PDA

View Full Version : Now I understand why people leave ScubaBoard

Daz
12-01-2008, 00:37
How uptight can you get? (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/advanced-scuba-discussions/262620-100-hour-course-thread.html) (and I don't mean me...)

navyhmc
12-01-2008, 02:19
I have an account on scubaboard, don't remember what it is and don't go there very often for some of those reasons. I would like ot believe I have fairly thick skin and all and minimal ego when it comes to diving. But I have received some fairly rude comments to honest and noncontriversial posts from folks who have far less experience. No, for the most part if I go to SB, I lurk and that's about it.

I enjoy those here at ST a lot more. I have now met about 12 of my fellow members and dove with 8 of them and have enjoyed all their company and dives.

Aquatrax
12-01-2008, 05:40
I joined SB 15 months ago, 2 posts. 1 was a trip report that I promised the dive op I would post and second was to sell a BC.

There is good information there but too much BS.

Information on ST board is great and zero BS.

DMWiz
12-01-2008, 07:00
There is good information there but too much BS.

Information on ST board is great and zero BS.

That's just BS man!!! Just kidding!

I like SB, but mainly because of the South Florida presence is good. The High-Horse attitudes I could live w/o.

Wiz

monant
12-01-2008, 07:08
The posts you refer to have been deleted. What is the summary?

cummings66
12-01-2008, 11:59
Having been on scubaboard for a while now I don't need a summary, I can well imagine what was said. Scubaboard has some nice postings and some take no prisoner attitudes. I don't mind it, but I much prefer being here because there are only a couple people with that kind of attitude and I enjoy that.

I'm a friendly type of guy who doesn't enjoy hostility, if you disagree with me then say why you do. Don't just call me an idiot who's going to die. I like honest discourse and think it's good for learning things. Hit me in the head with a bat first and you'll just get a return on the investment in kind. Doesn't work well, that's why I'm here. Bats are rare.

Byte Me
12-01-2008, 14:34
Totally agree. One of my all time favorites was someone posted about using an alternate air source (air2, octo+, etc) and how buddy breathing would work during an ascent when you have to not only breath but let air out of your BC as well.

I use an octo + so decided to chime in and say that in order to get comfortable doing this you should really practice so you know where the buttons are, etc.

"Those who know what's best for us" divers immediately swarmed in that these Air2's are gimmicks and not serious diving apparatus and only an octo on a necklace is appropriate and you should have a 7' primary wrapped around you blah blah blah blah.

(actual first really helpful post which is all too typical - "Simple solution, lose the alternate air source and replace it with a real octo. Problem solved."

Followed by this equally open minded post:
Originally Posted by Namechanged http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/images/pxnavyblue/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/232420-combined-bc-control-octo-buddy-breathing-2.html#post3539751)
I am sorry it was such a bad idea for you, I find it works quite well for me, and much prefer it to 7ft wrapped all around me and bungied octo around my neck in my diving.

I used to feel the same way you do, fortunately I was able to admit I was wrong.)

Then they proceeded to get personal. That tainted me away from them and SB. Call me crazy but don't I get to decide what approved equipment I want to dive with? Funny thing was shortly after that I took rescue and dove a week in Playa. Both the rescue instructor and my DM in Playa both used Octo+ devices (DM also had a traditional octo). Hmmpf...

When there I try and look for things I need to find out about (dive shops, vacation reviews, trip reports, etc) and rarely post any longer to threads where zealots will flock.

Skuttle
12-01-2008, 14:52
They were one of the first dive boards I came across when I first started diving. Wanted to learn about different topics ect. Was totally turned off by replies made regarding straight forward simple questions. People were very rude.

mike_s
12-01-2008, 15:10
How uptight can you get? (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/advanced-scuba-discussions/262620-100-hour-course-thread.html) (and I don't mean me...)

ok... it appears they edited the thread out and now they've closed it...

what was the deal with it? I mean what was the problem/issue?

Daz
12-01-2008, 17:50
"Cliff Notes":

In response to an ongoing discussion about the alleged "dumbing down" and shortening of OW courses by instructors and the willingness of potential students (or the ignorance of same) to look for and/or accept them, Thalassamania created a thread titled "the 100 Hour Course" (or something similar) with a looooonnnnng post about his class methodology. (if you've spent much time on SB you'll have some idea what it was like)

Anyway, I followed his long post up with a humorous (in my opinion anyway) post stating something along the lines of "I'm not reading all of that - why should I when the guy down the street can tell me all about his class in just a paragraph (and a couple of sentences on the weekend)". Even included a winking smiley to show I wasn't serious. He took offense, deleted the whole thing, started calling names, then created an invite only group so a select few (selected by him - he refused me access because I wouldn't publicly apologize to him). Several people jumped on his "ignore the naysayers" bandwagon and continued the name calling. I called them on it, stated the facts, and received a few PMs from Thalassamania accusing me of refusing to take his offer to apologize to him and that I continued to "denigrate" him. I ended up stating that I could apologize for him not having a sense of humor, but wouldn't and that I was done with the whole thing. That was last night.

Don't know if he went crying to the mods with his (baseless) complaints or if they decided to delete things without his input, but the bottom line is they deleted all but the "rah rah" stuff (it was three pages, now it's just one).

If you really want to see his 100 hour class outline, you can go over there and apply for access.

