PDA

View Full Version : Let's Talk 5mm Wetsuits

gNats
11-14-2008, 11:51
Hi Ladies,

I am planning a dive trip to Bonaire in Janaury and thought a 5mm one piece would be perfect.

I already have a drysuit and a 2pc 7mm. My 7mm is a Henderson Hyperstretch, which I love for its comfort.

The 5mm I am looking to purchase should be:

1) Comfortable. Easy to put on with a silk skin underneath.

2) Racy, sexy, feminine. LOL. Okay, my 7mm is black and boring and I feel like a dirty Michelan man in it. I want something that looks good and is very female looking.

3) Affordable.

#3 is a big one. I will probably only wear the 5mm on warm water dive trips. For really hot temp local diving I have the 7mm and will most likely dive dry year round in Michigan. I don't want to spend a lot of money for something that only gets maybe one use a year.

I'm thinking of a budget < $225. I am 5'2" about 110 lbs. equally proportioned.

The only brand I am familiar with is Henderson. What other manufacturers should I consider?

Foo2
11-14-2008, 12:21
This is a 4mm...but man what a price!
Neo Sport 4/3 Womens Full Wetsuit reviews and discounts, Neosport (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=Neo4_3FullW)

If you aren't concerned about someone telling you, "Your wetsuit is soooo last season.", these might be an option. ;)
Henderson Thermoprene 5mm Full Suit -2007- Womens -BLUE ONLY reviews and discounts, Henderson (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=5mmHendersonThermopreneBlueW omen)
Henderson Thermoprene 5mm Full Suit 2007 - BLACK ONLY reviews and discounts, Henderson (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=5mmThermopreneFullSuit)

This one has a hood attached. Some people like it, some don't.
Womens Mares Origin 5mil Full Suit With Hood reviews and discounts, Mares (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=MaresOriginSuit)

As for sizes, the ST gang can figure it out for you if you give them your measurements. But just for reference, I'm 5'3" & 108lbs and I wear the Henderson size 6. Have fun shopping!

dallasdivergirl
11-14-2008, 13:17
there is the mares trilastic Used Mares Trilastic Deluxe 5-4-3 Suit reviews and discounts, Mares (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=Used543TrilasticSuit) the bare progressive BARE WOMENS PROGRESSIVE STRETCH 5MM FULL SUIT reviews and discounts, Bare (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=5MMPROFULLWOMENS) also Henderson's has the thermoprene's in the newer style, just pm Joe or Larry to find out about pricing on them.

I have the 3-2-2 tri-lastic and the 5 mm origin with a hood from Mares. They both fit me well.

Make sure you look into if you are long legs or long in the torso, that will help a great deal in finding the correct suit.

kong
11-14-2008, 13:24
My wife picked up one of the 5mm 2007 Henderson's and loves it.

gNats
11-14-2008, 13:41
If you aren't concerned about someone telling you, "Your wetsuit is soooo last season.", these might be an option. ;)
Henderson Thermoprene 5mm Full Suit -2007- Womens -BLUE ONLY reviews and discounts, Henderson (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=5mmHendersonThermopreneBlueW omen)

Better they say "soooooo last season" rather than "what? you paid full price?"

:smiley19:

sea princess
11-15-2008, 13:35
Besides who cares what any one else thinks as long as you get to go diving!

SynCitizen
11-15-2008, 14:34
The GF and I both just picked up the Mare trilastic 5/4/3 from ST's. Bought them "used" but I swear if it werent for the price and description you would never of known otherwise. Great fit (for us) and she looks hott in hers.

Daz
11-16-2008, 01:24

Thank you for the link and info. Thanks to you (and ST) My wife just got a new suit for our upcoming CZM trip (she just doesn't know it yet).

Wetnurse28
11-16-2008, 06:06
Your in luck,

I just went to my local LDS and tried on 2 different styles of suits

5mm Henderson Hyperstretch
Amazingly comfortably, very nice suit. BUT I dont think it has the same warmth as other 5mm. Guess you sacrifice warmth for stretch.
SIZING WAS EXACT TO WHAT CHARTS SAID IT WAS

5mm ScubaPro EverFlex ( I think thats it)
Very nice suit, not as stretchy as Henderson, but was better looking suit. IMO it had more style
SIZING CHART WAS NOT EXACT AS I HAD TO GO ONE SIZE BIGGER.

