monant
11-15-2008, 17:08
It's better than nothing.

SynCitizen
11-15-2008, 17:27
I like it. *thumbsup

RnSdiver
11-15-2008, 20:31
I'm still new enough that I'll read almost thing diving related, except CDNN.

DMWiz
11-15-2008, 21:48
I like it when it's a good issue and hate it when it's not... but I always like the Lessons for Life section.

Sansho
11-15-2008, 22:44
On the balance, it's pretty good. Agree, Lesson's for Life is a great column.

tc_rain
11-15-2008, 22:58
I would say it is okay but that wasn’t an option so I went with “love it”. I have subscribed to it for the last two years and enjoy reading it but recently started subscribing to Undercurrents and I would say I love it. They provide honest opinions without biases due to paid advertisements.

maverick
11-16-2008, 03:20
Scuba Diving Mag. not bad but Diver Training Mag. is my preference.

neugierig
11-16-2008, 04:35
they're ok. i look forward to their gear reviews, the DAN,and the lessons for life sections.

navyhmc
11-16-2008, 04:38
I'm still indecided. I sort of miss the old Skin Diver magazine (okay, I'm old-er. ) One of it's biggest downfalls was the ger reviews. If you were an advertiser, no matter what, your new gear was the greatest thing since a goat skin bladder and a rock, if you weren't your gear was medicore at best.

So fay, I like waht I see, but the jury is still out.

scubastud
11-16-2008, 05:38
I remember skin diver mag too... did it morph into this one ?
Heck it has great pictures, reviews of dive places and such, and costs what I think 20 bucks a year?
I wouldn't rush out and get gear because it got a good review in the mag, but it is neat to see what's new.

fire diver
11-16-2008, 06:06
I really don't like this mag anymore. My subscription ran out but they keep sending them anyway. I typically give them away to anyone who even thinks about ever wanting to try scuba.

Lots of pretty pictures and flashy adds for places I will never be able to afford to travel to, and gear I would never dream of buying. Basically I think it's worth what I pay for it.

I HATE the Lesson's for Life. The diver's they portray are absolute idiots, and the writers are VERY anti-used gear. Johnny bought a regulator in the pawn shop. Wehn he dove it, it failed and he died. Don't buy used gear or you'll be like Johhny. Sally just finished her BOW training and decided to swim into the stripped-out school bus at a depth of 25 feet. She got narced, silted out the wreck, got lost and died. Don't be like Sally, be sure to take your PADI AOW, Nitrox, deep,wreck, PPB class so you don't die too. I don't even bother to read it at all anymore.

IrishSquid
11-16-2008, 07:03
I really don't like this mag anymore. My subscription ran out but they keep sending them anyway. I typically give them away to anyone who even thinks about ever wanting to try scuba.

Lots of pretty pictures and flashy adds for places I will never be able to afford to travel to, and gear I would never dream of buying. Basically I think it's worth what I pay for it.

I HATE the Lesson's for Life. The diver's they portray are absolute idiots, and the writers are VERY anti-used gear. Johnny bought a regulator in the pawn shop. Wehn he dove it, it failed and he died. Don't buy used gear or you'll be like Johhny. Sally just finished her BOW training and decided to swim into the stripped-out school bus at a depth of 25 feet. She got narced, silted out the wreck, got lost and died. Don't be like Sally, be sure to take your PADI AOW, Nitrox, deep,wreck, PPB class so you don't die too. I don't even bother to read it at all anymore.
Like he said!

DarinMartell
11-16-2008, 13:41
I like it a-lot. It is an awesome value since I picked up a 2 year sub for $20 at a dive show, then was given a additional 6 months through the kindness of Joe & Larry. I also get Dive Training and Alert Diver, I think between the three I get some rounded, diverse reading.

James1010
11-16-2008, 13:45
I like the magazines. Like you said it was better than nothing but there is one issue. I know it's about advertising but there are more things in the mags about selling gear and get away locations. I wish they had more stories and things such as stories of divers having problems and how they fixed them and so fourth. But most mags are all about advertising because thats how they pay for them.

BarbadosSlim93
11-16-2008, 20:49
The magazines are good for me because before I even started diving I used them as a vacation guide, because they included things to do topside. It also get me educated on a lot of topics diving related. I've had a subscription for about a year. I am also a fan of the newer tabloid format.

FishFood
11-16-2008, 20:52
I'm still indecided. I sort of miss the old Skin Diver magazine (okay, I'm old-er. ) One of it's biggest downfalls was the ger reviews. If you were an advertiser, no matter what, your new gear was the greatest thing since a goat skin bladder and a rock, if you weren't your gear was medicore at best.

Yep. Scuba Diver is just one big product placement medium.

