that have a much lower SAC than me. Wait, that didn't come out right. Thier air consumption was much less than mine. Yeh, that sounds better.
SAC = Surface Air Consumption

namabiru
08-17-2007, 17:17
Yes, if she has the desire to dive, she will learn how to handle her gear.

While empty 80s are lighter than full ones, the weight *does* take a bit of getting used to. However, she can do it. It's amazing how "I can't" things can sometimes be conquered by overcoming your mind and working at something. I have trouble with taking my gear from the ground up. So, I use a tailgate, or a table. Ladders can sometimes be a challenge. So, I take a bit of weight out of my BCD, or take my belt off.

Best of luck!

NitroWill
08-17-2007, 17:19
She can do it if she wants to..
A lot of DMs/boatcrew will help you walk to the entry point if you just ask..
And if its a shore dive/lake dive she can easily have you carry it tl you get into the water :smiley36:

ReefHound
08-17-2007, 17:20
ok so if im diving with her and im using a steel 100 or al 80 and shes using an al 69 or 50 than my dives would be cit short correct? becuase she woudl have to come up and not have as much BT because of using a smaller tanks right?

I'll bet once she gets a little experience, she could dive a 50cf and run you flat out of air.

deepdiver47
08-17-2007, 17:53
if it is boat dive then learn the skill of having someone give you your gear while you are in the water. Getting in and out of your BCD in the water is a skill that everyone should know. Just watch out for areas that have a current.

I do it on every trip just fine.

thor
08-17-2007, 17:55
My wife is tiny. She uses a 50 or 60cf tankl and always outlasts me on air. .As far as equipment is concerned, she hates to shore dive or dive in a quarry because there is usually a nice walk to the water with all of your gear on. She needs help with that, and I usually have to grab the bottom of her tank for support while she walks to the water.

If you boat dive, there is less gear to schlep around and it's never an issue. We have a big travel bag, so I schlep her gear around.

What's wrong with helping your gilfriend out anyway?

namabiru
08-17-2007, 18:16

Now, the boats I've been on (and I'm by no means a seasoned dive traveler), you are usually helped automatically.

creggur
08-17-2007, 18:17
My wife is 5'1" and 105. She won't let me help with her gear, she's real stubborn like that though.. She has dived al63's and is going to try an 80 this weekend.

I'll tell you what's most important is her comfort in her gear. My wife, God bless her, put up with ill-fitting stuff through training, and it made things a lot harder on her. They just didn't have anything that fit her. She ended up in a XS Zena from Zeagle. Made a world of difference for her. I'm not putting in a plug for Zeagle here, I'm just saying I think fit is even MORE important for smaller folks, cause they don't have the mass to counter shifting tanks, weights, and such..

No doubt she can do it if she wants too. Tell her good luck, and if she has any questions about anything PM me and my wife will be glad to help her out..Ya know from one vertically challanged person to another!!:smiley20:

chewyjr15
08-17-2007, 18:32
thanks for you help guys I really appreciate it! You guys are so helpful, I will go ahead nad let her read this so she knows that she can do it with my help and i will let you all know how to goes

THanks!

NitroWill
08-17-2007, 18:36

Now, the boats I've been on (and I'm by no means a seasoned dive traveler), you are usually helped automatically.

It really depends on the boat, the crew, and how bad your wailing your arms around and how tipsy you look :smiley36: Most DMs do automatically help the smaller people on board but will only ask if others need help not to emberass or hurt anyones machoness :smiley36:

creggur
08-17-2007, 18:48
Good luck to her!! This place is a great resource for this kind of thing. Let her know there is a womens only section on the forum where she can get tips, and pointers from other women as well...

Let us know how she does!!! I'll bet we have another certified diver with us before too long!!

DivingsInMyBlood
08-17-2007, 18:58
Im sure she could handle a tank like that. Im sure if you help her into it and she leans forward she will be fine getting the gear on.

BuzzGA
08-17-2007, 22:33
Don't push the tank size issue. I grew up in the water and my wife grew up an Army brat so way far from the water so while I was comfortable in my gear right away and frankly more comfortable in the water than on land it took her more time to get used to everything. Once we found her gear SHE was comfortable with her confidence went through the roof and she's now a great diver. Find the gear your girlfriend is comfortable with...forget about the size of the tank or the name on the gear and get your girlfriend comfortable with the gear then don't stand between her and the water or you could get run over.

