PDA

View Full Version : Regulator Problem

blainer
12-06-2008, 21:35
Hi i purchased a set of used/demo Oceanic GT3/CDX5 regs from ST a short while ago. Today was the first day to try them in my first 3 open water dives. As soon as we hooked them to a tank and turned it on, the second stage started freeflowing. Being that the GT3 has an adjustable venturi? i just turned it until it stopped, but as soon as it stopped the octo (octo swiv magnet) started freeflowing. The instructor suggested shutting the tank off and then slowly turning it back on. IT was fine for about 10 seconds then started to bleed through the octo again. When we started our pool dives it would be fine as long as i was breathing through the first stage but as soon as i stopped using it either the second stage or the octo would start to bleed again. The instructor seemed to think that it was the first stage not being properly setup, but was unwilling to have a look at it. I dont blame him he had a course to teach. I switched to one of thier rental reg setups and finished the day. After our pool dives I spoke with the shop owner, they are not a oceanic repair shop, only mares and sherwood. Being that there is no local oceanic repair place within 150miles i'm not sure what i should do. Is it something that is fairly simple that i can adjust myself or will i have to send it back to ST's? It is fairly dissapointing as it says on the invoice that everything checked out ok. I am glad that we had a chance to test them before our trip to Roatan, but now i am worried about getting another non-local reg that i will not have the opportunity to test before leaving. ( We do not have a lds with pool to test) The place that we are taking our course at is a public pool 70miles away. Does anyone have any suggestions? thanks.

Sansho
12-06-2008, 21:51
Call ST and talk with them. They'll either tell you there's an adjustment or explain how to prevent the freeflow, ask you to send it back, or send you a replacement while you send that one back.

fisheater
12-06-2008, 22:34
Sounds like your instructor is right and there's a first stage problem with allowing the intermediate pressure to creep up too high. However, it's best to call ST and let them deal with it.

ScubaToys Larry
12-06-2008, 23:23
Yea, we test them all before they get out of here... IP, crack pressure etc... That doesn't mean something went wrong when it got aired up the next time. We'll take care of it, and we are in there on Sundays now from 11-4 central, or Monday - give us a shout, we'll get it back from you and get it fixed up and turned around instantly.

Zenagirl
12-07-2008, 07:55
Great reminder for all of us to check out our gear in the pool before going on dive trips!

We learned the hard way by having a reg free flow before a first dive in Hawaii. Fortunately we were shore diving that day, I had just taken an equipment specialty class, and could adjust the regs myself, so all was not lost. However, after that we now ALWAYS hit the pool about a month before we go on a dive trip to give us time to test equipment and deal with service issues without stressing.

Thanks for the reminder!!

plot
12-07-2008, 12:00
Get your regs annually serviced too, I was on the boat the second day of diving and my octo started leaking... took it to a diveshop that night and it was something that was worn down and would've been replaced if I had ever had the octo serviced. :icon_redface:

Luckily I had a spare reg so it didn't effect my dives.

awap
12-07-2008, 12:10
Get your regs annually serviced too, I was on the boat the second day of diving and my octo started leaking... took it to a diveshop that night and it was something that was worn down and would've been replaced if I had ever had the octo serviced. :icon_redface:

Luckily I had a spare reg so it didn't effect my dives.

Excessively frequent service (service errors and defective new parts) can produce more problems than they prevent. A seat or other seal can fail at any time or they may last tens of years. If you want to insure your dive trip against interruption by regulator failures, buy a spare set of regulators and take them on the trip with you. When it come to minimizing missed dives, a relatively inexpensive backup kit beats the best warranties any day.

maverick
12-07-2008, 13:46
It was mentioned 2 me that shipping a reg. could also lead 2 a problem.

Flatliner
12-07-2008, 13:53

Personally, this comment seems a bit self-serving. (assuming it came from someone with a vested interest in servicing regs locally) I don't see how shipping a reg could cause any more problems than putting a reg in a suitcase for a dive trip.

