PDA

View Full Version : Compass

Jaymeany
08-18-2007, 11:44
Are there any really good compasses out there or is a compass just a compass? I am getting the Tusa SCA-343 Console but I didn't know if there was a better compass. Just a question thanks.

DivingsInMyBlood
08-18-2007, 11:47
I too wouldnt mind watching this thread a bit to find out more about compasses.

Jaymeany
08-18-2007, 12:00
Oh yeah forgot a question. Would any jewelry get in the way of teh readings. If so what metals?

thor
08-18-2007, 19:59
I will start and I am sure others will agree.

Suunto Sk-7. the only real choice

ScubaToys Larry
08-18-2007, 20:26
I use the aeris... I've used the Tusa, and the suunto's... I found my way back with all of them. I don't find that much difference. To me - it's just a compass, and in reality, I hardly ever use the thing other than to get a general idea of where to go. If I'm diving the west wall of cayman - it's nice to know which way is east. And I never miss... but it's kinda' a big island!

Xspect
08-18-2007, 20:56
is the console better than the wrist ?

ScubaToys Larry
08-18-2007, 20:59
I prefer consoles over all to wrist... for computers, and compasses... Unless I use my air integrated wrist.. that's pretty cool - but sometimes, even then, I put it on a retractor.

I just can't stand things on my wrist. Gets camera lanyards hung up... gets stuck when taking on and off wetsuits, gets scratched up if I'm reaching into a rock to tickle out a fish for a shot.... Just don't like wrist stuff period.

NitroWill
08-18-2007, 21:00
is the console better than the wrist ?

It is all personal preference..Theres people that swear by both ways..Best thing to do is try each way out for a couple dives and see which you like better - thats the only true way for you to know :smiley20:

Centerius
08-18-2007, 21:07
I prefer the Suunto SK-7 with DeepSeaSupply bungee mount.

Phestr
08-18-2007, 21:16
I use the compass on the Oceanic Swiv. I agree with Larry, a compass is a compass, as long as it works. As for placement, most of my crew prefer the console or retractor mount, as it's not something you will use constantly on most dives. None of us ever dive without it, though.

DivingsInMyBlood
08-18-2007, 21:57
So if for example you choose a wrist mounted comp and a wrist mounted compass would it be more proper to have the comp on the right wrist so your left hand is freed up for the inflator hose for the bcd?

Coaster
08-18-2007, 22:10
I will start and I am sure others will agree.

Suunto Sk-7. the only real choice
SK-7 if you need/want to be accurate on your bearing lines....otherwise they all will help you find a direction.... such as east/shoreline.

MxDiver
08-18-2007, 22:14
Get one of these, and get extra mountings options (i.e. wrist and hose) and you can put it any place you want.
http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=CompassAtta

PlatypusMan
08-18-2007, 22:19
Oh yeah forgot a question. Would any jewelry get in the way of teh readings. If so what metals?

Any ferrous metal (iron, stainless steel) can throw a compass off if too close or present in great enough quantity. While there are stainless steel rings you can wear as jewelry, you shouldn't be wearing jewelry while diving anyway.

subsur
08-19-2007, 07:32
tyhe best compass for diving out there is Suunto SK7. you can get it as a part of a console or as a wrist model. there is a company that makes custom housing for SK7. i did not read the rules of this firum, so i won't mention any manufacturers by name, since this site if store associated and there might be conflict of interest. in any case, go with Suunto SK7.

cummings66
08-19-2007, 08:09
While there are stainless steel rings you can wear as jewelry, you shouldn't be wearing jewelry while diving anyway.

Really, you mean I shouldn't wear my wedding ring? I can see that if I was bare handed, with compression and all you might lose it but with a glove on I don't see the danger in it.

To at least have content in line with the thread I'd say the Suunto SK7 is fine.

Xspect
08-19-2007, 09:49
HEY !!! its says larry like the wrist version !!!

Is he pulling an Al Gore on me ?

Get one of these, and get extra mountings options (i.e. wrist and hose) and you can put it any place you want.
http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=CompassAtta

medic001918
08-19-2007, 12:11
I prefer the Suunto SK-7 with DeepSeaSupply bungee mount.

Another vote for the very same set up.

Shane

finflippers
08-19-2007, 12:24
I have always used a Console compass but I have been planning to switch to a wrist mount I think it will be better suited for my diving since I dive in low to no vis. most of the time, compass checks are a constant thing

Jaymeany
08-19-2007, 13:34
could the sk-7 replace the tusa compass in the tusa console?

eric4435
08-27-2007, 18:07
I was practicing compass navigation for my IANTD open water course today. The instructor had me go in one direction for a couple hundred feet and find my way back to the ascent line with the compass. Seemed easy enough, just make sure that you are going in the direction of the lubber line and use the bezel to find you heading and stick to it, just reverse the heading to find your way back. Well, there was the very smallest of currents, and I did get lost. After my instructor brought me back to the ascent line I realized that your compass is only as helpful as you are at using it. Basically, if you don't know how to use one, focus on learning how to use one before springing for the best model.