FishFood
12-01-2008, 17:53
So... You were stirring the pot? :paranoid:

Then gripe about ScubaBoard? :smiliez.de_2125:

Daz
12-01-2008, 20:39
So... You were stirring the pot? :paranoid:
If making a joke = stirring the pot, then yes, I'm guilty of that, but I'm not guilty of belittling the OP of that thread or his ideas with my post despite his accusations (no matter what I may think of him now). As a matter of fact, I had a later post that gave some of my background and told how I used to teach some 80+ hour classroom/pool courses. Of course all evidence of this has since been deleted by an SB Mod.

Then gripe about ScubaBoard? :smiliez.de_2125:
Yup - I'm griping about ScubaBoard, or to be more correct, I'm griping about some of it's members and how they take themselves too seriously.

(now quit hitting me with that sign or I'll be forced to make a joke about something tangentally related...) :smiley2:

Zenagirl
12-01-2008, 20:55
I have to agree that the attitudes and posts of the "holier than thou" and "drink of the koolade" folks gets really old. If you don't think like them, dive like them, configure your gear like them, and don't plan to, you likely won't be respected or accepted. I rarely post on any part of SB except the Zeagle, Hawaii O'hana, and Bonaire threads.

I'll never dive a BP/W (don't like 'em), never do a bungied octo, never have a 7' hose (don't want 'em), and never take "fundies" (don't want to).....and that's okay with me. ;) I'll stick to enjoying being an active member of this board where people respect eachother and the right of everyone to have their own opinions, gear configurations, dive goals, and to be individuals. :D

Splitlip
12-01-2008, 21:25
They have over 100,000 members. 1100 folks are on line at this moment.

You're going to get the bad with the good.

I have come across a couple ass holes here too. It is just a matter of "volume".

I have personaly met dozens of great people from SB. Only met 2 great people from ScubaToys. (all I've met :)) Like I said, a matter of "volume".

Need to accept the bad with the good.

Daz
12-01-2008, 22:04
I have to agree that the attitudes and posts of the "holier than thou" and "drink of the koolade" folks gets really old. If you don't think like them, dive like them, configure your gear like them, and don't plan to, you likely won't be respected or accepted. I rarely post on any part of SB except the Zeagle, Hawaii O'hana, and Bonaire threads.

I'll never dive a BP/W (don't like 'em), never do a bungied octo, never have a 7' hose (don't want 'em), and never take "fundies" (don't want to).....and that's okay with me. ;) I'll stick to enjoying being an active member of this board where people respect eachother and the right of everyone to have their own opinions, gear configurations, dive goals, and to be individuals. :D

I hear ya and agree although I do dive a BP/W and don't think I'll ever change. That said, I also dive split fins and a hoseless AI computer (I will admit to having a B&G SPG on me as well). There's nothing bungeed around my neck and not a 7-foot hose to be seen. I even used to dive with an alternate/octo.

As I've said before, I dive for fun nowadays and I dive a rig that I find comfortable and works for me. I have no problem with people diving whatever rigs they choose - I do however object to being told that my setup is wrong and or unsafe just because it doesn't mirror what some Internet diver thinks or was taught is the best. To each his/her own.

Dive safe, dive fun.

Splitlip
12-01-2008, 22:20

I hear ya and agree although I do dive a BP/W and don't think I'll ever change. That said, I also dive split fins and a hoseless AI computer (I will admit to having a B&G SPG on me as well). There's nothing bungeed around my neck and not a 7-foot hose to be seen. I even used to dive with an alternate/octo.

As I've said before, I dive for fun nowadays and I dive a rig that I find comfortable and works for me. I have no problem with people diving whatever rigs they choose - I do however object to being told that my setup is wrong and or unsafe just because it doesn't mirror what some Internet diver thinks or was taught is the best. To each his/her own.

Dive safe, dive fun.

I dive with a BPW, splits and I have used (still do on occasion) an SS1 alternate. I do not use a 7ft hose. (please see the flames I received here on ST no less. Oh, wait, they were deleted. :))
But, I am sorry. An AI computer!?!?! You will surely die. (just kidding.)

Bullies are everywhere. Seen many a NOOB secumb to them. Jet Fins, BPW, 7ft hose. Sell their gear after <25 dives.
You can't learn to dive on the net. Takes experience, practice and maybe some trial and error.

Diver Kat
12-01-2008, 22:52
I do hang out on SB as well as here, but it is true some of those folks don't have an iota of humor in their bodies .... I think I might have posted on the Octo+/Air2 thread Daz was talking about (or one similar) where all the 'serious' folks blew a gasket. (Personally I've used an Octo+ for 5 years and then just upgraded to the Octo Z. )

As for Ms. Splitlip ....

I have come across a couple a** holes here too. It is just a matter of "volume".I sure hope you ain't talking 'bout me here!! :smiley2: You KNOW I'm only yanking your chain!! (You make it so easy!)

Seriously - what I like about ST is pretty much everyone has a warped sense of humor, and if I can't be diving right now, I can sure use the on-going entertainment around here!!:smiley20:

Splitlip
12-01-2008, 22:59
I do hang out on SB as well as here, but it is true some of those folks don't have an iota of humor in their bodies .... I think I might have posted on the Octo+/Air2 thread Daz was talking about (or one similar) where all the 'serious' folks blew a gasket. (Personally I've used an Octo+ for 5 years and then just upgraded to the Octo Z. )

As for Ms. Splitlip ....

