PDA

View Full Version : Doing OW dives tommorrow

Bassnh
11-13-2008, 14:43
Finsihed the classroom and pool sessions. I could not wait until spring to get certified. I am going out Tommorrow and Sunday to do my certification dives in New Hamphsire. Should be cold but I think I will survive.

gNats
11-13-2008, 14:46
Finsihed the classroom and pool sessions. I could not wait until spring to get certified. I am going out Tommorrow and Sunday to do my certification dives in New Hamphsire. Should be cold but I think I will survive.

Just think about how much you will appreciate diving in July/Aug temps next year!

TKHouse
11-13-2008, 14:50
Wow, I was nervous about diving a week from now in Georgia, but I guess if there's still people doing OW checkout dives in New Hampshire then I have nothing to worry about.

Any idea what the water temperature is expected to be?

MSilvia
11-13-2008, 14:53
Should be in the low 50s at the surface, mid 40s at depth. Good luck!

Bassnh
11-13-2008, 15:03
I was told it should be in the 40's. Hopefully all the gear I got will protect me. I am a little nervous but ready to go. I want to do my AOW in May.

Bassnh
11-13-2008, 15:05

Just think about how much you will appreciate diving in July/Aug temps next year!

Maybe I will be diving only in a shortie if I survive this :smilie39:. THanks for all the input

MSilvia
11-13-2008, 15:07
May is likely to have the same temps as November. Don't worry... you'll have a great time. I'f you're concerned about the temperature, bring a thermos of hot (not scalding) water and dump some in your suit before you dive. It'll keep the cold water from seeping in too fast, and will help make the transition gradual, so the loss of your core warmth will start later in the dive.

chicken
11-13-2008, 18:17
I couldn't wait either, I am doing my advanced open water checkout dives this weekend in Florida. Too cold in Georgia but too long until spring. Maybe I'll do the Nitrox course that only requires a warm classroom before April.

Charles R
11-13-2008, 18:37
Congrats and start saving for that Drysuit you will be pondering soon.:smiley20:

heydn62
11-14-2008, 09:08
I couldn't wait either, I am doing my advanced open water checkout dives this weekend in Florida. Too cold in Georgia but too long until spring. Maybe I'll do the Nitrox course that only requires a warm classroom before April.

Where are you diving in FL? I want to go back to Crystal River this winter when the Manatee are around. I went in April this year for my OW checkout dives and saw only one.

Like your avatar. Looks like a Viking Crown lounge. Love to hangout there when my ship leaves the port.

navyhmc
11-14-2008, 13:21
All I can say is good luck and have fun! Don't worry too much, you're just doing skills in a very big pool...with less vis...and fish...and cold water.

mm_dm
11-14-2008, 13:35
All I can say is good luck and have fun! Don't worry too much, you're just doing skills in a very big pool...with less vis...and fish...and cold water.

Exactly...and anything that could have hurt you is frozen solid now :)
Not really...just follow Matt Silva's advice and you'll be fine. Make sure you stay well hydrated.

Good luck!

MSilvia
11-14-2008, 13:46
a very big pool...with less vis...and fish...and cold water.
The fish are starting to head for deeper water. Hopefully "too cold for the fish" won't discourage you too much. :)

Bassnh
11-14-2008, 17:25
I just got back from my first dives. What a day. Thanks for all the advice. The day started horrible. My wifes car wouldn't start. I had to run home to jump start her car. We took my truck to the lake (well most of the way.).The fuel pump died on the way. Had to have the instructors wife come rescue us. What a sweethart for doing that. After that the dives were wonderful. Once i got in the water wasn't that bad. I survived three dives today. We are going to do the final dive on Sunday in the Ocean. I was just amazed at what we did. The skills were just like in the pool. I thought that doing the CESA in the lake was much easier than in the pool. The fish were still hanging around. We saw a bunch of bass just hanging out at 20- 30 ft. The water temp was 45 degrees. One more dive to go and I will be certified.

James1010
11-14-2008, 18:09
Brrrrrrrr. Hey have fun and enjoy your dive!! Don't forget to grab something as a memory of your first dive.

Bassnh
11-16-2008, 10:01
The final dive was cancelled today due to weather conditions. I have to wait until saturday to finish. One more dive to go. This will be a long week.

SynCitizen
11-16-2008, 11:32
Other than getting the transportation out of the way sounds like the OW skills should go well for you. Maybe you can use some of your waiting time this week to find a comfy spot to sit, relax and visualize what you've been practicing.
Good luck next saturday and have fun !!!

Bassnh
11-16-2008, 18:25
Once i got the first dive out of the way (ok the first 5 minutes) I had a great time. When we did the second dive and start doing skills it was like doing it in the pool. (only a little deeper) We went down to 55 feet. It was like it was second nature.

chicken
11-16-2008, 21:10
I just got back from my trip to Florida. The boat dives were canceled because of weather so we went to Vortex Spring Saturday and Sunday. Now I know why drysuits are so expensive...because they are worth it! I was chilly in the 7mm suit but not enough to stop diving.

It was my first fresh water dive and it was pretty cool. After two days, six dives, and tons of hot liquids we were done. The best news is I earned my NAUI advanced diver certification!

Now onto the warm classroom for a little Nitrox lesson before Christmas!

BarbadosSlim93
11-22-2008, 12:54
The final dive was cancelled today due to weather conditions. I have to wait until saturday to finish. One more dive to go. This will be a long week.

Good luck on the final dive! Let us know how it went when you get back.

Bassnh
11-22-2008, 15:25
Yeah I am finally certified. We did the final dive today. The air temp was 26. The water temp was 45. After I finally got down it was awesome. We saw a lobster and a crab. The worst part was getting dressed after the dive. The Instructor and his buddy were wearing drysuits. Next on my list to get. All in all it was an awesome day.

SynCitizen
11-22-2008, 16:42
Congratulations !!!!

RnSdiver
11-22-2008, 17:27
Congratz and welcome the Fishy Family. :)