PDA

View Full Version : "Equipment" Care

monant
11-30-2008, 10:03
What's the best way to care for your equipment during the long cold winter?

chicken
11-30-2008, 10:15
Diving in a drysuit

DollFin
11-30-2008, 11:25
Head to a tropical island like I'm doing next week! :D

imasinker
11-30-2008, 11:29
Take it on a trip south and use it....lol..

Wash it up good, make sure it is dry inside and out. Store in a dry cool place free of direct sunlight mice and the nasty bugs. keep your regs in a reg bag with some moisture munchers inside to keep the damp out. If you can get a dedicated closet that would be best and hang everything nicely. Keep your tank full or down to 100 psi. Pack up all your small stuff in a breathable box/case if possible and to keep it all fresh I often put some bounce sheets on the bottom of the storage box.

some idea's for you.....

Take care

texdiveguy
11-30-2008, 11:40
Use it!!!

fisheater
11-30-2008, 11:47
Where do you live?

bsktcase93
11-30-2008, 11:50
Only good way is to use it.

tc_rain
11-30-2008, 11:51
Coil the regs loosely on a shelf. Some of the reg bags are too small and the tight bends are hard on the hoses over a long period of time. You can also buy plugs to cover opening on the second stage and octo.

DMWiz
11-30-2008, 18:40
Shower with your kit on!

:D

JahJahwarrior
11-30-2008, 19:24
....um....why is equipment in quotations in the title? Are you asking about dive gear?

Some of the threads in the man laws forum make me wonder sometimes.

DMWiz
11-30-2008, 20:03
....um....why is equipment in quotations in the title? Are you asking about dive gear?

ROFL...:smilie39::smilie39::smilie39:

Were you expecting Men's "Equipment" questions?

emcbride81
11-30-2008, 23:02
You want to have it "serviced" on a regular basis...you can do it yourself, but that is not the best route. It is best to have someone else do it. You want someone you trust to "service" your "equipment" that is the best and safest way to make sure you don't have any issues. You can pay for a stranger to do it, but that can lead to your "equipment" malfunctioning and needing to be replaced in the future. There are also legal concerns about this as well, make sure to check your local laws about who is allowed to "service" you.

And finally, never ever ever let a member of your family do it.

mrm777
11-30-2008, 23:27
Avoid extreme temperature fluctuations...store your regs and computers indoors...not in the garage for the winter.

Diver Kat
11-30-2008, 23:38
What's the best way to care for your "equipment" during the long cold winter?

Wash it up good, make sure it is dry inside and out.
Use it!!!
You can also buy plugs to cover opening
You want to have it "serviced" on a regular basis...you can do it yourself
Avoid extreme temperature fluctuations:smilie39::smilie39::smilie39::smilie3 9: You guys are SO funny!!

Daz
12-01-2008, 00:41

Some of the threads in the man laws forum make me wonder sometimes. I was thinking the same thing but was waiting for someone else to bring it up.

Two red flags: Quotation marks and Man Laws section.

divergirl
12-02-2008, 18:16
You want to have it "serviced" on a regular basis...you can do it yourself, but that is not the best route. It is best to have someone else do it. You want someone you trust to "service" your "equipment" that is the best and safest way to make sure you don't have any issues. You can pay for a stranger to do it, but that can lead to your "equipment" malfunctioning and needing to be replaced in the future. There are also legal concerns about this as well, make sure to check your local laws about who is allowed to "service" you.

awesome:smilie39:

And my suggestion- keep on using it!

Empacher
12-02-2008, 18:35
should you use silicone to lube the zippers?

imasinker
12-02-2008, 19:16
KY gel works well, long lasting works against friction and if all else fails, will make for an interesting topic when the wife walks in...LMAO.....

seriously tho, Use drysuit zipper wax some manufators also say leave unzipped during storage.

ektess1
12-22-2008, 20:16
The best place to keep your "equipement" is some place warm, wet, and willing.

Axewizard
01-08-2009, 22:08
I always figured that you should use your equipment frequently, myself.

austinhimself
01-15-2009, 20:03
When my equipment isn't going to be used for a while I clean it all out, especially wetsuits, and store everything indoors in a spare closet in the guest bedroom. When it comes back out for the season I inspect everything and test everything out in the pool for piece of mind.

I also like to remove the batteries from all my lights while storing them.

demisvmax
01-16-2009, 14:49
I suppose frequent use won't do any harm but unless you are a DIY/handyman expect that it will cost you more. Literally!

blainer
01-16-2009, 17:35

Too Funny!!!

Ohio_diver16
01-17-2009, 14:07
I can't answer this question. ever since diving became a profession and not a passion I haven't dove recreationally - even once. So my gears' been in, "winter storage" for 2 years now. But atleast I get to work out my commercial dive hat... haha....sarcastic laugh....

Splitlip
01-17-2009, 14:46
My Dad always told me to wash it with alcohol if used in a new or questionable "destination". Of course in those days, the only real concern was a fever sore. He had his docs give me and my friends scripts for antibiotics though to be proactive. :) (Love ya Dad. RIP)

But if you are talking SCUBA equipment, I am very lucky to live where I do. I can dive often.

emt
02-05-2009, 16:50
Use it!!!

Agree. And boat engine too. Sitting & lack of use is probably the worst.
The old saying- Use it or lose it.

mm2002
02-07-2009, 09:36
My Dad always told me to wash it with alcohol if used in a new or questionable "destination". Of course in those days, the only real concern was a fever sore. He had his docs give me and my friends scripts for antibiotics though to be proactive. :) (Love ya Dad. RIP)

But if you are talking SCUBA equipment, I am very lucky to live where I do. I can dive often.

Wow, a Dad that provides "preventive" antibiotics. You were one lucky boy! :smiley36:

chris in the socal
02-10-2009, 17:43
I live in Cali. so it is cold weather diving all year so I just pull it out and get in that 45 degree water. There are many things out there now that wont come out any other time so I have to agree just us it. You never know what your missing till you try it.

BuzzF117
02-10-2009, 17:45

Too Funny!!!

$20 just like downtown?

fanatique
02-11-2009, 19:46

Priceless. :smilie39:

7thcanuck
02-20-2009, 11:12
all my dives are cold water and some of them aren't that bad, so use it and you won't regret it.