I have come across a couple a** holes here too. It is just a matter of "volume".I sure hope you ain't talking 'bout me here!! :smiley2: You KNOW I'm only yanking your chain!! (You make it so easy!)

Not at all. I got flamed here a few months back regarding a 7ft hose for rec diving. Was quite a surprise. Mods deleted it.

Here is a link from SB with another get together Thanksgiving weekend.

I had fun. If you follow the thread, you'll see MY pic. :smilie39:

Saturday After Thanksgiving Dive and Picnic (East Coast) - ScubaBoard (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/trips-local-marketplace-florida/261180-saturday-after-thanksgiving-dive-picnic-east-coast.html)

Nemrod
12-01-2008, 23:04

Dive safe, dive fun.

I dive with a BPW, splits and I have used (still do on occasion) an SS1 alternate. I do not use a 7ft hose. (please see the flames I received here on ST no less. Oh, wait, they were deleted. :))
But, I am sorry. An AI computer!?!?! You will surely die. (just kidding.)

Bullies are everywhere. Seen many a NOOB secumb to them. Jet Fins, BPW, 7ft hose. Sell their gear after <25 dives.
You can't learn to dive on the net. Takes experience, practice and maybe some trial and error.

You are a breath of fresh air, you think for yourself, thank you.

N

Daz
12-01-2008, 23:43
But, I am sorry. An AI computer!?!?! You will surely die. :smiley36:

fire diver
12-02-2008, 02:41
I understand the volume differences between here and SB, but there is another difference too. This board actively discourages the trollish behaviour. The main reason I have never fully rejoined SB after the melt-down was the un-checked trolls. People who never posted a message other than to try to start a fight, yet the mods never removed them, and only occasionally removed the offending messages.

I have always been a "dive what works for you" diver, but I also like my gear and happily spread the word about BP/W configs. Hopefully I've never seemed rude or pushy about it, and that any jokes I have ever made have all been taken as such.

Crimediver
12-02-2008, 06:12
A couple of years ago there was a post about a diver who was scooped up by a British fishing trawler, as I recall, while diving. While he had an interesting ride he was deposited on the deck unhurt. I made a posting that said he was lucky it was not a Japanese fishing boat or they would have cut off his fins and thrown him overboard.

I got blasted by a mod for my racist comments and my post deleted. I did not see it as racist but more of a commentary on the practice of shark finning. It is that politically correct BS that pisses me off.

Now if you desire an old fashioned ass whooping go to the Decostop and post about using your Air2. Later that evening, in the dead of night, a team of tech divers dressed in black will take you out and tie you to a tree and flail the skin off you with a 7 foot hose. I won't even go into what they will do to your nipples with the wire leads from their cannister lights that have a six hour burn time.

The folks at Scubaboard are a bunch of limp wrist compared to the Decostop. (Not that there is anything wrong with that...)

And Daz-Just a word of caution...
I can't believe you made the mistake of pissing off Thassalamania. Never piss off a man who once killed a bull shark with a Farallon Shark Dart...

Splitlip
12-02-2008, 06:14
but there is another difference too. This board actively discourages the trollish behaviour.

No disagreement here.

Splitlip
12-02-2008, 06:18
:smiley32: GREAT post!

A couple of years ago there was a post about a diver who was scooped up by a British fishing trawler, as I recall, while diving. While he had an interesting ride he was deposited on the deck unhurt. I made a posting that said he was lucky it was not a Japanese fishing boat or they would have cut off his fins and thrown him overboard.

I got blasted by a mod for my racist comments and my post deleted. I did not see it as racist but more of a commentary on the practice of shark finning. It is that politically correct BS that pisses me off.

Now if you desire an old fashioned ass whooping go to the Decostop and post about using your Air2. Later that evening, in the dead of night, a team of tech divers dressed in black will take you out and tie you to a tree and flail the skin off you with a 7 foot hose. I won't even go into what they will do to your nipples with the wire leads from their cannister lights that have a six hour burn time.

The folks at Scubaboard are a bunch of limp wrist compared to the Decostop. (Not that there is anything wrong with that...)

I can't believe you made the mistake of pissing off Thassalamania. Never piss off a man who once killed a bull shark with a Farallon Shark Dart...

Up the Amazon no less. It was a greaat read though.

fire diver
12-02-2008, 06:57

You know, this used to be the case, and it was part of the fun of being a member there. It was no-holds barred. And friends tore into friends just for fun, it was part of the comraderie.

But lately, I don't know whats going on. After a long thread cracking on a the poor skills witnessed of a cave diver, had actually become quite interesting, it was locked by the mods, and disapeared the next day. Then several more threads became locked-down by mods.

When speach is being cencored at TDS, I think it's one of the signs of the appocalypse.

DMWiz
12-02-2008, 08:26
but there is another difference too. This board actively discourages the trollish behaviour.

No disagreement here.

You troll... :smiley36: just kidding!

I do find myself spending more time here than there, but let's not break our own arms padding ourselves in the back. Let's learn from their mistakes and keep this place as friendly as it is.

