PDA

View Full Version : First foray into UW pictures

Lulubelle
12-12-2008, 12:02
Hi all, I've read lots of good threads about selecting camera equipment. But I'm not there yet. I'm still so enthralled with what I am seeing underwater that I don't want to spend too much time futzing around with a lot of stuff. So the question that I am debating is whether or not I just want to get a housing for my point and shoot digital (a canon SD something or the other) or buy a camera made for UW photography. Camera guys will tell you that a regular camera plus housing is a better camera for the price. Scuba guys the opposite.

Also, is there a low brow strobe that isn't too big of a pain to carry for those of us who don't like having a lot of stuff in tow? My understanding is that the color will blue out without it?

For those with gobs of technical expertise, I am not there yet, but do need your advice on my simple questions. Just got my first digital point and shoot last year.

DevilDiver
12-12-2008, 12:19
If you are comfortable with the point & shoot that you have and you really just want to take a few pictures you can show to friends and family I would just try to pick up a housing for your current camera.

You said you got this camera last year so there should be a housing still available. A lot of the housings for the standard cameras do not stay on the market that long due to how fast point & shoot cameras are dumped on the market.

I would try the camera out without the strobe to start off and if you want to go further then you could consider if you like what you have or upgrade and add a strobe (or two). If underwater photography is not your thing then you do not have that much invested.

If you think this is something you really want to get into then you really need to ask yourself if you are happy with the photos you are getting from the camera you have now or would you want to look at upgrading to a system that will take you down the road with U/W photography.

MSilvia
12-12-2008, 12:21
Here's one scuba guy that thinks getting a housing for your existing camera is the best way to go... at least as a beginner in underwater photography.

Lulubelle
12-12-2008, 12:56
Thanks for the good advice. I think this MIGHT be something that I get into actually, but as a newer diver, I think my diving needs to be mostly about diving for now. I've seen too many people doing stupid stuff while they were futzing with their camera equipment under water.

I was almost a marine biologist and every time I dive I feel like a little kid whose mouth would be open in awe if there weren't a regulator to hold on to.

Lulu

DMWiz
12-12-2008, 13:58
The line is definitively blurring between dedicated uw digital cameras and regular digital cameras used to take photos underwater.

Anyone who's serious (more than a hobby) about taking pictures probably uses a camera with a housing just for the flexibility and options of DSLR cameras, while serious hobbyist my opt for the all in one approach of the uw digital camera for its' simplicity.

I think the choice really boils down to what your goal in taking pictures is... For me, my wife and kids don't dive yet so I choose to carry a reefmaster mini to document what I see underwater sometimes so I can share with them, but don't really spend much time at it.
I did get 2 of my pictures posted in the Sealife gallery which is kind of cool.