PDA

View Full Version : instadry

jerdr1
08-19-2007, 08:28
Does anyone know anything about the instadry suits. They do not feel very durable, has anyone used them in rocky areas. I am afraid to buy one and have it shread instally.

somewhereinla
08-20-2007, 18:25
I heard good things about them... The are difficult to put on and off...

CompuDude
08-20-2007, 18:41
I have one. I like it a lot, but no, I would not recommend it if you are tough on your suits and constantly rubbing against sharp rocks. The coating used to help it dry fast, in place of nylon, is not as durable as nylon. You'll do better with a standard nylon-covered suit.

THT98
09-08-2007, 00:19
I had an Insta Dry suit, and had some problems with it so I no longer own it. First let me say that I thought it was an awesome suit for warmth, comfort, and looks. However, the kneepads on my first suit fell apart as well as some seams pulling apart after a few dives. It was fixed, had problems again, so was then replaced. The replacement had several problems with the seams pulling apart as well.
While I think they are cool suits, the quality didn't impress me. I'm bummed because I wanted it to work out, and it did dry very quickly.

WV Diver
09-08-2007, 07:19
I opted for the hyperstrectch cause I'm too poor to spend the big bucks for the instadry. Sounds like I lucked out. I like the hyper but there are some piling issues with it when it gets around velcro.

Kidder
09-08-2007, 09:09
I hear you on the velcro bit. You have to be careful with the neck. Insta dry seemed like a gimmick to increase the price.

Xspect
09-08-2007, 09:52
everyone I see wearing an instadry. They seem to be falling apart and dont look very comfortable. But I never tried one on myself

Aussie
09-08-2007, 10:22
My mate has one and he too said they are great to dive with and dry very quickly. But had issues with seams coming apart and he ripped a big hole trying to put it on.
I have a few henderson semi-dry 5/7mm and find them a great suit and I love the built in hood. The gold core need special attention when putting on as you can put rips into them easierly. I put my on in the shower or in the water.

Aussie

Kidder
09-08-2007, 11:08
Ah the water lubricates so it doesn't catch on you. A good idea

Aussie
09-08-2007, 17:06
Ah the water lubricates so it doesn't catch on you. A good idea

And you dont pull the hairs out of your leg when you put them on wet.:smiley20:

Aussie

WestTnDiver
09-09-2007, 14:31
I also had/have one. The first lasted 57 dives till the seam in the crotch gave way. It was replaced. The second lasted 65 dives with the same problem. This one was repaired. I suggested they reinforce key seams with fabric like they do in some of their other suits. The told me I had the wrong size - bull. The repaired suit lasted 40 dives came apart in the same place as well as having both knee pads come apart during two subsequent dives. It went back to ST who replaced it with the new Pinnacle Marino hyperstretch. The Instadry was a love/hate relationship from the get go. Nothing I've had has been as warm or as hard to get on. I had to wet down the inside of the suit and my arms & legs to get it on. Otherwise it stuck to skin like glue. I started using some stuff called SuitJuice which a dive master in Bonair had. It made getting in and out of the suit easier. I've had several hyperstretches which go on easy but after 50 or so dives loose their ability to keep you warm. I went from 6lbs of weight on a 3ml hyperstretch to 12lbs on the 3ml Instadry.
As an aside, after trading the Insta dry for a new Pinnacle and thinking ST had treated me right I was surprised several weeks later to find my Instadry repaired once again and returned to me by ST! Guess I'll keep it for those trips where the water will be in the cold upper 70's.

RECDiver
09-09-2007, 21:05
I have had an instadry suit for 15 months. I have over 100 dives on it in fresh and salt water. It is easy to put on, but very hot in hot weather. I have not had problems with wear and tear on the suit, but on the instadry booties. I have had to Aquaseal one bootie this summer because the sole was coming loose.