PDA

View Full Version : Let's Talk About Undies!

gNats
12-01-2008, 08:34
Why do I think I should post that headline in the Men's Forum? :smiley2:

Hi everyone,

I have a DUI 50/50 drysuit. This has been my first year diving with it (ok - only 5 fall dives). I have been doing the "winter layering" technique up to this point - using top of the line wicking and layering clothing from REI. I dove here in Michigan yesterday and was comfortable (not hot, but not chilled) in 46-48 deg F water temps.

Lately, I have been receiving a lot of comments from other dry suit users that I should invest in dry suit undies. However, the dive shops don't carry a selection of undies for you to try on, so making a decision is at best, a shot in the dark.

Can you please tell me what brand/style undies you wear and why do you like them?

Women users: Any concerns with the one piece versus two pieces? I worry that the 2 piece will have loss of heat and will ride or shift. But, let's face it, a one-piece doesn't offer any protection when nature calls. :smiley9:

Thank you!

kjvander
12-01-2008, 10:10
I prefer Hanes....but unfortunatly they don't make diving apparel.

but I am interested to see what people have to say as well as I will probably be in the market for a drysuit here in awhile.

MSilvia
12-01-2008, 10:20
I know a lot of drysuit divers who use fleece undies of various types, and while some seem happy with them, others complain that even the usual 400g fleece is borderline inadequate for really cold water. I haven't tried fleece myself, so I wouldn't know.

Personally, I use a Weezle Extreme undergarment, and I can honestly say I've never been cold while wearing it, even when I had a slow leak in 38 degree water. The wicking and insulation is just awesome! The garment may have a damp exterior after a dive from time to time (sweat, condensation, etc) but I've never felt it.

The only complaints I have about the suit are that the puffy collar is stupid, and shouldn't be there. It just gets in the way of a neck seal, so I tuck it out of the way before donning my suit. Also, the windbreaker-like fabric of the outer layer of the undergarment is pretty easy to catch in a zipper, and I had to do a little patching before I learned the hard way to zip carefully.

I know one diver who used to dive a Weezle, but said "never again" after that loose outer layer somehow got sucked into his drysuit dump valve and caused an uncontrolled ascent. I've never had that issue, and even tried unsuccessfully to simulate it using a vacuum cleaner. I'm personally of the opinion that he must have been using a poorly designed dump valve. It doesn't seem possible with the valve on my Bare suit.

gNats
12-01-2008, 10:44
I know one diver who used to dive a Weezle, but said "never again" after that loose outer layer somehow got sucked into his drysuit dump valve and caused an uncontrolled ascent. I've never had that issue, and even tried unsuccessfully to simulate it using a vacuum cleaner. I'm personally of the opinion that he must have been using a poorly designed dump valve. It doesn't seem possible with the valve on my Bare suit.

Thanks Matt. The LDS near me has an instructor that uses the Weezle suit and is bringing it in for me to look at. Do you have the standard Weezle or the Extreme Cold?

Also, in your opinion, could a too large set of undies have caused that loose outer layer to get sucked into the dump valve?

MSilvia
12-01-2008, 10:47
I use the Extreme. It's warmer than the regular Weezle, but not as warm as the Extreme Plus.

In my opinion, no, a loose fitting garment wouldn't have much to do with it. The Weezle is sort of like a cross between pajamas and a sleeping bag... the outer layer is loose regardless of how the inner layer fits.

gNats
12-01-2008, 10:51
I use the Extreme. It's warmer than the regular Weezle, but not as warm as the Extreme Plus.

In my opinion, no, a loose fitting garment wouldn't have much to do with it. The Weezle is sort of like a cross between pajamas and a sleeping bag... the outer layer is loose regardless of how the inner layer fits.

