PDA

View Full Version : playing with sea life??

scubajane
11-17-2008, 17:05
have you ever played with an underwater animal/fish??

I was diving off the coast of key largo Florida and a yellow Damselfish approached my mask. I bobbed to the right and it followed me so I bobbed to the left and it followed again. I bobbed up and down and turned around slowly several times. it followed my face the whole time. we played for almost 10 minutes until another diver approached and the fish retreated. It was so cool. was he trying to make me go away or was he looking at his reflection in my mask. anyway it was fun for me. I never touched the fish we just played.

Skuttle
11-17-2008, 17:16
This last trip I took to Bahamas, I had a fish attack me..lol I was swimming along looking at all the cool parts of the wreck we were diving on, the Sopona, and I felt this tiny pinch. I turned to look and didn't see anything. Continued swimming along minding my own business, and got pinched again. This time I saw a little tiny fish ( half black and half white) dart away. Then he/she got really brass and came darting towards me and nipped me again. That darn fish followed me forever trying to get me.

Not sure what I did, but I finally got saved by other divers coming over to the area I was in.

James1010
11-17-2008, 17:27
I have had a puffer fish come up to me for some reason then it blew up and I held it in my hands for quite sometime. A buddy of mine also had a little fish attack him which was quite funny. I was in front of him and I felt something grab my fin and thrash me around and I turned around and saw that a fish the size of my wallet was having a go at him. It was great.

Lj82
11-17-2008, 20:48
My friend had a remora trying to attach itself to him. What made it funny was that he was wearing board shorts and had no idea that the remora was making its way up his leg into his censored zone. The rest of us were laughing and flooded our mask as we witness the scene.

sea princess
11-18-2008, 23:12
In san carlos the momma and baby sea lions would swim up to us and around us. some would come right up to your mask as if trying to figure you out. one tapped me on the back of my tank and some would imitate us when we were swimming in circles or summersaults. we didn't touch them but they were fun to swim with.

shawnwill36
11-19-2008, 09:55
the first dive i ever did, i was being eaten buy a oklahoma paranah. incase you dont know that is a perch. the reason it was surprising is, i always thought they were scared but at depth, they will actually swim at you

No Misses
11-19-2008, 10:08
I was diving with "fisherdog" one day and she felt a tug on her fin. She turned around expecting to find me doing the pulling. Instead it was a juvenile loggerhead. He then proceeded to swim between us and circle us for ~5 minutes, before swimming off. It was pretty cool.

I guess this would fall under the title "Sealife playing with me" and not "Me playing with sealife".

dannybot
11-19-2008, 19:40
CHeck out my avatar...Belize! And Stingray City in Grand Cayman.

Quero
11-19-2008, 19:47
I had a couple of exhausting dives playing with sea lion pups. They will tug your fins, blow bubbles in your face, copy you swimming corkscrews, somersaults, etc. If you get winded (and you will) they take off to find a new playmate!

dannybot
11-19-2008, 19:54
CHeck out my avatar...Belize! And Stingray City in Grand Cayman.

Sorry the shark got edited out, and I can't get the picture to upload:

kong
11-19-2008, 20:23
I had a couple of exhausting dives playing with sea lion pups. They will tug your fins, blow bubbles in your face, copy you swimming corkscrews, somersaults, etc. If you get winded (and you will) they take off to find a new playmate!

How are the mothers during this? Most animals I have seen get a little upset when you are that close to the young ones.

Shenanigan
11-19-2008, 20:54

How are the mothers during this? Most animals I have seen get a little upset when you are that close to the young ones.

The young come up to you. The adults are usually hanging out elsewhere. In La Paz, I had a young pup come up and eat my snorkle. They're fun to "play" with, but remember to keep your hand in a fist if you stick it out for them to "sniff" They like to bight things like puppies. You probably don't want them biting your fingers off! :smiley2:

Quero
11-19-2008, 22:47

The mothers hang back. The pups approach and imitate. So since open circuit scuba produces lots of bubbles, they imitate that by blowing bubbles in your face, for example. Since the "nursery" area is in quite shallow water, the biggest danger is in rapid changes in depth as you try to keep up with them while playing.

ScubaDude
11-19-2008, 23:00
I unexpectedly got in a scuffle with an octopus! I was in North Carolina diving on the box wreck. The current was ripping and I hooked the tip of my spear to get some rest. I noticed a smooth shell and decided to pick it up. As I brought it closer to my face to get a better look, it was pulled from my hand. I was like wtf! So I picked it up again and soon found out that I was competing with an octo for the shell. I won the battle and put my speartip near it just to check it out. He wrapped around my tip and shaft while tugging, as if to say "Hey! I was eating that!"

