PDA

View Full Version : Mares ABS buckles

DirtyWaterIL
08-18-2007, 22:55
I hate them. I want to fin the person who designed them and do mean things to them. I have hated them ever since i got them and today was the last straw. Even with a 5mm thick glove on i popped my fingernail halfway off trying to get the thing loose. New fin straps incoming.

NitroWill
08-18-2007, 22:57
Sounds like some spring straps are in order.. :smiley20:

Splitlip
08-19-2007, 08:45
I hate them. I want to fin the person who designed them and do mean things to them. I have hated them ever since i got them and today was the last straw. Even with a 5mm thick glove on i popped my fingernail halfway off trying to get the thing loose. New fin straps incoming.

I popped a fingernail in 2mm gloves.

More justification to spring for springs.

TAH 73
08-19-2007, 09:09
Uh oh.
I guess I am the only one who likes them.
I found the first couple of dives they are tough to snap open but after a couple of operations they get easier.
I can see how spring straps can work a little easier, but over regular straps never having to adjust your fins, or having to completely unbuckle them to remove your fins is awesome.

ScubaToys Larry
08-19-2007, 09:16
They have a new version on the new Raptor Fin (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=MaresRaptorFin) that seems to be a better idea. It still locks down, but there are tabs on the side you squeeze in to release the lock instead of just yanking and breaking a fingernail.

Buoyant1
08-20-2007, 07:46
Spring straps are the bomb! No muss no fuss just slip and rip!

torrey
08-20-2007, 08:41
I don't bother with the buckle on my Mares fins...just get it snug the first time and never mess with it again. When putting the fins on, stretch the strap just a tad to slide it over the heel. Easy on, easy off.

ScaredSilly
08-21-2007, 15:37
Best way to see a diver cry is to have a cylinder drop on their fin and break the little plastic buckle. Though I have them I always carry an extra complete strap with all the plastic bits.

Mmm Scuba
08-22-2007, 01:40
Doesn't that feel awesome?! Especially when your nails are nice and soft from soaking in salt water for an hour. And there really is no other way to open them. What's great is when you get a little sand in them and you lose a nail and it still doesn't open.

I don't even consider using the buckle on my Quattros anymore. I loosen them or just slip them on or off.

I considered spring straps but I think I'll just sell them. They make the top of my feet numb towards the end of a long dive.

thesmoothdome
08-22-2007, 01:48
I had the ABS straps on my Quattros and just swapped them out for a set of the Apollo C-straps. Sure made a hell of a difference. I actually want to dive my Quattros again. The ABS buckles were complete and total garbage IMHO.

divingbuddy
08-22-2007, 19:03
They have a new version on the new Raptor Fin (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=MaresRaptorFin) that seems to be a better idea. It still locks down, but there are tabs on the side you squeeze in to release the lock instead of just yanking and breaking a fingernail.

The new buckles come in the bag with the other Mares' fins as well (to give the diver the choice).

That said...I still put steel spring straps on my beloved Quattros.

If you bought the fins with the older style buckle (the ones you have to pull up to open) ask your dealer (or ST :smiley20:) for the new buckles.

Cheers!

cheebaweebie
09-19-2007, 11:51
I don't mind the ABS buckles on my quattros. After you use them enough they get easier to pop open. The real pain in the A** with them is when the lock is engaged on them and you try to open not nowing that. It gets frustrating. Spring straps I also own but on my quattros the part that holds on the post pops off when you take them off. Also I think mine are a little loose because the fins gave me terrible blisters. I went back to my ABS straps and solved the problem.

ls1mtz
09-27-2007, 14:05
I love my Volo fins but I do foresee some spring straps in my future.