PDA

View Full Version : Fat burn exercise easy on the knees?

DarinMartell
12-16-2008, 00:10
Couple of years ago I got into a good exercise routine.

Running / walking
jumping jacks
push ups
sit ups
some kicks and punches on a heavy bag
curls

I did really good for about 4 months even after my knee started hurting. Soon I could barely walk on it. By the time the pain was gone I was out of the habit and never got back into it.

Now I am almost back to the weight I was when I started. I want to get back into the habit. I know with my knee (it still flairs up) the kicks and jumping jacks are out. I have some exercises I found to do with my curling bar that are supposed to be good for fat burning. Do you have any exercises you would suggest that would be easy on the knees?

mobeeno
12-16-2008, 00:27
Couple of years ago I got into a good exercise routine.

Running / walking
jumping jacks
push ups
sit ups
some kicks and punches on a heavy bag
curls

I did really good for about 4 months even after my knee started hurting. Soon I could barely walk on it. By the time the pain was gone I was out of the habit and never got back into it.

Now I am almost back to the weight I was when I started. I want to get back into the habit. I know with my knee (it still flairs up) the kicks and jumping jacks are out. I have some exercises I found to do with my curling bar that are supposed to be good for fat burning. Do you have any exercises you would suggest that would be easy on the knees?
For me cycling and swimming is easier on the knees than jogging or running.

mitsuguy
12-16-2008, 05:34
swimming... best single workout you can do, and it's 0 impact...

JimHar99
12-16-2008, 06:49
I have a bad back and my doctor recomended swimming. I was swimming about 3-4 times a week, but since I started a new job last September I haven't been in the pool. I think my New Years resolution will be to get back to the pool 2-3 times a week.

DarinMartell
12-16-2008, 07:16
I would like to swim but I work out at home. So until April (assuming I loose enough to fit into the 7mm by then) I am dry. When the thaw comes I can ad one or two days of swimming at the beach.

Lulubelle
12-16-2008, 08:06
I would like to swim but I work out at home. So until April (assuming I loose enough to fit into the 7mm by then) I am dry. When the thaw comes I can ad one or two days of swimming at the beach.

I hear you friend, I used to run 30 miles a week so my knees aren't the best either. Get out the door and Go find a pool, YMCA, etc. There is an aquatic center/dive shop here that will sell a pool membership for 50 dollars a year. Rather affordable and doable for just about anyone.

I now hike, don't know if you can handle hiking. But we have great parks here and a 6-8 mile hike is quite the fat burner. I have to use trekking poles for the downhills.

Lastly, I bought a recumbent bike for home, and dumbbells. The bike is the only thing that I can always do no matter what hurts. You can do a good routine where you are basically doing intervals with your strength training stuff which will keep you burning fat the whole time.

I'd have that knee looked out. Sounds inflammatory, in which case you need to find out what is going on.

Good luck.

L

fireflock
12-16-2008, 08:34
Bike - spin at a higher number of RPMs (turn your legs faster) instead of pushing really hard at a slower rate. Bike fit is important to keeping your knees in good shape, but any decent shop (or a book at the library) can get you set up.

waytooslow
12-16-2008, 10:01
Elliptical and Stationary or actual biking works for me, I have a detached ACL in left knee which precludes me from cutting sports (though I get to play some while wearing the 2000 buck CTI brace) - Swimming is great as said above as well.

3rdEye
12-16-2008, 10:56
incline walking on the treadmill is fairly low impact

otherwise, like was already said elliptical or the stationary bike, or maybe the rowing machine. Swimming or pool running would be great as well.

chicken
12-16-2008, 11:52
The spin class at my local gym took care of all my knee problems. I am so worried about trying to breathe for the entire hour, my legs are an after thought. I run one to two days a week now and spin three days. I also found participating in the group fitness classes at the gym helps to keep me motivated to continue.

lucidblue
12-16-2008, 13:39
Do you know what is wrong with your knee?