Each suit was 400 brand new, I ended up buying ScubaPro wetsuit as I felt it was stretchy enough to be comfortable and with multiple dives I was planning in Hondurus I needed warm suit.

shawnwill36
11-16-2008, 06:20
is it cold in hondoras? i figured it would be comfy without a wet suit

Zenagirl
11-16-2008, 07:39
Are you sure you need a 5mm for Bonaire? The water should be about 80 degrees, so most folks will be in 3mm full suits at the thickest.

Although it is all black, ST has a great deal on the Pinnacle Elastaprene 3mm full suits. I actually find it to be as warm as my old 5mm Henderson Hyperstretch, mostly because the material isn't as stretchy and the neck and wrist seals are far superior, preventing the water trickle down my back I sometimes got with my Hyperstretch when I moved my head around.

gNats
11-16-2008, 11:03
Are you sure you need a 5mm for Bonaire? The water should be about 80 degrees, so most folks will be in 3mm full suits at the thickest.

Hi ZenaGirl,

My original plan was a 3mm... but, I read on a few other threads that a 3mm may not be enough mid-week through a week of diving. Some other divers felt that after diving a few days, they were getting chilled easier.

I do tend to get cold easier. On a typical July summer night in Michigan, once the sun goes down it's not uncommon for me to don a sweatshirt or fleece pull over on.

This is a tough decision for me... I don't want to buy the 3mm and get cold, but I have to admit, I wonder if I will roast sitting around in a 5mm?

The only time I will wear this exposure suit is in the tropics - which could be at any time of the year.

LOL - I may need a new thread now!

Thanks for Pinnacle recommendation!

Shenanigan
11-16-2008, 11:53
For a 1 week tropical trip, I just use my 3mm Excel. If I'm going on a 2 week trip, I use the 3mm the first week and my 5mm Henderson instadry the second week. That usually works for me. And with the instadry, I'm not bringing home a damp smelly wetsuit!

dallasdivergirl
11-16-2008, 12:07

Hi ZenaGirl,

My original plan was a 3mm... but, I read on a few other threads that a 3mm may not be enough mid-week through a week of diving. Some other divers felt that after diving a few days, they were getting chilled easier.

I do tend to get cold easier. On a typical July summer night in Michigan, once the sun goes down it's not uncommon for me to don a sweatshirt or fleece pull over on.

This is a tough decision for me... I don't want to buy the 3mm and get cold, but I have to admit, I wonder if I will roast sitting around in a 5mm?

The only time I will wear this exposure suit is in the tropics - which could be at any time of the year.

I used a 5mm in bonaire from 4pm to later. you will be happy that you have it.

James1010
11-16-2008, 12:55
Look on Scuba toys, they have some great wet suits and if you go to the sale link there are some on there that are a great price. Also Foo so are some good ones also.

Zenagirl
11-16-2008, 14:08

I also get cold easier...to the tune of wearing a 7mm full in Hawaii in 75 degree water! ;) However, I wore a 3mm Henderson Hyperstretch diving for 2 weeks on Bonaire and although I can't say I was "warm" by the end of the first week, I never was worse than chilly at times, mostly because I could (and did) warm up in the sunshine between dives. Rather than considering taking my 5mm Henderson Hyperstretch for next summer's Bonaire trip, instead I simply bought a warmer 3mm suit, hence the Pinnacle.

You're definitely in a tough spot and I don't envy your position....you just won't know until you've been to Bonaire and back. And since everyone has different cold tolerance, it makes it even worse for you to decide. Let us know what you finally decide and how it works out for you.

Daz
11-16-2008, 14:37
I look at it this way: While diving, if you're cold, it's really tough to get warm, but if you're too warm you can always flush some water in to cool off. If you're worried about overheating before the actual dive, don't suit up until you have to - or just take a quick dip before you gear up (with suit on).

ChrisA
11-16-2008, 15:59
Hi Ladies,

I am planning a dive trip to Bonaire in Janaury and thought a 5mm one piece would be perfect.

