PDA

View Full Version : Gauges - compass or no compass: that is the question now.

Sasha_K
08-17-2007, 20:22
I am getting my very fist reg one of these days and wanted to get an opinion on the gauges and the options I should check out. The main concern is compass or no compass. I am a beginner diver, hoping to pass some advanced courses next year. I heard I need a gauge with compass (or some kind of compass) to pass some of those advanced courses. The compass seems to add at least $50 to the same brand/model gauge. As I am on budget the question is:

- Do I just get the whole pressure/depth/compass gauge now or later?

If I get the depth/pressure gauge now, I will likely have to get some wrist compass / dive computer later on , which could be a ‘significant’ expense. Or, from your experience, am I going to have to get the wrist computer anyways later on in my ‘diving career’, so may as well save some money on unnecessary gauges.

Thanks in advance,

ScubaToys Larry
08-17-2007, 20:29
I'd tell you if you get the Aeris gauge console: http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=AerisAnalogGauges

There is a spot in the back that has a little piece of plastic there. You can use it as a mini slate. And then when you want to add a compass module, ($34.95 http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=CompassMod) you just pop out the plastic and drop in the compass. And then for $15 you can get a wrist boot and move it from wrist to console depending where you want it.

That would be versatile and not cost much to start.

thesmoothdome
08-17-2007, 20:32
Depends on how you develop as a diver. I'm one of the few who prefer consoles. Seems like consoles sell very well, but everyone dislikes them...shrug. :anim_rolleyes:. Anyway, you should get a compass. Even if you're not proficient at using it yet, you may just want to shoot a bearing and swim for the boat or shore with it.

Illini_Fan
08-17-2007, 20:32
I'll think you'll find the computer moves up your list pretty quickly -- especially if you are going anywhere with multiple dives in a day. As with everything, you can rent a computer, but....

Having the compass as part of your console will add bulk to the standard two-gauge console. Also, many people like having a wrist compass or compass/slate combination. the beneift of a non-console compass is the ability to full extend your arms to hold the compass level. With the right house length you can also do that from a console.

I have my compass as part of a two-gauage console and I can work it from there, but might change it up.

Nothing is absolute, you can dive without a compass and in many situations be just fine. But with nearly everything in diving, when you need something, you typically really NEED it, so not having it can be very bad.

Sasha_K
08-18-2007, 09:37
Thanks. I will likely then get all 3 gauges in one for now. it doesnt make much sense to get a $35 dollar piece later, and pay somthing like $30 for shipping.

NitroWill
08-18-2007, 09:55
You can always change your equipment up later - Scuba equipment has pretty good resale if it comes down to that..Going with a compass now can let you practice using it so youll be quite familiar with it by the time AOW rolls around :smiley20:

Sasha_K
08-18-2007, 10:41
On another site, one of the divers recommended this:
"I would recommend spending the few extra bucks to get one of this side read compasses that can handle a 30 deg tilt. Nothing is as frustrating as heading off in the wrong direction because the compass wasn't level enough and the needle stuck… "

Does the one you recommend http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=CompassMod have that option?

Thanks!!

MxDiver
08-18-2007, 10:44
I got my compass in a wrist mount; the reasoning for this was versatility. If you get a console with an integrated compass it stays there, with some exceptions as noted by Larry. However if you have a wrist mount you can always move it to your console, or at least to the console hose by using and adaptor, this is way you can move it around depending on the situation or at least until you decide where you like it best.

plot
08-18-2007, 10:55
my compass is on the back of my guage console.