PDA

View Full Version : S&H Estimate

Sasha_K
08-18-2007, 09:58
Not really a big complaint, but I think it should be filed somewhere. I find everything about this store to be great except for the S&H which almost scared me away - Some $90 and $190 shipping charge to my place. Yes, I saw a note saying the price is likely going to be some 40% of the estimated price. It would be great if that could be fixed so one gets a real number at the end of the order.

Great work guys!!

plot
08-18-2007, 10:03
International shipping is tough. Hopefully ST doesn't use UPS otherwise you'll get hit with high brokerage fee's too directly from UPS.

I'm not sure if fedex or DHL have the same fee's with international shipping...

TAH 73
08-18-2007, 10:21
Sasha, the shipping that scubatoys using usn't regular UPS, unfortunately regular UPS to Canada WOULD be cheaper in the start, but if you have ordered anything to Canada shipped via UPS, the "Brokerage" fee's they use would more than outweigh the savings from regular UPS.
I put "Brokerage" in brackets because I can't see how UPS can charge about a 20-40% of the value of the parcel, in some cases up to hundreds of dollars, for something the postal service does for $5 flat rate.
Scubatoys ships via UPS expedited, which in my case got from Texas to the Barrie Ontario are in less than 1 day, ordered at about 4pm one day, got it the next morning at 8am. UPS Expedited that ST uses is more pricey but includes all the brokerage fees.

I ordered a pair of fins, two pair of wetsuit boots, a snorkel, and a couple of clips and the shipping was ~$60 including all brokerage.
I paid GST/PST when delivered and that was all.
I am sure regular ups would have been about $30, but the value of the parcel would have incurred about $45 in Brokerage fees, for a net cost of $75 plus it would have taken a couple of days more.
For larger dollar items the value in the shipping Scubatoys would become more apparent.
I am looking at an old UPS bill right now, a $466 USD parcel had $59.83 in misc UPS crap fee's, then the taxes were tacked on top, the one thing that peeves me off is they charge GST on Brokerage fees.
In the end Scubatoys was still alot cheaper than my LDS. Fin's that were $75 at ST were $165 at LDS.

Sasha_K
08-18-2007, 10:47
Makes sense, thanks Tah. I guess the 'complaint' is more along the lines of not knowing what's gonna hit ya when you order the item :-) . I look at other sites - i.e. www.leisurepro.com (http://www.leisurepro.com) (and I am not advertising them,just an example), that gives you a firm number for shipping charges ($48 in my case)

I wonder if there are other options available. Our business ships a lot of stuff from US to Canada and we typically use DHL.

Or, is an option to ship it to a friend in the US, and then picking it up later a 'cheaper' option. I am not in a rush -a few days one way or another won't kill me.

plot
08-18-2007, 10:59
Or, is an option to ship it to a friend in the US, and then picking it up later a 'cheaper' option. I am not in a rush -a few days one way or another won't kill me.

that'd be alot cheaper option if you're gonna drive to the friends anyways

NitroWill
08-18-2007, 11:06

that'd be alot cheaper option if you're gonna drive to the friends anyways

Until you factor the cost of gas in there :smiley5:

Sasha_K
08-18-2007, 11:10
Errr..how about a plane ticket :-)

I am thinking of travelling to US anyays, and this would be a bonus. I will try the shipping estimattes to Seattle as opposed to Toronto. :-)

NitroWill
08-18-2007, 11:12
Just make sure you could fit everything in your luggage on the way back then and still be under the maximum weight they require..

Liv7301
08-18-2007, 11:41
The international shipping cost does make me extremely grateful to be domestic right now! Ouch! But then I don't pay shipping because ScubaToys is a half hour down the highway.

ScubaToys Larry
08-18-2007, 12:30
I appreciate you comments and thoughts on this. We get a real good discount from them, but our software can't look at our discount - just the published rates.

In the near future here, as soon as we take care of some server redundancies, this forum, and a few other issues, we are going to address some improvements to our shopping cart system, and shipping corrections was one of the main things we wanted - and better wish list, and links from products into the forum, and more photos and video, and a fifth of scotch....

plot
08-18-2007, 13:55
and a fifth of scotch....

i think this should trump the server redundancy thing

Xspect
08-18-2007, 15:52
I think this is a great board. I cant wait until you get a the bugs worked out

picxie
08-18-2007, 19:07
I'd suggest you email them to find out the exact shipping cost. :)

I am highly impressed over their ability to give you a quote of shipping almost immediately :smiley20:. I live in New Zealand and usually I'd expect to have to wait 2-3 days to hear back regarding accurate postage costs to get things here. But not with ST. I have pretty much gotten a response straight away (ignoring time differences of course!). I've discovered if I'm emailing first thing in the morning, Rick is usually at the other end of the machine and always provides very prompt responses - I can have my answers before I leave for work!

