PDA

View Full Version : I got my solo card!

navyhmc
11-25-2008, 15:04
Completed the TDI Solo course yesterday. Kind of a bummer as my buddy was going to take it too but he got sick so he wasn't able to make it. Damnned Flu bug!

The class itself was pretty good. The instructor didn't just go over the book, rather he added a lot of good information that made all the difference. The skills were surprisingly easy for me. I guess all these years of diving paid off. The biggest thing that the instructor wanted to see was how comfortable I was in the water doing the skills.

The hardest skill to do was the no-mask swim. The swim itself was no biggie, but the cold water was a bit of a shock and trying to keep my eyes open was fun. But all in all. I am glad I took the course as it added some additional planning skills to my tool box.

CWSWine
11-25-2008, 15:23
Let me be first to say Congrats!!!!

fire diver
11-25-2008, 15:54
hey, lets all get our solo cards, then go diving together. LOL

texdiveguy
11-25-2008, 16:03
Congrats on completing the course!

MSilvia
11-25-2008, 16:06
Congrats!

navyhmc
11-25-2008, 16:34
hey, lets all get our solo cards, then go diving together. LOL

:smilie39:

Well the book did say that solo divers make better buddies... :smiley36::smilie39:

cummings66
11-25-2008, 18:55
Tell me about your no mask swim? How far? What did you have to do without the mask on?

Congrats by the way.

imasinker
11-25-2008, 18:56
Congrats! Sounds interesting, what other skills did you have to do, and what are your certification levels before you went solo?

Dark Wolf
11-25-2008, 19:31
Congrats hmc!!!

DW

navyhmc
11-25-2008, 19:38
Tell me about your no mask swim? How far? What did you have to do without the mask on?

Congrats by the way.

All I had to do on the no mask was to swim about 50' around the platform trying to maintain a level swim. The biggest part of this was to ensure that I wouldn't panic and could function without the mask on. I even tried to look at my computer and my compass during this and it was a definite "not going to happen".

Congrats! Sounds interesting, what other skills did you have to do, and what are your certification levels before you went solo?

The skills test started with a full gear 200 yard surface swim. then down to a brescrided depth. After at depth, I had to do a SAC/RMV swim at a constant depth for 100' for time and gas consumption, a compass course of varying lengths, the mask loss drill, a loss of primary gas system (i.e. your first stage froze up, you blew an o-ring or whatever) and you had to switch to your redundant gas system which in my case was a pony bottle. Also did a runaway BC inflator which meant you had to dump air and disconnect your inflator hose. I had to shoot a bag without losing my spool or going up with the bag, show I could ascend at 30'/min and do a safety stop for 3 min. While not part of the skills, I did a at depth swim using the SMB as a my primary bouyancy source and "reeled myself up as if I had a complete BC failure.

If you are going to take the solo, I recommend getting and reading the book ahead of time and if you can, do a SAC test at home where you either wear a mask or get a nose pinch and just breath off a tank for 10-30 minutes to find your sac rate. It will definitely help to has this beforeyou start the class work.

My certs before hand were: YMCA open water, PADI open water, Night Diver, Enriched air and 34 years of diving. Before you can take the course you have to have at least 100 logged dives. My insrtuctor told me that one of the biggest things he wanted to see in the wate was how comfortable I was as the biggest key is not panicing when things go wrong.

cgvmer
11-25-2008, 20:35
Sounds like this course should go hand in hand with rescue as must haves for skills

navyhmc
11-25-2008, 20:39
I agree.

texdiveguy
11-25-2008, 21:56
Like I said....congrats on the class!

??- now that you have the class behind you and as you indicated it went pretty easy and sounded like for your level of experience it was allot of review with just a few new items....#1. to this point had you never/rarely conducted solo dives, and #2. what are your plans for the use of the cert. card now that you have it....?

navyhmc
12-24-2008, 12:13
Like I said....congrats on the class!

??- now that you have the class behind you and as you indicated it went pretty easy and sounded like for your level of experience it was allot of review with just a few new items....#1. to this point had you never/rarely conducted solo dives, and #2. what are your plans for the use of the cert. card now that you have it....?

Didn't see your response/questions TDG, sorry.

1. I have done a number of solo dives before this in areas I was very comfortable in and knew the danger areas well, minimal thought they were.

2. A number of places I dive-Oronogo to name one-havea buddy requirement unless you have a solo card. A few times my buddy has not made the trip so the solo will allow me to continue my dive day(s). Also I am looking at a few ocean trips and don't want to have to triple up if there's an odd number of divers and definitely don't want to be in the DM's hip pocket for the dive.

Italianprincess
12-24-2008, 12:33
Sounds like an interesting course. I myself want to take rescue diver still! Maybe this spring!

navyhmc
12-24-2008, 18:58
Sounds like an interesting course. I myself want to take rescue diver still! Maybe this spring!

I thought the course was very good. Even if you never solo dive, it definitely gives you another skill set in your tool box so to speak. It will only improve you as a diver. Buddies are a good thing, but self-reliance is also good.

david_57
12-24-2008, 22:45
Also a stepping stone to technical diving if you decide to go that route, my wife and I took the course as a backup to the buddy system really enjoyed this course feel lost without my Luxfer 40 cuft pony so always dive with it.

tndiverdude
12-28-2008, 21:10
Any chance on getting a link to the book or the certifying agency? This seems like a perfect fit for me since I prefer solo work.

jimmy

ektess1
12-28-2008, 22:40
Be sure to check the dive op that you are going to dive with. Some accept the card and some don't. My usual doesn't care about the card. It is not ' industry standard'.
Check before you book.

navyhmc
12-29-2008, 01:37
Good point ektess1. I know that MV Fling ans MV Spree will as well as the Nekkton cruises as they mention the solo card in their literature. But there are a lot of charters that won't from what I am hearing. I can't give any by name, but friends have mentioned that some won't.

BTW, does that mean your usual doesn't allow solo?

ektess1
12-29-2008, 09:02
BTW, does that mean your usual doesn't allow solo?

That is correct. It is never going to happen with this charter.
I asked about it. I prefer going solo.
I was told flat out, no ifs, ands, or buts, that if I wanted to solo to find another boat.
I use this boat because they go to wrecks that I haven't done to often. Also, they run a first class operation.
I solo off other boats.