PDA

View Full Version : Birth control in other countries

ccoceangirl
11-30-2008, 00:43
I know this is kind of weird to be asking but I am having trouble finding any true information on the subject.

My husband and I are moving to Utila for our IDC in February and I have been looking into birth control options. One of the last thing I want is to have to worry about getting pregnant while training and having fun touring other countries. I was looking into getting Mirana but it looks like it is going to be a lot more than I was expecting. Our insurance isn't going to cover it so it's going to be $600(us) and that seems a little steep to me. Anyways, my question is. How easy is it to get birth control there, and does anyone have any suggestions for me.

Normally this wouldn't be an issue but we will be living in Utila for a while so I was looking into something long term, but not permanent. We are thinking of touring the dive world for a few years.

Lulubelle
11-30-2008, 00:53
I know this is kind of weird to be asking but I am having trouble finding any true information on the subject.

My husband and I are moving to Utila for our IDC in February and I have been looking into birth control options. One of the last thing I want is to have to worry about getting pregnant while training and having fun touring other countries. I was looking into getting Mirana but it looks like it is going to be a lot more than I was expecting. Our insurance isn't going to cover it so it's going to be $600(us) and that seems a little steep to me. Anyways, my question is. How easy is it to get birth control there, and does anyone have any suggestions for me.

Normally this wouldn't be an issue but we will be living in Utila for a while so I was looking into something long term, but not permanent. We are thinking of touring the dive world for a few years.

You might want to call Planned Parenthood. They often have the same options (Mirena) at dramatically lower prices than private docs. You would want to have it placed well in advance to make sure you don't have any trouble with it after you depart. Happy travels.

obrules15
11-30-2008, 17:09

I have a Mirena and if someone offered me a million dollars to give it back I wouldn't take it. Mirena offers a bunch of options for payment depending on your situation. The best for you might be the monthly credit card/debit card payment plan. You contact the company directly, they work out the plan with you and then they ship to your Drs office. The other thing is each physician's office will offer it at a different price so you might want to call around. At one point I think my office offered it for $450. Also, if you make less than 13,000/year there is a foundation. It is called the Arch foundation which will give it to you for free. Also, if you have to have a minor surgical procedure such as a D&C it can be placed and billed as surgical supplies and your insurance will pay. I look at it as a great investment even at $600. It is less than $10/mo for the contraception and I haven't paid for monthly "supplies" in three years. If you are looking at being in less than perfect environs it is awesome for that. To me, your situation is more reason to do the Mirena than not. PM me for more info if you want.

James1010
11-30-2008, 17:14
Scubatoys.... You can get any question answered! I love it, sorry I don't know anything about that but good luck on it.

dallasdivergirl
12-01-2008, 09:29
I have to agree with obrules15, I have had this for almost 2 years now and I would not trade it for any form of birth control out there. I was very lucky and my insurance covered most of it. I am highly sensative to the horomone forms of birth control and this has been a true change in my life.

Foo2
12-01-2008, 11:36
I tried the Mirena and wasn't able to keep it. :( When I went to my dr. for a checkup a month after it was placed, I had a lemon sized cyst on my ovary. My doc gave me the option to have it removed or to hope my body would regulate and come back to her office every month to make sure the cyst wasn't getting larger. Ew!!! I decided it wasn't worth it and had it removed. If you are already on some sort of pill, you can check with your insurance company and see if they do prescriptions by mail. Another thing I tried was the Nuva Ring. That wasn't so bad...I just aparantly don't do well with all the hormones. I was a crazy lady for the 3 months I was on that. I know of 2 women that swear by it though.

Good luck!

mitsuguy
12-01-2008, 19:03
I tried the Mirena and wasn't able to keep it. :( When I went to my dr. for a checkup a month after it was placed, I had a lemon sized cyst on my ovary. My doc gave me the option to have it removed or to hope my body would regulate and come back to her office every month to make sure the cyst wasn't getting larger. Ew!!! I decided it wasn't worth it and had it removed. If you are already on some sort of pill, you can check with your insurance company and see if they do prescriptions by mail. Another thing I tried was the Nuva Ring. That wasn't so bad...I just aparantly don't do well with all the hormones. I was a crazy lady for the 3 months I was on that. I know of 2 women that swear by it though.

Good luck!

she is currently on the nuva-ring (which has had no ill side effects for a few years), but the biggest thing was availability on a little island in Honduras... wouldn't be a problem going to the mainland once a month, but still question availability with that...

Foo2
12-01-2008, 19:08

Good luck!

she is currently on the nuva-ring (which has had no ill side effects for a few years), but the biggest thing was availability on a little island in Honduras... wouldn't be a problem going to the mainland once a month, but still question availability with that...

Does your insurance company do mail order prescriptions? If so, her doctor can write a prescription for like 6 months and your insurance company will mail them to your doorstep. Definitely worth checking into.

mitsuguy
12-01-2008, 19:10
Does your insurance company do mail order prescriptions? If so, her doctor can write a prescription for like 6 months and your insurance company will mail them to your doorstep. Definitely worth checking into.

After February, she will not have health insurance for a little while, as currently it is through her work... We are going to hold off on different insurance for a little while until we figure out how much extra money we will have with the rest of our travels...

Splitlip
12-01-2008, 22:01
See Ya! I am outa here.

cummings66
12-01-2008, 22:22
My wife and I did the timing thing for a lot of years, 16 of them or so. It's not completely effective and it is possible to conceive while doing that, but with care and condoms you could probably make it until you get somewhere else. Or, buy a LOT of condoms to take with you.