Thanks!

cummings66
12-01-2008, 13:54
I've got some of Andy's undergarments, ok but not available new anymore. I use Viking undergarments and they're very nice IMO. I have 2 sets I use, the http://www.scuba.com/scuba-gear-159/066480/Viking-Arctic-Plus-Undergarment.html

(Viking Arctic Plus) there is the warmest and if you get cold easily it's the one I'd choose. I use the 200 gr version more though.

You have fleece, thinsulate, and some high loft things like the Weezles. Each has benefits, fleece is cheaper, but once wet it's cold. Thinsulate while nice while wet doesn't like to be washed as often and the Weezle requires more air in the suit to stay real warm in comparison to the thinsulate undergarments. I have NEVER heard a weezle user complain about it being cold in comparison to any other undergarment out there, including thinsulate.

Some makers have stretch panels which are nice, you can get a closer fit to your body and yet still have the freedom to reach behind your head and manipulate valves.

MSilvia
12-01-2008, 15:12
Weezle requires more air in the suit to stay real warm in comparison to the thinsulate undergarments.
That's certainly true... a Weezle needs to be puffy to be effective, and that means keeping a bit more air in the suit.

cummings66
12-01-2008, 18:21
Which means a cave cut DUI with 400 gr thinsulate undergarments might be tight with a weezle. I've seen people actually sell a drysuit and move up in size just to be able to use a Weezle. I have never heard anything bad other than the clogging the exhaust vent and that is supposed to be a fixed issue now anyhow.

A weezle is pricy however which It hink is a big reason you don't see a lot of them around.

Splitlip
12-01-2008, 22:02
Tease!

RoyN
12-03-2008, 01:08
My steve and barry fleece jacket over the pinnacle temperate garment is great for me.

CFDAlden
12-04-2008, 01:54
"You got something in a low-rise bikini? Mesh, if possible." - Stripes, Bill Murray. :)

I wear a heavy duofold polypro union suit, with a heavy duofold polypro crew neck over it. That is more than enough to the mid 50's. I throw a pair of sweatpants and sweatshirt over that, which suits me to the mid 40's. Never been colder that that, Yet.

Divingguy
12-05-2008, 20:23
I dive the Pinnacle Evo2. Underneath, I wear two layers of underarmor cold-gear type polypro, the Pinnacle temperate undergarment, and a triple layer of socks of increasing thickness. As a DM, I have spent the better part of a day in 42 degree water with no problems. Not "fun", but not cold. I will say that the Pinnacle U/G did a very good job of wicking water, and not getting cold, when I had a user-error leak at a wrist seal.

bane51031
12-11-2008, 19:58
I use a Whites MkII and layer underarmour pants and top I am good t down to 34 degrees but, I run warm, my buddy wears a MkII but, wears another set of thermals on under those....

LCF
12-14-2008, 07:19
But, let's face it, a one-piece doesn't offer any protection when nature calls.

I use a White's MK3 undergarment (with 4th Element dry base and a 200g Thinsulate vest under it). The White's has a "relief zipper" in the back, which allows the call of nature without baring any more than necessary.

mudshark
12-14-2008, 21:54
I have a Mares crushed neoprene and I like but I find I do need some layering with it. I must run to the colder side of things because even in the 55 degree waters off San Diego I get a bit chilled, though nothing like before I had the drysuit. I was just miserable and wouldn't dive California again after my first CA dive experience.

I use fleece pants from REI, 400 wt. (they're a few years old so I don't know what the comparable contemporary choice would be) and a Patagonia wicking outdoor activity undergarment shirt but I think I need a little something else. Even with a drysuit I don't know if I could tolerate Great Lakes or winter Atlantic waters.
For the trilam suits are the pricey undergarments necessary or can you get by with off-the-rack cold wather wear?

ScottW
12-15-2008, 13:35
Wifey used an older DUI 2-piece 'equivalent' to the Ultra 400 until it wore out and loved it. Bought a fleece 400g from Whites and felt colder. Ordered the Ultra 400 last year and is in seventh heaven again. She prefers the two piece for nature calls. Besides, when momma dives warm everyone is happy.