Great job - very, very impressed :smiley32:

spotteddog
08-18-2007, 19:49
YES....some jonnie walker....pick your label

Vercingetorix
08-19-2007, 18:57
YES....some jonnie walker....pick your labelBlue...only Blue. Black, if you must.

AggieDad
08-19-2007, 21:53
Come on guys. The more you ship, the more I can buy. :smiley32: Larry will get the money anyway.

By my avatar you probably can't tell which package company I work for...it's not purple.

Krakenn
08-20-2007, 23:36
I have always asked the guys not to proceed with an order until they (ST) give me a firm postage rate to Aus. They have always accommodated and got back to me within a day.

It is a weakness for ST I agree as i spent alot of $ with LP b4 I got to know and trust these guys.

Kraks

TxScubaBear
08-21-2007, 06:40
YES....some jonnie walker....pick your labelBlue...only Blue. Black, if you must.

No Red???

Sasha_K
08-21-2007, 09:15
Maybe that's their customer retention policy - have something broken on site, and then just be really quick to respond to customer questions about shipping...lol...just kidding, of course.

I am happy changes are coming down the pipe and that the s&h estimate will be available. Personally, I would rather have these guys spend time answering SCUBA questions, not S&H questions - I learned a lot on this forum and will continue to be here.

Cheers

shanenurse
08-25-2007, 21:25
Could we get tracking numbers too?

greyzen
08-25-2007, 21:29
When I ordered I got tracking numbers....I think...

picxie
08-26-2007, 00:04
Could we get tracking numbers too?

We do - or at least for international shipping I know they provide a tracking number. I can see exactly which city and country my parcel is in, and why it's being held up somewhere.

shanenurse
08-27-2007, 11:54
It might be that I do most of my orders by phone, and dont think to ask for them. *blush* my fault.

greyzen
08-27-2007, 15:30
It might be that I do most of my orders by phone, and dont think to ask for them. *blush* my fault.

And you thought ST wasn't perfect?! HA!

You should be ashamed!:smiley2:

diver james
09-19-2007, 10:46
The international shipping cost does make me extremely grateful to be domestic right now! Ouch! But then I don't pay shipping because ScubaToys is a half hour down the highway.
show off:smiley19: I want to be that close

Reg
09-22-2007, 20:29
I appreciate you comments and thoughts on this. We get a real good discount from them, but our software can't look at our discount - just the published rates.

In the near future here, as soon as we take care of some server redundancies, this forum, and a few other issues, we are going to address some improvements to our shopping cart system, and shipping corrections was one of the main things we wanted - and better wish list, and links from products into the forum, and more photos and video, and a fifth of scotch....

The improvement in International Shipping Quotations I think would greatly benefit ScubaToys exposure to the Australian market.

If possible I'd also like to have more choices for international shipping, particullly with smaller items. I'd be happy wait 5-10days delivery on some items to avoid the high shipping costs.

I'm glad to hear you are planning improvement to the site in these areas.

ScubaToys Larry
09-22-2007, 20:33
The improvement in International Shipping Quotations I think would greatly benefit ScubaToys exposure to the Australian market.

If possible I'd also like to have more choices for international shipping, particullly with smaller items. I'd be happy wait 5-10days delivery on some items to avoid the high shipping costs.

I'm glad to hear you are planning improvement to the site in these areas.

I agree.. and thanks for your input. In the mean time, if you are ever wanting something, it does not bother us at all to respond to emails or PM's with a shipping quote for you. And we've looked at other methods - but in all honesty, with our UPS rate - it ends up being virtually the same as the slow postal rates - and it's there in about 2 days! And DHL, Fedex etc are much higher than our UPS discounts.

zahgurim
09-22-2007, 23:15
Yeah, but UPS charges a crazy brokerage fee that eats up any discounts anyway.
I think they are going through a class-action lawsuit in Canada because of the illegal brokerage charges they always try to claim.

Bill22
09-23-2007, 10:04

That's good to hear. My stuff of course has to come USPS because it's an FPO address. Usually it's one to two weeks to Japan. I did have one order take just over a month once (not scuba equipment). It would be nice to know how much the shipping is going to be when I make the order.

One other company that I did some business with in the past gave free UPS shipping for orders over $35 in the US. I asked for free shipping and received it, but it was on a per order basis. It's actually a wash with Scuba Toys. I'm getting 10% for being a board member and my shipping is less than that, so I'm still ahead.

I'm also happy to see that there are some improvments slated for the wish list. I use that featured quite a bit and it's a little aggravating to have to put in my email and password every time I want to add something during the same visit or to just look at it ;-)

What kind of scotch Larry? ;-)