ZydeDiverDC
08-17-2007, 22:56
Hello Everyone, this is my first post .. and I hope that it will be taken in a positive way.

My first thought after your posed question was.. why were you so concerned as to whether she would be 'dependant on you" rather than if you could keep up with her!
Geez I have known lots of smaller type people, disabled people and children even that are so very "able" in the diving arena. Tank size, diving style, boat vs shore.. all not withstanding.. dependancy I have found doesn't occur with size or disability but rather with attitude, education and fear.

We all need to have a double ck with our buddies. Even the most experienced diver should not take for granted the "once over" given by his buddy! saves lives.

I have no problem helping any one with equipment, on or off the boat or size. I came into the scuba diving venue because I liked the people first and the sport second. and I haven't regretted it yet!

She may not want YOU as a buddy for reasons unknown. But if you take the time to be a buddy.. to sincerely care.. what's it matter ...

If she has the best of attitudes, is not afraid but knows respect for the sea, and is informed.. all with be bliss!!

at least .. this has been my experience. short as it is. The best to the both of you in this endeavor! May you both dive happily .. dependant only on the love of the sea.. and the great people you may have the potential to dive with!
blue

divnlite
08-17-2007, 23:15
Hey Chewy
I'm 5'3" and 120 on a fat day. I lug around an 80Al down the dirt path at the quarry no problem. (ok I bitch a bit but has nothing to do with the weight of the gear, generally just the 95 to 100 degree weather)
I have dove with steel 95's and loved it....no additional weight, long bottom times. I have always managed to climb into the boat(s) with my gear and haven't needed any help so far and I'm an old chick too! So encourage her and she will probably surprise you. Even us "little girls" can be tough.

ParrotHead
08-18-2007, 00:19
I have found that leaning over helps me with it if I am shore diving if I am waiting on a group. If the gear is set up carrying everything should be easy with the bcd. Any kind of table that can help "stage" the from the ground to the back is very helpful as well.

A popular idea used up at our quarry - is to get a workmate or portable workbench - these "X-Sawhorses" seem to be the rage now (see http://www.toolsnob.com/archives/2007/05/husky_heavyduty_xsawhorse_revi.php) and are less then $40 at Home Depot.

TAH 73
08-18-2007, 08:38
http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Tankcarrier
Get her one of these. Kala (fiancee) just fiished her OW course and her issue with the tank was not the size/weight (using an 63cf) but carrying the tank by the valve spread her smaller fingers too far apart. and she ended up carrying the weight out on her fingertips.
ot a tank carry straps and she was good to go.

plot
08-18-2007, 09:50
just takes proper technique to carry it. besides, if she learns how to put it on in the water you can strap a 100steel to her and let her go. (after class anyways)

namabiru
08-18-2007, 10:36
It really depends on the boat, the crew, and how bad your wailing your arms around and how tipsy you look :smiley36: Most DMs do automatically help the smaller people on board but will only ask if others need help not to emberass or hurt anyones machoness :smiley36:

*nods*. T'is true. In Cozumel, by default, the crew grabbed backs of tanks while we were walking to the edge. Then again, this was because, for whatever reason, they wanted us to put our fins on and shuffle to the boat edge. And most boats I've been on, someone grabs the tank back while you're scooting up the ladder for everyone. I guess that was the kind of help I was referring to.

Thanks for posting the link, ParrotHead! I had heard about this inexpensive table which you could use as a scuba staging area for shore dives, but could never find it. I've written the name down, and intend to get one to include in my sea shipment :)

lucidblue
08-18-2007, 20:09
I'm 5'4" and weigh 120 lbs and can carry my gear around without a problem. This past weekend I carried steel 80s around without a problem. Admittedly, I do a lot of weight lifting at the gym, but have lightened up on that lately because of a shoulder issue.

My only problem is lifting 3rdEye's steel 100 and BC (with weights) when he's putting his gear on. He lifts it up and rests it on my knee and then I hold it there while he gets it on.

