PDA

View Full Version : Accidents and scares

James1010
11-18-2008, 12:57
I was wondering what was the scariest thing that has happened to you. Either an accident of some type of incident. The scariest moment I have had is when I was helping a Dive Instructor with a group of Discovery Divers when one of them got swept by the current and I caught her out the corner of my eye and the rest of the group went on and didn't notice. I went into the current and finally caught up to her and took her to the surface to signal for a boat because I couldn't get her back to the group since the current was to strong. The boat picked us up and dropped us back on the group. The other time that spooked me pretty good is when I came out of a wreck and right to my left was about a 4 foot baraccuda looking at me.

James1010
11-18-2008, 12:58
This thread will be good for the new divers. It will give them incidents that happen that will help prepare them for it incase it happens to them.

SynCitizen
11-18-2008, 17:49
I havent had any thing notable happen to me as of yet. Guess it just shows how little experience I have.

fisheater
11-18-2008, 18:06
My inconvenience that could have evolved into an emergency:

I was on the last dive of a weekend filled with specialty cert dives. It was late Sunday night and I was cold and tired. Just my instructor and me.

We were diving at the Breakwater in Monterey and vis was horrible. It was all we could do see each other, even with our HID lights and rather frequent hip bumping to make sure we were still together. (As we're both XXL divers - or better - you can imagine how bad vis was.)

I came upon a white frilly "thing" flaring a few inches off the bottom and closed to investigate. Right about the time I realized that it was fishing lure, I saw that my instructor had been hooked. I reached over with my left hand to grasp the fishing line, so as to keep him from getting entangled and in preparation of cutting it if need be. I could only see it because of a bit of glint from my light.

Next thing I know, I'm vertical in the water and spinning around on the axis of my left hand, still holding the fishing line. I'm trying to figure what what the heck was happening to me and how it could get worse.

I couldn't tell if I, too, was hooked by another fisherman or if I'd become entangled in the same line that my instructor had been hooked by. I was concerned that I may be dragged to the surface (at too fast an ascent) if the line I was still holding onto got cut. If so, would finning down keep me at depth? Could I roll up, find the line and cut it in time? Or, should I simply flare and fight the upward pull of the fisherman?

While I was sorting this out in my mind, I suddenly found that I'd stopped spinning and was returning to my horizontal trim.

At the end of the dive, I learned that (a) the knot had come apart at the terminal tackle, which was still firmly attached to my instructor's wetsuit chest and (b) he'd not noticed that I was in any sort of trouble. (The later freaked him out a bit.)

I also learned that I'm not too prone to panic underwater, even though I didn't understand what was happening to me or exactly how I was going to deal with it.

Empacher
11-18-2008, 18:28
wow...Did you ever see the fisherman? Pretty scary situation.. I wonder what the fisherman thought he had hooked???

fisheater
11-18-2008, 18:47
We decided that we were too tired to deal with trying to figure out which fisherman it may have been.

Have no idea what he/she thought they'd hooked into.

James1010
11-18-2008, 19:25
I bet the fisherman was pissed off thinking he had lost the biggest fish of his life.

SynCitizen
11-18-2008, 20:08
Hahaha ... legends were created that day I bet.

James1010
11-18-2008, 20:15
Now I have a question did the fisherman hook you and did he start reeling you in? Must have been the fight of his life :smilie39::smilie39:

Splitlip
11-18-2008, 20:22
Hmmm.

Let's see.

Run down by a speeding boat. Hate it when that happens.

Float line hooked by some ass hole's lower unit and then I got tangled in the line. 60 to 0 in 3 seconds. Hate that too.

Got caught down current from the boat 9 miles off Grand Bahama Island and the surface support did not see us. Did not care for that either.