ST does my annual reg service for my regs, my son's regs, and my buddies regs. I recommend them to others without reservation.

susiediver
12-07-2008, 16:11
Hi i purchased a set of used/demo Oceanic GT3/CDX5 regs from ST a short while ago. Today was the first day to try them in my first 3 open water dives. As soon as we hooked them to a tank and turned it on, the second stage started freeflowing. Being that the GT3 has an adjustable venturi? i just turned it until it stopped, but as soon as it stopped the octo (octo swiv magnet) started freeflowing. The instructor suggested shutting the tank off and then slowly turning it back on. IT was fine for about 10 seconds then started to bleed through the octo again. When we started our pool dives it would be fine as long as i was breathing through the first stage but as soon as i stopped using it either the second stage or the octo would start to bleed again. The instructor seemed to think that it was the first stage not being properly setup, but was unwilling to have a look at it. I dont blame him he had a course to teach. I switched to one of thier rental reg setups and finished the day. After our pool dives I spoke with the shop owner, they are not a oceanic repair shop, only mares and sherwood. Being that there is no local oceanic repair place within 150miles i'm not sure what i should do. Is it something that is fairly simple that i can adjust myself or will i have to send it back to ST's? It is fairly dissapointing as it says on the invoice that everything checked out ok. I am glad that we had a chance to test them before our trip to Roatan, but now i am worried about getting another non-local reg that i will not have the opportunity to test before leaving. ( We do not have a lds with pool to test) The place that we are taking our course at is a public pool 70miles away. Does anyone have any suggestions? thanks.
I would return it get my money back...if you can...

chicken
12-07-2008, 16:52

I don't see how that could be true, like others I take my reg, octo, and computer on the plane with me. They have traveled extensively without a problem.

dannybot
12-07-2008, 19:28
If you got it from ST, you probably got the Viper octo with it. If it is the Viper, then they are notorious for freeflowing. Push the purge and it may stop, but sometimes they continue to freeflow a little until they are a in a few feet of water. If it is the Viper, just keep playing with it until you get it figured out.

maverick
12-07-2008, 19:39
Any package can B miss handled from any carrier. That's why U get insurance if property is dropped or damaged. But with a reg. U would never know if it was miss handled or dropped!!!!!!

blainer
12-07-2008, 20:12
I actually got an Octo swiv magnetic to go with it. It is not just the octo freeflowing though, the second stage was also. the weird thing is if you pressed the purge button on the second stage to bleed it, the octo would stop freeflowing. and it wasnt exactly freeflowing, just sort of bleeding, and it wouldnt start right away, it would take about 10 seconds for it to start. and if left it would slowly build until it was a full freeflow. I guess i'll Call ST on monday and see what i should do. Hope i dont have to pay for shipping. The worse thing is now i have kinda lost trust in mail order equipment. I guess i should have bought a reg that i could get serviced closer to home. I did not realize that the closest lds does not service all regs until we started our course there yesterday. Am i to believe that this is an unusual problem shipping regs? I suppose after i send it there and get it back i should difinately test it to be sure it is going to work before going to Roatan? thanks for all the replies.

On a good note we finished our CW dives for our open water cert today and it was a blast. I am really looking forward to our open water dives in Roatan, and then cutting the purse strings and going out on our own.

imasinker
12-07-2008, 21:00
blainer

Congrats on the certy!!! Your going to love diving. Sounds like Larry will look after you, and from what I heard will make it right, he atleast deserves that chance. I have seen new regs free flow and some blowing orings like crazy. Shipping products can sometimes cause things to get broken, just sounds like a crack pessure or something needs to be set up. Don't be discouraged. I know guys who have bought brand new equipment and had to send them back for repairs from many other shops and dealers. At least you found out before the trip and thats a good thing. Let us know how you enjoyed the warm water you lucky bugger!

Take care...

cummings66
12-08-2008, 08:45
The way regs are built with springs, shims, and small adjustments making bigger changes it's a wonder they don't go out of alignment more often. They're pretty tough I know, but there is always the possibility that a good solid whack could make things go south. I believe them when they say it was tested, and I believe it when they say shipping can cause problems. Maybe not every single time, but certainly over time a small percentage could develop trouble.

keyshunter
12-14-2008, 06:25
Blainer,
Oceanic had a high pressure seat problem in some of their regs and rebuild kits, and the CDX5 was one of the models involved in a recall. Your description is exactly how the CDX5 I owned acted. Fine one day, and freeflow the next. Mine went back to Oceanic for repair, with Oceanic paying the shipping both ways. I am sure that, if you ask, Scubatoys will do the same.

Sansho
12-14-2008, 22:09
Oceanic had a high pressure seat problem in some of their regs and rebuild kits, and the CDX5 was one of the models involved in a recall...

You can check the serial number of your CDX5 to see if it was involved in the recall at Oceanic HP Seat Retrofit (http://www.oceanicworldwide.com/dxretrofit/oceanic/)

tone
12-15-2008, 10:06
...8 days ago, problem resolved??? when're you going to roatan?

