PDA

View Full Version : Why ST shouldn't have a Forum

RikRaeder
12-09-2008, 07:38
It's downright objectionable that ST has it's own forum. When I log in thorugh the home page, and see an add for gear I bought two years ago for $150 less than I paid...well. I just don't like it! No sir! I don't like it one bit. Who cares that it's Christmas or the item is being discontinued. I cry foul, Sir! Darned, stupid forum showing me the discounts now....

gNats
12-09-2008, 07:52
What they should do is place a Naah Naah next to the sale item just to taunt you.

nrembis
12-09-2008, 09:49
It's downright objectionable that ST has it's own forum. When I log in thorugh the home page, and see an add for gear I bought two years ago for $150 less than I paid...well. I just don't like it! No sir! I don't like it one bit. Who cares that it's Christmas or the item is being discontinued. I cry foul, Sir! Darned, stupid forum showing me the discounts now....

Im not sure how things are done in Japan, but here in the USA you are not forced to buy an item as soon as it hits the shelves. :)

cummings66
12-09-2008, 12:23
I don't know, here in MO we're forced to buy the new stuff right away, me thinks perhaps you've been breaking the law. Better keep mum on that there bub. Could be trouble ahead.:smiley2:

Gilligan
12-09-2008, 12:38
At least it's not like this AV product I'm dealing with... it's not only cheaper now but the firmware is of course got more features and worked out all the bugs. Why not just upgrade the firmware... well those that were lucky enough to be essentially beta testers and paid a premium now have to shell out another $40 bucks for the firmware, unless you were one of the later ones to purchase it.

Rileybri
12-09-2008, 12:44
it is exactly the same way in the skiing industry. buyers remorse and and buyer be wear is apropos I guess....

gNats
12-09-2008, 12:54
Well, when you are dealing with anything that is technology or high-performance based, you risk paying more for the product when it is first released. This is demonstrated throughout history.

Do you remember:

The original video cameras that had a battery the size of a house brick and weighed 12 lbs? My first one was over $1,000. Today you can walk into Best Buy and buy a video camera that weighs less than 3 lbs for $229.

High-performance sports equipment falls into this category also. Manufacturers are constantly re-evaluating their products to provide consumers with greater reliability, safety, longevity. As they redesign they change components which lower the overall cost to manufacture the product. Additionally, as they bring out new products, they have to adjust all price points, which includes lowering the prices of last year's product.

For those of us (yes, me included) that like to be on the cutting edge of product advancements, we risk paying more than the product's adjusted market value.

But, I do like being the first on the block with a new shiny thing!

joemamma
12-09-2008, 13:03
Ah, the cross we early adapters have to bear!

chinacat46
12-09-2008, 13:06
Yeah look at the price of HD TV's they have really dropped from when they first came out and will probably continue to do so. Not only that they are better then when they first came out.

RikRaeder
12-09-2008, 17:48
What they should do is place a Naah Naah next to the sale item just to taunt you.

Exactly!

RikRaeder
12-09-2008, 17:52
Im not sure how things are done in Japan, but here in the USA you are not forced to buy an item as soon as it hits the shelves. :)

Actually I'm referring to my Zeagle Flathead VI, a wonderful reg which ST is now offering at a heck of a price. [ST jingle here]
In MY country, we're never forced to spend money...except to give 7 Billion USD to the Fat Cat Financial Industry to help them out of the grave they dug themselves. Oh, sorry. MY COUNTRY is the USA.

You are wrong. Scuba Toys did FORCE me to buy the reg (don't think it had just come out though) with their great prices and wonderful customer service [ST jingle here].

fanatique
02-06-2009, 18:45
Yeah the prices ST offer are craaaaazy low compared to what I've seen at my LDS. There's simply no comparison. Me and my mates are in the market for wetsuits, and no points for guessing where our business is going. ;)

emt
02-07-2009, 22:45
Well, when you are dealing with anything that is technology or high-performance based, you risk paying more for the product when it is first released. This is demonstrated throughout history.

Do you remember:

The original video cameras that had a battery the size of a house brick and weighed 12 lbs? My first one was over $1,000. Today you can walk into Best Buy and buy a video camera that weighs less than 3 lbs for $229.

High-performance sports equipment falls into this category also. Manufacturers are constantly re-evaluating their products to provide consumers with greater reliability, safety, longevity. As they redesign they change components which lower the overall cost to manufacture the product. Additionally, as they bring out new products, they have to adjust all price points, which includes lowering the prices of last year's product.

For those of us (yes, me included) that like to be on the cutting edge of product advancements, we risk paying more than the product's adjusted market value.

__________________________________________________ ___________
Yes I remember my first camcorder $1,200 in Dec. 1986. It was so big. But I'm a happy guy I've got those memories of my 1st childs 1st Christmas. Well worth it.
My 1st computer hardrive was 8gb and that was the largest available retail from Gateway I think $1300. It's funny one of my college girls asked if all of her school notes could go on a 2gb sd card. I told her sure, it's 1/4 my original computer size of the harddrive. I love how electronics prices have dropped, no problem here & no regrets.

LRDWILDER
02-09-2009, 16:48
I think it would perhaps be better if you could list your own scuba gear.....what you purchased it for...and every time you log in it shows you its new value...sort of a kelly blue book for scuba gear...and as it gets older you can b*tch about depreciation and how you can't write it off on your taxes and how the govmt is to blame for this and that.

Just a thought :-P

Montana Diver
02-10-2009, 07:30

Do you remember:

Thank you to all you innovators for buying COOL stuff and then convincing me that it is so great and necessary that I need it, especially after the price goes down a little. I appreciate you so much that I am sending you all a payment for your help. It's in the mail.:smiley2:

I am certain that I will become one of you. I was a very good snow skier until a 20 year old patella fracture finally made me quit. The last pair of skis and bindings I bought ten years ago had a retail value of approx $1000. Were they worth it, oh yeah! The were the fastest slalom ski, good for a 5% lower course time on gates. Of course this was just as the parabolic skis were starting to become very popular. My expensive skis become worth little due to new innovation. Seems like I am trading one vice for another. Although we didn't have a cool skiing forum like this!

Already I am trying to figure out how to hide the price of the new toys I am looking at. It would be helpful if Larry would change the name to Lingerie and Things!:smilie39: