PDA

View Full Version : Traveling w/bail out bottle

Specmac
08-19-2007, 07:22
I have an H20 6cuft Extra Air bottle. I've been told if you remove the valve/regulator you can take the bottle on airlines. Is this true, do you need to notify the airline or any other special procedures or do you just pack the cylinder in your luggage?

cummings66
08-19-2007, 07:59
I would call the airline I meant to use and ask them, things change and sometimes it's day to day.

namabiru
08-20-2007, 10:19
Or have a look at this:
http://www.scubatoys.com/store/joelarry/flying_with_scuba.asp

Not that getting someone from the airline on the horn isn't a bad idea, but keep in mind that you may get someone who:
1. Has no idea what Spare Air is to begin with;
2. Has no idea what the rule is;
3. Will just say 'no' to get you off the phone quickly rather than ask someone for you because they were about to go to lunch.

georoc01
08-20-2007, 13:24
On my last couple of trips, I have seen people do this without a problem. Like you said, you need to take it apart first and then get your dive op to fill it once you are there. Realize that some of them don't have compressors on site, so you may want to contact them prior to your trip to find out how to get it filled.

NitroWill
08-20-2007, 13:32
Or you can invest in a whip to fill the pony from your main tanks :smiley20:

It's a good piece of equipment to have regardless..

namabiru
08-20-2007, 13:37
I think you just take it apart, then as was suggested, have a copy of the rules printed out in case you get a particularly gung-ho Walmart Security Reject who qualified for his position by vocal volume, not knowledge. Then you can point at them and say 'see?'

RobT
08-21-2007, 03:07
I have traveled with a 19 cf pony with no trouble at all. I take the valve off the bottle, put it in a seperate bag, cover the opening of the bottle with a plastic bag held in place by a large rubber band. I then leave a note with it to please put the cover back as this cannot become contaminated. They always check it out and leave a note saying it was inspected. So far they have always put the cover back in place also.

Airlines in general are becoming a pain in the a$$ lately, so I'd check with them first. The TSA screwed things up badly and now the airlines are becoming even more picky in the name of security. The allmighty George is all it is really about. I don't think you will have a problem with a tiny little bailout like that though. A 19 cf pony is within what is allowed and may be a better idea.

Later, Rob.

wxboy911
08-21-2007, 07:17

Where can I get a "Whip" to fill my pony? Got a link or an idea? Thanks for the help.

ScaredSilly
08-21-2007, 15:09
1. Read the TSA rules and take a copy with you:
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/compressed_gas.shtm

2. Ask for your bags to be inspected in your presence.

3. Do not tell the airline what is in your bagage, unless you have a $100 to blow (almost all airlines have such rules):
http://www.delta.com/traveling_checkin/baggage/special_baggage/fragile_bulky/sporting_goods/index.jsp#scuba

4. I would not invest in a whip just for filling a pony when you travel. I have never had a shop bulk when I tell them I just flew in and emptied it for the flight (Of course I do own a whip and can also inspect cylinders). In fact only once did a shop make me pay for the fill. Most do it for free as I was renting cylinders for the day or staying for a weeke to dive.

http://www.salvodiving.com/fill_accessories

mike_s
08-21-2007, 17:21

Where can I get a "Whip" to fill my pony? Got a link or an idea? Thanks for the help.

Seeing how he's have to use a rental tank when he go to the destination to fill-whip off of, he'd just then run into two tanks that aren't all the way full.

Granted though with it being only 6cf, then it'd only kill about his AL80 down to about 2783psi by doing a transfill.

Since he'd have to go to a shop to get a rental AL80, why not just have his pony filled there instead of investing in and having to carry on travel a transfill whip?

namabiru
08-21-2007, 17:56
Since he'd have to go to a shop to get a rental AL80, why not just have his pony filled there instead of investing in and having to carry on travel a transfill whip?

You know, that's not a bad idea either, since Specmac's planning (I"m assuming) to travel soon. That way Specmac wouldn't have to worry about making sure a whip arrived in time, etc.

However, for home diving, the whip sure could come in handy, as Nitrowill correctly pointed out.

jeraldjcook
08-23-2007, 20:37

There is a good chance if you take in an unpressurized tank, they're going to want to VIP it. Not a huge deal but perhaps unnecessary.

terrillja
08-25-2007, 16:45

There is a good chance if you take in an unpressurized tank, they're going to want to VIP it. Not a huge deal but perhaps unnecessary.

Also check your fill location- I knew someone who had a tank filled from a compressor intake that was next to a paving job, he thought it would be properly filtered, and it wasn't. I personally have an Apollo BioFilter, which gives my air hydration, and has a carbon filter to make suspect air more safe. I wouldn't dive without it.