PDA

View Full Version : long term storage

indatexas
11-29-2008, 19:53
Any tips on placing equipment into storage for a year or so?

FishFood
11-29-2008, 20:27
Oil your dive tool.

Make sure your BC is emtpied of water.

If your last dive was in salt water, be sure your gear is thoroughly cleaned. Don't leave any salt crystals... PERIOD.

imasinker
11-29-2008, 20:46
Any tips on placing equipment into storage for a year or so?

Sorry to hear you have to store it that long.

I would say make sure it is all clean and dry inside and out. If possible use a perferated case or box to allow your stuff to breath so no mold or mildew can develop. Get some moisture muncher pouches and place throughout the case. Keep your regs in a case alone, mask and so forth. Try and keep the equipment in a cool dry place out of direct sunlight and free of the nasty mice and bugs. Sometimes when I have to store things for a long period of time I put bounce sheets in the bootom of the box or case to help keep the freshness. You can always look up your products online for storage tips as well.

Hope this helped any..

cummings66
11-30-2008, 08:56
Keep it out of areas that have ozone, motors, ionizers, etc. Make sure it's in the shade, for a scuba cylinder drain it to about 100 psi so that if there's a fire it won't explode, or store it completely full so the plug blows. Nearly empty, or completely full are the only two ways to store a cylinder.

Overhaul your reg when you return to diving, but do not hang them by the hoses.

imasinker
11-30-2008, 11:15
Way off topic but!

Cummings66...Is that a latex hood your wearing in that pic? been meaning to ask you that.

cummings66
11-30-2008, 13:03
Yes, it's an attached Latex dryhood. Viking drysuits come standard with them, and IMO I wouldn't dive a drysuit without a dryhood. It's very nice.