PDA

View Full Version : UGH! I hate painting!

frankc420
08-17-2007, 19:33
Ok, so I'm painting my house, inside and out getting it in tip top shape so I can sell her for top dollar. Isn't it ironic how we fix up our homes before we sell them, but not while we live in them? Maybe that's just how I work! :smiley20:

So after three days of painting, from 7am to 1am each day, I'm tired!

I fell asleep in my recliner earlier and my wife woke me up to ask, "did you track in that dirt?" ... #*$!

DivingsInMyBlood
08-17-2007, 19:36
painting is not a favorite past time of mine thats why the wife trades services with a client who is a painter and in return she does her nails. Everyones a winner that way. I know what you mean about working on your home when you live in it, i still have to finish siding the shed, rebuilding two decks and doing the floors.

Illini_Fan
08-17-2007, 19:37
I feel your pain -- the last house I sold (9 years ago) looked GREAT for the couple of weeks it was on the market. I wish I could get motivated to get all the maintenance done for the simple sake of having the house look nice instead of only when preparing it for sale.

Get some rest -- good luck with the sale.

deepdiver47
08-17-2007, 19:49
been there and done that some 15 years ago. It was a major honey-do. Sometimes you have to take one for the team.

It could be worse, she could tell you to watch it dry :comic11:

torrey
08-17-2007, 22:02
Ok, so I'm painting my house, inside and out getting it in tip top shape so I can sell her for top dollar. Isn't it ironic how we fix up our homes before we sell them, but not while we live in them? Maybe that's just how I work! :smiley20:

Heck, you got it easy. We painted our entire house when we moved in...and now 1 year later my wife decides she wants the master bedroom and master bath to be a different color! I can't complain too much though, she's a teacher so she has done most of the painting while I'm at work, and then I take over when I get home. We still have the bathroom to go though...that'll be the tricky one as it's not just a simple square room with no interferences like the bedroom was.

NitroWill
08-17-2007, 22:10
I dont mind painting insides..its not that bad if you take the time to use painters tape to trim the ceiling and borders..then its all smooth from there :)

dallasdivergirl
08-17-2007, 22:43
when I had a house, I was the wallpaper remover & tape-r. I painted. once. it was not up to standard.

ertechsg
08-17-2007, 23:13
I feel you pain I'm painting the inside of my house. Figure if I am going to live here might as well start repairing it. plus wife and I quit smoking back in Jan time to freshen up

DivingsInMyBlood
08-18-2007, 00:17
I dont mind painting insides..its not that bad if you take the time to use painters tape to trim the ceiling and borders..then its all smooth from there :)

A good angled brush will get rid of the need for painters tape as long as you have a steady hand.

Liv7301
08-18-2007, 01:00
I feel your pain -- the last house I sold (9 years ago) looked GREAT for the couple of weeks it was on the market. I wish I could get motivated to get all the maintenance done for the simple sake of having the house look nice instead of only when preparing it for sale.

Get some rest -- good luck with the sale.

Like that backyard fence...:smiley36: If you didn't have that 40% stained fence what possibly would I tease you about?? :smiley2:

There is so much in our house that I would love to improve, but alas, we rent, so we might as well spend that time and money diving!

Illini_Fan
08-18-2007, 08:40
Like that backyard fence...:smiley36: If you didn't have that 40% stained fence what possibly would I tease you about?? :smiley2:
!

I feared that my fence would make it into this thread if I responded to the OP. Thanks for not missing the opportunity Liv :smiley20:

94GTStang
08-18-2007, 08:48
Yea, painting does suck! The pay off is when you stand back and see how nice it looks.

Jaymeany
08-18-2007, 08:55
I use an air compressor and a paint gun. it makes short work of everything. but run your hvac system and with cheap filters changing them everyday!

frankc420
08-18-2007, 09:27
Yea, painting does suck! The pay off is when you stand back and see how nice it looks.

Yeah, but that's short lived with my wife in the background, "you missed a spot" -- "when are you going to start on ...."

:smiley11:

Heck, you got it easy. We painted our entire house when we moved in...

Oh, don't remind me about having to paint my new house! I may use some of the equity and just hire someone to do it.. :smiley20:

A good angled brush will get rid of the need for painters tape as long as you have a steady hand.

Eh, hand is steady for a few feet, then BAM, big spot. Tape is much easier!

plot
08-18-2007, 09:32
i'll do hvac, plumbing, electrical, siding, tiling, flooring, decking, trimming, etc. but will absolutely NOT paint or carpet.

techgnostic
08-18-2007, 16:50
Like most other things, good painting is attention to detail...if you learn the right techniques, keep a wet edge, and use good quality brushes/paints, you'll get much better results.

