PDA

View Full Version : Selling fish in Florida

Largo
11-23-2008, 11:21
Question for the Floridians.

A few times I've seen grouper swimming by, in FL waters, and thought, "Jeez, that's got to be a $100 worth of fish, at least." What hoops would a person have to jump through to be legally able to sell a speared fish (Grouper) to a restaurant?

On another vein, smoked mullet is mighty tasty, but a FL diver told me that it was illegal to spear mullet. Is this true?

Thanks.

Splitlip
11-23-2008, 12:57
Well I think you need both your commercial fishing license and a saltwater wholesale/retail license.

That is how Hogfish end up in restaurants sometimes. Commercial spearfisherman. They are very hard to take on hook and line.

As for mullet, I can't imagine why they cannot be speared. Except they would be hard to hit. :). And I would not eat one. They can be purchased pretty cheaply at any bait shop.

reeldive
11-23-2008, 15:23
Mullet can be speared in FL See Fishing Areas - Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (http://myfwc.com/fishingareas.html) for details on all FL fishing and Know befor you go! It always sickens me to see someone come up and ask if they can keep the fish they just killed. "Kill and release" might save you a fine if stopped by FWC on the way back in but just ain't sporting. IF YOU DON"T KNOW please don't kill it.

DMWiz
11-23-2008, 15:53
Fishing Areas - Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (http://myfwc.com/fishingareas.html) for details on all FL fishing and Know befor you go! It always sickens me to see someone come up and ask if they can keep the fish they just killed. "Kill and release" might save you a fine if stopped by FWC on the way back in but just ain't sporting. IF YOU DON"T KNOW please don't kill it.

I agree... people shoot stuff all the time and don't even know if it's good eating!

And yes you need a salt water product license and possibly an RS endorsement depending on your bag limits. Read this document: Commercial Fisheries Fact Sheet (http://www.floridaconservation.org/marine/Docs/SellSaltwaterProducts.pdf)

Wiz

Largo
11-23-2008, 16:29
Mullet can be speared in FL See Fishing Areas - Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (http://myfwc.com/fishingareas.html) for details on all FL fishing and Know befor you go! It always sickens me to see someone come up and ask if they can keep the fish they just killed. "Kill and release" might save you a fine if stopped by FWC on the way back in but just ain't sporting. IF YOU DON"T KNOW please don't kill it.

What's with the flame? If I were that type of person, I wouldn't have bothered to ask how to fish in a legitimate fashion.

ScubaToys Larry
11-23-2008, 16:34

What's with the flame? If I were that type of person, I wouldn't have bothered to ask how to fish in a legitimate fashion.

I just thought I'd jump in here - Largo, it really seems to me reading his post as an outsider, that it was not a flame to your post. Just a comment on what he has seen from some spear fishing folks - and I'm sure he hasn't seen you - so it was not directed toward your post.

Largo
11-23-2008, 16:37
Oh, sorry.

Big Hug? :smiley31:

DMWiz
11-23-2008, 17:33
I just thought I'd jump in here - Largo, it really seems to me reading his post as an outsider, that it was not a flame to your post. Just a comment on what he has seen from some spear fishing folks - and I'm sure he hasn't seen you - so it was not directed toward your post.

I agree... I don't think he was flaming you!:smiley20:

Splitlip
11-23-2008, 19:51

Rant on for a moment.

Every time I see an adult Angel without it's mate I am pretty sure odds are some jerk shot it with a spear or power head. Or some hook and line guy took the fish and let it die or maybe cut it up for bait. At least using it for bait is better than just killing it.

OK.
Rant off.

Seen clowns shoot Parrotfish. WTF!

scubastud
11-23-2008, 20:14
I am still laughing at the phrase "Kill and Release"!

Grin
11-24-2008, 08:33
On the topic of trying to sell a Grouper. Yes they are worth about $100 each. No, you can't sell them unless your completely licensed to do so. Next question is "how do I get one of these licenses?". Good luck! Comercial fishing gets regulated more and more every year. Definatly a good thing!
Grouper is a reef fish thus you 1st need a Restricted species license, which is very hard to get these days. Requires selling $5000 worth of "Unrestricted species" in a 12 month period with trip tickets from a seafood dealer to proove it. The catch is: virtually everything is designated a "Restricted species". Now once you have somehow attained the RS licence, you now need a Reef species(or maybe it's called a Grouper Snapper permit, I am not sure) permit to sell Grouper and Snapper. These cost big $$$. I am not sure exactly how much $$$ but it's like 10s of thousands, if I'm not mistaken.

