PDA

View Full Version : Computer Prices increasing after Xmas?

CoralKisser
11-18-2008, 16:43
My local dive shop is telling me that Suunto dive computers are going up 20% after xmas. Has anyone else heard this? I'm planning to buy one for next year and he has the one in stock that I want so I cant help buy think he's just trying to make a sale.

SynCitizen
11-18-2008, 16:47
That sounds pretty brave of Suunto considering the current economic climate. Could just be a ploy.

James1010
11-18-2008, 17:50
Did he give you a reason why they where going up 20%? Or did he not give you any details and just tell you that they where going up? He might have told you that so you would buy more than one ha ha. I hope it was that, cause if they go up that would suck.

fireflock
11-18-2008, 18:48
I would be skeptical too, and I would ask why the price increase. It could be something like that dealer ordered a bunch of stock at old prices (and old models?) and is running low, or maybe something with the currency, or just a ploy to make a sale.

There are plenty of other brands that make fine computers without the 20% increase, FWIW.

imasinker
11-18-2008, 18:57
Well OMS has put up their prices as well, I think your going to see this in the coming year with a variety of scuba suppliers.

Time will tell.....

cbope
11-19-2008, 12:01
Very strange that the prices would be going up. Suunto's are made in Finland (a few miles from where I live) and their pricing is based on the Euro. The US dollar has been getting stronger vs. the Euro recently to the tune of about 20%. If anything, they should be getting cheaper in the US as the dollar gets stronger vs. the Euro.

I just checked my LDS website and the price for the D6 is exactly the same as my wife paid about 2 months ago. I'd say it's not Suunto who is raising prices but your LDS or possibly the importer. If there was a price increase by Suunto I think we'd see it here in their backyard first.

DMWiz
11-19-2008, 16:24
It sounds like a case of FUD from your LDS to get you to purchase now rather than later.

Wiz

sabbath999
11-19-2008, 20:09
It sounds like a case of FUD from your LDS to get you to purchase now rather than later.

Wiz

+1

awap
11-19-2008, 20:26
I'll bet he is just trying to make sure one of you has a very Merry Xmas.

PvtStash
11-20-2008, 00:31
my LDS is Always saying this whenever I inquire about Anything...

"yeah well, its going up after (some time within 3 mos.) so... "

WV Diver
11-20-2008, 07:19
It is not unusual for all things to increase in price at the beginning of the year. However 20% is a lot. Shoot Larry or Joe a PM, if anyone knows it would be them.

Zenagirl
11-20-2008, 07:55
So if Suunto is going up that much, buy an Oceanic! ;)

Lj82
11-20-2008, 08:49
I second the suggestion of Oceanic. They make great dive coms that can rival Suunto.

DevilDiver
11-20-2008, 08:56
When Larry and Joey from ST got back from DEMA 08 they were saying the only real improvements on dive computers coming out now was the addition of digital compasses becoming standard.

I can't see this being a 20% $$ added benifit........

cbope
11-20-2008, 09:24
When Larry and Joey from ST got back from DEMA 08 they were saying the only real improvements on dive computers coming out now was the addition of digital compasses becoming standard.

I can't see this being a 20% $$ added benifit........

New? Really? Suunto's had digital compasses in their comp's for quite a while now... of course they started out a compass manufacturer so it's no surprise.

teerlkay
11-20-2008, 15:34
for dive gear?

DMWiz
11-20-2008, 15:53
my LDS is Always saying this whenever I inquire about Anything...

"yeah well, its going up after (some time within 3 mos.) so... "

I think you should find a new LDS!

is there a black friday for dive gear?

I know of at least 3 places running "special super secret handshake" deals starting this Friday.

CoralKisser
11-21-2008, 10:21
Ya, I'm starting to think he's just out for a sale to get it off his inventory over the winter. I do need one for next year, we'll see how xmas goes.

RoyN
11-21-2008, 11:06
http://forum.scubatoys.com/customavatars/avatar708_3.gif

For a minute, I thought that dog was actually poking the avatar icon.

Anyways, thank goodness I bought the VT3 because if I waited, I probably wouldn't be able to afford it.

Kimusubi
11-23-2008, 23:20
The guy I used to work with to buy all my gear (have now switched to ST for everything) used to always tell me the prices were increasing every year, but never as drastic as 20%. I think a part of it may be true because even in a terrible economic state, companies have to raise their prices to make up for their loss, however, I think the 20% part is probably a bit exaggerated. It's probably more like 2-3% increase, if any.

rawalker
11-24-2008, 15:44
The guy I used to work with to buy all my gear (have now switched to ST for everything) used to always tell me the prices were increasing every year, but never as drastic as 20%. I think a part of it may be true because even in a terrible economic state, companies have to raise their prices to make up for their loss, however, I think the 20% part is probably a bit exaggerated. It's probably more like 2-3% increase, if any.

Only companies that can afford to stay in business without making sales can think that way. If a company increases the price of their product during an economic downturn all they accomplish is pricing their product out of the reach of a greater number of potential customers.
The opposite thinking is to lower your margin and prices and keep the sales numbers up. This helps to grow a customer base that will later need service and may lead to repeat business.
The fear now is recession with prices spiraling down as everybody tightens their belt. In this case businesses that are already at a narrow margin and have no place to go may not survive. Those that do will have greater numbers of customers as the economy changes and have room for growth. Only the smart and strong survive at least in theory.

As for your LDS telling you to look out for a 20% increase warn him of the customer mirgration to the online suppliers or those LDS that are willing to compete with online pricing.
After that warning tell him about the discount you expect for being a regular customer.

teerlkay
11-24-2008, 16:13
[quote=DMWiz;247269I know of at least 3 places running "special super secret handshake" deals starting this Friday.[/quote]
any online instructions for the super secret handshake (it's not the floppy fish is it?)

Kimusubi
11-24-2008, 18:59

Only companies that can afford to stay in business without making sales can think that way. If a company increases the price of their product during an economic downturn all they accomplish is pricing their product out of the reach of a greater number of potential customers.
The opposite thinking is to lower your margin and prices and keep the sales numbers up. This helps to grow a customer base that will later need service and may lead to repeat business.
The fear now is recession with prices spiraling down as everybody tightens their belt. In this case businesses that are already at a narrow margin and have no place to go may not survive. Those that do will have greater numbers of customers as the economy changes and have room for growth. Only the smart and strong survive at least in theory.

As for your LDS telling you to look out for a 20% increase warn him of the customer mirgration to the online suppliers or those LDS that are willing to compete with online pricing.
After that warning tell him about the discount you expect for being a regular customer.

I guess that makes sense. But that's why I'm an Engineer major and not in economics. :smiley9:

I've recently had a chance to look at dealer pricing on some scuba materials, and it's crazy on how jacked up the prices are at the store. For example, the Apeks XTX200 Status dealer price is 300 and some odd dollars, but they list the price for almost a thousand dollars. I understand there needs to be a little room for profit, but $700 is a bit ridiculous.

chicken
11-24-2008, 19:18
Prices going up next month? This is a great selling point to the boss (wife) to buy now and not wait until next year. Thanks for the excuse! Where is my Visa?