Wiz

cmburch
12-02-2008, 10:15
SCUBAToys was the first forum I joined. I have since joined several other boards. I dive with members of SCUBABoard and SpearBoard. I have only met 2 divers from SCUBAToys. There are many experienced and knowledgeable members on SB. I can see that I will use SB and SpearBoard more than ST in the future.

Foo2
12-02-2008, 11:53
This board actively discourages the trollish behaviour.

Trolls suck!:smiley21:

DollFin
12-02-2008, 12:12
So far, I really haven't had any problems with SB, but I tend to stay in the local forum or the singles (As in without a SO) forum, and both have a pretty nice group of people. Overall though, this place is more fun!

Brandon Belew
12-02-2008, 12:53
This board actively discourages the trollish behaviour.

Trolls suck!:smiley21:

http://actingdirector.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/troll-movie.jpg

kjvander
12-02-2008, 13:08
I participate both here and on SB....I read things with a grain of salt and know that there will be people that are set in there ways and will never accept anyone else's opinion. I try to learn from everyone that I read and as i go out and dive i try new things that i have read about or discussed on SB and here. it is all about learning for me.

now as far as the OP...I did read that thread before it was deleted and like i said...there are people that have the opinion that they are right all the time and can't take any criticism....or a joke for that matter....and will blast back and defend their position...or just take their ball and go home.

I will say that more times than not I would dive with most anyone....as a new diver i am sure that there are plenty of people out there with something to show/teach me and i'm willing to learn....but then there are other....

anyway...off the soap box...

peace out

Daz
12-02-2008, 16:53
I made a posting that said he was lucky it was not a Japanese fishing boat or they would have cut off his fins and thrown him overboard. Funny stuff - Sounds like something I'd post.

I got blasted by a mod for my racist comments and my post deleted. I did not see it as racist but more of a commentary on the practice of shark finning. It is that politically correct BS that pisses me off. I'll agree.

I can't believe you made the mistake of pissing off Thassalamania. Never piss off a man who once killed a bull shark with a Farallon Shark Dart...Who says it was a mistake? I didn't mean to piss him off initially, although after he PM'd me to "give me the opportunity to apologize" I'll admit I did intend to push his buttons with the comments (via PM) that I was sorry he didn't have a sense of humor and that I was sorry he got his panties in a wad over the perceived slight. I quit reading his PM's after that.

Splitlip
12-02-2008, 17:27
I understand the volume differences between here and SB, but there is another difference too. This board actively discourages the trollish behaviour. The main reason I have never fully rejoined SB after the melt-down was the un-checked trolls. People who never posted a message other than to try to start a fight, yet the mods never removed them, and only occasionally removed the offending messages.

I have always been a "dive what works for you" diver, but I also like my gear and happily spread the word about BP/W configs. Hopefully I've never seemed rude or pushy about it, and that any jokes I have ever made have all been taken as such.

Actually this from SB Basic Scuba Discussions forum..

Basic Scuba Discussions (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/) (72 Viewing)
Have a Scuba related question? Get a Scuba related answer here.
Please note: This forum has special rules. This forum is intended to be a very friendly, "flame free zone" where divers of any skill level may ask questions about basic scuba topics without fear of being accosted. Please show respect and courtesy at all times. Remember that the inquirer is looking for answers that they can understand. This is a learning zone and consequently, any off-topic or overly harsh responses will be removed.

Daz
12-02-2008, 17:42
Quick note - This didn't happen in the Basic section.

(Now where's that dead horse smiley?)

Splitlip
12-02-2008, 17:53
Quick note - This didn't happen in the Basic section.

(Now where's that dead horse smiley?) On the ScubaBoard smiley list :)

Understand.

kjvander
12-02-2008, 18:02
but beating horses even after they are dead....isn't that the point of internet forums....lol

Daz
12-02-2008, 18:57
On the ScubaBoard smiley list :)

Understand. D'oh!

neugierig
12-03-2008, 10:41
I've dove with ppl from SB, but not with ST people yet. the SB ppl were ok, but i usually stay in the region-specific threads.

overall i'd say that this forum is friendlier, but SB's got a lot more going on

BarbadosSlim93
12-03-2008, 18:56
I participate both here and on SB....I read things with a grain of salt and know that there will be people that are set in there ways and will never accept anyone else's opinion. I try to learn from everyone that I read and as i go out and dive i try new things that i have read about or discussed on SB and here. it is all about learning for me.

now as far as the OP...I did read that thread before it was deleted and like i said...there are people that have the opinion that they are right all the time and can't take any criticism....or a joke for that matter....and will blast back and defend their position...or just take their ball and go home.

I will say that more times than not I would dive with most anyone....as a new diver i am sure that there are plenty of people out there with something to show/teach me and i'm willing to learn....but then there are other....

anyway...off the soap box...

peace out

Agreed. I read both SB and ST, and you will find people that are going to push their opinions no matter where you go. With that said, I think people need to have a better sense of humor and not take themselves so seriously...

thagar
12-03-2008, 20:44
although after he PM'd me to "give me the opportunity to apologize"

He let you apologize? How nice of him. SB sounds like something I should stay away from. I am not the PC type and I could careless who's feelings I hurt.

zoey
12-03-2008, 23:12
I joined this forum after being continually beaten by the members of SB. In each case I was genuinely seeking knowledge.