All I got.

sea princess
11-18-2008, 22:12
I am so new to diving but I did have a minor scare during my night diver certification. my buddy and i were to do a reciprocal navagation and i was leading. the visability was arms length when my buddy and i compared our compasses to verify the diretion we were going I would head that way then look at my compass and it was pointing another direction. i could compare with him again and found myself disorientated like i read could happen not knowing which way i was facing. then i remembered that two compasses cannot be next to eachother the needles attract! I didn't panic but it was a wierd sensation to have happen and it made a good discussion with our instructor. we learned from it for sure.

monant
11-19-2008, 07:39
Back in 1986, not long after certification I was diving in about 70ft. My buddy who I had never dived with signaled he was low on air. We were too far from the anchor line so we surfaced without using it. The surface current was faster than we realized during our descent on the anchor line. After several minutes of surface swimming we realized we were further from the boat than when we started. There was no land in sight but there were several boats. We waved at the first boat that came by and the man in the boat waved back and kept going. Several minutes later another boat came by. This time we were picked up and taken to our boat.

Lessons – Insure someone remains in the boat while divers are in the water
- Monitor your buddy’s air.
- I don’t think safety sausages existed in 1986 but they do now; carry one.

neugierig
11-19-2008, 08:51
no big scares/accidents so far.

the closest thing i can think of is being stung by a crown of thorns starfish. hurt like h*ll and my hand was swollen for several days.

monant
11-19-2008, 09:16

the closest thing i can think of is being stung by a crown of thorns starfish. hurt like h*ll and my hand was swollen for several days.

But you used your training and didn't panic, suffer an embolism from an uncontrolled rapid ascent, or drown.

neugierig
11-19-2008, 16:15

But you used your training and didn't panic, suffer an embolism from an uncontrolled rapid ascent, or drown.

yeah, you're right. i didn't think of it that way. there was no panic, was just kicking myself for not seeing the starfish. hehe

when it didn't look serious, we continued with the dive.

MSilvia
11-19-2008, 16:48
I've got a number of near misses and "incident" stories. Some of the most noteworthy include:

being stranded at sea off the coast of Belize when the boat took several hours to find us and pick us up
sitting out a liveaboard dive when my buddy and I were tired from increasing current on the previous dive, and watching a rescue attempt as one of the other divers surfaced with an unconscious buddy and was swept away in the surface current. The unconscious buddy didn't live through the experience.
getting disoriented on a 90' wreck dive in 3' visibility, and having to make a free ascent in a moderate current without a marker, after the spool fouled and shot to the surface with the bag. We had to choose... if we made our safety stop, we risked being swept too far from the boat to be seen.
having a buddy go into full-blown panic at the surface in 4' seas, and having to tow them to a nearby rock so they could regain composure and swim to shore.
dealing with a drysuit leak on a 145' deco dive in 38 degree, low-vis water with 5' seas after getting my undergarment caught in the zipper
having offshore current on Stellwagen Bank pick up to a strength sufficient to blow an ascent shot line nearly horizontal, and ending up having to clip off to the line and essentially try my hand at underwater water skiing while the crew hauled us back to the boatI'll gladly elaborate on any of that if folks are interested, but I don't want to ramble on and on. There's other stuff too, but it's gotten to the point that I've had dives with multiple gear failures (computer, power inflator, camera housing) and managed to get back to the boat without it ever occurring to me that that should probably have been stressful.

James1010
11-19-2008, 17:54
Split I haven't been run down by any boats and I hope I never do. These are some crazy yet funny incidents to hear.

dannybot
11-19-2008, 18:04
Last January, in Roatan, we came upon a 6' green eel swimming above the coral head. I went to take some video of it, and caught its eye. He charged after me biting at the camera (way too close to my fingers), so I began swimming backwards and kicking at it, but it kept coming. I finally slammed backwards into the coral, and the clunk of the tank seemed to startle it enough to stop chasing me.

navyhmc
11-19-2008, 18:20
Last January, in Roatan, we came upon a 6' green eel swimming above the coral head. I went to take some video of it, and caught its eye. He charged after me biting at the camera (way too close to my fingers), so I began swimming backwards and kicking at it, but it kept coming. I finally slammed backwards into the coral, and the clunk of the tank seemed to startle it enough to stop chasing me.

