PDA

View Full Version : Gauge or computer back-up

Suther2136
08-18-2007, 14:41
Hi folks, I'm fairly new here but one subject I don't see any discussion on is redundancy with regard to gauges. We all own an octo as a back-up for our main 2nd stage, but how many folks dive with a back-up SPG ?

thesmoothdome
08-18-2007, 15:37
Not I. If my computer takes a dump, which has never happened to me, the dive is over. No harm, no foul since all my diving is of the recreational variety.

MxDiver
08-18-2007, 16:19
Watch and depth gauge. But for deco diving (when I get my certification) I will be using a second computer for back up.

cummings66
08-19-2007, 08:19
I did dive with a backup analog gage, but when I switched regulators to the Apeks DS4/XTX50 I gave up the analog. When I get the H valve up and going I'll add the SPG back into the mix.

I trust the computer enough I don't worry about it, and in a year of diving the AI computer it's not once gave me a reason not to.

tedtim
08-19-2007, 11:59
Not I. If my computer takes a dump, which has never happened to me, the dive is over. No harm, no foul since all my diving is of the recreational variety.Same here, especially the recreational part. Dive with a buddy, ascend together, change the battery on the computer, wait 24 hours, and you are good to go.

Suther2136
08-20-2007, 17:30
Surely there are more than eight of you with an opinion on the subject...

deepdiver47
08-20-2007, 17:49
I do not see the need for a backup SPG. It is an analog pressure gauge and they are reliable. Besides, how much of an issue would it be at depth? Before I would spend money on a backup SPG I would have the following backups:

1) Computer
2) Spare Air
3) Mask
4) Fin strap

Ted S
08-20-2007, 17:56
I dive a d9 as my primary and a vyper with spg as my backup. The vyper and spg are in the same console which makes them convenient and ads a really nice level of redundancy that I like. If they weren't together, I'd probably just do two computers rather than having 3 different hoses, I'm not particularly worried about two computers failing at the depths I dive.

Suther2136
08-20-2007, 18:38
I do not see the need for a backup SPG. It is an analog pressure gauge and they are reliable. Besides, how much of an issue would it be at depth? Before I would spend money on a backup SPG I would have the following backups:

1) Computer
2) Spare Air
3) Mask
4) Fin strap

I agree, just wanted to cover the possible combos of equipment (without giving too many choices).

subsur
08-20-2007, 18:51
well, octo is a bad back-up to begin with. we all dive with it but if you're out of air, octo won't help. a separate tank (like a stage bottle) with itsown regulator is a much much better alternative.
with respect to spg redundancy - i only have analog spg but i often check my buddy tank pressure and compare the rading with his spg to make sure it works well.
if i had lots of money, i'd buy wireless diving computer so i'd have 2 pressure gauges. in the mean time, i'm saving for my non-AI, hoseless DC.

wxboy911
08-20-2007, 19:04
My goal is to eveuntually dive withe the ananlogue gauges and a wrist computer. I am also working on getting a pony rig together-seems like it could not hurt.

CompuDude
08-20-2007, 19:39
My analog SPG cost all of $55. Not exactly a budget-busting expense, especially when you consider what I paid for my wireless AI computer.

I consider it good safety, a good backup, and an excellent tool to use towards advanced training, where AI computers are frowned on. Having both lets me have it all!

Suther2136
08-21-2007, 11:46
well, octo is a bad back-up to begin with. we all dive with it but if you're out of air, octo won't help. a separate tank (like a stage bottle) with itsown regulator is a much much better alternative.
with respect to spg redundancy - i only have analog spg but i often check my buddy tank pressure and compare the rading with his spg to make sure it works well.
if i had lots of money, i'd buy wireless diving computer so i'd have 2 pressure gauges. in the mean time, i'm saving for my non-AI, hoseless DC.

On the other hand your octo is a great backup if your buddy runs out of air...much easier than sharing your primary, especially if they panic a bit.

