PDA

View Full Version : high pressure hose for wireless transmitter

dludwig
11-28-2008, 18:22
I often lose connection between my Aeris Elite computer & it's wireless transmitter. Someone on this board suggested adding a hose that would bring the transmitter closer to the computer. I am finally getting around to trying the suggestion but am wondering where to get the correct end so that the transmitter will seal & not leak air. Anyone have such a setup ?

Dennis

plot
11-28-2008, 19:38
what regulator? most first stage high pressure hoses use a 7/16-inch male connection to the first stage, and a 7/16-inch female connection to the spg. a few oddball regs use 3/8 inch or something. since the aeries screws in just fine, i'm going to assume it's a 7/16-inch connection...

so i'm guessing what you need is a standard 7/16-inch high pressure hose. if you have one laying around, trying screwing your transmitter into it.

Looks like scubatoys carries 6inch and 24inch HP hoses. for reference, alot of people put their octo on a 24inch hose and it's enough to go from the first stage to just below their mouth without alot of slack... so if you want to mount it on your chest or upper harness or something, i'd go with the 24 inch.

more importantly, i'd call aeries and ask why your transmitter isn't trasmitting from your first stage to your dive computer... they dont have alot of range, but it should be more than that.

Daz
11-28-2008, 21:26
more importantly, i'd call aeries and ask why your transmitter isn't trasmitting from your first stage to your dive computer... they dont have alot of range, but it should be more than that.
I second this. I've been diving Uwatec hoseless computers f(3 different ones) for years now (ever since the Air X) and have never had a connection/pairing issue. What you're describing is not normal, or at least shouldn't be (I've never used an Aeris).

navyhmc
11-28-2008, 21:37
For starters, is your transmitter in the proper location on your first stage?

Yes, I believe that you could put the transmitter on a short hose, but there would be problems with that set up as well:

1. The female fitting on a HP hose is not compatable with the male fitting on your transmitter. You would need an adapter to do that. Luckily, Scuba Toys has what you need with a button guage they sell-
Highland Mini Tech Pony Gauge reviews and discounts, XS Scuba (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=highlandminitechgauge)

2. I do believe that addind the transmitter to a length of hose makes an extra fail point and if not totally and properly secured, would lend itself to being damaged easier.

As plot said, I would call up Aeries and get some technical support first and make sure it's set up correctly on your rig.

DMWiz
11-28-2008, 22:02
Isn't the point of a wireless transmitter to reduce the number of hoses?

Not to offend you, but you may be going the wrong way about this. If you're having issues with the connection, have the transmitter and computer checked out. And don't accept "it's fine!" for an answer if you can duplicate the problem on land it should be enough evidence that it's NOT fine!

Wiz

pir8
11-29-2008, 06:53
I added a very short hose to my SUUNTO transmitter but only because it wouldn't fit on my Posiden reg with the other hoses.

cummings66
11-29-2008, 08:46
Some people add a hose so that if you hit something you don't break it off and end up with a HP leak. That example would be one of preventing a problem before it happens.

tc_rain
11-29-2008, 08:56
There have been a lot of these units sold, in fact I have one, and this is the first I have heard of a problem like this. All wireless units will lose the connection on occassions, more so if you are running a DPV but they should re-establish theirselves shortly. If your link fails a lot I would think you should have your transmitter looked at. You should not have to add a hose. Contact Aeris, their customer service has always been helpful.