Sorta like saturday morning car shows. If you can look past the cheesy-ness, it's midly entertaining :smiley20:

Largo
11-16-2008, 21:03

I agree with Fire Diver. I like to look at the pictures, though.

traildawg59
11-16-2008, 22:38
I like the mag.Just take it for what it offers it is not a trainning book its just a mag.:smiley31:

MSilvia
11-17-2008, 12:10
No, I don't love it. No, I don't hate it either. It occasionally has a worthwhile article, once in a while they review a piece of gear I'm interested in, and the "parting shot" on the inside back cover is usually worth a look. On the other hand, the magazine is more "industry" focused than I am. The articles frequently resemble advertisements for dive locations, and the reviews rarely include gear by small manufacturers. I think of it more as a magazine for "vacation divers" than for people like me who get the vast majority of their recreational diving done in local waters.

I guess the biggest issue I have with the publication is that while there's so much good information out there that you'll never find in "Scuba Diving", I feel like I've seen them rehash the same old questionably useful material several times.

I think they are getting better though.

texdiveguy
11-17-2008, 12:19
The rag has some pretty pictures in it.

mike_s
11-17-2008, 13:58
Need to edit the poll and give more choices. I don't hate it, but I sure don't Love it either.

I mean this magazine just duplicates itself too much. Their "cover story" will always half the time cover some location they've already covered 20 times in past years, like Bahama, Bonaire, Cozumel, or Grand Cayman. Then they have tons of advertising space sold around those print story areas.

yeah they do have some new stuff. but most of their stuff has already been printed before, or something very similar.

I don't really care for their larger page size in magazines either. but that's just personal preference.

they're ok. i look forward to their gear reviews, the DAN,and the lessons for life sections.

Their gear reviews have gotten much better in past years and don't seem as biased towards certain manufacturers (advertisers) as they once did. For example a couple years ago they included the little known XS Scuba Tri Metal as one of their "Muscle Regs". That surprised me and also showed they were opening up some.

At the same time, because of jaded past reviews, some manufacturers still refuse to send gear in for reviews, which makes it seem like they review only the same gear every year.

I don't get excited for the lessons for life section.

I remember skin diver mag too... did it morph into this one ?

Skin Diver went belly up several years ago..... Scuba Diving stepped in and bought up their subscription list and I think coverted them all over to SD mag.

Personally I like Dive Training and Scuba News better. (although Scuba News is somewhat regional and still growing, it has more local advertising and local stories).

IndyDiver
11-17-2008, 17:25
Both.

I like it as a travel magazine with pictures of cool places I aspire to visit someday:smiley20:

I also find some of the gear reviews and lessons for life interesting.

But as a magazine for the serious diver, /*understatement on*/ it leaves something to be desired /*understatement off*/:smiley21:

CFDAlden
11-18-2008, 01:10
I like the pictures. :) Oh, that's been said several times. :smilie39:

chicken
11-18-2008, 06:36
It's better than nothing, better than the PADI propaganda publication, and it's better than watching Dr. Phil with my significant other! I don't love it, I don't hate it, I just kind of like it

WV Diver
11-18-2008, 06:46
I have so many SCUBA related magazines stacked up all over the house that I'm not even sure which one is which.

Over the years I have found most all of them to be about the same. Top ten this, a must do here, most traveled this, pretty pictures, the forgotten spot that everyone forgot about, the known only to the locals diving spots, the constant repetition of the same articles over and over.

I think I have had them all at one time or another.

A third pole option would be "Not sure which one that is but they're all about the same anyway." That would get my vote.

fisheater
11-18-2008, 15:36
I wish I had the option to hit both "love" and "hate."

I love the training & accident portion, including Ask DAN, Lessons for Life, etc.

I hate that focus on warm water tropical diving for the young and slim. What about us old, overweight divers who routinely dive in cold, dark water?

MSilvia
11-18-2008, 15:39
the known only to the locals diving spots
Gotta love the secret spots that are only known to locals and anyone with a magazine subscription.

WV Diver
11-18-2008, 16:01
the known only to the locals diving spots
Gotta love the secret spots that are only known to locals and anyone with a magazine subscription.Just makes you smile doesn't it?:smiley36:

MSilvia
11-18-2008, 16:18
Yup... the secret is "everybody dives there".

hychang
11-18-2008, 20:44
Well said, same with me.

Scuba Diving Mag. not bad but Diver Training Mag. is my preference.

Capt Hook
11-19-2008, 09:25
Think it has become boring!

kong
11-19-2008, 09:44
Its better than PAID's magazine but not quite as good as Diver Training.

teerlkay
11-27-2008, 17:54
purty pictures!

it's a bit of a chuckle - anyone else rememebr when all the best fins were split? hands down - i mean it wasn't even close.

and now - no big difference. even though they are still using the same paddle fins (mares avanti quattros, etc.)

calwolf
12-01-2008, 20:00
I subscribe (got a great deal), and I like it, but Dive Training has it beat by a mile for overall quality. Of course, I haven't really subscribed to that one yet (it's so easy to pick up copies in local dive shops).

heydn62
01-17-2009, 20:54
Had a free subscription a couple of years back - before I started diving. It's one of the reasons I started to dive.

lund0485
01-17-2009, 22:01
I really like it, I happily read through it every time I get one, serious eye candy.