You can try taking Glucosamine & Chondroitin to help with cartilage issues. Also, make sure you are stretching properly. I have been able to keep my workout unaltered since finding out what was wrong with my knee; having a few therapy sessions to learn stretches and a couple additional exercises; and taking glucosamine & chondroitin. I am able to do high impact cardio and I can do squats, lunges, and stiff leg deadlifts, etc. Sometimes it's just a matter of making slight modifications to how you are doing an exercise or even getting better sneakers.

Skuttle
12-16-2008, 17:44
I've had surgery on left knee twice ( reconstructive) and acl/medial and miniscus repair on right. I can manage the stairclimber which is not so bad on level 4.

Also, like lucidblue mentioned, new tennis shoes. I was trying to do the treadmill, but the pounding was really killing my knees. I invested in a new high quality tennis shoe with shock absorption in them and WOW what a difference they are making.

DarinMartell
12-20-2008, 15:24
Thanks for all of the ideas, I think I will try a little of everything so I don't get bored. Got 3 workouts in this week so far and everything is fine. I wish I had access to a indoor pool but my local Y isn't very nice and at $60 a month for a family membership I would rather buy more equipment.

tndiverdude
12-28-2008, 12:09
Getting old is like that, ankles, knees hips.. sigh.
Mini golf, bowling, swimming or water aerobics, sit tight by simmons for people with bad knees is really good.
Pilates on a cushion mat is great no strain at all! You coul dtry power yopga no strain on knees just lots of stretching.
jimmy

Lulubelle
12-28-2008, 12:29
Do you know what is wrong with your knee?

All of this advice will not be helpful to you unless you know what you are working with. Go have a qualified person take a look at your knee (ortho pod, rheumatology). The fact that your problem comes and goes concerns me and could mean that it is inflammatory in nature. What is your age?

I have chondromalacia and a little bit of degenerated cartilage from many years of running. Finding out what I was working with was the first step.

Repetive things in the gym (machines, isolation exercises) seem to create a real issue for my knees. I had assumed that certain things were not doable for me (lunges, squats) until i started working with a trainer who has me doing all sorts of nutty things including the above things that I thought I couldn't do. He does a wide variety of things and does only whole body movements which help to reduce the strain on any one area and IMHO, provide better overall strength. I also use trekking poles while hiking for the downhills as the knees get unstable going downhill.

Very good suggestions for you in this thread, but I'd recommend going back to the part where you find out exactly what is wrong. For me it was 3 simply xrays and an exam that told the story.

I'm with you that strength matters for diving and makes you a better diver. Good luck.

Rockhound76
12-29-2008, 14:25
What Lulu said...

Once the issue is found and if you get the go ahead, cycling and spinning are good cardio workouts that are easy on the knees. I spin 4-5 days a week, lift 2-3 and do long distance cycling on the weekends (65-110mi.)

You still need skeletal stress to minimize bone loss as you age, so these do not sub for lifting weights or light impact work. A good trainer, especially one used to working re-hab, can set up a program for you.

I have a terrible lower back (L5,L4), made worse by the fact I'm overweight (go figure. I'm married to a coonass who loves to cook). With a trainer, I had no problems with very heavy weights on the leg press and extensions and was working on a Roman Chair with a plate weight (for my back) until I had to cut back for a different program.

These days, if I ease off on the workouts, my back problems will flair up. The same rule may apply for knee problems, but that depends on the problem. Only a pro can advise you on how to proceed or even if you should.

DarinMartell
12-29-2008, 23:53
Thanks again for all the suggestions. Here are my stats;

36yrs old (today in fact)
5'11"
overweight (230) however this question started because I am re-starting the diet and exercise regiem and want to hit 212 by May 1st. I would like to get down too 200 but I think 212 is a healthy goal and 205 - 210 is realistic.

I mentioned it to my Dr. and he really did not seam concerned. It is normally ok but when I put lateral pressure on my left knee it flares up. The other night during a snow I was pulling my boys around the driveway in the sled. I forgot about the knee issue and would pull them fast then make a quick stop and pivot to swing them around. After an hour of that my knee was hurting and it stayed that way for a couple of days.