For what it's worth, my wife has Mirena and now likes it. It had problems at first with the string which feels like a steel whisker. But it's softened up over time. I think it's the best option, and there are other versions of this that have no hormones in it too. Might look into them.

oddbod
12-02-2008, 06:28
Abstinance just joking, check out travel insurance instead of health insurance could be a lot cheaper, I have a lot of old relatives that go back to Italy for 12 months +, can't afford health insurance over there, but with a bit of stretching the truth, travel insurance actually covers them better. They also get their prescriptions filled here ( courtesy of our government ) for 12 months and take them with them along with a copy of the paperwork.

obrules15
12-02-2008, 13:35

After February, she will not have health insurance for a little while, as currently it is through her work... We are going to hold off on different insurance for a little while until we figure out how much extra money we will have with the rest of our travels...

In this country it is actually easier to get care/stuff with no insurance than with sucky insurance. So being uninsured might be the answer to your prayers.

Rileybri
12-02-2008, 13:44
according to my wife who is a reproductive health educator (among her many job responsibilities) recommends an IUD. relatively maintenance free, non hormonal andl lasts a long time with out changing. It worked flawlessly for her for the last five years.

Largo
12-02-2008, 14:06
1. After a dive, take the dust cover off of your husband's regulator.

2. Submerge the entire unit, 1st and 2nd stage in water.

3. While submerged, depress the purge button on both 2nd stages.

4. Allow the unit to soak for at least an hour.

5. Draw your spouse's attention to the fact that you made a 'mistake.'

That process should prevent conception for at least 30 days.

Rileybri
12-02-2008, 14:08

:smilie39::smilie39::smiley32::smiley32:

mitsuguy
12-02-2008, 21:09

hey now... that's my reg we're talking about...

Largo
12-02-2008, 21:18
Well, this method of BC might not be right for you, but it's worked for lots of people who needed a little break from the daily grind.

DollFin
12-02-2008, 21:22

Hmmm, but what if she later feels remorse for the afforementioned "mistake", and shows up that night in something from the Vicky's Secret catalog?

Largo
12-02-2008, 21:34
When has that ever happened in reality?

Diver Kat
12-02-2008, 22:49
Hmmm, but what if she later feels remorse for the afforementioned "mistake", and shows up that night in something from the Vicky's Secret catalog?

LOL .... who needs Vicky's catalog?? Show me any guy who can restrain himself for 30 days .... and isn't in a coma!! :smiley36:

ektess1
12-03-2008, 00:41
Why all the excitement. Get fixed. Cheapest and easiest for the man. No more worries.

DollFin
12-03-2008, 01:03

LOL .... who needs Vicky's catalog?? Show me any guy who can restrain himself for 30 days .... and isn't in a coma!! :smiley36:

I know... I just wanted to put the guys into another tailspin by mentioning Vicky's Secret. :smiley36:

BlueC5Kitten
12-03-2008, 10:12
Why all the excitement. Get fixed. Cheapest and easiest for the man. No more worries.

Might want to read the OP's entire posting before you make comments...

Normally this wouldn't be an issue but we will be living in Utila for a while so I was looking into something long term, but not permanent.

Diver Kat
12-03-2008, 13:35

I know... I just wanted to put the guys into another tailspin by mentioning Vicky's Secret. :smiley36: And VERY surprisingly, Splitlip hasn't been by yet asking for pictures .... I'm getting worried!! I'd have thought he'd jumped on this is a flash!!

DollFin
12-03-2008, 13:50

I know... I just wanted to put the guys into another tailspin by mentioning Vicky's Secret. :smiley36: And VERY surprisingly, Splitlip hasn't been by yet asking for pictures .... I'm getting worried!! I'd have thought he'd jumped on this is a flash!!

I think the idea of a woman cleaning a Mossberg while wearing anything from Vicky's Secret would just be too much for him to handle!!:smilie39:

Diver Kat
12-03-2008, 22:56

I think the idea of a woman cleaning a Mossberg while wearing anything from Vicky's Secret would just be too much for him to handle!!:smilie39:

OMG .... you are SO right!! And tonight the guys were all probably glued to the TV as the VS models had their 'Annual Fashion Show' on tonight ...:smiley36:

ccoceangirl
12-05-2008, 00:37
Well, thanks for everyones posts... but I think we finally decided to do the Mirana. I really appreciate everyones input... even the Vicky's Secret one. As for the abstinence... I tried and he said no. I would get him fixed but unfortunately he said he eventually wants kids.... Oh well... That leaves me having to deal with the contraception bs... yay...

I love the way men go I wanna move out of the country and just pack their crap and move... a woman has to consider all this kinda crap... its soooo unfair!!!!

anyway thanks again!

oddbod
12-05-2008, 04:54
quote=Diver Kat;251024]

..[/quote]
Ok I think I'm game,:ttiuwop:

mitsuguy
12-05-2008, 08:14
quote=Diver Kat;251024]

Ok I think I'm game,:ttiuwop:[/quote]

Alright, I'll bite...

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i117/samitsuguy/wedding/Diamondsengagementpicture.jpg

unibrook
12-05-2008, 13:34
Just use an IUD. As a guy, I can tell you that the diaphragms hurt the ole wedding tackle, twig not berries, meat not veg. Kno wha'a mean, love?

And Largo, you crack me up. You must be married to my wife in a parallel universe!