I already have a drysuit and a 2pc 7mm. My 7mm is a Henderson Hyperstretch, which I love for its comfort.

The 5mm I am looking to purchase should be:

1) Comfortable. Easy to put on with a silk skin underneath.

2) Racy, sexy, feminine. LOL. Okay, my 7mm is black and boring and I feel like a dirty Michelan man in it. I want something that looks good and is very female looking.

3) Affordable.

#3 is a big one. I will probably only wear the 5mm on warm water dive trips. For really hot temp local diving I have the 7mm and will most likely dive dry year round in Michigan. I don't want to spend a lot of money for something that only gets maybe one use a year.

I'm thinking of a budget < $225. I am 5'2" about 110 lbs. equally proportioned.

The only brand I am familiar with is Henderson. What other manufacturers should I consider?

Take a trip to So Calif. and buy a 5mm suit off the rack for about $100 less then your budget. While here do some dives. We have some of the best diving anyplace and the prices are about the lowest of anyplace in the world. But bring youe 7mm suit for divng. Here in So Cal 5mm is what surfers using in Winter.

I think I could make a good living shipping tanks and wetsuits out of state. People in the midwest and the East seem to pay a lot more. I buy a new 7mm suit every two years in summer and have not yet had to send $175.

BlueC5Kitten
11-18-2008, 08:18
I must be really odd...after the first day of diving in Bonaire with my 3mm suit, I continued the remainder of the week in just a dive skin for protection against jelly stings only (fortunately I did that, because my dive buddy was wearing a shorty and came up in a big bunch of jellies!). I was comfortable the entire time...this was completing 3-4 dives/day (including one night dive per night).

I would recommend you take a 3 and a 5mm, so you have the option, if the 5mm is too warm...unless you would be comfortable renting a suit from the shops there.:smiley2:

gNats
11-18-2008, 08:27
Thanks everyone for your advice!

Since I don't want to afford both a 3 and 5mm, I better make a choice. Neither thickness would offer enough exposure here in Michigan, even during our summer dives. The thermocline can be very chilly in August.

As I've been reading the postings, I remembered I was cold snorkeling in the BVI in April. I usually snorkeled in a poly long sleeve shirt to provide a little warmth. Maybe I am the odd one here? Don't ask how I survive Michigan winters. I wake up everyday between November and May asking myself why I'm still here. (Should have seen me a few years ago when we had a huge snowstorm at the end of April!)

I think I better go with the 5 mil. I do much better a little on the warm side than on the cold side.

gNats
11-19-2008, 21:08
This is a 4mm...but man what a price!
Neo Sport 4/3 Womens Full Wetsuit reviews and discounts, Neosport (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=Neo4_3FullW)

Henderson Thermoprene 5mm Full Suit 2007 - BLACK ONLY reviews and discounts, Henderson (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=5mmThermopreneFullSuit)

This one has a hood attached. Some people like it, some don't.
Womens Mares Origin 5mil Full Suit With Hood reviews and discounts, Mares (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=MaresOriginSuit)

As for sizes, the ST gang can figure it out for you if you give them your measurements. But just for reference, I'm 5'3" & 108lbs and I wear the Henderson size 6. Have fun shopping!

Thank you Foo2. I am going to call ST tomorrow and order the Henderson in Blue.

Thank you EVERYONE for your wonderful advice. I really appreciate the comments!

gNat

Daz
11-19-2008, 21:34
Thank you Foo2. I am going to call ST tomorrow and order the Henderson in Blue.
gNat

That's the one I just ordered for my wife. According to Jordan at ST, it's black with blue arms and chest, not all blue.

BlowingBubbles
11-20-2008, 06:54
I love my Henderson's. Very comfortable and maybe they aren't as stylish as some other models but they're stylish enough for me.

As to the discussion about what mm to take, it's kind of like planning to go somewhere and decide if you need a heavy coat or a lighter jacket. It's hard to warm up with inadequate coverage and once you're cold, forget about it. :smiley5: Granted, it's not like you can remove layers underwater if you get too warm but at least you'll have the coverage if you need it. You can always switch to the 3mil for a later dive if it turns out you need to. Sigh. Trial and error. That's the name of the game in diving for just about everything. :smiley2: