PDA

View Full Version : I wish I hadn't spent so much money on...

Rhino
12-06-2008, 11:36
I am trying to compose a Christmas wish list. Ninety percent of the things listed so far are scuba-related gear, accessories. Basically, I'm trying to find ways to give ST some of my hard earned $$$ :scratchchin:

Anyway, I've had my OW certification since July. I own fins, snorkel, mask, booties, and a 3mm shortie. I'm not sure what to get next. Like most of us, I live on a budget and have to purchase gear gradually. However, I don't want to spend too much money on something that I REALLY don't need, OR, I don't necessarily want to purchase the "Cadillac" if I can get by with the "Nissan". Make sense??

Have you ever purchased gear that you wish you hadn't spent so much money on? If so, how would you have done it differently?

Please advise...

cgvmer
12-06-2008, 12:10
For me I decided I wanted to buy a BCD (wing/plate in my case) because I had trouble finding rental ones that fit comfortably. Since then I have purchased a Reg setup w computer. You must determine your priorities, many people will say buying a reg setup since it is so important as for quality any of the name brand manufacturers of regs are safe. If you plan to dive cold/deep/alternate gasses may set different standards for you on amount to spend... talk to ST or search on here for recommendation for a particular model you see...

Zenagirl
12-06-2008, 15:24
If you're looking for an inexpensive, but outstanding regulator (perfect scores in ScubaLab testing), look at the Zeagle Envoy. Yes, there are more expensive regulators on the market but you aren't going to find many better regs. My Envoy breathes as well at 133' as it does at 13' and it's been extremely reliable since I bought it almost 5 years ago.

blue37
12-06-2008, 15:39
Dittos to Zenagirl... I have the Envoy deluxe and octo...

Great!

chicken
12-06-2008, 16:25
Me three, I have the Envoy deluxe with Octo Z and could not be more pleased. It is a great regulator at a great price.

DMWiz
12-06-2008, 19:34
Have you ever purchased gear that you wish you hadn't spent so much money on? If so, how would you have done it differently?

Please advise...

I bought a a cheap $99 wetsuit that did not fit me very well, but I didn't know better. I just bought the first thing I saw at the shop during my OW class. I wish I had asked questions and knew what to look for before I bough it.

$99 isn't a lot of money, but it's not a good value for the 5 or 6 dives I got out of it.

I'm not sure what to get next.

I would look into a regulator set, the envoy or the inexpensive oceanic ST has on sale are a good choice. Maybe just take some of the money save and go diving somewhere really nice.

Wiz

scubajane
12-06-2008, 20:33
I have found that I did not spend ENOUGH on some items and I regret that. like buying a cheep safety sausage. buy the best one that you can afford and remember how much your life is worth.