Splitlip
01-17-2009, 22:07
purty pictures!

it's a bit of a chuckle - anyone else rememebr when all the best fins were split? hands down - i mean it wasn't even close.

and now - no big difference. even though they are still using the same paddle fins (mares avanti quattros, etc.)

I'll give you that on the fins!

I remember when they panned the Dacor fins for their "nail breaking' buckles but applauded the Mares buckles. Same friokkin' buckle!

The Dacor Tigers technology sucked but the Mares Volo was the greatest thing since tampons. Same frikkin' hinged fin technology!

JCAT
01-17-2009, 22:26
like the pictures!!!!

The lessons for life I take with a grain of salt.

Gear review I ignore.

firenwater
01-27-2009, 13:58
Scuba diving is ok. I like the lessons for life as it gives me warnings on the kind of mishaps that can occur. I like the diver training magazine. It seems like it is productive because it gives hints to improve my performance as a new diver.

kjvander
01-27-2009, 14:36
yeah the one time that i got it off the store rack it had a lot of articles on places that i won't be able to go for a really long time....and it made me depressed....they should do an entire magazine on lake and quarry diving....

Jiblets
01-27-2009, 16:15
Lots of pretty pictures. Wow, look at that camera housing.

http://www.ikelite.com/triv_photos/alba_85.jpg

ektess1
01-27-2009, 17:44
Lots of pretty pictures. Wow, look at that camera housing.

http://www.ikelite.com/triv_photos/alba_85.jpg

How come I have never seen her on the dive boat.

Jiblets
01-27-2009, 17:51
Because the weight of all the guys end up sinking the boat.

kjvander
01-28-2009, 07:27
that is a pretty nice camera...lol

Vercingetorix
01-28-2009, 14:49
Would love to see this on the boat.Yeah, but you wouldn't be allowed to handle the equipment.

Or the camera, either.

emt
01-28-2009, 21:05
First time I've seen it, but that pic of Jessica Alba looks pretty good.

hychang
01-29-2009, 15:51
Isn't that the sad truth!:smiley19:

Would love to see this on the boat.Yeah, but you wouldn't be allowed to handle the equipment.

Or the camera, either.

LRDWILDER
02-11-2009, 06:33
Anytime I can read, do, or think about diving I'm happy :-)

mrm777
02-13-2009, 01:48
Like it....but I'd rather have a scuba-dedicated cable channel.

Black-Gorrilla
02-13-2009, 14:41
Like it....but I'd rather have a scuba-dedicated cable channel.
same here.

Add a like it and a "it's ok" option so i can vote.

russp
03-05-2009, 09:59
I read it because I'm getting it for free (thanks Joe & Larry) but I probably won't renew. On the other hand, I just renewed Dive Training for the next two years and would definitly vote that as "love it". This is another one I need to say thanks to Joe & Larry for my first six month subscription after finishing OW.

coloradopomi
03-16-2009, 15:23
No love or hate for it. Ambivalent is more appropriate. I look at it when I'm in Barnes & Noble or Borders but only spend the money when something catches my eye. So far I've spent very little.

chinacat46
03-16-2009, 17:05
It's okay but I don't love or hate so I guess I can't vote either.

kat
03-16-2009, 23:40
New to diving, but I like the gear reviews and travel information.

Empacher
03-17-2009, 18:38
Has anyone gotten any recent issues? I haven't received one since the Dec/jan issue and my suscriptions is still good... Hmmm

Rainer
03-17-2009, 18:39
They went to every other month (6 issues / year). It's an 'off' month I guess...

Largo
03-17-2009, 21:09
I like the Canadian magazine, "Diver."

Divermag (http://www.divermag.com/online/)

The only down-side is that in each issue, imbedded deep within a story, you'll see something like, "Devil's Intestine Mine is a great dive site, unfortunately, Joe Smith, a veteran cave diver with over 20,000 dives, died there last month..."

DMWiz
03-17-2009, 21:15
They went to every other month (6 issues / year). It's an 'off' month I guess...

Has anyone gotten any recent issues? I haven't received one since the Dec/jan issue and my suscriptions is still good... Hmmm

Scuba Diving Mag was bought by the same people who publish Sport Diver (http://bonniercorp.com/news/bonnier-corp-acquires-scuba-diving-magazine-1000067926.html) and I thought I read somewhere they were converting/merging the subscribers to Sport Diver

I can't seem to find where I read/saw the latter.

Sansho
03-17-2009, 21:25
Scuba diving is ok. I like the lessons for life as it gives me warnings on the kind of mishaps that can occur.

There's another thread here that says that the Lesson's For Life author, Mike Ange, isn't renewing his contract with Scuba Diving and is ending the column he's written for 7 or 8 years. One of the best columns in the magazine.

fisheater
03-18-2009, 00:36
Scuba diving is ok. I like the lessons for life as it gives me warnings on the kind of mishaps that can occur.

There's another thread here that says that the Lesson's For Life author, Mike Ange, isn't renewing his contract with Scuba Diving and is ending the column he's written for 7 or 8 years. One of the best columns in the magazine.

Dang! That was the best (and often only good) part of the mag.

Empacher
03-18-2009, 10:08

Thanks!