I made the mistake of asking a question in the DIR forum. At that time I wasn't even sure what they were all about. I figured that they would certainly give me good advice. After all, it's the "Do it Right" crowd right?

Well, needless to say, I got smacked around; even after sending each person who replied a personal apology via PM. After that incident, I quit posting and became a lurker.

Honestly, I just got tired of all the unprovoked attacks. I was really ashamed when I realized that some day I might be diving with some of these people. I've always felt that the diving community was pretty friendly and tight knit (as evidenced by my experiences on boat dives). I guess it's a different case when divers interact on the net.

RikRaeder
12-04-2008, 06:48
Well, there are a lot of interesting threads there. I, for one, just don't read or reply to the ones I think are offensive in some way. In any event, thank you to the OP for being mature enough to avoid the "Other Board," nomenclature. I hate that...makes me feel like I'm reading a post from a third grader.

plot
12-04-2008, 19:01
divers are an awesome tight knit group. those guys you see on SB and other forums constantly saying you're doing it wrong and telling how the proper way to do it, have never been diving before.

RikRaeder
12-05-2008, 03:22
Well said!

DMWiz
12-05-2008, 06:20
I've always felt that the diving community was pretty friendly and tight knit (as evidenced by my experiences on boat dives). I guess it's a different case when divers interact on the net.

In the internet everyone is a great diver with millions of dives to their name and it becomes really intimidating, but in real life the same people are not such a tool. It's so impersonal that people don't watch what they say and are more likely to be arrogant and pedantic. Not to mention that they don't run the risk of ever having to back up their claims in real life.

That's why I mainly hangout in my local forum where I've met a number of the people in real life and it becomes more friendly 'cause all the egos are checked at the door everyone knows everyone else.:smiley20:

Wiz

thagar
12-05-2008, 22:11
Internet forums in general are like that. I belong to a Washington Capitals forum and don't say anything bad about certitain players or the blow torches come out.

zoey
12-06-2008, 13:37
I suspect that, because there is no face-to-face interaction on the net, we lose some really key points of effective communication. We don't see the facial expressions, body language, inflection, tone of voice....I can see how this would lead one to easily misunderstand another persons intent.

But then again, sometimes the intent is quite clear:smiley19:

RikRaeder
12-06-2008, 15:43
And some people just choose to hide behind the shield of anonymity. Not a new thing on the internet.

JCAT
12-18-2008, 06:29
I read SB's photo section, as it is a good source for new picture-takers (like me!) Scuba Toys photo threads are becoming really good as well. I find that the elitist attitude does not present itself in underwater photography too much and that's pretty cool!

cheers

BHC
12-19-2008, 14:05
I'm a little surprised to here that people have been berated on SB. I've been going there for the last four years and have always found them to be very helpful. In hindsight, I have asked some pretty lame questions, but almost all of the responses have been very helpful. In one instance it took a lot of pounding from the posters to get their point into my thick head, but they persisted and got their point across in a very intelligent manner. Sorry to hear that others have had problems. Personally, I have found more "Dive Gods" in dive shops than on forums.

Just found this forum a few weeks ago and I must say that ST's overall atmosphere is much lighter. I'm really enjoying this board!!

Roger

Monkeylemon
12-19-2008, 18:05
Scubatoys' forum is hands-down the most civil I've ever seen! (And, as I've noted before, refreshingly literate!)

Doug B
12-19-2008, 22:18
There's not much better than home made biscuits and gravy on a saturday morning.

Splitlip
12-19-2008, 22:47
Scubatoys' forum is hands-down the most civil I've ever seen! (And, as I've noted before, refreshingly literate!)

Hey, step off dude!

Who are you calling literate?

Edit:
Wait, is literate good?

Daz
12-20-2008, 00:08
There's a joke here - I just know it...

Splitlip
12-20-2008, 00:14
No joke. I thought for a moment he was insulting my Mom. Butt I luked up the werd.

Defman
12-20-2008, 06:47
I recently purchased a Mazdaspeed3 and I decided to check out the forums for those.... man, what a bunch of know it all @$$h0les!! There's some helpful people there too, but a higher than average "clown count" IMHO.

captain
12-21-2008, 17:38
It's fun to occasionally "chum the water" on scubaboard and then stand back and watch.

cvrle1
12-22-2008, 22:41
I don't mind the SB. I find that I get the answers fairly quickly and most, if not all were really friendly and helpful. As for the BS, you will find that to some degree everywhere public gathers. Only thing that is needed is one know it all and there you have it.

Bottom line is, if I don't like the BS going on in the thread, I will stop reading it :)

kjvander
12-23-2008, 08:37
I'll agree that there are some people that are the know it all types that think that if you don't dive their way you are a dangerous diver....but then there are some that are on the board that are there to help that want to see the sport progress and also come together to have a good time. Still it's agreed that you have to read through the BS while reading some posts but even if you read news articles there are people that are just going to throw out their opinion....even if they should have kept it to themselves.....

ianr33
12-23-2008, 09:04
It's fun to occasionally "chum the water" on scubaboard and then stand back and watch.

I would never do such a thing !! :smiley36:

awap
12-23-2008, 09:14
I found that things got more peaceful for me on SB once I blocked forums I had no interest in or just did not need to get involved in.

