PDA

View Full Version : Your equipment manuals

deepdiver47
08-18-2007, 10:58
Alot of us have had equipment for years. Initially we educated ourselves and then began to use our equipment.
Did you ever by chance years later happen to re-read your manual and say "I didn't know that" or "I forgot about that".
It happened to me recently with the adjustments on my reg

Be honest here guys...

plot
08-18-2007, 11:06
Nope, i've never re-read an equipment manual. ;)

I do need to start collecting PDF's of them all though to keep them electronically so they are there if I need them... hrm.

unclepooty
08-18-2007, 11:51
Not on scuba gear, I'm to new at it, but on other things yes. i.e. cell phone, stereo in truck, appliances, etc.

NitroWill
08-18-2007, 12:14
Occasionally that will happen - or ill be messing with something and I realize something I never realizes - even if I have had the product for years :smiley36:

I file all my manuals away in a binder..and if I can - I download and save the digital version to my hard drive :smiley20:

ScubaToys Larry
08-18-2007, 12:25
manuel... isn't that a divemaster in Cozumel?

Cichlid
08-18-2007, 12:27
What are these "manuals" you speak of? :smiley2:

Centerius
08-18-2007, 14:50
I reread my manual for my reg the other day and I noticed it says to turn my adjustment knob to least resistance so it releases the spring pressure and makes the reg last longer. Now I know...

awap
08-18-2007, 15:28
You bet. I finally took my dta plus into deco. After the dive I had to get out the manual and review the info it was giving me.

Shame on me for going into deco without fully understanding my computer output?? Not really. I was not in deco but the computer was. I was on nitrox with one computer while a 2nd computer on air went into deco. I just needed to see it. I was somewhat surprised at how slowly the deco obligation accumulated at 80 ft. We stayed in the 70 to 80 ft range for another 3 to 5 minutes and pick up a max of :02 minutes deco at 10 ft. I was also surprised to see the NDL time go to :01 minute and then to :00 minutes without ever filling the last bar in the caution zone. At least I didn't notice it, but it may have filled for a few seconds before it hit deco. I wanted to take it a bit further in but the NO2 computer was approaching the caution zone so we headed up slowly. The deco obligation worked itself out in the next 5 minutes as we stopped at 30 ft.

Xspect
08-18-2007, 16:27
Hmm... funny my LDS never give me manuals but ST always does.

deepdiver47
08-18-2007, 17:08

Larry, you are setting a bad example, shame on you!:smiley21:

tedtim
08-18-2007, 17:29
Read the manual. Isn't that like asking for directions when you may be lost?

My wife won a new mask at a treasure hunt dive recently. It came with a manual. Even she did not read it .

ScubaToys Larry
08-18-2007, 17:38

Larry, you are setting a bad example, shame on you!:smiley21:

I tell people "No one is useless in life... you can always serve as a bad example!":smiley2:

Actually, on all the gear, I have the reps walk me through all the features and functions so I know it normally pretty good without cracking the manual. Except for the snorkels... those I always read cover to cover. :smiley20:

MxDiver
08-18-2007, 17:41
I forgot how to change my computer from Air to Nitrox once, had to go back and read the manual, good think is I was just showing it to a friend and not in an actual dive.

techgnostic
08-18-2007, 17:41
I ran across a torrent of reg service manuals online: about 15 different manufacturers, in case anyone is unable to find one. If there is a file repository on the forum, I can put it there.

ScubaToys Larry
08-18-2007, 17:45
If you want to send them to me... I'll host them up and put a link to them off our main site, and this forum... Perhaps a sticky in the "how do you fix this" section.

techgnostic
08-18-2007, 17:53
If you want to send them to me... I'll host them up and put a link to them off our main site, and this forum... Perhaps a sticky in the "how do you fix this" section.

Emailing them to you right now, Along with a great ear clearing doc you may have run across before.

deepdiver47
08-18-2007, 20:46

Emailing them to you right now, Along with a great ear clearing doc you may have run across before.

you see I am worth something, a whole new way to get our manuals!

Phestr
08-18-2007, 21:39
I go over my manuals everytime I have a large break in the diving. But I dive with newbies on a regular basis, and the better I know my gear, the more I can concentrate on them.

Buoyant1
08-18-2007, 22:59
heck....I usually start hitting buttons, and hope for the best!

Sorry..actually I came from the world of musicians, and specifically recording technology, and we can't survive without reading a manual! EVERYTHING has a manual, with too many pages to it!

When I took up diving, I found it to be the same! and if something bugs me, I pull it and look it up!
.pdf's are my friend! hahaha!