PDA

View Full Version : steroids and dive!?!?!?!?!

Gasparotto
11-17-2008, 21:18
i was in the boat few days ago and a heard this 2 guys talking about steroids, one of them said he was taking it and the other said he would like to take...
and it made me think.:smiley29:
i know steroids itself is dangerous, but what about steroids and diving ?
does anybody know what kind of problem (s) it would bring ??

James1010
11-17-2008, 21:27
Well that is a new one for me to hear ha ha. I don't know if those guys got some bad information thinking steroids will help them increase there bottom times reducing there air consumption or something. Taking steroids and diving is going to do nothing but make you go nuts and swim like a shark burning your air. I think they where talking in regards to working out and getting bigger and it was nothing more than a discussion on your way to the dive site. I highly recommend not taking steroids for diving or anything of that matter. You probably would freak out and go on a roid range and start beating fish lol.

FishFood
11-17-2008, 21:37
i know steroids itself is dangerous

How did you come up with that? :dunno:

Gasparotto
11-17-2008, 21:43
they were not talking about taking steroids for diving !!!, of course it to gain muscle!!, not to have more bottom time etc....
and alright, steroids are not dangerous itself, it's dangerous if u take a lot ( i'm sure the guy was taking a lot, he was f.. huge !!!
what i'm asking is '' what are the effects of steroids under waterpressure?''

FishFood
11-17-2008, 22:00
Here is one docter's opinion:

i use anabolic steroids, could there be any implications whilst - JustAnswer (http://www.justanswer.com/questions/13n9k-use-anabolic-steroids)

In short... he says... no, anabolic steroids won't give you the bends.

Of course, as already stated, if you go into a roid rage and throw a temper tantrum under water, things could get ugly. However, if you use anabolic steroids carefully and know your limitations, and how and when it effects you, you shouldn't have a problem.

divingyogini
11-17-2008, 23:02
The hypertension steroids causes would worry me; 20-30% of all scuba diving deaths are due to heart attack.
DAN Divers Alert Network (http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/faq/faq.aspx?faqid=69)

emcbride81
11-20-2008, 21:00
One thing to be concerned with is ego increases. Men and women on certain steroids will be more aggressive, and will have an increase in focus and confidence, which may cause them to push the envelope. Also, I would hate to be their buddy and have to call the dive...might get a whuppin.

maverick
11-21-2008, 01:50
Illigal Drugs> Just say NO

wgt
11-21-2008, 04:10
The question is specifically about interactions between (I presume anabolic) steroids and diving.

Like virtually any substance introduced into the body, steroids can be detrimental. Yet, I do not know of any tendency for steroids themselves to dramatically augment risks inherent in scuba diving. It is therefore perhaps no more dangerous for a steroid-user to dive than it is for an aging, cigarette-smoking, overweight, out-of-shape guy to dive, although data may eventually accumulate to the contrary.

It is true that some who use steroids do so for narcissistic reasons. We all know the risks posed by narcissists, whether, socially, commercially, politically, or behind the wheel. There is thus no reason to suspect that narcissists are the wisest choice in dive buddies. Remember, however, that steroid use itself would NOT indicate sufficient narcissism (or insecurity) so as to predict a lack of safety in diving. Simply stated, I would not have a problem diving with anybody strictly based on their use of steroids. However, as with any buddy, I would always be on guard for behavior that could pose a threat to my safety.

i was in the boat few days ago and a heard this 2 guys talking about steroids, one of them said he was taking it and the other said he would like to take...
and it made me think.:smiley29:
i know steroids itself is dangerous, but what about steroids and diving ?
does anybody know what kind of problem (s) it would bring ??

gbrdiver
11-21-2008, 06:31

It's not just illegal drugs...legal stuff can be just as bad when diving.

wgt
11-21-2008, 07:22
Under pressure, nitrogen and oxygen are also drugs that can kill.

It's not just illegal drugs...legal stuff can be just as bad when diving.

fanatique
02-09-2009, 12:40
Anabolic steroids are like Marijuana : there are worst things out there that are legal. It's just a matter of public perception and negative portrayal by the media. While there isn't really any reason to use it for diving, it's been proven to be good for weight-lifting once you start stagnating and hit a plateau.

Hey if it's good enough for the Governor of California...

emt
02-09-2009, 13:38
Steroids are normally produced in humans. To say steroids are bad is wrong. Too much of almost anything is bad, watch out - yes water or o2 can kill you in excess.
Please don't tell a wounded veteran missing his testicles that he can't dive because using testosterone supplementation is wrong.
Other examples: 1,Thyroid supplementation- Many many many people take levothyroxine (synthroid is a brand name).
2.Insulin supplemention: for glucose processing by the body.
Many other hormones are supplemented when found to be low or absent; Just read some human physiology material.

Guns don't kill people, People kill people.

ektess1
02-09-2009, 14:01
There is a big difference between supplementing defieciencies and taking a drug for other reasons.
emt, you are comparing apples and oranges. Medical neccessity verses recreational usage.

emt
02-09-2009, 14:25
There is a big difference between supplementing defieciencies and taking a drug for other reasons.
emt, you are comparing apples and oranges. Medical neccessity verses recreational usage.
Nope, I'm only talking about supplementing deficiences. I don't know what your talking about Ektess1

If testosterone supplementation is not indicated for someone who has had testes removed, what is??

Lulubelle
02-09-2009, 17:08
It is true that some who use steroids do so for narcissistic reasons. We all know the risks posed by narcissists, whether, socially, commercially, politically, or behind the wheel. There is thus no reason to suspect that narcissists are the wisest choice in dive buddies.

