PDA

View Full Version : Raptor Fins

ertechsg
08-18-2007, 00:25
everyone should have seen them on the site by now. What do you think? Mares makes a good product and for the price can't see going wrong . Plus with 50 gc and 10 % of makes them really attractive

cummings66
08-18-2007, 07:53
Ill take a Jet Fin or a Turtle anyday over a split fin design. If you like them buy them.

Splitlip
08-18-2007, 08:30
everyone should have seen them on the site by now. What do you think? Mares makes a good product and for the price can't see going wrong . Plus with 50 gc and 10 % of makes them really attractive

Most of us I imagine have only seen the picture. Not much we can tell from that.

Not all fins are created equal. I would recommend trying before buying if you can. Mares is new to split fin game. I am not saying they just put something out there to get a piece of the market, but you really need to experience them and compare them to other fins if you can.
Do you use splits now? Technique and performance are different than paddles.

I have a set of splits I use often. Mine live up to the propeller technology claims.

Splitlip
08-18-2007, 08:34
Ill take a Jet Fin or a Turtle anyday over a split fin design. If you like them buy them.

Oh come on. Give us a break.
Any discussion?

PlatypusMan
08-18-2007, 09:29

Any discussion?

Well, I've actually seen them at the shop (ST that is) yesterday.

Seem narrow in comparison to the width of other fins I've had/have; material is a bit "stiffer" than my Apollo Bios. Appear well-made and will possibly buy next paycheck from the day job, since I was there to get my new Primary light and that had priority.

Cichlid
08-18-2007, 09:37
Just got off the phone with the mares rep and he tells me they are on the way to us so we should have them by the end of the week!

The fist shipment will only be in the medium size and the colors will be Yellow, Red, Blue and their new Green! They will sell for $139.95 to the rest of the world but for you guys they will be $125.00 then with your 10% discount thatís $113.00 for the next 30 days!

Thanks

Joe

This was from the Mares forum...$113...too good to pass up! :smiley20:

Splitlip
08-18-2007, 09:57

Any discussion?

Seem narrow in comparison to the width of other fins I've had/have; material is a bit "stiffer" than my Apollo Bios. Appear well-made and will possibly buy next paycheck from the day job, since I was there to get my new Primary light and that had priority.

ST will permit you to test them, Correct?
Would be interested in a report comparing to the Bios

PlatypusMan
08-18-2007, 10:51

Any discussion?

ST will permit you to test them, Correct?
Would be interested in a report comparing to the Bios

Don't know; I've never asked them to dive test anything, so this would be a first.

NitroWill
08-18-2007, 10:54
Yep, I think they will let you try out pretty much anything in store...Only sure way of finding a product you really like..

ertechsg
08-18-2007, 13:00
Was just a ? I'v never dived a split fin . Why do you not like them?

techgnostic
08-18-2007, 16:27
I have a set of splits I use often. Mine live up to the propeller technology claims.

Confess, you are simply pro-anything with the term "Split" in it...right? :smiley2:

Splitlip
08-19-2007, 22:41

Confess, you are simply pro-anything with the term "Split" in it...right? :smiley2:

Nah. Just my surfboards. "Split Lip" boards shaped by Florida's Chris Birch.
Also have a couple of Dewey Webers, but if I called myself "Dewey", you'd have all thought of the kid on "Malcom in the Middle"

brandon
08-19-2007, 23:04
I dunno... I kind of want new perdy looking fins, but my IDI Frog Foot fins just work too darn well.

I might ask a buddy if I can try her Apollo splits one of these days... I dunno though.

The new Mares fins sure look great, I think I just read they'll be reviewed in the November Scuba Diving magazine. If you're getting the complimentary copy from Scubatoys, keep your eye open

-B.

techgnostic
08-20-2007, 07:01

Nah. Just my surfboards. "Split Lip" boards shaped by Florida's Chris Birch.
Also have a couple of Dewey Webers, but if I called myself "Dewey", you'd have all thought of the kid on "Malcom in the Middle"

That explains it. Nothing wrong with Dewey...I know several librarians who would agree with me.

NitroWill
08-20-2007, 09:41
Come on guys..back on topic :smiley20:

Noones tried the fins yet?

ScubaToys Larry
08-20-2007, 09:45
The are virtually identical to zooms in look and function... the only difference is they have the new version of the abs buckles from mares. But if you've tried the zooms, these will be the same.

NitroWill
08-20-2007, 09:46
I havent personally..
Ive had my SP TwinJet Pros for 6~ years..
I love them but Im getting the urge to go w/ something new..
I really like those new Quattros - but Im not so sure my bad knee can handle them..

Geronimo
08-24-2007, 06:47
So, Larry...how do the Zooms fare? I know that may be stupid question because I'm probably the only diver that doesn't know. I just ordered all my stuff from you and Joe (made you guys ship it all the way to Korea) but I didn't buy fins because I couldn't decide what to get. I wanted the Apollo Bio-Fins...then I read so much about people saying paddle fins give more control...I decided to go with a paddle fin. Now, I'm not really sure again.

