PDA

View Full Version : DP Review of Canon G10

teerlkay
11-25-2008, 15:16
While they liked the package they were not impressed with image quality and they ding Canon for continuing the megapixel race (14.7!).

I like the 28mm wide(ish) angle lens and shooting RAW out of the box (no more CHDK hack!) but I wouldn't pay close to MSRP for it (500 USD)

Also the canon U/W case is not round - meaning hard to get a wet lens to attach
Canon PowerShot G10 Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canong10/)

DevilDiver
11-25-2008, 16:36
I have shot the G9 but have not had the opportunity to use the G10 yet. The points brought up in the review are all valid but the G series from Canon are still some of the best point and shoots on the market.

The improved 5X (28mm) wide angle and the 3" 461K LCD are a big plus for me as well as the dedicated exposure and ISO dials. This camera boast 0.7fps (improvement over the G9) continuous shooting and retains the 1cm focus from the G9. I believe this camera supports TTL through the hot shoe as well.

I totally agree that added megapixels are not a benefit until they can either develop a more efficient sensor find some room to add a larger one where the extra megapixels would make a true difference.

There are only a handful of cameras on the market that fall into the same sub-category and usually they end up getting compared the the budget DSLR instead of other compacts.

As far as the price, it is a little high but it is the same as the G9 when it was released. You could purchase a DSLR body for just a little more but then you have to start the wonderful collection of lenses and if you want to go U/W you got the housing and ports to consider.

** If anyone was to purchase this camera, there is no way I would put this in a Canon housing. (IMO) I know it is expensive but I would be waiting for the Patima when it comes out.

If you have not looked at this housing yet, here is the one for the G9.
(Patima PDCH-G9 for Canon G9 [pat.pdch-g9] - $999.00 : Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros (http://reefphoto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&manufacturers_id=55&products_id=2873))