TommyB
08-21-2007, 14:41
Wireless Computer with a backup analog spg just in case the transmitter were to fail for some reason.

cummings66
08-21-2007, 16:12
much easier than sharing your primary, especially if they panic a bit.

You mean buddy sharing? Or do you really think it's hard to donate your primary and go to your backup around the neck?

Splitlip
08-21-2007, 20:42
I have 3 computers. I will dive with 2 if I plan to dive more than 2 times in a 24 hour period.
Otherwise I dive a non AI computer with a brass and glass SPG. My watch doubles as a backup dive timer and depth guage.

I have had 3 computer failures, 2 at depth. I did not thumb the dives and made my second dives as well.

Splitlip
08-21-2007, 21:05

I don't want you to think I am going all SB on you, but you should never just run out of gas. If you want to plan for a catastrophic reg failure, an H-valve with a redundant 1st (and second) stage is a good option.
The octo (2nd stage) is not there for you, but for somebody else should that person run out of gas or suffer a catastrophic reg failure.

Having said that, I do know someone diving with an h-valve who had a bit of debris clog the valve. He switched to his backup and that failed to work as well. He shot for the surface and started breathing off a bottle of 02 he had slung for his safety stop. Waited till he got to 20 ft though.

Splitlip
08-21-2007, 22:00

1) Computer
2) Spare Air
3) Mask
4) Fin strap

I think they're talking a single SPG to backup the AI computer. At least most are.

Splitlip
08-21-2007, 22:15
Not I. If my computer takes a dump, which has never happened to me, the dive is over. No harm, no foul since all my diving is of the recreational variety.Same here, especially the recreational part. Dive with a buddy, ascend together, change the battery on the computer, wait 24 hours, and you are good to go.

In my world, often a good buddy is one who watches you swim to safety stop depth after you wave off.
I am not a vacation diver so waiting 24 hours to dive ususally means waiting until the next weekend.

Suther2136
08-26-2007, 09:40

In my world, often a good buddy is one who watches you swim to safety stop depth after you wave off.
I am not a vacation diver so waiting 24 hours to dive ususally means waiting until the next weekend.

Hi Splitlip,

Thanks for all the comments. How are things in Jupiter? Haven't been there for quite a while. Have the banyan trees on bridge road recovered yet?

Splitlip
09-11-2007, 20:59

Hi Splitlip,

Thanks for all the comments. How are things in Jupiter? Haven't been there for quite a while. Have the banyan trees on bridge road recovered yet?

Man, sorry I did not see your post.
Over all we came back very well. I honestly have not gone all the way East on bridge road since the storms. I live south of the inlet and usually take the scenic route up on A1A.
I do have friends that live off Bridge Rd, but they are on the west side. When I visit, I go on US1.
It is funny now that I am thinking of it, I have not run that stretch since Frances.

Aussie
09-12-2007, 08:43
I dive with a Glass/Brass SPG (Halycon) and also two computers (Suunto D9 & Vytec). I have a transmitter on my single tank kit and non on my twins. The transmitter is not worth the money and I would not recommend anyone to buy one (put the money towards a second backup computer).

Aussie

mm_dm
09-12-2007, 10:05
Two computers and a SPG. Works for me. Had a computer fail on me once in the midst of a great dive.

berick
09-13-2007, 17:09
Until last week, I just had one computer and no backup (except my wife). About 35 minutes into my second dive of the day (a shallow 50' max depth with sand bottom), my computer went blank. The computer wasn't air integrated, so I still knew I had plenty of air (more than half a tank). I finished the dive (45 minute per dive master) and ascended with my wife.

If I hadn't had plenty of air(nitrox), a familiar dive buddy who follows the same profiles I do, and a shallow floor, I would have ended the dive.

It is a bit disconcerting without a depth gage and a timer. From now on, I'll dive with 2 computers and a dive watch.