PDA

View Full Version : light for night diving

Subaqua
08-18-2007, 06:33
Hi,
I'm looking for a light that I could use during night dives. Divers that I know use UK C4 or C8 type of light but I found them too big. Does it exist smaller format (eg. pelican sabrelight) that would be good enough for night diving?

Thanks

cummings66
08-18-2007, 06:57
There exists smaller lights sure, but you will find a trade off occurs. IMO the C4 isn't that big for a primary light. If you want something in a smaller package I suppose you could get something like one of the new Dive Rite LED's, Photon Torpedo, or something like that.

Personally for a night dive you want something that's going to light up the area for a long time, not just for a few minutes and you will want a backup.

Splitlip
08-18-2007, 08:03
This one really interests me. I just have not heard from anyone who has actually had experience.
http://www.nocturnallights.com/SLX_LED_Technical_Package_p/slx%20tech.htm

Zenagirl
08-18-2007, 08:28
This one really interests me. I just have not heard from anyone who has actually had experience.

WE HAVE 2 OF THOSE!!!!! Love, love, love this light!! We got one for my husband and when he couldn't get it away from me, we bought another one for me. :D

Not only is the customer service at Nocturnal Lights fabulous (thanks Tim!), but the lights are super well constructed, they take AAA batteries, and they have a very bright, blue/white light. We were amazed that we got easily over 6+ hours of use off one set of batteries on our last trip, and it was interesting to compare the color of our SLX lights to other lights on our night dives. Ours was by far the whitest and made for an excellent photography light.

What we found at night was that the focus beam on the light is very bright, but that the light softens to a diameter of about 4 feet around the edges, which was perfect for gently lighting up a subject for a photograph. The focus beam cut through the dark water like a hot knife through butter, which made for easier navigation.

During the daytime, it's an outstanding light for checking in the nooks and crannies, and when we used it to light up a subject for a photograph, the blue/white color of the light didn't distort the colors of the critter and reef.

I absolutely 100% think that these lights are worth every penny we spent.

Splitlip
08-18-2007, 10:22
Thanks!
Earlier I had posted a request for information. Your input is appreciated.
I had seen a write up in (I think) Scuba diving magazine. Liked everything I read and was looking for a real person with real life experience.
Did you buy directly from Nocturnal?

Zenagirl
08-18-2007, 12:19
Yeah, Scuba Diving had a review last month I think. It was favorable, but understated as far as I'm concerned. I wish they had talked something about the difference between a lantern grip and pistol grip though. Don't think I could stand going back to a pistol grip after having a lantern grip.

We bought the first one directly, but then got the second one on ebay. Price difference was about $60 at the time, but I think the price has come down on the website below what we paid for the first one.

If you check the clearance page, they have a demo tech SLX on sale for $210. That includes the neoprene handgrip thingy if you're interested in an alternative way to hold the light. Great price!

DivingsInMyBlood
08-18-2007, 12:32

that looks like a real tasty light :smiley20:

Splitlip
08-18-2007, 14:41
Yeah, Scuba Diving had a review last month I think. It was favorable, but understated as far as I'm concerned. I wish they had talked something about the difference between a lantern grip and pistol grip though. Don't think I could stand going back to a pistol grip after having a lantern grip.

We bought the first one directly, but then got the second one on ebay. Price difference was about $60 at the time, but I think the price has come down on the website below what we paid for the first one.

If you check the clearance page, they have a demo tech SLX on sale for $210. That includes the neoprene handgrip thingy if you're interested in an alternative way to hold the light. Great price!

Thanks. Will do.