I actually got an Octo swiv magnetic to go with it. It is not just the octo freeflowing though, the second stage was also. the weird thing is if you pressed the purge button on the second stage to bleed it, the octo would stop freeflowing. and it wasnt exactly freeflowing, just sort of bleeding, and it wouldnt start right away, it would take about 10 seconds for it to start. and if left it would slowly build until it was a full freeflow. I guess i'll Call ST on monday and see what i should do. Hope i dont have to pay for shipping. The worse thing is now i have kinda lost trust in mail order equipment. I guess i should have bought a reg that i could get serviced closer to home. I did not realize that the closest lds does not service all regs until we started our course there yesterday. Am i to believe that this is an unusual problem shipping regs? I suppose after i send it there and get it back i should difinately test it to be sure it is going to work before going to Roatan? thanks for all the replies.

On a good note we finished our CW dives for our open water cert today and it was a blast. I am really looking forward to our open water dives in Roatan, and then cutting the purse strings and going out on our own.

blainer
12-20-2008, 03:59
Well, i called St's. I explained the problem i was having and he immediately figured I had the second stage venturi? too loose. When i explained what was happening, ( after adjusting the second stage) the octo still started leaking he suggested i should send the regulators back. Work was so busy i didnt get a chance to send them back until the 17th. Shipping cost me $29.00 and change to send them the cheapest way. Alberta to Texas...10 to 15 day delivery! Any faster and it was $100 PLUS! What was dissapointing was that he did not even offer to pay for shipping. Also he made it sound like it coulnt possibly be a problem with thier equipment, he made me feel like it was my inexperience that caused the problem, i admit that i am a total noob, just took my OW pool lessons, but my dive instructor dives hundreds of times a year in any conditions, and although he is an authorized mares and sherwood dealer he wouldnt try to fix my regs, stating that he wasnt Oceanic certified, and had never seen a valve like the dvt CDX5. I at first thought that he was just being a dick cause i didnt buy my stuff from him, but that is not the case. I am really dissapointed. I leave for Roatan on the 22nd of Jan, and I doubt i will have time to get the regulators back for testing before i leave, so i ordered a set of mares regs from that Lds, ( not really local, 65miles away) to take with me for my trip.I hate to badmouth st's but this is the second order i have made that came with a problem. With my last order st's took care of it, very satisfactorily, I guess i was hoping that they would crossship me another set. Or at least offer to pay for return shipping. I imagine that they will fix whatever is wrong with the regs and ship them back to me, but once you add the extra shipping and the extra weeks waiting i am not sure if it is such a good deal to order stuff as a Canadian. Well i guess i got my rant out of my system, I still feel that st's is a great place for deals, i just have not had a great time dealing with them. I will update you when i get my regs back.

mitsuguy
12-20-2008, 06:00

I don't see how that could be true, like others I take my reg, octo, and computer on the plane with me. They have traveled extensively without a problem.

I recently got a chance to tour a UPS facility... it is amazing that anything makes it anywhere unscathed...

I now have a whole new respect for packaging things that I am shipping.

drops, bumps, being stacked at the very bottom of a truck, moved multiple times over multiple conveyors and slides into different trucks, rail cars, etc...

we were warned to stay under the conveyor in case there was a jam on the conveyor, and if there was a jam and it wasn't cleared fast enough, that the packages would pile up and fall off.... fall off 15 feet or so to the ground... obviously this doesn't happen often, but it obviously does happen...

ScubaToys Larry
12-20-2008, 09:09
It is not possible for us to issue call tags out of the country - but we will refund your shipping without any problem... we just can't prepay it on our end when it's not in the US.

Really sounds like an IP creep problem, which would be the first stage, and the easiest answer to this is give a call, ask for Joe, we'll send out a new one, and you can ship the other back, and let us know what the shipping costs were and we'll refund it. You will be able to have the new one sitting at your door step in a few days. Just give a shout!

mrm777
12-21-2008, 00:40
" I leave for Roatan on the 22nd of Jan, and I doubt i will have time to get the regulators back for testing before i leave..."
Too bad you're dealing with this over the Christmas shipping time of year. My last order from ST was here in 2 days........it's nice living in Texas. (I have a backup set I haul on trips to save on grief/rental/servicing.)

keyshunter
12-21-2008, 06:31
I knew that Larry would come through for you.

chicken
12-21-2008, 08:13
I've only had one problem with a product purchased from ST. Joe and Larry made it right to the point I forgot there was a problem. Thanks for the great service and even better prices...

Will there be a after Christmas blowout sale to use my ST gift certificates on?

blainer
12-29-2008, 17:11
well i recieved my new regs today, and a refund for the shipping. I must say i am again impressed with the way ST's, specifically Joe and Larry, handled my problems. With any luck i will be able to test them in the pool this weekend. Big thanks!