PDA

View Full Version : The Old Man and the Sea

Largo
12-04-2008, 16:54
From "The Old Man and the Sea"

He always thought of the sea as la mar which is what people call her in Spanish when they love her. Sometimes those who love her say bad things of her but they are always said as though she were a woman.

Some of the younger fisherman, those who used buoys as floats for their lines and had motorboats, bought when the shark livers had brought much money, spoke of her as el mar which is masculine. They spoke of her as a contestant or a place or even an enemy.

But the old man always thought of her as feminine, and as something that gave or withheld great favours, and if she did wild or wicked things it was because she could not help them. The moon affects her as it does a woman, he thought.

navyhmc
12-04-2008, 17:24
Self realization Largo??? :D

Largo
12-05-2008, 12:06
Best book, ever. 129 pages. Blood, death, sharks, struggle.

kong
12-05-2008, 13:14
I'll have to read it someday. Never had to read it in school. There are a lot of old classics that I can't believe they never had us read.

The first time I had heard about the Old Man and the Sea was on South Park.

Largo
12-05-2008, 14:00
It's awesome. It's also a very quick read. Hemingway doesn't bore you to death like other writers, with useless filler.

One caveat; when he uses the word "Dolphin" he is referring to the fish, not the porpoise.

kong
12-05-2008, 14:12
Good to know. All I picked up from South Park is that the guy catches a fish put doesn't get paid for it. Knowing Hemingway, there has to be more to it and it has to be good. Guess I know what I am doing for part of my vacation.

Largo
12-05-2008, 15:34
I didn't see that episode, but it sounds like something Mr. Garrison would say.

The book only takes a couple of hours to read.

kong
12-05-2008, 15:43
Garrison gets mad at his/her lover and makes the boys read the book and write an essay on it as punishment. They hire illegals to read the book, summarize the book, and write essays.

There is a misunderstanding. The illegals tell the boys what happened in the book and write letters to their esses. Jimmy is happy to get a letter from his esse.

I looked at amazon and it looks like it is around 100 pages. Nothing too heavy.

Largo
12-05-2008, 15:47
As opposed to Moby Dick. It's a great book, but there are like 30 chapters on the details of harvesting whales in the 1800s. Some chapters are great. Others literally read like an instruction manual.

Largo
12-05-2008, 18:35
So, should I assume that the only people who read books are me, Kong, and Navy H. Mc?

Come on! Blood! Sharks!!! Homemade Sushi!!!!!

DollFin
12-05-2008, 19:00
So, should I assume that the only people who read books are me, Kong, and Navy H. Mc?

Been an avid reader since I was 4, and yes, I have read the book in question - storytelling at it's best!

Largo
12-05-2008, 19:20
That's a guy's book.

Did the librarian let you take out a guy's book?

Hmmm. Let me noodle this for a minute...

Was the librarian a dude or a chick?

kong
12-05-2008, 20:25
This may sound really bad but I read more before college than I did once I started going back to school. Hopefully when I finish I will have more time to read for pleasure.

mm_dm
12-05-2008, 20:46

Nothing like the honor in struggle, death and defeat. Good work bringing a real book into The Arena, Largo. I haven't tried to talk about books here, that seems more for the gang on Scubadiving.com's board. Would be nice if the readers on this board could get together more.

scubajane
12-05-2008, 20:52
let's see....I read 'Moby Dick' and 'the old man and the sea" while I was in high school. so that was sometime last century.....Moby Dick was a very tedious read. remember I was in high school. I remember reading,"the old man and the sea' and being horrified when he...'urinated over the side of the boat' I guess I was more sheltered than I thought. I should read them again and get an adult perspective on the 2 books. :)

DollFin
12-05-2008, 22:44
That's a guy's book.

Did the librarian let you take out a guy's book?

Hmmm. Let me noodle this for a minute...

I guess what "pondering" is to Splitlip, "Noodling" is to Largo!!:smiley36:

(And I have also read A Farewell to Arms and countless other "guy books", so "noodle" that!) :P

Diver Kat
12-05-2008, 23:08
That's a guy's book. ??? Guy book??? Don't think so!! I also started reading at an early age ... still read a good 4-6 books a week when I can get to the library. (Used to read more but I hang out here instead! :smiley2:)

I've read James Michener, Leon Uris, a good amount of Hemingway (especially in school), some Grisham (not my favorite), James Patterson, Robin Cook, Tolkien, all of Clive Cussler (a big favorite!) ... I'll read almost anything from science fiction, history, romance, mystery, biography ... although I can't do horror .... read the Amityville Horror one Thanksgiving while cooking dinner and couldn't sleep for a couple of nights!:smiley5:

scubastud
12-06-2008, 02:22
Of course I read the book... Saw the movie too so that makes twice the man huh?
(is this where I would place a smiley face?)

Splitlip
12-06-2008, 07:36
Good to know. All I picked up from South Park is that the guy catches a fish put doesn't get paid for it. Knowing Hemingway, there has to be more to it and it has to be good. Guess I know what I am doing for part of my vacation.
Yes a bit more.
But I wish I had seen that SP.

Splitlip
12-06-2008, 07:42
That's a guy's book. ??? Guy book??? Don't think so!! I also started reading at an early age ... still read a good 4-6 books a week when I can get to the library. (Used to read more but I hang out here instead! :smiley2:)

Ah, hmmm..

"A man is never lost at sea."

"But a man is not made for defeat. A man can be destroyed but not defeated."

"He no longer dreamed of storms, nor of women , nor of great occurrences, nor of great fish, nor fights, nor contests of strength, nor of his wife"

Pretty "manly" by my recollection.

Doug B
12-07-2008, 19:28
Best book, ever. 129 pages. Blood, death, sharks, struggle.

Good book, but I wouldn't say the best ever. I've read the book, recently. Seems like there are like fourteen chapters that all basically say, "The fish and I are brothers, I will kill him, or he will kill me....oh, I am tired now, I must rest."

USF_Diver
12-15-2008, 22:09
I saw a old black and white movie of this when I was young, was a good movie also.

Doug B
12-19-2008, 22:20
.......The fish and I are brothers, I will kill him, or he will kill me....oh, I am tired now, I must rest......