Personally, I think comercial harvets of Grouper and Snapper should be regulated into oblivion. Eliminated, would be OK with me. The US comercials keep the public scared that they won't have any fish to eat if this were to happen. Reality is US caught seafood is a drop in the bucket, and it is highly unlikely that 5% of the seafood you have eaten in the last 10 years was US caught. Foreign comercial fishing is extremely hard to compete with since crew members can be payed $5 a day and regulations in South America are virtually non exixtant. They provide cheap high quality seafood, that is shipped in crushed ice crates via air freight every day. I used to sell some fish and I saw the crates full of grouper and Mahi and other species. Even if you live in Florida, most seafood comes from overseas. If you pay $20 for a lb of Grouper, it might be local caught. If your fish sandwich cost $9, it is not fresh caught local Grouper.

The best way to look at it is: Don't turn your passion into a job. The second you get money for your hobby it changes everything about how you approach your hobby/passion. Comercial fishing is a dirty business with lots of corruption and greed involved. I know because I somewhat got sucked in for awhile and escaped. I now enjoy diving and fishing more than ever. When you can see a Grouper and not see $$$ you have clearly won the battle. I see grouper as dinner. But the difference is I only need one or two, not all 30 of them. I often pass on a Grouper becasue he is not a trophy or I have enough in the freezer to make it a "What's the point situation". I use dto give fish to everyone i know, but have limited that down to a minumum also. Reason: 1. Most have no clue how valuable qualitywise a fresh grouper is. They screw it up when they cook it, or they freeze it for a couple months before eating it(long term frozen fish is not fresh fish). 2. It's work for me to harvest fish becasue I am obcessed with quality, from icing correctly to cleaning correctly and timly. It's so much easier to clean one fish or none is even easier.
The benefit of a single grouper to the economy along with the health of the fishery concern, should place recreational interest over comercial value at a much more extreme ratio leaning toward recreational than it does. Comercial harvest of Grouper is huge. Comercial fisherman feed their families with fish from the same reefs that recreational fisherman and divers harvest maybe 5% of what comercials do. For whatever reson people don't see that a comercial fisherman needs to sell alot of fish to make 50k, 100k a year. That's alot of fish! Recreationals don't even come close to these numbers. Most recs spend about 1-5 grand a year for every Grouper they eat. Where-as comercials sell them for $100 each. Also remember, comercials have licences that allow them to not have to stop harvesting at a rec limit of 1 grouper per person. So when the Grouper are congregating, they take as many as 30-50 fish a day, every day. Many will contest this but I've done it. It's true. No way in hell do recreatioanls take the amount of grouper that fisheries managment trys to claim. Recs get limited more and more until finally the comercial fisheries completely decimate.
The reason I state all this is: As of Jan 1st 2009, the entire Grouper fishery is completely shut down to zero grouper per person in virtually the entire Atlantic Ocean. Then opening 4 months later on May 1st. Meaning exactly that! You (rec or comercial) cannot keep even one grouper(any type grouper)from the Altlantic, for those 4 months, whoever you are for any reason.
I could go on and on debating it this way and that. But here is all I wish for you to pay attention to. During this closed season time, where no fish can be kept or sold, pay attention to the fact that there wil still be plenty of fresh Grouper for sale. Meaning the imported Grouper market, that exists today, will make the entire US Grouper shut down invisible to all. You won't notice any change at all. I gaurantee it! It should be very intersting to observe the results of this closure if you pay attetion, and relaize, and judge for yourself. I know I will be testing restaurants Grouper quality. And I will be observing populations of Grouper on the reefs as the season proceeds.
Long story short: Don't waste your time thinking about selling grouper! It's a cluster XXXX of a topic. Enjoy your diving and fight to retain the right to harvest a occassional recreational caught grouper, year round, for your rewards. As it stands now, $$ for fish has you(the rec guy) shut out for 4 months of the year, and only allowed 1 a day, the rest of the year. That isn't becasue of rec fisherman pressure, it's becasue of comercial pressure(in other words, $$ for fish).

Largo
11-24-2008, 10:39
Grin,
Thanks! That was a ton of info. I'd like to pass this on to some friends who fish recreationally (hook and line). I've never been that interested in spearfishing, or even tried it. I have a second-hand speargun, but I've never gotten it wet. I'm more into finning around and looking at the pretty sealife. But, It's hard not to look at a fish and think about recouping some of the investment. Thanks for the education!

James1010
11-24-2008, 11:44
well if your flamming that is a different story in itself. Think if you get everything squared away and you hunt everyday with about 3 groupers at around 100 smackers that could be the best job in the world... Other than what I do :smiley2:

James1010
11-24-2008, 11:52
Just read page two, never mind to many laws. Sounds easier to open up a Starbucks then to sell some fish.

castiron
07-02-2009, 14:00
Rant on for a moment.
Every time I see an adult Angel without it's mate I am pretty sure odds are some jerk shot it with a spear or power head. Or some hook and line guy took the fish and let it die or maybe cut it up for bait. At least using it for bait is better than just killing it.
OK.
Rant off.