I am going to give underwater videography a try so control is going to be important. But I'd love the ease of the split fins....anything to help me get more time out of a tank.

Souvy
08-24-2007, 16:15
I have the Zooms and absolutely love them. The Mares fins look exactly the same with the exception that they don't seem to have as much of a bend in them (I believe the angle of the Zooms is 27 degrees). I'd recommend the Zooms, they're $10 less and you get a nifty gear bag to boot! I'm also not a big fan of the ABS buckles although these apparently have an updated version which is not supposed to cost you a fingernail everytime you want to take a fin off. Cheers.

DirtyWaterIL
08-24-2007, 17:23
Just another split fin. i saw a guy wearing them last weekend in the pool, he was barely moving when he kicked.

cummings66
08-24-2007, 18:48
I think the thing with a split fin is technique, so I'm told. I can't make much headway with them and they don't impress me. To be fair, when I first tried my Jets coming from an Akona and some other brand fin I didn't like the Jets because they were too hard on me. I was sore the first time out.

After a bit it's not bad. In fact I've dove with an ankle that hurt too much to move through it's range of motion and did fine because even a little kick with the Jet is enough to move you. Kick hard and you really move which I think is a characteristic of stiff fins.

But splits to me don't seem to have power to them, I can't explain it other than to say I was told it was technique. I apparently lack it.

cummings66
08-24-2007, 18:50
Why do you not like them?

In my drysuit I've noticed that with some fins I can keep up with some strong swimmers without working myself to death, other fins don't work so well. Splits are a fin that never even come close to keeping up without me getting way too tired. So, I don't care for them.

As I said a bit ago I'm told it's how you use them and I just don't know how from what I'm told.

Splitlip
08-24-2007, 20:48
Just another split fin. i saw a guy wearing them last weekend in the pool, he was barely moving when he kicked.

Oh come on now. That makes you sound foolish.

(unless your tongue is firmly planted in your cheek :) )

cummings66
08-24-2007, 21:29
They move you ok as far as I know, but for me as I said it seemed like I had to work too hard to equal the speed a guy with a force fin moved. I don't think I'd ever want one of those, but that's how it worked out for me.

dk2943
08-25-2007, 23:50
OK, so if they perform the same as Tusas, how do they compare to:
Oceanic 12
Oceanic 16
Atomic
Bio-fin
Bio-fix XT

For all us split wanna bees, what is the truth

Krakenn
08-26-2007, 04:16
Hey Dk, I have Volos and V12 and I have asked the same question twice before he aint going to answer. I think you will need to break the tablets with the 10 Commandments because that bush aint going to burn.

The answer will be in the market if they last more than 12 months there ok if not they are not upto the competition.

I must add that I love the Oceanic V12, but the Raptor looks firmer this may be good for dual use in freediving as it may give a bit more ummmpff to the fin.

You can buy biofins in Australia now for $49 at last weeks Boat and Dive Show sooo .....

Kraks

Cichlid
09-10-2007, 00:26
I posted a limited review here:

http://forum.scubatoys.com/showthread.php?p=48744#post48744

Aussie
09-10-2007, 05:13
Krakenn,

Split fins for free diving......your kidding arnt you

Aussie

Krakenn
09-10-2007, 05:51
Well Aussie, I earn a fair quid like you and if I really want it I go get it mate.

However, unlike you that obviously had the silver spoon from early childhood (Smiles), I still remember my Nemrod fins and skindiving down at the rocks in Mandurah they were my only fins soft rubber and really long. When they broke on the side I repaired them with Araldite a door hinge and 6 galv screws, sigh, while listening to the Bee Gees latest hit.

So what Im saying pal is that if Im hunting free Im using Omer Bat25, when im craying and going long distance underwater im using Oceanic V12, when im boat diving Im using Volo Race fullfoots.

I got some mates that use a set of V12 for every dive they make mate and get upset if they scratch them. So what Im saying by using the term 'dual fin' is that over all splits may be the best all round option if you can use a split fin and the raptor look as though they have a bit more in them for the freekicker/scuba combo diver that only has the one set of fins.

No offence :doghouse:

Kraks

creggur
09-10-2007, 07:14
I think the thing with a split fin is technique, so I'm told. I can't make much headway with them and they don't impress me.
But splits to me don't seem to have power to them, I can't explain it other than to say I was told it was technique. I apparently lack it.

There is a video on Apollo's web site that shows proper kicking technique with the splits. I have the Zooms and love them. I've had no problem with acceleration, nor problem keeping up with anyone. Now my diving experience is limited, but after watching the video on Apollo's site, and using the kicks that they show there, I can scoot along with no problem, and without working very hard....YMMV