PDA

View Full Version : Nitrox On Boat dives.

SPLzero
12-10-2008, 10:21
My girlfriend and I will be going on a cruise ship we planned on doing a boat dive and shore dives in grand cayman. I booked a 2 tank dive and asked how much for nitrox they told me 15 each tank on top of the already included 2 tanks of air. I asked since our dive already comes with 2 tanks of air and we would pay an extra 15 each tank (which is how much they advertise for a rental nitrox for shore diving) If we could use the 2 tanks of nitrox for our deep boat dive and use the air that we would have gotten on the boat for our shore dives. they told me that the dive comes with 2 tanks and if i choose nitrox those are my 2 tanks. I guess that means I just paid 25 dollars a tank of nitrox since air is 10 and nitrox is 15.

Do alot of shops do this? I thought they charge you an upgraded in this situation they would charge me 5 dollars more since ive already paid for my air tanks.

DMWiz
12-10-2008, 10:44
Is this via email or have you actually called the op? It seems like a simple $5 upgrade per tank would be enough.

The reason I ask is because sometimes via email it's hard to communicate exactly what you want or need. In 2 occasions I have tried arranging trip details via email and can't get it straight until I call and speak with someone directly.

YMMV.
Wiz

SPLzero
12-10-2008, 10:57
i have not called but this was my e-mail

Let me explain I plan on doing a 3-4 Tank dive in the grand caymans the 2 tank boat dive ive signed up for then a 1-2 tank shore dive.
The boat comes with 2 tanks of air. On your website it says nitrox is 15 dollars a tank. If i buy 2 tanks of nitrox and I have 2 tanks from my boat trip. Can i use the nitrox for the boat and the 2 air for the shore dives?

this was her response

I have just spoken to the dive shop manager and he said that the dives comes with 2 cylinders and if you choose to have nitrox that will be your 2 tanks but unfortunately we can not offer you 2 air tanks when you get off the boat.
I am sorry,

that was all after she told me that nitrox was 15 dollars extra each tank on top of the dive package.

DMWiz
12-10-2008, 11:07
I'm sure that what you're asking is clear to you (even to me) but I would be willing to bet that there's something "lost in translation" if you know what I mean.

I'd pick up the phone. Or just find a different op in the island. There are many.
Wiz

mitsuguy
12-10-2008, 11:54
I, too, think someone is just not understanding what is being requested... try calling... :)

SPLzero
12-10-2008, 14:15
I am really sorry but there is nothing lost in translation. If you would
like to have Nitrox for your dives it is $15 us per tank extra irrespective
of what you paid for the dive. We can not offer you any free air tanks once
you finish your excursion.

her reply

Damselfish
12-10-2008, 14:16
Logic and simple math don't always play into these things. You can keep trying to convince them and maybe sort it out. But it's quite possible they understand what you're asking just fine, and it's just the way they do it because they can - no matter how little sense or how unfair it seems to you as the customer. They may just consider the air tanks they provide on the boat basically "free" as part of the boat dive and getting Nitrox tanks that they have to make sure get on the boat a totally separate thing. Especially when you're there for one day and not a week on a package (even though it would make sense to make you happy so you come back.)

If you're not getting anyplace, aren't set on this op, and aren't willing to accept the situation, try another place. You may run into the same thing though.

wheelman
12-10-2008, 14:25
I had to read her replies a couple of times but here is my take.... You have pd for 2 tank boat dive. If you want to dive nitrox it is $15 per tank extra charge per tank. Call it an upgrade if you will not a separate tank from your original purchase. Pretty common... although $15 sounds a little high for 11% more (if your lucky) O2.

Skred
12-10-2008, 14:43
I just did a couple of quick searches that seem to indicate that this is not unheard of in Cayman anyway.

One op listed it this way:

Air tank $12.00
Nitrox $15.00
Nitrox on boat package $12.00

The way I interpret that, you can walk up and rent a tank of nitrox for 12 bucks but that same tank will add $15.00 to the cost of your boat dive which you would assume would already include a $12.00 charge for air.

I don't understand the math. I guess that since it's their ball, they make the rules for the game.

pir8
12-10-2008, 16:32
I've seen this before in Cayman.
Never made sense to me for them to do business that way , but they do?