I can't for the life of me figure out why every spearfishermen seems to be considered a jerk or poacher. Spearfishing is the most selective and minimal by-catch method of taking fish and is much more difficult than hook and line fishing. I don't personally know any spearfisherman who targets illegal fish.

Though not legal here in FL parrotfish are legal to take in some areas.

The likelyhood of a shark or other predator taking an angelfish is far greater than a diver or fisherman, and I guess they don't die from old age or disease either.

fire diver
07-02-2009, 15:37
Rant on for a moment.
OK.
Rant off.

I can't for the life of me figure out why every spearfishermen seems to be considered a jerk or poacher. Spearfishing is the most selective and minimal by-catch method of taking fish and is much more difficult than hook and line fishing. I don't personally know any spearfisherman who targets illegal fish.

The likelyhood of a shark or other predator taking an angelfish is far greater than a diver or fisherman, and I guess they don't die from old age or disease either.

Taking a very old post rather personal aren't you?

I don't see the post as attacking spearos at all. He was saying that he's sick of seeing "wannabes" who know nothing of the regulations or ethics of spearing, killing everything they see, just to kill something.

fire diver
07-02-2009, 15:40
Grin,
..... I've never been that interested in spearfishing, or even tried it. I have a second-hand speargun, but I've never gotten it wet. I'm more into finning around and looking at the pretty sealife.

Largo, PLEASE tell me this isn't the speargun that SHE used to shoot you in the back is it? I told you not to hold on to that. Just let it go, that's in the past!

:smiley2:

petronius
07-02-2009, 16:00
I am still laughing at the phrase "Kill and Release"!

We refer to it as "filet and release" - tossing the remnants back so they can feed future big fish...

:)

castiron
07-02-2009, 16:54
Rant on for a moment.
OK.
Rant off.

I don't see the post as attacking spearos at all. He was saying that he's sick of seeing "wannabes" who know nothing of the regulations or ethics of spearing, killing everything they see, just to kill something.

It was on the first page I didn't realize it was so old but that doesn't change anything. Yes this seems to be an atypical theory on atypical spearos, so yes I got a little hot and bothered.

He is making assumptions that make me look bad.:smiley21:

Splitlip
07-02-2009, 17:24
Rant on for a moment.
OK.
Rant off.

Oh give me a break!
I am hunter, and I agree with you about hunting. Hook a reef fish which is too small, you likely killed it by the time you got it to the surface. If I were king, I would outlaw all forms of fishing (commercial and rec), but for spearing. The rest of the world would have to eat farm raised fish.
As for clowns (I never said spear fiherman)shooting and power heading Angels, Parrotfish and Nurse sharks for that matter I have seen it and still hear about. It is usually the guys with the "toy" spearguns or small peepees.

BTW, have you ever filleted and eaten a Parrotfish.

castiron
07-02-2009, 17:37
I don't agree with elliminating recreational fishing. I enjoy all types of hunting and fishing. Glad your not king although I do agree with the first part of your signature.

I havn't had the oppertunity to eat a parrotfish due to our regulations, but I here they are very good.

fire diver
07-02-2009, 19:07
It was on the first page I didn't realize it was so old but that doesn't change anything. Yes this seems to be an atypical theory on atypical spearos, so yes I got a little hot and bothered.

Dude, get over it. Nobody's making you look bad but you. You sign up today and start out arguing and flaming. GREAT JOB! :smiley29:

Nobody has said anything bad about spearos.

Splitlip
07-02-2009, 20:03
Rant on for a moment.
OK.
Rant off.

Whoa!
I did not see this post!

emt
07-31-2009, 19:14
"Seen clowns shoot Parrotfish. WTF! __________________"

Tim,
I still remember a trip to Grand Cayman about 25 years ago when the guy working the boat said he was going out to spear some fish for us to eat. I told my wife I saw nothing to shoot as I could easily reach the bottom depths we were snorkeling.
He returned with a stringer of parrotfish and conch. Of course I saw the parrotfish but had no idea he was going to shoot them. I guess it was legal back then in Grand Cayman (we were snorkeling north side).
They actually tasted quite good and very white meat as was the conch.
The jewfish were fine back when legal to eat. Funny how things change with time.

Grin
08-01-2009, 09:33
In Hawaii parrotfish are a common speared fish. They have few fish like grouper and snapper there. In Japan they kill (net) and eat porpoise. But what wouldn't a Jap eat that comes from the sea?

Xyzpdq0121
06-10-2010, 09:47
Question for the Floridians.

A few times I've seen grouper swimming by, in FL waters, and thought, "Jeez, that's got to be a $100 worth of fish, at least." What hoops would a person have to jump through to be legally able to sell a speared fish (Grouper) to a restaurant?

On another vein, smoked mullet is mighty tasty, but a FL diver told me that it was illegal to spear mullet. Is this true?

Thanks.

I know someone in Panama City that sells some of his spearfishing catch to a fishmonger for some cash and credit. But there are regulations about selling directly to restaurants.