Trim is the most maddening part, and with that, if you use a paint shield or stick you pinky out to steady you hand against the wall, that angled 2" brush is all you'll need...no tape.

It really helps if you have a second person working the room, plus a cold beer in the fridge for motivation.

frankc420
08-18-2007, 20:35
Like most other things, good painting is attention to detail...if you learn the right techniques, keep a wet edge, and use good quality brushes/paints, you'll get much better results.

Trim is the most maddening part, and with that, if you use a paint shield or stick you pinky out to steady you hand against the wall, that angled 2" brush is all you'll need...no tape.

It really helps if you have a second person working the room, plus a cold beer in the fridge for motivation.

All of the above hits the nail on the head... especially the cold beer in the fridge :smiley20:

DivingsInMyBlood
08-18-2007, 22:06

Amen to all the above, but you forgot to put the beer as the first thing you need :smiley2:

cgvmer
08-18-2007, 22:10
I was so happy when I found a neighbor who did indoor painting on the side, good price and I don't have to do it.

scootermcfly
08-19-2007, 06:27
I can understand why people don't like painting, but I see it as instant gratification once you have a couple of coats on the ceiling/walls. I like to go through and do a room or two per year (wife picks which room) and use the ceiling white to whitewash with. That makes the new paint look that much better since it is applied on a white base, nothing shows through.

Scooter McFly

Buoyant1
08-19-2007, 19:40

Easier said than done! I hate painting! (unless I can be messy!)

techgnostic
08-20-2007, 07:06

All of the above hits the nail on the head... especially the cold beer in the fridge :smiley20:

Thank you very much.

techgnostic
08-20-2007, 07:09

Amen to all the above, but you forgot to put the beer as the first thing you need :smiley2:

How do you know our secret painting trick down here in NO?

ScubaJenn81
08-20-2007, 07:10
This is going to sound odd, but I wish I could be complaining about painting a house. I am in an apt now and can not find the house of my dreams yet. I have (my goal) until April to find it but everything I like is either too far away from work or just too much $$$$. I know when I have major upkeep my tune will change. Sigh....The grass is always greener

JahJahwarrior
08-20-2007, 12:39
In the dorm here, I can see evidence of sloppy painting....paint dripping down the trim near the floor, on all the edges of the power outlets, several drops and lines of paint on the tile floors.....not impressed. To their credit, my guess is that they repaint every year, and they are probably moving very quickly.

In my room at home, we painted it one colour, but after two years my mom wanted to touch up. She went and got another gallon of paint, but I think the base was different, it was a little more shiny than the original tan paint. I complained and my mom didn't believe me until she came and looked herself....a little touch of paint here and there meant I had 3x5 card sized "shiny spots" on my walls, and legal paper sized spots where she had used a roller to be able to reach some high up spots by the stairs. She was much chagrined at my shiny polka dotted walls.

And in youth community theatre, one year I had working under me as a techie a kid whose dad was a professional painter. We do everything on the cheap in theatre, we buy cheap paint (it only has to last a few days on a set where only the actors walk. Why do we need to pay for a paint that'll last for years?!?), cheap brushes, etc. Every time we painted, he complained to no end that we needed to buy the premium paints, and to buy the premium brushes and then clean them all meticulously with the most expensive lacquer thinner, and slow down don't paint so fast and you missed a spot here and *shut up. We have 24 hours until the play opens, the paint has to last for 3 days, 6 plays, and no one is going to see this part except for one scene, and this particular corner is hidden by the teaser at the top of the stage* I wasn't much bothered by his complaining, I learn to stop listening. But the other 6 guys on the crew threatened physical harm if I didn't make sure that he never ended up on the crew again :)

torrey
08-20-2007, 14:51
In my room at home, we painted it one colour, but after two years my mom wanted to touch up. She went and got another gallon of paint, but I think the base was different, it was a little more shiny than the original tan paint. I complained and my mom didn't believe me until she came and looked herself....a little touch of paint here and there meant I had 3x5 card sized "shiny spots" on my walls, and legal paper sized spots where she had used a roller to be able to reach some high up spots by the stairs. She was much chagrined at my shiny polka dotted walls.

It sounds like she may have applied a semi-gloss or hi-gloss over flat paint if it looked shiny...something to be wary of if you're not completely re-painting everything.

mike_s
08-20-2007, 15:02
Hey! I thought this was going to be a thread about painting tanks Frank!

frankc420
08-21-2007, 08:11
Hey! I thought this was going to be a thread about painting tanks Frank!

How way! I'd rather strip the paint off! :)

tbush
08-21-2007, 10:11
I know your pain. Ive spent my last 3 w-ends balancing salt levels in my pool & re-landscaping the yard to sell. Now that the place looks great why not stay?