SPLzero
12-10-2008, 17:14
I canceled my reservation. Im going to just do shore diving I think. maybe spend the money I was going to spend on the boat trip on a trip around the island hitting up all the good shore dives.

neugierig
12-10-2008, 17:44
better that way. IMO, cruise ship dives are so-so. much better if you hook up with a local dive op on your own during the ship's port time.

just make sure you don't get left behind! :)

DMWiz
12-10-2008, 18:32
better that way. IMO, cruise ship dives are so-so. much better if you hook up with a local dive op on your own during the ship's port time.

just make sure you don't get left behind! :)

I don't think he ever planned to dive with the cruise and he did look up a local dive op on his own.:smiley20:

I canceled my reservation. Im going to just do shore diving I think. maybe spend the money I was going to spend on the boat trip on a trip around the island hitting up all the good shore dives.

If you have never been to Stingray City it's worth a shot. I wouldn't dive it, but it's a good time snorkeling the sand bar.

How much time do you actually have on the island... most of the cruises barely give you enough time for 2 dives and some sightseeing near the "port"

Wiz

SPLzero
12-10-2008, 18:50
we get in at 8am and leave at 4pm.

Ive looked into dive shops and since alot of people said don foster was a good dive company and they were the cruise shore excursion i figured id go with them.

ive also talked to 4 or 5 other dive shops. im still trying to decide if i should dive with neptune or just do a few shore dives.

mitsuguy
12-10-2008, 18:55
Grand Cayman? Within walking distance of the dock in Georgetown is a shop called Eden Rock... some amazing swimthru's within a minutes swim of the shore... We did two dives there, had a lot of fun, and still had 5 hours to go screw around afterwards... Cayman’s best shore and boat diving shop (http://www.edenrockdive.com/)

DMWiz
12-10-2008, 19:01
Have you been to GC before? If you don't know the island I would suggest you boat dive, unless you have some really reliable info on shore diving.

Don Foster is fine, don't sweat it too much you're supposed to be relaxing on your vacation.

Wiz

SPLzero
12-10-2008, 19:20
ive been looking into neptune to boat dive.

Im used to traveling and if I did shore dive it would be turtle, cheeseburger, and maybe devils grotto or sunset house.

Vacations are for adventures not relaxing :smiley20:

DMWiz
12-10-2008, 19:32
Vacations are for adventures not relaxing :smiley20:

It looks like you have your answer then:smiley20:

Be safe!

Wiz

Daz
12-10-2008, 20:35
Grand Cayman? Within walking distance of the dock in Georgetown is a shop called Eden Rock... some amazing swimthru's within a minutes swim of the shore... We did two dives there, had a lot of fun, and still had 5 hours to go screw around afterwards... Cayman’s best shore and boat diving shop (http://www.edenrockdive.com/)

Eden Rock/Devil's Grotto is/are a decent GC shore dive - not what I'd consider even close to the best though. I've done ER/DG a few times over the years and now only go there as a "first time on the island let's eval bouyancy" dive for those times that we take someone new. Yes there are some nice swim-throughs, but the hard coral is pretty broken up and the fishies are not nearly as abundant as most other GC shore sites. Over all ER/DG just looks tired compared to most other GC shore dives. It is however, easily accessible to cruise ship folks and those staying right in G-Town, but there are many other much better shore dives (with much friendlier shop personell as well).

SPLzero -Did you see my post on SB?

SPLzero
12-10-2008, 20:46
yea I did im talking with neptune right now and see what they say. Im really up in the air and can go either way. I dont want to pass up a boat dive if its going to be better then a shore.

ianr33
12-10-2008, 21:12
IMHO Eden Rock sucks

Sunset House is better.
Lighthouse Point or Turtle Farm is way better.

Doug B
12-10-2008, 22:31
I dove with Red Sail Sports at GC, when we stopped there on a Disney Cruise. Dove the Oro Verde and some other site.

Warmest water I ever dove in. I was wearing a 2mil shortie and was getting hot.

Fun dives. About 55 feet on the Verde, and similar on the other site. The dive boat was always within sight of the Disney Cruise ship too. I think the boat ride was ten minutes.

Shore diving right off the Cruise ship dock area too. I tried to get in a couple of shore dives - I had four hours before I had to be back on the ship.... but alas, I had no buddy, and nobody to buddy up with..... so they wouldn't rent me any tanks. Shame too.... the shore dive was about 30 feet from teh back door of the shop.