PDA

View Full Version : Did I rasie my kids wrong?

BuzzF117
12-10-2008, 16:33
My 15 yr old daughter has bugged me for two years to get certified and I told her she could get certified this summer and she announced she would rather take drivers ed then get certified. My son on the other hand wants to get certified rather then drivers ed but he can't dive because of his ears.

go figure

neugierig
12-10-2008, 16:40
sir, the solution is simple. your son needs to watch more chuck norris movies

imasinker
12-10-2008, 18:45
My 15 yr old daughter has bugged me for two years to get certified and I told her she could get certified this summer and she announced she would rather take drivers ed then get certified. My son on the other hand wants to get certified rather then drivers ed but he can't dive because of his ears.

go figure

Thank god she didn't ask for both...$$$$$$$$$$$$...lol

dannybot
12-10-2008, 21:41
I got my son certified two years ago, and he doesn't like to dive. He got his learner's permit this summer and within two days of getting back from a dive trip (where he skipped half the dives) he totalled the Suburban and some nice guy's F250 at the same time.... Don't waste your time and money teaching you kids anything!

Splitlip
12-10-2008, 22:02
My daughter is a waterwoman. She has been swimming since 2. Snorkeling since she was around 4. Surfing since about age 9, water skiing since around 12 and wake boarding since around 14.

Since she turned 10 she was asking to get certified. I never thought her ready until she turned 15. Same time she got her learners permit.
Now she dives on rare occasions with me. She loves it, but she is also in high school with a car. She has her organized sports, academics, social life which leave little time for the Scuba commitment.

No worries. Your daughter is a teenager.

cowgirldiver
12-11-2008, 09:29
My youngest son is right up there at the top of my dive buddy list-he watches out for me as much as I watch out for him (and sometimes I need it). I'm proud to say that as of yesterday, Oklahoma has a new licensed driver out there (but he's still not driving my car by himself.....)

shawnwill36
12-11-2008, 10:41
lol, thats it, trust him with your life but not with your car.

gNats
12-11-2008, 11:25
SImple solution.

Let your daughter drive, but only if she drives you to dive spots.

Tell her, as long as you have to hang out all day, you might as well dive with me.

Now you will always know where your car and daughter are. :smiley20:

3rdEye
12-11-2008, 13:40
15 yr old driving....scarey....

BuzzF117
12-11-2008, 14:22
SImple solution.

Let your daughter drive, but only if she drives you to dive spots.

Tell her, as long as you have to hang out all day, you might as well dive with me.

Now you will always know where your car and daughter are. :smiley20:

Or just put the keys at the bottom of the lake and make her find em!!!

cummings66
12-11-2008, 17:58
Now that is an idea who's time is right.

emt
01-21-2009, 18:48
Did I rasie my kids wrong? .................................................. ...............................
Nope, your giving them a choice.
Some of my kids chose the choices I had in mind for them and some did not. The actions and reactions will follow. That's life.

However, I do remind my kids of an important fact. Yes, you have your choices. And I HAVE MY CHOICES TOO. Of course I have more choices than they do at this stage of their life.

mm2002
01-27-2009, 17:50
My daughter is a waterwoman. She has been swimming since 2. Snorkeling since she was around 4. Surfing since about age 9, water skiing since around 12 and wake boarding since around 14.

Since she turned 10 she was asking to get certified. I never thought her ready until she turned 15. Same time she got her learners permit.
Now she dives on rare occasions with me. She loves it, but she is also in high school with a car. She has her organized sports, academics, social life which leave little time for the Scuba commitment.

No worries. Your daughter is a teenager.

Damn, you never let her do anything did ya! Cruel Dad! :smiley36:

iowdivnut
01-27-2009, 20:08
If you did I really screwed up with mine. She swam from the day she hit the water. I got her to try diving in a pool and she never was interested. She even took oceanography in high school and I still couldn't get her to try it again. I haven't given up hope. One of her coworkers dives and is working on her too. Wish me luck!

just add H2O
01-30-2009, 07:50
The old adage comes to mind... "you can lead a kid to water, but you can't make them dive" well it could be old. My kids all swam competitively all the way to nationals and even received swimming scholarships you think they want to dive...I think too much chlorine in the system stops the drive to dive or maybe it starts the drive to drive

scubajane
01-30-2009, 16:57
Hubby swam from a young age. Our son was in the water at 6 months of age our daughter at 6 weeks...they are both fish...quite a shock to us we thought we were having babies. I dabbled in water but not much until I married hubby. all 4 of us go whitewater rafting. our son was a river guide for several summers. both have been on swim teams. do they want to dive??? not yet. they are in their 20's and are busy with their lives and money is tight for them. I expect they will each try diving but not now. we are late bloomers in diving we didn't start diving until the kids moved out of the house. daughter said that we had a 'mid life crisis' mid life ...yes. crisis NO.

mksmith713
03-06-2009, 08:24
I have a 6 year old who's chomping at the bit to get certified.
I have no idea how I'm go to teach her how to use dive tables......:)

sarcher1
03-23-2009, 10:24
I guess I am just lucky twice over. I have been diving for about as long as my daughter has been in this world, 15 years. This last summer, she got her C-card! Since then we have logged 78 dives and she would like to take her rescue course this summer. After I first got my C card, my sister, then 15, really wanted to do dive as well. I signed her up (I am 14 years her senior) and she has been diving with me every since. Scuba has made an incredible bond between my sister, daughter, and I. The memories, stories, and laughter have completely enriched my life. I owe this all to a co-worker that taught Scuba. He had to almost force me to take his course. We have been best friends ever since :)