PDA

View Full Version : Cozumel recomendations

dcross2002
11-25-2008, 14:39
Hi all,

Party of 5 of us are off to CZM for Christmas and would like any recommendations on a good dive shop.

I am going to do Rescue, 2 are going to do Open Water, 1 is going just for a few good dives and the final guy already PADI qualified (years ago) is still debating to get back in.

Any ones I should avoid? Any good trainers to look for.

Any help greatly appreciated.

teerlkay
11-25-2008, 15:30
I'm sure you will get a gazillion recomendations and here is mine:
Scuba Mau

Mau (Mexican) and Opal (American) run it. They are newish shop but everyone at the shop worked at other diveshops prior to opening scubamau. The diveguides are all local. They are friendly and their prices are reasonable. They only use small, fast boats (not all dive shops can say that) and their boats have cover from the sun (again, not all dive shops have that). Above and beyond all that, they really want to make sure you needs are being met and you are having fun. They can hook you up with hotel packages to if you like. They are south of town but north of the cruise ship pier. If you are a customer, the shore diving is free
Scuba Mau Cozumel (http://www.scubamaucozumel.com/)

I have no affiliation with them but I am a happy customer

dcross2002
11-26-2008, 05:01
thanks for the recommendation

tone
11-26-2008, 06:40
Welcome to Scuba Tony in Cozumel Mexico, Scuba Instrution, Private Dive Trips, Hotel reservations and more. (http://www.scubatony.com)

:smiley20:

There are many good good ops to choose from and this is my choice.
Owner, Tony, his boat captains and dive masters are top notch. Fast boat, dive when, where and to your capability. Fruit and snacks on board plus relaxing service interval on a beach. Professional, knowledgeable, knows all the dive sites. Never touch your gear except when donning for dives; will set up, clean, store and have it ready for next days dive.

Have a great time!

ParrotheadDiver
11-26-2008, 09:34
Christmas is a busy time....your dive op faves may be booked up....have you emailed anyone to see if they have space available

I will be there Dec 27- Jan 1...diving with blueXt Cozumel Diving: Blue XT SEA Diving, Cozumel Mexico (http://www.bluextseadiving.com/) and that is who I would recommend if she has space:smiley20:

dcross2002
11-26-2008, 10:16
didnt know that pre-booking is advisable, first time to CZM. Will look into now as bit of a last minute trip.

Fingers crossed I can still get a decent dive school as nothing worse than turning up with 20 other divers and seeing more rubber fins/flippers than living ones

scubarobin
11-26-2008, 10:29
:smiley20: I would look at PapaHogs. Papa Hogs Scuba Emporium of Cozumel - Mexico (http://www.papahogs.com)
they did our OW referral back in 2000. Margaret and Mike, both instructors and the owners, are Canadian but living there for 20+ years and can do any cert class you want. They do a great job in my opinion. Our daughter was 12 when she did the cert dives with Margaret and we were very pleased with how patient she was and didn't push our daughter when she got nervous on one dive. They told her when she was ready to finish the course they would be there. They let her snorkel for a couple of dives while me and husband finished our course and she came to them after than and said she hated snorkeling, she wanted to dive! Margaret got her gear and out into the water right there at the shop they went to finish all her skills! It was awesome.:smiley20:

They have several small boats and will keep your group together if you want and take you where you want. Very customer oriented op and easy to work with. :smiley20:

robin

ParrotheadDiver
11-26-2008, 11:50
didnt know that pre-booking is advisable, first time to CZM. Will look into now as bit of a last minute trip.

Fingers crossed I can still get a decent dive school as nothing worse than turning up with 20 other divers and seeing more rubber fins/flippers than living ones

yes I would advise prebooking if possible....especially since you will traveling with so many divers....most of the ops on the island are good....but we all have our favorites

here is a link to several dive ops on the island
Scuba Diving Cozumel - Dive Shops, Dive Operators, Cozumel Hotels, Cozumel Restaurants, Cozumel Reefs (http://www.scuba-diving-cozumel.com/)

dcross2002
11-26-2008, 12:12
most helpful guys,

islandbum
11-27-2008, 15:37
Everyone is right many good shops here. I dive with a few different ones. I enjoy Reef Divers out of the Sherwood Depot dive shop. Family run by Hernan Bacelis. Email hernanbacelis@hotmail.com Phone 987-872-42-05.

mrm777
11-27-2008, 17:02
Dive With Martin....we had great dives and the price is terrific. Good op for beginners too as they loan gear for free.

mr_tabasco
12-02-2008, 12:10
I would second the Papa Hogs. They are ver flexible and I would think could put something together to fit everyone in the group. Just give them a shout and let them know what you want ahead of time if possible.

WaScubaDude
12-02-2008, 13:02
Hi all,

Party of 5 of us are off to CZM for Christmas and would like any recommendations on a good dive shop.

I am going to do Rescue, 2 are going to do Open Water, 1 is going just for a few good dives and the final guy already PADI qualified (years ago) is still debating to get back in.

Any ones I should avoid? Any good trainers to look for.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Dive with Martin and Blue Angel are both great. Some of DWM's gear was old and worn. Pappa Hogs has a great rep and I looked at their boat full of nice new gear and thought we might try them next time.

DWM has great prices, as low as $54 for two tank dives, INCLUDING all your gear. Others Charge as much as $70, plus nick you big for the gear. Remember to tip if you are happy with the service...$5 to $20 per person, per outing is a good guide.

