PDA

View Full Version : how is a drysuit supposd to fit?

paintsnow
11-18-2008, 00:54
Ive been diving a rental tls350 size Large, which I know is way too big for me as I'm only 67in tall, and come pretty close to a stock medium, other then my hip measurement which is 42in when the range for a M is 35-37.

When I tried on a size med with one of the DUI employees, the suit seemed very tight pulling it up until i got above my waist. I was able to reach my invisible valves and put on imaginary fins, and it felt fine after it was on, but my concern is thick undergarments. I'm not sure if it was because i was wearing jeans at the time or what, but i don't want to get a suit i wont be comfortable in, and my big issue is that living in Las Vegas, none of the small local shops carry any stock, so i cant try anything on.

Is this normal, and will it be easier with some streamlined undergarments, or should i hold off on ordering the suit?

Wetnurse28
11-18-2008, 04:39
The only thign I can tell you is that, it should fit comfortably when above the water.

As soon as you get into water, it will squeeze as all the air is being pulled out of the suit.

So with that said, it is slightly uncomfortable when you get into the water as it seems to tighten up around crotch area. Unfortunately I can never get that to go away. Adding air to suit helps with arm and chest squeeze.

fireflock
11-18-2008, 08:56
You need to be able to put the suit on with your undergarments, but it's not unusual for things to be a little tight around your hips as you put the suit on. Too much material will make it easier to squeeze past the hips, but will result in lots of extra fabric and a harder to manage air bubble inside the suit.

Once the suit is on, you want to bend, stretch, kneel, reach up, reach across....everything you can thing of. Ideally, you can move where you want to and the suit does not have a lot of extra fabric while you are just standing there. Some people recommend kneeling, bending forward, and stretching your arms out on the floor in front of you as a test.

You want to watch out for too much extra space around the chest, and too much extra space in the legs. Extra chest space will make the main suit bubble harder to manage, and too much leg space can cause the legs to fill up with air and send you up feet first (tuck and roll!).

Rich

paintsnow
11-18-2008, 10:00
You need to be able to put the suit on with your undergarments, but it's not unusual for things to be a little tight around your hips as you put the suit on. Too much material will make it easier to squeeze past the hips, but will result in lots of extra fabric and a harder to manage air bubble inside the suit.

Rich

Perfect, thanks a bunch that's exactly what i was looking for, just wanted to be sure that it was normal, and that explanation makes perfect sense now that i think about it.

Thanks
-Paint