BarbadosSlim93
12-26-2008, 18:11
I was on SB today and in a thread about the free market with dive equipment, two LDS owners started sniping at each other. It went from a great thread to crap by two people who should be doing their damnedest to represent themselves and their shop well. Its the vibe like that that makes me so appreciative of this forum. Here is the link to it: Why Isn't There a Free Market for Scuba Equipment? - Page 7 - ScubaBoard (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/new-divers-those-considering-diving/254073-why-isnt-there-free-market-scuba-equipment-7.html)
:smiley21::smiley21::smiley21:

zoey
12-26-2008, 21:42
What amazes me is that the mods don't seem to take a more active role in curtailing the shenanigans. In the thread mentioned above, a mod didn't step in until the ball was already at full speed.

I don't know if they are short handed or what. As a mod on a site with 56K members, I can tell you that I, and the other moderators, have the ability to creatively change the atmosphere of the site for the better.

plot
12-26-2008, 22:12
the 'report post' thing does wonders for letting all the members help moderate.

zoey
12-26-2008, 22:32
Yes, that feature definitely helps the mods; especially when a site has a large per day post volume.

awap
12-27-2008, 08:23
I was on SB today and in a thread about the free market with dive equipment, two LDS owners started sniping at each other. It went from a great thread to crap by two people who should be doing their damnedest to represent themselves and their shop well. Its the vibe like that that makes me so appreciative of this forum. Here is the link to it: Why Isn't There a Free Market for Scuba Equipment? - Page 7 - ScubaBoard (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/new-divers-those-considering-diving/254073-why-isnt-there-free-market-scuba-equipment-7.html)
:smiley21::smiley21::smiley21:

I rather enjoyed that thread and the exchange between cdreamer and offthewall. It seemed to me that one wanted to run a successful LDS by charging higher prices and hopefully compensating with service while the other was focused on satisfying customers by providing them with lowest prices.

Given the choice, I'll usually opt for the best prices as I neither want or need much of the "services" foistered by some LDSs.

WV Diver
12-27-2008, 09:13
We (the wife and I) have a rather large and ever growing circle of friends on SB. For me it has been more of a source of socializing, for meeting new people and finding locals to dive with when we travel rather than an information forum.

Because of this SB has been a very good experience for us over the years. We love the SB Invasions and other group gatherings that Pete organizes. It has so enriched our love of diving over the years.

True I get very frustrated with its failure to operate a lot of the time. Sometimes it seems that the forum is down more than it is up. But over all I enjoy the board very much and will continue to use it.

We have met people through the SB that are some of our very best diving friends. Friends that we go out of our way to get together with, dive with and visit with.

SB has 10 times the number of members we have. This is a lot of the problem with the attitudes you see there. But I have to think some of the blame goes to the mods and the communications among them. It is hard to keep everyone on the same page without good communications. A lot gets over looked or falls through the cracks.

As SCUBA Toys grows I feel sure that Larry and our little group of moderators will be able to handle the masses that are to come. We have a good group of mods that know what Larry wants and expects of his forum.

Larry is always there when we have questions and always has a great attitude toward the board and its members. There have been some that have been banned but I think that knowing the expectations for this board as new members coming in gives this forum an edge.

Everyone knows this is a family and work friendly atmosphere and that bulling and disrespect will not and are not tolerated and I think this in itself helps to harness some of the attitude that some may bring with them when they first come into our little community.

Members here are good to help and report spam and other posts they know are inappropriate. This board is for all of us. A place where we can come and discuss that which we all have in common without fear of ridicule or bashing. As active members you have the power to stop any and all attitude with the push of a single button. Keep up the good work folks. Together we stand.

Shenanigan
12-27-2008, 10:31
What amazes me is that the mods don't seem to take a more active role in curtailing the shenanigans.

I can't be curtailed! :smilie39::smilie39:

Rhino
12-27-2008, 20:25
I find that I'm spending more and more time at this forum. I spend more time here reading the threads than I do at another sports-related website where I'm a Moderator...:uhoh:

Shenanigan
12-27-2008, 20:35
I find that I'm spending more and more time at this forum. I spend more time here reading the threads than I do at another sports-related website where I'm a Moderator...:uhoh:

Ah-Ha - allowing the Shenanigans to go on ... :smiliez.de_2139:

:smilie39:

zoey
12-27-2008, 21:12
Well, from what I hear, the shenanigans can't be curtailed.:smiley36:

Shenanigan
12-27-2008, 21:22
Well, from what I hear, the shenanigans can't be curtailed.:smiley36:

You are absolutely correct! :smiley36:

bane51031
01-03-2009, 20:26
I enjoy several forums, I take what I need,give advice when I can and never get bent out of shape re: someone elses opinion.

Bill22
02-05-2009, 01:24
It's been interesting reading this thread... I really started my internet posting here on this board... I eventually gravitated to scubaboard when I was planning my second dive trip to the Philippines. I was invited there by someone who posts on both boards and was welcomed with open arms by the members of Philippine Paradise Divers there. I have a similar post count on both boards and I also post at Zendivers and a few other boards occasionally.