Amen brother, amen.

Steroids are normally produced in humans. To say steroids are bad is wrong. Too much of almost anything is bad, watch out - yes water or o2 can kill you in excess.
Please don't tell a wounded veteran missing his testicles that he can't dive because using testosterone supplementation is wrong.
Other examples: 1,Thyroid supplementation- Many many many people take levothyroxine (synthroid is a brand name).
2.Insulin supplemention: for glucose processing by the body.
Many other hormones are supplemented when found to be low or absent; Just read some human physiology material.

Emt, I disagree with your point, you are comparing apples to oranges. When patients with hormone deficiencies are replaced, they are replaced to physiologically normal levels and no higher, with the exception of insulin which does not cause the same effects as artificially high level of steroid hormones. Therefore the side effects for patients on hormone replacement are for the most part absent unless their dose needs to be retitrated. Insulin using diabetics are generally not cleared for diving unless they are generally free of hypoglycemic episodes.

When someone takes exogenous steroids, whether they be anabolic steroids for recreational use or corticosteroids for medical use, they levels of said hormones are far higher than the levels of naturally occuring steroids normally produced by a human being. These artificially high levels come with a list of side effects which is a long one, not only cardiac issues, but nifty things like mania and even psychosis. I would not chose to dive with someone taking anabolic steroids. I would only choose to dive with someone taking corticosteroids if their underlying condition was in reasonable control and if they were taking a low dose which they were accustomed to and were not having significant side effects from.

I find it really sad that someone is so narcissistic as to be willing to sacrifice a short term gain in muscle mass/strength for the myriad of medical problems that may result.

emt
02-09-2009, 18:17
Lulu, I disagree with your point that I had the point that you implied.
A guy without testes is definitely deficient of testosterone from lack of testicular production. Testes : Testosterone
Remove the testes and you will not have testosterone production in the male.
Thus the reason to supplement.

I never said and I do not agree with exceeding physiologically normal levels. You obviously read your own writing not mine. I am actually in agreement with you.

Thus let me repeat again I am for supplementation when needed and removal of the testes is definitely a time that testosterone supplementation is needed.
I am very sorry that you missed my real point which is supplementation is ok & is needed in cases like this.

Lulubelle
02-09-2009, 18:23
Lulu, I disagree with your point that I had the point that you implied.
A guy without testes is definitely deficient of testosterone from lack of testicular production. Testes : Testosterone
Remove the testes and you will not have testosterone production in the male.
Thus the reason to supplement.

Thus let me repeat again I am for supplementation when needed and removal of the testes is definitely a time that testosterone supplementation is needed.
I am very sorry that you missed my real point which is supplementation is ok & is needed in cases like this.

Emt, you missed mine as well. In reading your posts, you appeared to be arguing that taking anabolic steroids for recreational purposes was the same as taking hormone supplements for documented deficiences. Of course supplementation is needed in the situation you describe, no one is suggesting anything different!

But taking anabolic steroids for recreational use, or for that matter, any hormone which is already present in normal levels in the body, is an entirely different question which poses an entirely different set of risks.

emt
02-09-2009, 18:30
Miss a few, win a few. Love not war. I never mentioned anything that you stated in the last paragraph. Peace.

Lulubelle
02-09-2009, 18:38
Miss a few, win a few. Love not war. I never mentioned anything that you stated in the last paragraph. Peace.

My bad, I read your original post and took the same meaning from it that ektess did. We all know what we intend when writing, but sometimes the reader gets something different.

I practiced in Endocrinology for a very long time and felt strongly that I had to respond to the OPs comment and several that followed that recreational use of anabolic steroids was OK, not such a big deal, etc. They can and do kill.

No one needs to explain to me that there are people with all sorts of deficiencies who need replacement. Patients with panhypopituitarism get to have ALL hormones replaced in their bodies to physiologic levels, they make NONE. Then of course there are others who make excess amounts and have to have complex regimens to interfere if a cause can't be found.

Hey, I like testosterone, in fact it is my favorite! Wouldn't want a dive buddy who made plenty already who was supplementing on top of that though.

emt
02-09-2009, 18:49
yea, I see everyone jumped me.
I just wanted to explain that there are some "exceptions" & be slow to condemn people using those products because they may really need these drugs to be "normal" and some people condem them when they have a real physiologic need for the drug. Peace.

Time to go back to : The Legend of Speedo Man....

chicken
02-09-2009, 19:06
I don't think you were jumped. If you believe there is a medical need for some of these substances then we all agree. And I think most folks agree that recreational use is not acccpetable...

Time to go back to underwear in the shower...

Lulubelle
02-09-2009, 19:09
yea, I see everyone jumped me.
I just wanted to explain that there are some "exceptions" & be slow to condemn people using those products because they may really need these drugs to be "normal" and some people condem them when they have a real physiologic need for the drug. Peace.

Time to go back to : The Legend of Speedo Man....

Speedo man! Aaacccck! To me, he just looked like a guy in a speedo. My brother was a swimmer in the old days when they wore little suits. Speaking of anabolic steroid abuse...you should have SEEN the Chinese female swimmers. Built like linebackers, angular backs, etc. They got busted for anabolic steroid use in 1996.

I think it was just the words you used that people misinterpreted. You are right, there are many more legitimate uses than most people know about. We know how to replace all of them now thank goodness. The OP seemed to talking about recreational use. It kills me that someone would be willing to sacrifice their health later for a little more muscle now.

Happy speedo perusing.

ektess1
02-09-2009, 20:42
Sorry I missed the action, but I had to go to work. Glad that we cleared the air and are on the same page now.
Ugh. way to many metaphors.