PDA

View Full Version : Pride of Maui

Barnacle Bill the sailor
12-07-2008, 20:41
I was recently in Hawaii. Maui to be exact. The four of us deceided to try a trip with the "Pride of Maui". They had snorkel, snuba, and scuba. The girls could snorkel and the guys could dive. The boat was great, a 65 foot cat with 30 foot beam. The crew was friendly. We headed out for our first location. The divemaster explained that she did not get paid by the boat and lived on tips alone. Interesting. The boat rode great in some fairly big water. Everything was great until we got ready to dive and the divemaster advised the first dive would be "30 feet for 35 minutes". I asked where the 35 minute figure came from. "Captains orders sir" she stated. I told her that half a dive would not make me real generous. The guided dive was nice, but we were back in exactly 35 minutes. Second location. This dive will be 30 feet for 30 minutes. Come on, I said. Another diver expressed his concern. "Sorry" she said, "Captains orders". The guided dive was nice and we were taken to a shelf at 60 feet. The dive was over in 35 minutes. So we must have given her some concern. On the way back, she asked me four times for a gratuity. I told her I would think about it. I still am. The thing is EVERYTHING else was very cool. The crew cooked lunch on a huge barbie at the back of the boat between dives. Free drinks after the second dive. Great crew and boat. And it was not like they left when we were done diving. We stayed for snorkelers at least half an hour after each dive. I don't get it.

Zenagirl
12-08-2008, 07:44
The Pride of Maui is a snorkeling/tourist boat that offers diving...it's not a dive boat. Unfortunately, you didn't know that prior to going, but at least you enjoyed the other things the boat offered.

Did the DM show you any cool critters during the short dives at least?

Barnacle Bill the sailor
12-08-2008, 08:23
No, but she was very good at banging on her tank if anyone got more than ten feet away. She must have been new. All she wanted was to get back on the boat. $130. down the drain.

mitsuguy
12-08-2008, 08:48
Hard to say if that was her or the company... based on your info, it sounds (and would make some sense) that the company is the one that sets those times, not her, but its hard to say... as far as a tip, well, hard to judge as she has rules to follow, but, I would judge on how helpful and informed she was more than how much time she might have been allowed to spend in the water... personally, if given those requirements, I woulda jumped back in the water with the snorkelers at least...

cummings66
12-08-2008, 11:31
I think next time the lesson we've learned here is to ask how long the average dive is on their boat given an ample supply of air.

As to the DM not getting money except from tips, well, that's pretty common and well known to occur. DM's are expendable for the most part on things like that. They either do it because they like it, or they get discounts on gear, they're working towards a better thing. They're certainly not doing it to earn a living.

Zenagirl
12-08-2008, 18:10
I'd still be thinking about how much to tip the DM too based on everything you've said. ;)

We'll be on Maui in 2 weeks and will be diving with Ed Robinson's....where we'll dive our NDLs or tanks, depending on which comes first. :D

Barnacle Bill the sailor
12-10-2008, 08:57
The worst part is that you are on an expensive vacation with only so much time. You can not just stay an extra day to make it up. That is why I put it here, so others will know.

mitsuguy
12-10-2008, 12:02
The worst part is that you are on an expensive vacation with only so much time. You can not just stay an extra day to make it up. That is why I put it here, so others will know.

And it's great information... that way we will all know what to look out for if we ever make it there... It sounded to me like you attributed it all to the DM, and there is a possibility it was mostly her, but those attibutes also sound like some company rules... If I were that company and wanted to limit the dives to 30-35 minutes apiece, I think I'd make em deeper :)

Barnacle Bill the sailor
12-22-2008, 20:27
Just one last thought. I sent the company an email explaining what happened, especially the time limits. Not too critical, but questioning. They did not take the time to reply. Enough said? :smiley21: Bill