Point being that there are some good forums there and I still post there and participate... :)

On the other hand I understand the reputation they have... there is at least one forum that I pretty much stay out of there. Because I've been met with rudeness in that forum, I choose not to go there very often. As a result most of my posts on scubaboard have ended up in the PPD forum. I met several of the people who post there during my last trip to the Philippines and they were just as nice in person as they were in the forum :)

I live in Japan.... Despite diving here on regular basis, guess which scubaboard forum, I don't go into anymore :D

Happy to see things are still friendly here :)

Straegen
02-05-2009, 02:00
I like scubaboard as a reference personally. I tend to use googles site command to search the forums for specific topics. I gravitated here since it is more laid back. I felt like I was trying to have a conversation in a giant loud stadium filled with people over at SB.

Foo2
02-05-2009, 10:35
It's been interesting reading this thread... I really started my internet posting here on this board... I eventually gravitated to scubaboard when I was planning my second dive trip to the Philippines. I was invited there by someone who posts on both boards and was welcomed with open arms by the members of Philippine Paradise Divers there. I have a similar post count on both boards and I also post at Zendivers and a few other boards occasionally.

Point being that there are some good forums there and I still post there and participate... :)

On the other hand I understand the reputation they have... there is at least one forum that I pretty much stay out of there. Because I've been met with rudeness in that forum, I choose not to go there very often. As a result most of my posts on scubaboard have ended up in the PPD forum. I met several of the people who post there during my last trip to the Philippines and they were just as nice in person as they were in the forum :)

I live in Japan.... Despite diving here on regular basis, guess which scubaboard forum, I don't go into anymore :D

You will find that as a whole the local forums on SB are much more friendly.

Bill22
02-05-2009, 11:14
......You will find that as a whole the local forums on SB are much more friendly.

As a whole, I would agree with you :) It was very disappointing to me though that certain individuals in what should have been my "local" forum seemed so threatened by my being there, that they lost no opportunity at basically being rude. I guess they thought I was going to take business away from them. The forum is basically "owned" by people associated with different dive shops.

They particularly irritated me when a young sailor from here in Yokosuka who had just come to Japan, posted and asked about dive shops in the local area. They all knew about our club on base because I had posted about it. A young Seaman Apprentice (paygrade E-2) can't afford to dive here if they're not in the club. Heck I would probably rarely dive here if it weren't for the club... just too expensive here.

With one exception they were all about "helping" him (for a supposed really good deal for him of course... did I mention how expensive everything is here?). Only one dive shop owner spoke up and said anything about the dive club on the base.

The rest didn't mind trying to point him to their dive shops though, even though they're over an hour away by train. A place where he would have paid a lot more for equipment than what he could order it from the states for (our mailing address is in the US so we don't have to pay overseas shipping), where he would pay at least triple what he would pay for training on base through MWR.

The kid was new in Japan, but knew about scubaboard and decided to ask there instead of asking around the base. We have a regular announcement in the base paper and the club was featured in an article last year when we did an underwater cleanup on Earth Day. We're not unknown around the base, he was just new and didn't take the time to ask around.

With the exception of this one dive business, it left a pretty sour taste in my mouth. That coupled with other things just turned me off to that forum.

The majority of the other forums that I've been in there people have been really nice and I've had no problems. I'm a regular poster in the PPD forum and have met several of them during my last trip. All great people :) I've posted a few fairly extensive trip reports there (just re-posted my Anilao trip report here recently)

Yes, I did track this kid down, and gave him the straight scoop on everything. Got him to a meeting and he's saving up to buy gear now. Of course I told him he could get a good deal at scubatoys :)

Splitlip
02-05-2009, 17:01
I'm with Foo on this. I met some great people through the Florida Conch Divers' forum.

You will find that as a whole the local forums on SB are much more friendly.

IrishSquid
02-05-2009, 19:07
I'm a member on SB, and have spent more time there than here since I joined there earlier than here. I have learned alot there, met quite a few good friends and had great dives with them. I really enjoy this board also. I understand about the attitudes that you can find there but I kinda enjoy it. I get a good laugh now and then from the seriousness some folks take and the intensity of their positions. Just have to learn how to weed out the chaff. I am a member of a few of the forums there and one I really enjoy (call me a glutton for punishment) is the PUB. If you want to really get flamed or hear some indignant righteousness, check that out!

Bill22
02-05-2009, 20:00
I'm with Foo on this. I met some great people through the Florida Conch Divers' forum.

Again, I agree... as I said I've met some great people there :) Never said otherwise ;)

I've also seen some people who are complete jerks. They irritate me at times, other times I just laugh at them. When it's all said and done, I generally just ignore them ;)

The vast majority of people I've met on scubaboard have been great :)

Zenagirl
02-06-2009, 07:12
I'm glad at least the Newbie and Basic discussion boards are now flame free on SB. It was so irritating when a new person would ask an innocent question and get fried for their "stupidity". <sigh>

But I'm like you guys, I mostly stick to the regional area and manufacturer forums. I don't post on my local area forum only because I don't dive locally....too danged cold.

However, I have made some good on-line friends on SB and am looking forward to diving with a couple of them this summer on Bonaire.

LRDWILDER
02-09-2009, 16:51
I have a SB account and never really enjoyed being on it. I always felt like it was very elitist in a sense and very our way or the high way. I've never once felt that way here on ST forum. I've always really enjoyed coming on here...in fact...I don't think I've ever really logged out!

