PDA

View Full Version : Best personal printer for photographs

teerlkay
11-25-2008, 19:35
I am using a Canon Pixma IP3000 and it does a darn good job but I am thinking it might be time for new printer.

What's everybody use these days? My number one priority is photo quality.

DevilDiver
01-28-2009, 10:07
I wish I had an answer to this. I have always had my prints processed at a shop (closed down recently) because of the outstanding quality.

A photo printer is moving up my list of items that I want and I have never looked into them in detail.

I would be interested in any opinions or reviews (pro & cons) that anyone had....

Thanks!!!

CompuDude
01-28-2009, 13:58
Best printer for quality of photos is one of the Epson Stylus Photo "R" series printers, with 8 colors of ink, preferably the UltraChrome K3 pigment-based ink. Fantastic quality. Not cheap to feed, though.

Personally, I really hate inkjets unless there is a real specific need to have one and incur the ongoing expense of care and feeding. I have a color laser that suffices for 95% of my needs, and I use photo processing places (let them take the hit on care and feeding) for genuine photograph output needs. They get to spend the money on expensive ink, paper and hardware. And inkjets that don't get used often (since the vast majority of general printing needs are met better with a color laser) dry up, and then the cost per print goes through the roof. Last time I spent $60 on ink cartridges because I needed to print 10 photos and I hadn't used my printer in 4 months and ink had dried up, I kinda swore them off. Not to mention the need to tweak output and spend time getting everything just right. I'd rather pay someone $2 per print (if not more like $0.10-0.50 per print), at a cost of $20, than have to deal with the hassle (and $60 refill cost) of maintaining my own printer.

At the advertising agency I worked at, we had large format Epsons like the R1900 (http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/consumer/consDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=63073901) and R2880 (http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/consumer/consDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=63075040) to print color-accurate proofs for clients with deep pockets. That made sense, and they were running 2 hours per day, the cost was passed on to the clients, and the system was 100% dialed in due to frequent use. Fantastic output. I know pro photographers who make their own archival prints with similar systems. At home, though, for me, it's just not the same.

I put most of my photos online, however, and occasionally put together a photobook using an online service or iPhoto. So my need for actual 4x6 prints (or whatever) is pretty minimal. The occasional one-off can be done at Costco for 14 cents, if color perfection is not critical. It's just not worth the hassle anymore, since color lasers are so cheap now.

rawalker
01-28-2009, 14:21
I'd agree with Compudude on the Epson "R" series but for personal use suggest the R1400 it is a large format printer on a budget. This will allow you to blow up the shots to 13"x19" for the impact and detail that a 8"x10" just can't express.
This printer is still a capable unit for everyday needs.
I'm using up my supply of catridges for my Epson Photo 750 and Stylus 1520 and moving on to the R1400 myself.

ektess1
01-28-2009, 16:12
It is not cost effective to print at home. Find a good shop and let them do it. Easier and cheaper.

Cheddarchick
01-28-2009, 18:48
I have HP d7250 photo printer. I like the fact each ink color has a separate cartridge, so you only replace the color you are out of. It does a really nice job and I hooked it up to a bluetooth so I can sit in the LR and send print jobs to the printer from my laptop. They are under $100....

chicken
01-28-2009, 19:03
I use a HP C6180 all in one. It has a separate photo paper tray, fax, print, and wireless. I can print from any room in the house! The quality is very good and it also has the six different color cartridges. The printer itself is cheap (about $200) but the print cartridges can get expensive.

CompuDude
01-28-2009, 19:28
I use a HP C6180 all in one. It has a separate photo paper tray, fax, print, and wireless. I can print from any room in the house! The quality is very good and it also has the six different color cartridges. The printer itself is cheap (about $200) but the print cartridges can get expensive.

And how many prints could you purchase from a photo processor, which are made with fantastic printers, for the cost of one ink change? What is the cost per print? Many inkjets, the cost per print is close to $2, once ink and paper costs are figured in, and that assumes you are able to use the whole cartridge. If you don't print much and have to run cleaning cycles periodically, you are wasting something like 10% of the ink cartridges each time. It all adds up.

A cheap laser (preferably color, they're under $300) and a competent photo processing company saves money in the long run, not to mention hassle, and you end up with better quality.

chicken
01-28-2009, 20:01
I buy the HP paper/cartridge pack with 150 high gloss blanks and five color ink cartridges to print all 150 page of photos for $22 at Best Buy. With my public school math skills that works out to $0.14666666666 per print, not quite $2.

Suther2136
01-31-2009, 16:09
I am using a Canon Pixma IP3000 and it does a darn good job but I am thinking it might be time for new printer.

What's everybody use these days? My number one priority is photo quality.

At the cost of ink and paper the best printer is SAMS or almost any other website print service.

CompuDude
02-02-2009, 14:10
I buy the HP paper/cartridge pack with 150 high gloss blanks and five color ink cartridges to print all 150 page of photos for $22 at Best Buy. With my public school math skills that works out to $0.14666666666 per print, not quite $2.

If you're actually getting 150 perfect prints out of that, you're doing better than most.

It's still more hassle than I'm interested in, 95% of the time. For that 5% of the time that I wish I had one, I'll suffer through a trip to the photo store.

hooligan
02-02-2009, 19:31
I gave up on printing photos at home long ago... I recently started using AdoramaPix.com to do my printing and the quality is amazing! They will actually have a real person make the color corrections on your pix match their printers. Most places it's all processed automatically, and you don't get that personal touch. They will even let you download their color profiles so you can do the adjustmets yourself in photoshop. I would agree with Compudude, forget the inkjet and use a photolab (Adorama, Costco, Walmart, etc.).

mike_s
02-03-2009, 16:34
It is not cost effective to print at home. Find a good shop and let them do it. Easier and cheaper.

You're right that you can do it at a photo shop cheaper.

but for one or two prints, it's not worth the hassle.

I've got a HP A610 (or something like that) that prints 4x6 and 5x7 prints.

You can buy a paper and ink cartridge with 120 sheets for somewhere around $25 bucks (about 20 or 21 cents per print).

Now you can go to Sams and get them for much cheaper per print if you're printing out all your vacation photos, but when you just need one quick print for something, it's nice not having to drive somewhere.