Lulubelle
12-30-2008, 00:35
Thanks again for all the suggestions. Here are my stats;

36yrs old (today in fact)
5'11"
overweight (230) however this question started because I am re-starting the diet and exercise regiem and want to hit 212 by May 1st. I would like to get down too 200 but I think 212 is a healthy goal and 205 - 210 is realistic.

I mentioned it to my Dr. and he really did not seam concerned. It is normally ok but when I put lateral pressure on my left knee it flares up. The other night during a snow I was pulling my boys around the driveway in the sled. I forgot about the knee issue and would pull them fast then make a quick stop and pivot to swing them around. After an hour of that my knee was hurting and it stayed that way for a couple of days.

PM ed you. And Happy Birthday!

Foo2
12-30-2008, 08:57
I also have chondromalacia. This may sound kind of crazy...and juvenile...but consider getting a hula hoop. It's a GREAT workout!

Lulubelle
12-30-2008, 09:23
I also have chondromalacia. This may sound kind of crazy...and juvenile...but consider getting a hula hoop. It's a GREAT workout!

Nope, sounds like the perfect thing to develop the stabilizing muscles around the knee.

OK, NO ONE is allowed to jump on this next one...split...mark...

Doing any exercise while squeezing something between your knees is also great. Ball squats with a medicine ball between your knees, leg presses the same way, horseback riding, anything that makes the inner thigh work. Pulls the kneecap back into the center when it wants to go out.

I want pictures of Darrin hula hooping.

kjvander
12-30-2008, 10:35
I run on an elliptical, bike on a stationary and row on a machine. I also started swimming a few weeks ago at the Y by me.

BarbadosSlim93
12-31-2008, 17:38
incline walking on the treadmill is fairly low impact

otherwise, like was already said elliptical or the stationary bike, or maybe the rowing machine. Swimming or pool running would be great as well.

I also give my vote for the eliptical. I cannot run on a treadmill or on any type of concrete because it hits my knees and makes them swell up. I can still run on grass for the time being, but I prefer to save that for football or ultimate frisbee. If I do any type of cardio workout it is usually swimming or the eliptical. I can do several miles on that with no effect on the knees (just the thighs!).

bane51031
12-31-2008, 18:59
My knees are not what they used to be and I am missing a chunk out of my back but, the eliptical and swimming work as well as circut training between weight stations with minimal rest periods and fast reps.

DarinMartell
01-02-2009, 00:22

Nope, sounds like the perfect thing to develop the stabilizing muscles around the knee.

OK, NO ONE is allowed to jump on this next one...split...mark...

Doing any exercise while squeezing something between your knees is also great. Ball squats with a medicine ball between your knees, leg presses the same way, horseback riding, anything that makes the inner thigh work. Pulls the kneecap back into the center when it wants to go out.

I want pictures of Darrin hula hooping.

Don't hold your breath on that last part! :smiley36:

fyrdyvr
01-08-2009, 12:22
Just a little something extra to ponder. For every pound of weight that you lose, you will remove 4 pounds of force on your knees. I'm not saying that you need to lose weight, but dropping 10 pounds for me made it possible to keep running, which I love doing.

emt
01-08-2009, 20:12
Any exercise that uses the leg muscles that utilize more oxygen than about any other group. I am presently using a old nautic track ski machine setting in front of the bedroom TV. I try to tell myself I must be on it if I'm going to watch TV. That idea is not working to good right now since I'm off it in another room watching the BCS game.

Rockhound76
01-09-2009, 08:07
Just a note: You should never "kill yourself" working out. It should be enjoyable. At the same time, if you are on the treadmill or the elliptical or the weight machine and have newspaper to read between sets, you are unclear on the priniciple.

You do need to work vigorously enough, even strength training, that it requires your full attention and your full aerobic capacity.

