PDA

View Full Version : What Should I Do?

BarbadosSlim93
12-01-2008, 20:48
Ok, here's the deal. I have no health insurance, and no extra money to cover any medical bills (in fact when I had health insurance from my last job I had surgery, and 7 months later I just got an invoice saying they aren't covering my surgery), so I am kind of restricted as to what I can do health wise. Keep that in mind as I explain what is going on...

Earlier today I noticed that my breathing has slowed down, and it is harder to breathe for me than it normally is. I also noticed an aching in my chest and my pulse was slightly high. This went on for about 45 minutes and then went away for a while. It came back about 20 minutes ago and is going on as I type this. I am 24 years old, 6'2 and 215 pounds.

What do you think I should do? Should I wait this out and see what happens or should I go to the doctor? A trip to the ER is hella expensive and I really don't have the money to cover it.

Splitlip
12-01-2008, 21:03
Too bad your not an illegal.
Go to any ER.

Sorry, being cheeky, I am.

You really can't take chances with your health and should see somebody. Any friends who are physicians?

Largo
12-01-2008, 21:22
I personally, would get a friend to drive me to the ER. I'd also take some aspirin, just in case it is a heart problem.

Do you have outpatient clinics nearby? Often they are less expensive than an ER, and you can be seen faster.

FishFood
12-01-2008, 21:24
Is there a local city/county health clinic? Not the best places, but affordable.

sravin1
12-01-2008, 22:12
is the chest paia n accompanied by a pain on the left side of the upper body (left upper arm)? What did you eat for your past 2 meals?

I am not a physician, but I KNOW for a fact tht if you have chest pain and left arm weakness, its time for you to go to the doctor.

also, is your pain concentrated on your left side of the chest or is it in the middle? does your upper back hur as well. also, is your stomach bloated. if these are your symptoms, it could be just gas that you are experiencing.

in any case you should get a doctor's opinion or go to the ER if you continue to experience the symptoms.

ektess1
12-01-2008, 22:17
You should not be posting on a dive forum. You should be seeking mediacal advice; not dive advice. Go!

cummings66
12-01-2008, 22:32
I'd look at your other symptoms, are you running a fever, have you been coughing lately? Basically, do you have a cold or flu. Many have thought to themselves you're having a heart attack and it is possible to have one without typical symptoms. My Dad died at 54 years of age of a massive heart attack and showed no typical symptoms you hear associated with it, he was a diabetic you see.

There are other issues that can cause this too that are just as dangerous. The question is really this, if it impacts your daily life, if you can't do what you would normally do because it interferes then you must seek medical care.

The problem is this, you waited so long that most clinics will be closed and all you have left is the ER room. Next time prompt care is essential. If in doubt go to the doctor, or ER. I've been chewed out by enough doctors to know they'd be the first to tell you to seek care. Yes, I don't go until there's no options left and sometimes that's not good. Once they run an EKG on me for similar symptoms and it turned out to be a muscle spasm in my back so it's not always a bad thing. Some skelaxin and I was good as new 3 days later, after being bedfast for a while.

Rileybri
12-01-2008, 23:00
I call dibs on his fins!!!!!

Seriously though you need to go to the hospital.

BarbadosSlim93
12-02-2008, 06:40
Well I made it to the morning. My breathing is a little better, but I called my doctor and he said to come in and let him see what is up. I will be going in today and keep you all posted.

bane51031
12-11-2008, 19:52
How did you turn out ? When you are not feeling up to par lack of finances is no excuse not to seek treatment as a nurse I have seen the effects of the ones who waited for treatment...Could even cost you more in the long run not to mention your life if it turns out to be serious...

hychang
12-12-2008, 21:02
Glad to see you're seeing your doctor about this. Good luck. :smiley20:

Well I made it to the morning. My breathing is a little better, but I called my doctor and he said to come in and let him see what is up. I will be going in today and keep you all posted.

divingbuddy
12-13-2008, 07:16
Hope all goes well.

Once again, after reading this post, I am glad to live in Canada. When I don't feel right, I go to see the doctor. I don't have to worry about the expense of a doctor's visit or a trip to the ER (there is none).

Just my two cents...Cheers!

cummings66
12-13-2008, 12:32
I know he's still kicking, but I am curious what was wrong with him?

Lulubelle
12-13-2008, 12:45
Barbados, hope you are doing better. Only you know whether or not you can afford health insurance. If you don't have it available through your work, at least talk to an insurance person about what your options are. Most states have laws that create some affordable options, at least for generally healthy people (you are f.....d if you actually have anything wrong with you). You are young, and if you are generally healthy, you may find that there is an option that works for you.

Many people truly cannot afford health insurance (often because of preexisting conditions), nor do they qualify for Medicaid, etc. and I will withold my rant about this whole state of affairs. But some generally healthy people can afford insurance and don't choose to have it. If I see them paying a 400 dollar a month car payment and saying that they can't afford health insurance, I have to call their bluff. Get a cheaper car and get your health covered.

Some of the scariest, most unpredictable conditions, and most devasting conditions can affect young people who have been active and healthy. I should know, it happened to me. I had one year that cost over 100K when I was in my early 30s. I thank God that I had coverage.

Also, in the meantime, check into free clinics. My state has a free clinic in every county. They are crowded, There are limits as to the care that they can provide, but they certainly can see you and help you figure out if you need to seek more involved care.

And lastly, regarding your uncovered surgery, know that by law, any provider of health care can only report you to a credit agency if you DO NOT PAY ANYTHING. All you have to do to protect your credit is to call the provider/hospital and ask to arrange a payment plan. That might be 25 dollars a month, but if you pay it, they cannot report you to a credit agency.

Sorry if this is stuff you already know, I'm in healthcare, and I've just seen too many folks go down the tubes not knowing what their options were.

Lulubelle, passionate advocate of healthcare reform who is hoping no one will pounce on that topic as I am too tired to go there.

mrm777
12-13-2008, 21:55
And lastly, regarding your uncovered surgery, know that by law, any provider of health care can only report you to a credit agency if you DO NOT PAY ANYTHING. All you have to do to protect your credit is to call the provider/hospital and ask to arrange a payment plan. That might be 25 dollars a month, but if you pay it, they cannot report you to a credit agency.

Lulubelle
12-14-2008, 00:07

You know, I am not sure to be honest. And not ALL health care providers are required to do this. I suspect it applies mostly to hospitals that receive public funds or that provide indigent care. But it is always worth a call. I've had too many friends who have had problems when uninsured and had monstrous bills to contend with. Sometimes hospitals will right these off, but only after the person's credit it damaged and they have no hope of collecting. It is better to pay a small amount forever than to have this happen. Do know that they will ask for and be entitled to financial information if you need to establish a payment plan.

Thing that burns me up is that if you are insured, surgery x costs whatever the negotiated rate is. If you are not, then surgery x is exponentially higher. So the very people who can least afford a high bill are getting the highest bill.

I am thankful that I have never had an insurance gap, but on the behalf of others, it still gets under my skin.

Good luck!