Splitlip
02-09-2009, 21:13
I have a SB account and never really enjoyed being on it. I always felt like it was very elitist in a sense and very our way or the high way. I've never once felt that way here on ST forum. I've always really enjoyed coming on here...in fact...I don't think I've ever really logged out!

Scubaboard has over 3.5 million mosts and has well over a hundred thousand members. You're gonna get those who lurk in the anonymous interworld and make more of themselves than they are. The numbers are so large you simply see more of these people.

The most intriguing thing about that site is to see the noobs enter and get beat up then somehow relate to their tormentors; Stokholm syndrome if you will; and turn into the same who tormented them.

The forum I really think is funny is Diver to Diver on Scubadiving.com. Kind of like Scubaboard lite. Comparatively fewer discussions about the sport, but rather a lot of back slapping and bitch slapping. In that forum, the big dogs are the ones with the larger post counts and longevity on the forum. Like that means something. Sigh....

Pretty good group here. A lot of fun, but still good information available.

Plus, in as much as I have like the 3rd or 4th largest post count here, I must be pretty smart. God knows how useful my posts are. If you have fewer than 3000 posts, don't bother disagreeing with me. :smilie39:

http://forum.scubatoys.com/signaturepics/sigpic2053_3.gif

fire diver
02-10-2009, 01:11
Plus, in as much as I have like the 3rd or 4th largest post count here, I must be pretty smart. God knows how useful my posts are. If you have fewer than 3000 posts, don't bother disagreeing with me. :smilie39:

http://forum.scubatoys.com/signaturepics/sigpic2053_3.gif

She means it too! I disagreed ONCE and got smacked with her flipper.

BTW- where can I get to dive with a FOO for only $12.95?

Foo2
02-10-2009, 01:23
[BTW- where can I get to dive with a FOO for only $12.95?

A Foo would be curious about where you can dive for $12.95 too!:smiley36:

LRDWILDER
02-10-2009, 06:09
Personally I think FOO should pay US $12.95 to dive with him. j/k :-)

mike_s
02-10-2009, 09:34
Scubaboard has over 3.5 million mosts and has well over a hundred thousand members. You're gonna get those who lurk in the anonymous interworld and make more of themselves than they are. The numbers are so large you simply see more of these people.

their numbers might be advertised as large, but I think if you took a one week or one month sample, that most of the posts are made by less than 1,000 people there. A majority of that 100,000 users are folks who hardly post, have not posted in 6+ months, or folks who just signed up and said hello plus a few other posts and never posted again.

The most intriguing thing about that site is to see the noobs enter and get beat up then somehow relate to their tormentors; Stokholm syndrome if you will; and turn into the same who tormented them.

[snip]

heh... that sounds like what some folks on SB would say! (love the sarcasm... :smilie39:)

JCAT
02-10-2009, 09:51
As a long time lurker on SB, I will say they have cleaned the place up a bit in the last year. Many of the individuals that would bum rush new comers, or any who dared to not toe the line, have moved off.

There are some that are still there, but have toned their attitudes down. Actually not too bad now in the open forums.

just my 2psi

JCAT
02-10-2009, 09:54
Personally I think FOO should pay US $12.95 to dive with him. j/k :-)

I think FOO2 is a female moderator, course these days who knows. $12.95 is still pretty cheap.

Foo2
02-10-2009, 09:59
I think FOO2 is a female moderator...

Did my avatar give it away?

JCAT
02-10-2009, 10:16
Nah, I've been on the board for a while and seem to remember you used your "real picture" for a while, then used a photoshop snorkle/underwater type theme, and now your current alterego male avatar.

Now, about this 12.95 diving, is two tanks?........:smiley36:

cummings66
02-10-2009, 11:28

How can I argue with that logic?:smilie39:

Foo2
02-10-2009, 12:56
Now, about this 12.95 diving, is two tanks?........:smiley36:

JCAT, I'll dive with ANYONE that'll pay me 12.95. Come on down to TX!

JCAT
02-10-2009, 13:52
One day, my wife and I may return for a visit. We were married in Texas many, many, many moons ago.

It would be neat to drive from DFW down to Galveston and see how things have changed.

If we ever make it back there, we'll hire you as our diving guide(DM).:smiley20:

Diver Kat
02-10-2009, 14:29
I think FOO2 is a female moderator, course these days who knows. Is that anything like a Female Impersonator?? :smilie39::smilie39:

MSilvia
02-10-2009, 15:48
I really like the regional forums on SB, but I have little use for the rest of it, and don't read posts in threads outside the "New England Lobstah Divers forum. Scubaboard used to be pretty awesome, back when King Neptune ran the place. No offense to NetDoc, who I think does a great job of holding the place together, but it just isn't like the good old days there anymore.

LRDWILDER
02-10-2009, 19:00
Thats even better....I've always dreamed of a women paying me.....to dive that is :-)

I think FOO2 is a female moderator...

Did my avatar give it away?

Bill22
02-10-2009, 19:55
I really like the regional forums on SB, but I have little use for the rest of it, and don't read posts in threads outside the "New England Lobstah Divers forum. Scubaboard used to be pretty awesome, back when King Neptune ran the place. No offense to NetDoc, who I think does a great job of holding the place together, but it just isn't like the good old days there anymore.

Same here... I pretty much hang out in the Philippine Paradise Divers forum with occasional forays over to Barangay Pasaway or the U/W Photography forums. Great people there :)