Diver Kat
11-19-2008, 23:02
I always get a kick out of the tiny damselfish getting in my face if I'm too close to their 'territiory'. They seem to have no fear. As for the local lake diving, the perch are pretty aggressive. Usually they just go for the fingers, but one day I was wearing shorts rather than a wetsuit, and the dang little buggers kept biting the back of my leg!

cmburch
11-20-2008, 00:10
Similar experience with sea lion pups only. Spring Monterey Bay many pups near jetty. They swim around and seem to imitate. Move arm in large circles; they do flips. Try to get them to do corkscrews.

Irritating experience with harbor seals in same area as well as Carmel. They follow, touch, and zoom past.

Monterey, Carmel, Big Sur the sea otters approach, climb or put paws on kayak.

RoyN
11-21-2008, 11:02
I try not insult or disturb the animals anymore. Last time I came back to the boat with a 38 inch cabezon fish with my hand in his mouth.

drako
11-22-2008, 09:36
I played with wild dolphins while snorkeling....they like to imitate and jump around.
Only once I had a manatee approach me again I was snorkeling...for the most part they high tail it anywhere near boats/kayak/etc.
Other times its the usual fish nibble or hit the mask which is always fun!
I would love to experience the playing with the sea lions

teerlkay
11-22-2008, 11:00
one shark says to the other - i'm bored, let's go play with the divers

scubajane
11-22-2008, 11:11
Off shore in Maui the DM handed me a anemone hermit crab about the size of my fist. I was holding it gently so hubby could take a pic. apparently the crab did not want his picture taken. he grabbed my fingertip HARD. Being the gentle soul that I am, I SCREAMED BLOODY MURDER AND SHOOK MY HAND FORCEFULLY MULTIPLE TIMES. Finally after the appropriate amount of deserved pain the crab let go (of his own will) and disappeared. I will NOT touch again. Lesson WELL learned.

Charles R
11-22-2008, 14:03
I try not insult or disturb the animals anymore. Last time I came back to the boat with a 38 inch cabezon fish with my hand in his mouth.

Roy did your parents not teach you that noodling is illegal in Cali.

Shark girl
11-22-2008, 21:56
PLaying... a baby cuttlefish came to investigate me when I was doing a BC don and doff for an OW checkout dive. He hovered just in front of my mask for a couple of minutes, undulating gently, like he couldn't believe what he was looking at. My instructor wondered what was taking me so long... Being cleaned by cleaner wrasse was fun too (and tickly). On the Great Astrolabe, a sea snake decided to play with one of the other divers. It decided to check out his mask and hoses. Just curious- but I think the diver would have preferred that the wildlife followed 'don't touch' policies!

hooligan
11-24-2008, 00:06
I was trying to photograph an anemone, but its resident clownfish decided to defend his territory and came out and bit my finger. He was not too keen on sharing his home with anyone else.

On the non-scuba side, I was in Nagano visiting the snow monkeys. One of the adolescent monkeys took a break from chasing his friend around to come up and punched me in the knee. Then he ran off to chase his friend around some more. I’m just glad he didn’t grab my video camera. From what I’ve heard, those little monkeys have “sticky fingers”.

mchain
11-28-2008, 02:26
I have had a puffer fish come up to me for some reason then it blew up and I held it in my hands for quite sometime. A buddy of mine also had a little fish attack him which was quite funny. I was in front of him and I felt something grab my fin and thrash me around and I turned around and saw that a fish the size of my wallet was having a go at him. It was great.

It was not great... He was a ferocious little thing...

RoyN
12-03-2008, 01:33
Sorry if this was late, but I let a cleaner shrimp clean my mouth one time.

scubajane
07-12-2009, 14:05
this is a blatant attempt to bring this thread back to the surface so I can read more animal stories!!

navyhmc
07-12-2009, 14:36
Cleaver...Very Cleaver.

The only real sea life story I have is when I was swimming with some sea lions in the Gulf of California. As I was swimming along, I felt something swim right behind me-by the time I turned arond, it was gone. Finally after a few passes, I was able to turn around at the right moment to see this young sea lion put on the brakes with the closest I've seen to an "OH Crap!!! look on a critters face. Buddies told me later that it was doing a high speed swim behind me and would slice a flipper right by my head as it passed-never hit me, but it was close every time.

