PDA

View Full Version : How different are agency requirements?

sunshine121
11-14-2008, 20:04
I'm curious about the different agencies (PADI, SSI, NAUI) and if their certification requirements are different, how are their courses different, etc.
My husband and I are SSI, my brother is PADI.

Is one agency thought to be more challenging than another? Are the requirements higher for one over the other?

Just be nice when answering.

James1010
11-14-2008, 21:08
I got mine through PADI, the only thing I have noticed is that when I was at a local dive shop with a friend who was certified through I think it was Naui but I am not sure but what happened was he forgot his card and the dive shop was going to look him up under PADI but he wasn't and they couldn't look him up since he was not. I would get certified through a agency that is somehow linked to the others like PADI and so fourth.

ScubaToys Larry
11-14-2008, 21:30
None of them are linked... you look up padi with padi, you look up naui with naui, etc.

Naui requires a bit more academics and water work than Padi, and has rescue in each class - even Open Water. Other than that, they are pretty close.

SynCitizen
11-15-2008, 01:12
Hahaha what are you really trying to say?

sravin1
11-15-2008, 08:09
I got mine through YMCA. They dont offer the same thing anymore, but they moved over to an agency (I dont remember the name) that has similar standards.

If you have the time, I would suggest checking out your local Y. In my opinion, they have the most exhaustive programme (cheaper than most dive shops too).

Zenagirl
11-15-2008, 08:47
I think the bottom line is that the instructor matters most, not the agency standards. Our OW instructor was both PADI and NAUI, and he told us he taught a combo of the two, which included a bit of the rescue stuff (like Larry referenced).

When I compared our OW training with a friend's, clearly our instructor was far more dilligent about us learning the skills than hers. She went straight on to AOW with her same instructor, and when she told me what she learned, it sounded a lot more like what our instructor had done for us in O, particularly with buoyancy and navigation.

So I always say pick the instructor not the agency. Who cares who you get your c-card through, as long as you had a great instructor who taught you well??

SynCitizen
11-15-2008, 11:44
I think the bottom line is that the instructor matters most, not the agency standards. ........

....... So I always say pick the instructor not the agency. Who cares who you get your c-card through, as long as you had a great instructor who taught you well??

+1 Now that is some words of wisdom!

James1010
11-15-2008, 12:03
Thanks Larry, I really feel that they should have some kind of linked data base to where they can search each members list incase something like that happens again. But I know all I can do is complain about it here since theres nothing I can do about it ha ha.

sea princess
11-15-2008, 14:19
thanks for this question..I wondered what the different agencies were. Being so new i only knew about Padi since that is what my friends went thru.
I definately agree that the instructor makes all the difference. Some are very detailed and fun to learn from and are very aware of each persons needs. others are cocky and puff themselves up instead really teaching. I think some have the gift and love to teach and those are the people i love to learn from.

monant
11-15-2008, 14:39
My first instructor back in 1986 was NAUI. I've since had several PADI instructors. From my narrow range of experiences I think much of the quality of the instruction comes from the instructor. Some move you through like cattle. Others teach much more than the agency requires. My NAUI instructor required me to memorize the max no deco times down to 130 ft and taught mixed gas diving theory. I think it gave me a broader base in which to really begin learning.

bigfishK9
11-15-2008, 20:15
YMCA is no longer in the SCUBA business. Our local instructors received a "polite" letter stating to cease use of anything (t-shirts, letterhead, etc.) associating the YMCA with SCUBA.

kjvander
11-25-2008, 13:11
I think if i remember right that PADI and SDI have the option of online verification of certification. and i think that all of SDI academic is done online.....there might be some people that still do classroom...but most is done online. As far as what they teach PADI and other still do tables where SDI is strickly computer (unless the instructor includes tables him/herself).

scubasamurai
11-25-2008, 22:01
the instructor/dive shop owner kinda of put it in a nice way. its a club you belong to and have to follow their rules, if you don't like it than pick another club. the instructor is the key and the guys i work with are all padi and former naui guys and the teach alot of academics and after comparing naui standards they seem to miss some points especially on the number of dives to reach or enter a certain level of training, which i view as a certain level you can pass on to other students your exp , as an instructor level diver.
but just pick your club! its the instructor teaching that matters, and yes my trainer is a real pain on details and it pays off in the long run!