PDA

View Full Version : Smiley faces

scubastud
12-02-2008, 11:53
It has been my long term stance that "Real men do not post smiley faces" but I sure see a lot of males here posting the little dudes here. I need an explanation, is it OK? When did it become OK? Does Mr. Norris know?
Maybe I am old school... but I still think it is kinda... well.. if this was the other forum I'd say pansy.. but we dont do that here!

I'm an open minded guy here but if we allow smiley faces what's next? Are we going to start typing "gawd" and "omfg" and "hawt"?

No Misses
12-02-2008, 12:51
Well, the easiest explanation is...Smilies let the reader know that the statement was made in jest. It is humor puctuation. Check out these two statements.

If you can't hack it, stay on the porch! - This is intended as an insult.

If you can't hack it, stay on the porch :smilie39: - This is intended to be a joke.

I see people taking offense at statements that were intended as jokes. The smilies are a way of making sure that people know when you are joking around.

scubastud
12-02-2008, 13:32
"hehe" works just as well, without the smileys. Gotta do better than that my friend!

Rileybri
12-02-2008, 13:37
"hehe" works just as well, without the smileys. Gotta do better than that my friend!

Hehe???? You have got to be kidding me, talk about pansy ass. I for one would rather see a smily face than "hehe" "giggle giggle" :smiley2:

scubastud
12-02-2008, 15:16

Hehe???? You have got to be kidding me, talk about pansy ass. I for one would rather see a smily face than "hehe" "giggle giggle" :smiley2:

OK that was really close to "flaming"... :smiley36:

FishFood
12-02-2008, 16:03
It's not "manly" to use smiley faces to get across what you'd otherwise not be able to get across via text... AKA... It's not "manly" to use logic? Come on... You're thinking like a woman. You know? W/o logic!

:banger:

Rileybri
12-02-2008, 16:38

OK that was really close to "flaming"... :smiley36:

thanks I try to push the boundaries just a bit......:smiley36:

sorry did not want to be misinterpreted

Aquatrax
12-02-2008, 17:21
pansy, douche, "a Rose by any other Name" -- Shakespeare

:smiley20::smiley5::smiley21::smiley32::smiley36:: smilie39::smiley19::smiley11::smiley29::smiley2::s miley13:

Romeo & juliet with Smilies, I think I'll go watch Oprah

WV Diver
12-02-2008, 18:02
Play nice gentlemen.

fisheater
12-02-2008, 18:36
As long as you don't dot your "I"s with a heart, you're man card isn't endangered.

emcbride81
12-03-2008, 21:15
Ok no smiley faces....what about....

:smiley11: the "My wife poisoned my beer" face?

:smiley19: the "awww that dog just died saving a man's life" face?

:smiley29: the "reading the words at the beginning of Star Wars" face?

:dunno: the "how could God take Princess Diana and Steve Irwin, but leave us Paris Hilton" face?

:003: umm...not really sure....

:smilygifs436:the "wow that was a hell of a party, and why did I dream of Snickers bars last night" face?

:SHOCKED:the "No officer I don't do cocaine" face?

or

:AR15firing: the "Plaxico Burress at a nightclub" face?

Rileybri
12-03-2008, 22:19

:smiley11: the "My wife poisoned my beer" face?

:smiley29: the "reading the words at the beginning of Star Wars" face?

:dunno: the "how could God take Princess Diana and Steve Irwin, but leave us Paris Hilton" face?

:003: umm...not really sure....

:smilygifs436:the "wow that was a hell of a party, and why did I dream of Snicker bars last night" face?

:SHOCKED:the "No officer I don't do cocaine" face?

or

well played sir well played. :smiley32::smilie39:

Daz
12-03-2008, 22:26

Daz says that from here on, the act of shooting oneself unintentionally shall be known as a Plaxident...

Diver Kat
12-03-2008, 23:13
:AR15firing: the "Plaxico Burress at a nightclub" face?Daz says that from here on, the act of shooting oneself unintentionally shall be known as a Plaxident...

LOVE IT!!! You get triple bonus smilies for that one!! :smilie39::smilie39::smilie39:

emcbride81
12-04-2008, 13:11
:AR15firing: the "Plaxico Burress at a nightclub" face?Daz says that from here on, the act of shooting oneself unintentionally shall be known as a Plaxident...

niiiiiiiiiice!!!!!:smilie39:

Skred
12-04-2008, 13:35

Daz says that from here on, the act of shooting oneself unintentionally shall be known as a Plaxident...

Sheer, freakin' genius!:fulle::SniperHeadShot:

SEMO Scuba
12-05-2008, 13:44
quote]Daz says that from here on, the act of shooting oneself unintentionally shall be known as a Plaxident...[/quote]

Now that made laugh out loud. Funny!!

BarbadosSlim93
12-11-2008, 21:36

LOVE IT!!! You get triple bonus smilies for that one!! :smilie39::smilie39::smilie39:

But that emoticon isn't losing several millions of dollars in contract money. Can we make one of those?

robjoubert
12-31-2008, 12:47

Shouldn't :smiley19: be "the airline lost my gear" face?

OR "I couldn't go diving today" face?

robjoubert
12-31-2008, 12:48
But that emoticon isn't losing several millions of dollars in contract money. Can we make one of those?

What about :bonk: OR :fit_old: or :toilet_claw: ???

nrembis
12-31-2008, 16:49
http://img3.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/adult/work4sex.gif (http://www.mysmiley.net/free-indifferent-smileys.php)

oddbod
12-31-2008, 17:03
As long as you don't dot your "I"s with a heart, you're man card isn't endangered.

How do you do that?

scubajane
12-31-2008, 18:22

OH YES!!!!! we are laughing our socks off in Pittsburgh.

IrishSquid
12-31-2008, 19:31

How do you do that?
If anyone has the answer to that, give up the MAN CARD! :028:

Black-Gorrilla
01-01-2009, 02:53

Shouldn't :smiley19: be "the airline lost my gear" face?

OR "I couldn't go diving today" face?

That happens to be the "we're out of booze already" smiley (is it wrong to call it a smiley if it doesn't smile or make someone happy??)

Black-Gorrilla
01-01-2009, 02:55

How do you do that?

you walk off a cliff :smiley36: <----- makes it not a flame... but a joke (haha i guess??)