Recon
07-12-2009, 15:29
I had a fishy at cssp give me a stern talking to once, well more of a look, he just stared at me for about a minute, I was scared so I backed down, but I did manage to get a photo of the monster.. see below:

~Recon

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_bV-WsQ9kWZQ/SlOgZI4Tb1I/AAAAAAAABZ4/FxcXSUhBun8/s800/DSCN0515.JPG

mitsuguy
07-12-2009, 16:06
I've got a couple stories...

First and most common - blue Sergeant Majors... the males turn blue when they are protecting their eggs laying on the reef usually right behind them... These guys are rough and tough and swim straight towards you until you point at them, then they turn and hide... usually not in front of the eggs, but somewhere else... kind of a "get out of here" attitude, but when they figure out you are the bigger bully, they turn and run...

Got to play with 5 adult dolphins and one pup - we were transferring gear from one of our small boats to the big boat, noticed a couple dolphins jumping just a few hundred feet away, took the two small boats to where they were and jumped in with just our masks... pretty cool... they hung out for a little while...

the other day, I found a small octopus in about 15 feet of water under the boat while some were doing their safety stops... he was in a hole in the sand and I was bored... there was a shell nearby that would have almost covered his hole perfectly, so I decided to see if he would play... I took the shell, put it beside his hole, partly over it, and he started grabbing ahold of it... I pulled it back and he partly came with it... hung on tight, but left two tentacles in the hole... we played for a couple minutes like this, then I let him have the shell... he grabbed ahold of it and covered his hole with it, leaving just a small gap so he could see out...

Then, the other day, not too far from that octopus, we were moving some concrete blocks used for mooring some small boats around... there were a total of 8 blocks paired up that we needed to move... Got to the second set, and saw a small frogfish, about the size of a quarter... he was dark black in color... Because we needed to move the blocks, we decided to try and relocate him... Nick, another instructor, tried to pick him up with his hands but he wasn't too happy about that and tried to swim off. I put my hand up in front of where he was swimming, and he swam over to my hand and landed. I had black gloves on, so he was really happy... I slowly moved him to a dark piece of coral growing on a nearby rock and dropped him off - that was real cool...

Then, last but not least, I had a very curious turtle come and stare me directly in the face. I thought he was going to run in to me, so I put my hand out to stop him, but he didn't - he turned at the last second, but spent some time just a few inches in front of me... In the picture below, it looks like I am petting him on the side of the head, but I promise I'm not, its just the way the picture looks... My hand was out to redirect him in case he got entirely too close... Before this picture was taken, we saw him swimming towards us and completely stopped... He came and inspected the whole group...

Here ya go:
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i117/samitsuguy/90.jpg

navyhmc
07-12-2009, 16:27
Mitsuguy...you are having just too much fun down there! Congrats and I'm jealous!!!!

Zanzi123
07-24-2009, 18:03
I was snorkeling and I decided to go near a Garabaldi that was circling this piece of kelp near the surface, I reached to touch it (I was stupid and caught up in the moment) It made a quick move and tried to bite me!!! Then the same day, a different one I was looking at for a minute charged twords me. They are way aggressive and territorial.

I was also body boarding at zuma beach in Malibu and these 3 dolphins were playing in the same wave I caught. They swam behind me a few times and I finally noticed, freaked out and I wiped out. I think they tried to make me :P.

petronius
07-24-2009, 19:24
I've been tugged at by harbor seal and buzzed by sea lions, but that's really them playing with me. IIRC, the only time I've really played with wildlife is putting a pebble on a garibaldi's 'front porch'. They like a clean house, so it's funny to watch them zip over to clear up the mess (and they give the best stink-eye of any fish in CA)...

Zanzi123
07-24-2009, 19:35
I've been tugged at by harbor seal and buzzed by sea lions, but that's really them playing with me. IIRC, the only time I've really played with wildlife is putting a pebble on a garibaldi's 'front porch'. They like a clean house, so it's funny to watch them zip over to clear up the mess (and they give the best stink-eye of any fish in CA)...

Hahahah. They sure do.

Speaking of Garabaldis, this new mall thing in Malibu has them in tanks outside, but what bothers me is there are some juvinille ones that are illegal to catch. Seems a bit cruel right?

navyhmc
07-24-2009, 19:48
On my OW checkout, I got too close to some blue gill nests and was mauled-near pirahana attack in intesity. From what folks has said, similar to baning the roof of the bus at Gilboa(haven't been there yet.)

RoyN
07-25-2009, 00:37
Someone needed a line cut underwater one time so I went and found a sheep head crab and tried to get the crab to cut the line for us.

petronius
07-25-2009, 01:00

Hahahah. They sure do.