We used Stacey Burton at vacation Conection to book DWM and great all inclusive hotel. 1-888-512-trip or sburton@airmail.net
If you book thru Stacey you can pay with a credit card (many shops only take cash in Coz) and she will send out all the forms so you don't have to hassle with it in Cozumel. DWM has several boats and can put like minded/skilled divers together in the same boat.

SynCitizen
12-02-2008, 13:07
Right now I am leaning towards DWM. Between the reviews i've been reading and there pricing, in particular for multiple days is very competitive. I'd be happy to review whoever we dive with when we get back.... already packed, boarding passes printed, and lifting off the tarmac in 17 hrs. Vegas, Denver, Cozumel here we come! Will be sitting on the beach drinking margaritas in less than 24hrs from now!

DevilDiver
12-02-2008, 16:58
All of the shops mentioned above are good choices (Opal at Scuba Mau is great). I will throw one more out since you stated you will be looking at taking courses on your trip.

Deep Exposure Dive Center Cozumel Scuba Diving with Deep Exposure Dive Center Cozumel (http://www.deepexposuredivecenter.com/sitemap.html).

They specialize in training (NAUI, PADI) and more custom type dives than the rest of the operations on the island. You usually will not hear about Deep Exposure from vacationers or see them advertise in the trade magazines. They are also one of the only shops that offer Advanced Nitrox, Trimix and rebreather dives.

This is not the normal Cozumel dive shop........

Whatever you choose, have a great trip!!

horncasey
08-31-2009, 09:39
I heard dive with Martin is great going to try them out myself in Oct 09

texas-buzzard
09-01-2009, 18:55
Went with Christi of BlueXT diving twice. excellant operation for the beginner as well as the pros.

mstevens
09-07-2009, 23:44
I'll be diving with Blue Magic Scuba for the second time this year in a few weeks. We followed a favorite DM there from another shop and found we liked them better than our old favorite. Blue XTSea gets extremely favorable reviews but we have not dived with them yet. Another to consider is Aldora.

jimanderson
09-29-2009, 11:40
We are from Kansas and have gone twice to Cozumel . We have never dived with anyone except Deep Exposure . My wife is due for a new hip---they help her take her tank and fins off to get up the ladder . We had six divers in august and had a blast . Crew is friendly and good . We are all novices but they had much more experienced divers on board and it went well .

COScubaBob
10-05-2009, 11:50
We're going over Christmas and New Years to Casa Del Mar.

We've stayed there before and they were great!! Very friendly! The dives were awesome and the dive masters were great!

Bill
10-05-2009, 13:18
My vote is for Scuba with Alison. She is awesome and a lot of fun. Great at training and specializes in small groups with excellent safety and attention to the needs of her customers.

Bill

clavicl3
10-05-2009, 15:09
Scuba Doo at the El Presidente resort took care of me pretty well. Went on 3 occasions with them in a 1-week span.

Okc_diver
10-05-2009, 20:33
Scuba Doo at the El Presidente resort took care of me pretty well. Went on 3 occasions with them in a 1-week span.

I second Scuba Du. Dove with them back in May had a great time. The resort I was staying at (El Cozumeleno) was too far north for any of the other shops but every morning at 7:30 there was the boat. There was a few times that the boat could not take us back to our resort but Scuba Du paid for the taxi.

What ever shop you choose you will have a great time diving.

And I also would reserve a spot in advance to make sure you can dive

mrm777
10-07-2009, 00:10
Have heard several good reports on Scuba Mau.

ScubaGir1
10-07-2009, 00:49
Yep, Scuba Du was great! The night dives are awesome there!

firstdive2005
10-13-2009, 03:09
Hi-if you havent booked yet then research Mau at Scubamaucozumel. He is such a great instructor. Very patient and safe. I have been on so many dives while he is instructing and all his clients where totally calm and confident. It makes me wish there where some tech courses he could teach me. The other dive masters are second to none on the island. That said most dive masters that are from the island are good there. They are especially safe and fun to dive with. The boats are fast, covered. Water, fruit are supplied for the SI. Email Opal and she will get you a great deal. They are located at Villa Blanca and the shore dives are free. I hope you have a great time no matter who you choose. Good diving to ya. kev

Clernix
10-14-2009, 09:38
I am heading down in Dec as well and I went with Deep Exposure. I researched online and found they appealed to me the most. They did ask for half up front which for my gf and myself (she needs some gear just got cert.) was a check for $477. I have to admit it made me a little uneasy. I did some more research before I sent the check and could only find great things about them. They even through in a free computer for 5 dives and gave me 10% since I booked a whole week. Since I haven't used the shop don't know if I can recommend it but there follow up so far has been great.

rayaa3
10-14-2009, 10:56
hmmm, half up front that's interesting. I've never done that. PapaHogs asks for a credit card # for deposit (you call the owner in canada, and give it to them, they email the shop and indicate you have a reservation on file).

I've also used Dive House II the shop in Fiesta Americana, they required no deposit before hand.

SYOTABUCS
10-30-2009, 08:59
Even though this thread was started a while back looks like it is still usefull.

Another recommendation for Scuba Mau. My 23 year old daughter is going down with us in 3 weeks and I am trusting her with Mau to get her training/certification. Opal and Mau have put together a great team.

rednose83
10-30-2009, 12:44
My vote is for Scuba with Alison. She is awesome and a lot of fun. Great at training and specializes in small groups with excellent safety and attention to the needs of her customers.

Bill

We are diving with Alison in January. I've heard good things about her, her gear, her boat, and staff.