PDA

View Full Version : Aruba

scubasdaniel
08-19-2007, 06:31
Can anyone make any recommendations for diving in Aruba? We have just changed our plans from Grand Cayman for September do to Hurricane Dean.

427Dave
08-19-2007, 14:41
Can anyone make any recommendations for diving in Aruba? We have just changed our plans from Grand Cayman for September do to Hurricane Dean.

We go to Aruba each year. The diving is great there also. We dive with Unique Sports and have dove with them for 10 years. They are located behind the Raddison Hotel by De Palm pier. Here is their website:

http://www.visitaruba.com/uniquesports/

There are nice wrecks to dive and reefs. They go to all the places.

Have fun

H2O Skier
08-19-2007, 16:04
We're also going to Aruba after Christmas with a few friends. I've been encouraging them to get certified so they can dive with us. The type and quantity of diving will vary based upon their status. Whatever the case - I'm diving!

I've done a little reseach and have heard very good things about Clive at Dive Aruba (www.divearuba.com) (http://www.divearuba.com)/). You can find a number of dive reports and reviews on this operation and others over on ScubaBoard.

Let us know what you decide and be sure to post a report after your trip.

Have fun and be safe.

- Dave.

caribbean soul
08-19-2007, 18:08
I did some diving with Clive thought he was excellent.
He deals on a cash basis only. Also did some diving with
Red Sail Sports they were also good but I would choose
Clive first.

Jaymeany
08-19-2007, 18:30
I'll be diving there in feb. and i think i'm using these guys: http://www.scubadivers-aruba.com/index.html

Makai
08-19-2007, 22:46
Let me add another vote for Clive Paula at Dive Aruba. He runs a small boat (six divers max) and provides expert personalized service. Good dive guide and a freaking amazing diver. Not much sun protection on his boat, though, so don't forget your sunscreen.

thor
08-20-2007, 09:41
Aruba was great. Nice shallow wrecks. I loved diving with S.E.Aruba Fly n Dive. First class all the way. And they have a brand new boat with a head on it, for the pee in wetsuit averse. I enjoyed diving the Antilla and Debbie II wrecks the most.

rubberduck
08-20-2007, 11:08
I used Red Sail Sports alast time I was there and they were Ok but plan to use dive Aruba on our next trip. I have heard alot of good things about Clive on this and other boards.

emmagee
08-20-2007, 19:37
we were there several years ago and dove with, I think, Caribbean Divers. Compared to some other parts of the Caribbean, I didn't think the diving was great, but not bad either. My wife did her OW check-out dives there and and it was a great experience for her.

Jaymeany
08-20-2007, 20:02
are there any "must dive" spots? I am trying to plan my trip there in February.

thor
08-20-2007, 20:47
The Antilla is THE wreck in Aruba.

lrk1960
08-20-2007, 21:23
I would reconsider te Grand Caymans! I just left there and the diving was awesome! I left Sunday at 2 pm just before Dean was supposed to hit. Dean passed with the eye some 100 miles south. I think you may find conditions there not terribly disrupted and prices at bargan basement as they try to get tourists back.

I just checked and everything held up pretty well on the Islands.

Just a thought!

Jaymeany
08-21-2007, 08:42
how far in advance should you make a reservation for a charter like dive aruba? anyone ever use mermaid sport divers?

Mooosse
09-10-2007, 05:24
I will be in Aruba in September (Divi), looking at diving with Pelican, and reccomendations for a wetsuit (mil) I am thinking about just wearing a shorty, but a friend was just there and he said there was a lot of coral to bump into...

thor
09-10-2007, 10:35
I personally wouldn't do a shorty. You are going to be diving mostly wrecks. Also fire worms and scorpian fish in the area, so a little extra protection never hurts, just in case you bump into coral, or a rusty piece of metal.

tarheeldiver
09-12-2007, 20:22
another vote for Clive and I loved diving in Aruba
greg

427Dave
12-09-2007, 19:55
how far in advance should you make a reservation for a charter like dive aruba? anyone ever use mermaid sport divers?

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. Mermaid Divers are sorta on shakey ground. They have been in and out of business. Had their teaching certifications pulled, I am told. Also some harassment problems with female divers, I am told. I did use them back in 1998 for a couple of dives, then started using Unique Water Sports since then. Unique also bought out Pelican last year. They are great and have Nitrox.

adv_diver1
12-09-2007, 21:34
My boss just got back from Aruba and said it was the BEST place he has ever vactinoed.... he goes to alot of cool places...

Sorry Natatlie Holloway incident seems to have tanted the area he said.

Mooosse
12-24-2007, 07:48
Just returned from Aruba and dived with Unique Sports - was great!! Antilla was awsome as well - Stayed at the all inclusive DIVI ARUBA - also great. Company would pick you up for all dives and dropp you back off afterwards - were realy great!!

loudgonzo
07-07-2008, 23:11
Just got back from a night dive with Clive on the Sonesta airplane wreck, Incredible!! Did the pilot wreck and a drift earlier today with Clive also.

Clive runs a great op and along with others, recommend him highly.

Dive Aruba - Scuba Classes, Dive Trips and Equipment Rentals (http://www.divearuba.com)

BBruton
07-08-2008, 08:57
May be too late for recommendations, but here's mine anyway.

I used a small outfit called Native Divers. The owner is Romeo Cruz and I thoroughly enjoyed my dives with them. Small boat, four divers max. The Antilla was good, we dived on a pilot boat that was the best wreck dive though I think. We used Pelican the first dive there and I wouldn't use them again. Cattle boat all the way, plus the Jane Sea wreck is just a pile of metal which is the dive site we were on.

I dove in swim trunks and a tee shirt no problem.

BKB

Carlos
07-08-2008, 11:03
A most dive site is the antilla wreck (400+ feet)

thor
07-08-2008, 11:20
A most dive site is the antilla wreck (400+ feet)

400+ Feet?

The Antilla wreck lies at about 50-60 feet. Perhaps you mean the length of the wreck? According to the stats, the Antilla was about 397 feet. Part of it actually lies out of the water.

loudgonzo
07-08-2008, 17:08
Unfortunately, the Antilla was not on the dive schedule yesterday, which was the only day I had to dive. But the pilot boat and the Sonesta are fantastic wrecks, the Sonesta will take you by surprise when you come up on it....

427Dave
09-14-2008, 14:02
Headed back again. Will dive with Unique Water Sports again. Will be there November 8 thru 15th. Anyone else going to be there?