Speaking of Garabaldis, this new mall thing in Malibu has them in tanks outside, but what bothers me is there are some juvinille ones that are illegal to catch. Seems a bit cruel right?

I suppose 'cruel' would depend on who was caring for them and how. Generally speaking though, I think I'd prefer not to see protected fish in private/commercial display like that - it seems like it would just boost demand for the pretty fishies (educational facilities like aquariums are different IMO)...

SadrithMora
07-25-2009, 02:03
I remember being on a beach in S. Carolina with my family when my brother and I were about 5 years old. We were tossing a wiffle ball around when the wiffle ball landed in a tide pool. When we approached the tide pool, the ball was nowhere to be found. After looking further down the beach we discover a small octopus scurrying as fast as it can towards the mouth of the tide pool (emptying out into the ocean). In it's arms... our wiffle ball.

boates
07-25-2009, 21:51
Goshen N.S., Canada........2hr snorkel with baby beluga.......Wilma,,,,,,very special

navyhmc
07-26-2009, 00:39
Where was momma??? That could be a little hazardous if momma gets protective.

divingchef
07-26-2009, 01:35
Ahhhh come on....its like none of you have tried the cheesewhiz joke in the pocket of your buddy's BC......great fun...and semi "playing" with sealife.....

Cracker anyone?

navyhmc
07-26-2009, 01:40
That's not playing with sealife chef...that's messing with your buddy-or the other guy's buddy!!!

divingchef
07-26-2009, 01:46
That's not playing with sealife chef...that's messing with your buddy-or the other guy's buddy!!!

But when you are "engaged" by NUMEROUS species and number of fishesesesesh, then the "play" element is either automatic or frickin defense!.....unexpectantly having 150 grunts knawing at your waistline would encourage anyone to "play"

navyhmc
07-26-2009, 02:37

But when you are "engaged" by NUMEROUS species and number of fishesesesesh, then the "play" element is either automatic or frickin defense!.....unexpectantly having 150 grunts knawing at your waistline would encourage anyone to "play"

:smilie39: :smilie39: :smilie39:

Or scream in terror!!!:smilie39: :smilie39: :smilie39:

Zanzi123
07-26-2009, 02:49

Hahahah. They sure do.

I suppose 'cruel' would depend on who was caring for them and how. Generally speaking
though, I think I'd prefer not to see protected fish in
private/commercial display like that - it seems like it would just boost demand for the pretty fishies (educational facilities like aquariums are different IMO)...

yeah I am fine with aquariums, but protected fish in cylinder weird tanks that are outside with fake kelp and other fake **** doesn't seem right. I will get a picture to show what the tanks are like bacause they don't seem so spacious.

TRiggER2117
07-27-2009, 12:46
thats really cool. Me and my dad were diving off the island marathon in the keys.

the keys are amazing dive sites right? ;)

but we saw a goliath grouper and it would swim toward us and get in our faces then swim away then get in our faces and swim away, it was pretty cool :P

but one time he swam too us and darted away so fast it made a loud booming noise it sounded like an amped up bass pedal

3rdEye
07-27-2009, 13:12
I've been around a few friendly grouper and baraccuda....had a turtle swim with me, and octopus follow me around. Those damselfish are little bastards...I've been nipped a few times when my attention was on something else, kinda freaks you out for a second.

also, in the quarry, at some spots i guess the bass are used to being fed, so I'd pick up a pebble and drop it to watch them grab it, then spit it back out.

Okc_diver
07-27-2009, 20:59
We had a 3 striped damselfish in our salt water aquarium at work and one day I was feeding our anemone that little bugger started attacking me. We had to get rid of him because he was two agressive.

Zeagle Eagle
07-27-2009, 22:32
I've been around a few friendly grouper and baraccuda....had a turtle swim with me, and octopus follow me around. Those damselfish are little bastards...I've been nipped a few times when my attention was on something else, kinda freaks you out for a second.

also, in the quarry, at some spots i guess the bass are used to being fed, so I'd pick up a pebble and drop it to watch them grab it, then spit it back out.
I know what you mean! I was diving Ambergris Caye with my fiance. I am a coral hugger and I lke to get down in the runs. After coming up from a run I had a Moray nibble my middle finger. I had it stuck out in the breeze. I never even saw it until I felt it on my finger. All I got was about 20 or so little pin pricks around the finger. When I first saw it I thought it was about 10 feet long and had a head on it the size of a garbage can. My fiance says it was only 4 feet long. What does she know!