That wouldn't have been on the SW side of Roatan, would it? On my last dive there, I saw the biggest frickin green moray I have ever seen. He didn't come after me though, he was too busy munching on his spiny lobster roommate.

imasinker
11-19-2008, 20:03
I have only been diving since May of this year. I like to think of myself as a safe and relaible diver and have been told by many fellow divers I am a very good diver for a beginner. So this summer I went with my dive club to Tobermory for a weekend. It was the second day of diving and we were on the famous wreck the Arabia. My dive buddy who had been my buddy the weekend long was a great diver and I felt confident with him. We were at 80 feet on our first dive of the day the (ARABIA) at about 80 feet hovering over the deck. We are about 4 minutes into the dive at this point. I heard a weird sound and looked to my right to see my dive buddy engulfed in bubbles. He had a massive free flow something I had never sen or experienced before. He was about 5 feet away when i swam to him and put myself in front of him eye to eye and reached out to him and help him so he knew i was there. He began to struggle for my octo on my upper right clip and kept grasping at it. I had a 7 foot hose but he seemed to be fixed on my octo so I allowed him to take it. He put the octo in his mouth and he was still in panic. After he had my octo I gave the ok signal and he returned it. I placed the free flow reg to his side as he seemed really freaked signaling up and I knew we had to head up. I signaled him upward and he signaled ok. I grabed my inflator and began deflating and looked up to make sure we were clear. This is when it all went to hell. Everything happened so fast I had no time to think. We started to ascend but I noticed we were moving to quickly. He was still holding onto me I had my right hand holding him and deflating but we were not slowing down. I knew we were going to fast, so i dumped everything and tried to blow my neck seal and release air from my drysuit, but that still didnt help. We went from 80 feet to the surface in 20 seconds so my computer tells me. Being our first dive of the day we didn't get bent thank god. Being only five minutes we were lucky. I just remember saying ****..****..and breathed. So what happened, I now know. My buddy didn't dump his air and ready himself for ascending. He held onto me with one hand and the reg with the other. We we got to the surface, I asked him to inflate is BCD and he stated it is it is. I think he was in shock because he started to scream at the boat over here, over here. We were only about 100 feet off the bow. We both did things wrong. I should have never allowed us to ascend untill i gave him my primary. Even though my octo is on a 4 footit may have made him feel he needed to hold it, I don't know. One can always sit there and say you should have done this or that. I was relaxed the whole time I knew to breath, I knew he had my octo in his mouth and I couldn't take it away so i road up with him. A big lesson learned. After a breif check up at the hospital we were cleard. A free flow isin't the worst thing that can happen, but to someone new it can be difficult and scary. So again lesson learned.

Splitlip
11-19-2008, 20:44
Informative post.
Thanks

BarbadosSlim93
11-19-2008, 21:18
My very first dive, I was underwater and my reg came loose. I didn't know about purging the reg (it was a discovery dive and I wasn't told). Needless to say when it got back in, I got a nasty bit of water. That shocked me quite a bit.

tiggrr
11-20-2008, 14:22
Dark Narc and CO2 build up

Had a little over 50 dives and shot down to 90 feet. Was in warm water but, didn't know what I was doing. Was overweighted, working too hard, couldn't figure out how to work my inflator, couldn't read my gauges and then freaked the hell out. Heart was pounding a foot out my chest, felt an overwhelming urge to rip my reg out, and literally thought I was gonna die. Had a great buddy who was right there. I grabbed his arm and he brought me up. By 60fsw I felt fine and could read my gauges again.

Learned a whole lot that dive. Never go beyond your training.

Had other mishaps/things go wrong but, nothing that scared me like that.

Lj82
11-20-2008, 23:19
Had an experience that scared me quite a bit:

Was diving in a low-vis area with my girlfriend as my buddy. We were holding hands and yet we could not see each other clearly due to silt. After a few minutes she signalled to me, making a circular motion in front of her mask. I thought she meant something wrong with her mask and looked, but it was neither fogged or too tight. Seeing that she couldn't get her message across to me, she swam forward and tap another diver to indicate to her that we are ascending. I ascended with her and everything was ok at this stage.

Then I saw her spit out her reg as she break the surface, but she forgot to inflate her bcd and was sinking right back in. I managed to grab her and inflated her bcd. Later when I asked her if she realised what was happening, she told me she was giddy and didn't even realise I was helping her keep afloat.

What really scared me was that she told me when she signalled to me underwater, she really meant she was not ok (and not her mask being the problem) and she was feeling giddy. She was glad that I was holding her hands for if I wasn't, I would have lost her in the sea and god knows what would have happened. I made sure I revise with her what is the correct sign no indicating 'something is not right' after that dive!