I think your gf will do fine. If she needs to gain some strength she should hit the gym and do some weight lifting.

thor
08-18-2007, 20:15

A popular idea used up at our quarry - is to get a workmate or portable workbench - these "X-Sawhorses" seem to be the rage now (see http://www.toolsnob.com/archives/2007/05/husky_heavyduty_xsawhorse_revi.php) and are less then $40 at Home Depot.

I have seen these a lot also. Helpful when you first put on gear, or at the end of the dive you can just rest the tank on it while you take off the BC

lucidblue
08-18-2007, 20:22

I like this idea. The quarry by me has picnic tables that people use, but they're normally full.

Buoyant1
08-18-2007, 23:01
Heck...they have smaller tanks! And being that small, she won't use more than a cubic foot or two of air!

I dont even want to THINK of how heavy my full cylinder is! I'm even considering doubling them in a year or two!

Liv7301
08-19-2007, 21:49

I like this idea. The quarry by me has picnic tables that people use, but they're normally full.

My father made us a gear bench that we fashioned after the "Beast Bench" at CSSP. It's a two-person set up so that we can both use it at the same time, with side trays for weight pouches, and hooks for masks, fins, etc. Actually I will probably just show a pic of it in a new thread somewhere in the gear section. We used for the first time during our AOW weekend and it worked out great. I have seen other divers make one man set ups out of those kinds of sm. work tables found at Sears/Lowes/Home Depot and those work great too. A real buddy and back saver!

NitroWill
08-19-2007, 21:51
Ive seen someone have their gear all assembled and use a luggage roller to wheel it right up to the water entry - then they don their gear right in the water..when its much lighter :)

cgvmer
08-19-2007, 21:56
I am going to run into this problem when my daughter goes for her OW ...I will check if the shop has 63cf tanks.

NitroWill
08-19-2007, 21:58
I am going to run into this problem when my daughter goes for her OW ...I will check if the shop has 63cf tanks.

If not...Scuba Toys does..
http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=AL63

:smiley36:

dmdoss
08-19-2007, 22:22
Just get her to try it. My 13 yr. old daughter can lug it around. Heck shes 5' 1" and 90 lbs.

itry2fly
08-19-2007, 22:33
My 10 year old daughter uses a 63cf tank. At the end of the dives, we usually hit 1000psi at about the same time (when I have an 80). She can lean over and carry the tank no problem, but looks a little like those "strong man" competitions on ESPN, when they carry the tree trunks on their back. Hunched over and scrambling for water like a newborn turtle, she heads for positive bouyancy as soon as possible. One thing I did notice, the first BCD she tried on in the confined water dive did not fit right. So when it came time to get out of the pool, the BC shifted around so much with the weight I thought was going to flip her. Generally, a little lifting help on the reg/top of the tank when walking back out of the water to take gear off is all the help that is usually needed.

namabiru
08-20-2007, 13:51
That's a good point too. If your BCD doesn't fit quite right, it's hard to carry the tanks on your back.

But as far as lifting the tank by the valve and packing, anyone can work up to it. It's just like weight training :)

dallasdivergirl
08-20-2007, 13:55
Lugging tanks around is weight lifting for me.

I did swipe a picnic table last time but it was a nice long walk to the entry. My left arm would be numb by the time I got down there.

Vercingetorix
08-20-2007, 14:30
Tis past Saturday, I watched one of our divers (10 year-old girl, not much bigger than a toothpick) sling her 63 cf tank very easily. She probably could have handled an 80 cf, but why? Her father (a experienced DM) sucked down air faster than she did.

mountaindiver
08-20-2007, 17:42
I would love for my WIFE to come diving with me, if you have somebody that is willing to dive with you take them diving!!! Dive buddies arn't always the easiest to find. I also teach diving at a scout camp in UTAH, the small kids that I get, 65-95 pounds, not only have to pack the tank but also usually an additional 20-30 pounds to get them and the wetsuit under the water. That is not hard, and unless you are a total wimp, you can help your girl friend pack the heavy stuff to the water and let her get into the gear in the water. She may even THANK you for it.

Where's The Water?

chewyjr15
08-20-2007, 18:26
she has decided to learn to dive with me, and we will take classes together in late november early december.

thanks for all your help guys and gals!

Chewy