PDA

View Full Version : Treasure!

spotteddog
08-18-2007, 19:44
Something ive always wanted to go do.....get me a little metal detector and go SCUBA treasure hunting...someone has to have a story?

ScubaToys Larry
08-18-2007, 20:24
The thing I get a kick out of... if you see something on land.. it's trash. In the water - it's treasure!

I know guys who have pieces of old bottles, chunks of metal, etc on a mantel... because they found it in the water.

But my best story? Here goes. I'm in Grand Cayman with a bunch of friends of mine. I go into town shopping for some stuff while they are napping, and find these old gold dubloons looking things... real heavy, and look very realistic. I buy up about a dozen of them.

So I'm leading them out to the north wall... long swim, and I know the area real well, and pick a big sand clearing, let them get ahead of me, then set these pups in the sand with just a little chunk hanging out of each. Spaced all around... Then we go out to the wall, and on the way back, I'm 30 feet above the sand... pause.. the their attention and point down... they go look and bingo... find a "gold dubloon!" They nearly kill each other digging around in the sand and find about 5 of the ones I had put there. I nearly die from laughter... but never tell them. They've got them framed in plaques on their walls...

Love it! :smiley36: 15 years now. Never told them!

chinacat46
08-18-2007, 20:37
LMAO Gee I hope they don't read this and kill you.

ScubaToys Larry
08-18-2007, 20:38

Good thought... I guess I'll go in and block their IPs.

NitroWill
08-18-2007, 20:47

A man with a solution for everything :smiley36:

Phestr
08-18-2007, 21:43
It's good to be king! Seriously, though, I'd still keep it even if I knew the story. Hell of a souvenir.

Fox
08-18-2007, 21:48
The thing I get a kick out of... if you see something on land.. it's trash. In the water - it's treasure!

I know guys who have pieces of old bottles, chunks of metal, etc on a mantel... because they found it in the water.

But my best story? Here goes. I'm in Grand Cayman with a bunch of friends of mine. I go into town shopping for some stuff while they are napping, and find these old gold dubloons looking things... real heavy, and look very realistic. I buy up about a dozen of them.

So I'm leading them out to the north wall... long swim, and I know the area real well, and pick a big sand clearing, let them get ahead of me, then set these pups in the sand with just a little chunk hanging out of each. Spaced all around... Then we go out to the wall, and on the way back, I'm 30 feet above the sand... pause.. the their attention and point down... they go look and bingo... find a "gold dubloon!" They nearly kill each other digging around in the sand and find about 5 of the ones I had put there. I nearly die from laughter... but never tell them. They've got them framed in plaques on their walls...

Love it! :smiley36: 15 years now. Never told them!

Bahahaha, that is superb!! :smilie39: Very cruel but still superb. :smiley36:

cgvmer
08-18-2007, 22:08
Oh the best treasure is a well planned and executed practical jokes.

chewyjr15
08-19-2007, 01:47
wow i would be pissed if i was them and i ever found out. they probably tell their kids how there treasure hunters! Good one

Charlotte Smith
08-19-2007, 09:09
I would really hurt you for doing that to me! I do have old budweiser bottles from way back but I still haven't figured out how to clean them up...any ideas?

ScubaToys Larry
08-19-2007, 09:14
I found this article:

Cleaning Bottles
----------------
I'm sure many of you have bottles that need to be cleaned. If there is
only dirt and debris in the bottle just wash it out with warm water and
if you need to get abrasion use rice, copper bb shot, or sand (swish the
water around inside). If there is very light hazing in the bottle that
won't clean-up try Muriatic Acid, let the bottle sit in a full strength
solution for several days - this won't hurt the bottle. A stronger
solution is Wink (rust remover) I would dilute this a little and don't