PDA

View Full Version : Oceanic Computers Decompression Model

teerlkay
11-25-2008, 14:40
As a happy and long term oceanic computer user, I was surprised to read this in the manual. It's in a bunch of their manuals, including their current models:
"The decompression model used by an Oceanic dive computer is based on the no decompression multilevel repetitive schedules successfully tested by Dr. Ray Rogers and Dr. Michael Powell. These tests did not include repetitive dives deeper than 90 feet (27 meters) or decompression dives."

I had always assumed ( I know I know) they were based on PADI tables.

I don't normally do repetitive dives deeper than 90 feet but it's not beyond the realm of reasonable.

cummings66
11-25-2008, 16:16
I don't recall that being in my dive computers manual, it's a VT3. I thought it said something to the effect of modified haldane or some such spelling.

I don't believe any dive computer uses Padi dive tables because Padi is very aggressive in keeping it to themselves. Haldane or modifed seems to be the popular ones, RGBM the next most popular. Some of the newer tech computers can have tables uploaded to them so it's what you want there, VRM being one common choice.

I've had a couple Oceanic and both used Modified Haldane. I'm going to google that and get the spelling right. Fixed them.

What dive computer do you have that says the 90 feet bit, I'm wondering about that part since mine doesn't say it or I skipped over it. I had thought I'd read my manual well, but you know how it is. Gloss over here, there, next thing you know you're floating upside down in a barrel.

My manual doesn't have it, but I did find it in a online manual Oceanic has on their site, they say they're also based on US Navy Theory. It seems to contradict what they said in the prior paragraph, I wonder which is more accurate.

DMWiz
11-25-2008, 16:21
Reading this may clarify the issue for you:

Development and validation of no-stop decompression procedures for recreational diving: the DSAT recreational dive planner. (http://archive****bicon-foundation.org/4228)

teerlkay
11-25-2008, 16:55
I don't recall that being in my dive computers manual, it's a VT3. I thought it said something to the effect of modified haldane or some such spelling.

I don't believe any dive computer uses Padi dive tables because Padi is very aggressive in keeping it to themselves. Haldane or modifed seems to be the popular ones, RGBM the next most popular. Some of the newer tech computers can have tables uploaded to them so it's what you want there, VRM being one common choice.

I've had a couple Oceanic and both used Modified Haldane. I'm going to google that and get the spelling right. Fixed them.

What dive computer do you have that says the 90 feet bit, I'm wondering about that part since mine doesn't say it or I skipped over it. I had thought I'd read my manual well, but you know how it is. Gloss over here, there, next thing you know you're floating upside down in a barrel.

My manual doesn't have it, but I did find it in a online manual Oceanic has on their site, they say they're also based on US Navy Theory. It seems to contradict what they said in the prior paragraph, I wonder which is more accurate.
-----------------
typing this from upside down in a barrel so excuse any typos.

I should clarify - I found it in their PDC Safety & Reference Manual. I actually read about it on an online review from the tall crusty british guy - i forget his name. And quite frankly, I didn't believe it so I researched it and the tcbg was "spot on"

cummings66
11-25-2008, 17:12
I'd love to know what you're doing upside down in a barrel, with Internet access to boot. Forget the dive computer...

teerlkay
11-25-2008, 19:25
I'd love to know what you're doing upside down in a barrel, with Internet access to boot. Forget the dive computer...

just browsing

navyhmc
11-25-2008, 19:47

just browsing

Too funnny!!!!:smilie39::smilie39::smilie39::smilie40:

teerlkay
11-25-2008, 21:00

Development and validation of no-stop decompression procedures for recreational diving: the DSAT recreational dive planner. (http://archive****bicon-foundation.org/4228)

dude,
it's 76mb - care to summarize?

texdiveguy
11-25-2008, 21:40
My choices are:
Buhlmann’s ZH-L16
VPM

teerlkay
11-25-2008, 22:08
Similar wording is in most (usually page 70 something) Oceanic manuals:
Oceanic's algorithm is based on Haldane's theroy using maximum allowable nitrogen levels developed by Merrill Spencer. Repetitive diving control is based upon experiments designed and conducted by Dr Rogers and Dr. Powell in 1987. Diving Science and Technology (DSAT), a corporate affiliate of PADI, commissioned these experiments

It's their safety and reference manual that states:
"The decompression model used by an Oceanic dive computer is based on the no decompression multilevel repetitive schedules successfully tested by Dr. Ray Rogers and Dr. Michael Powell. These tests did not include repetitive dives deeper than 90 feet (27 meters) or decompression dives."

DMWiz
11-26-2008, 05:26

dude,

Had you started the download when you posted this you'd be done by now!:D

Are you on dial-up?
Come on man!

Wiz

teerlkay
11-26-2008, 07:03

dude,

Had you started the download when you posted this you'd be done by now!:D

Are you on dial-up?
Come on man!

Wiz
-------------------------

The idea is you post the parts of that download that pertain to this thread?

cummings66
11-26-2008, 11:30
Are you on dial-up?

No, he's upside down in a barrel, get real. I bet it'd just fall out if he downloaded it in that position.

teerlkay
11-26-2008, 11:36
Are you on dial-up?

No, he's upside down in a barrel, get real. I bet it'd just fall out if he downloaded it in that position.

quite true - all the bits would fall out of the barrel