DarinMartell
01-10-2009, 13:33
Just a little something extra to ponder. For every pound of weight that you lose, you will remove 4 pounds of force on your knees. I'm not saying that you need to lose weight, but dropping 10 pounds for me made it possible to keep running, which I love doing.

I hear you, I need to lose, that is what started this in the fist place. I need to exercise and to stop eating like a :smiley30:

Rockhound76
01-14-2009, 08:06
Note: About weight loss and low impact workout (for bad knees, bad back, etc.).

I'm running a little experiment. Despite a recent study that suggests excercise w/o dietary changes cannot cause weight loss, I am testing that theory.

I enjoy working out and do it 5 or 6 days a week. Yet, I've gained weight over the last year. I love to eat, and will continue to do so. Instead, I have added ONE more day of activity: a bicycle ride of from 50 to 65 miles, representing 3-4 hours of constant output. I'm am doing this to get ready for our Houston to Providence, R.I. ride.

I weighed two weeks ago: 238lbs.
I lifted hard 3 days, went to spin class five days. My HRM was giving me credit for 700-850kCal burned per spin class. My avg. HR was from 155-166bpm for these classes and my max was 184, so I know I worked hard (I'm 51, but my HR ranges test out for someone in their 30's. This isn't fitness related, but genetic).

I weighed after one week: 238lbs.

On Sunday, I went on a 50 mile bicycle ride in the cold, in a heavy breeze. Total time on the bike: 3hrs. 18min,
Total riding time: 3hrs. 12min (no stops, just lights) AHR: 148.
Total miles: 50.2
Average speed was low, just above 15mph, but that usually picks up. By June, I'll be riding in the high teens, sometimes a little over 20mph avg.

I consumed 4 120 cal gelpacks and 24oz of energy drink and about 30oz of water fortified with salt on the ride. That evening I had a steak and baked potatoe (spelling the Dan Q way).

I worked out for the rest of week, eating my bad meals, but did not weigh until Wednesday, so that my fluid levels could stabilize. Again, no change in diet.

Wednesday weight: 235lbs., a loss of 3lbs.

I ride again this weekend, planning for 67 miles. We'll see if the loss continues or is a fluke.

Also, my back feels BETTER when I ride. I have compression at L4/L5. When I tried this in 2005, getting ready for a bicycle ride to Lake Tahoe from Houston, I lost about 30lbs, although the loss rate stabilized at about .5-1lb/week. The bad effect was that my urine creatine levels went up, which was (my interp) a sign I was burning up muscle, not fat. Blood levels were normal, so my doc was "hung-up", but decided my kidneys were fine. Once the long rides stopped, my creatine went down.

Queen
01-15-2009, 11:08
I just got back into the pool and it's been fantastic! I ruptured a disc in my back in October and the physical therapist finally cleared me to get back to the pool. Mostly just kickboarding for 1/2 mile or so but it's got my legs feeling MUCH stronger.

Diver Kat
01-15-2009, 23:24
I'm with Lulubelle & Foo ... I have a bad knee - tore my ACL a few years back, and blew out 5 discs in my back as a result of a car accident, so running, etc. are all out. We got a recumbent bike this summer which has been great. For Christmas we got Wii Fit and some of the 'games' are killer. They actually have a hula hoop activity and a boxing activity, both of which are a real workout .... and fun to boot!

USF_Diver
01-16-2009, 08:01
Biking is easy on the knees, well road biking is more than mountain biking.
But mountain biking is alot more fun atleast for me.

emt
01-16-2009, 12:32
Just wondering USFdiver if you ever had any back muscle problems.
About 10 years ago I had 1. a sit down job and 2. Biked 45-1 hour without sitting down to make sure my cardio was up.
After about 6 months my back muscles were to the point that I couldn't tie my shoe laces, I couldn't touch them. I have since left the sit down job and cancelled the biking for initially light jogging. Light jogging/fast walking was initially painful but over 6 months my back muscles strengthened and now I have no back pain. I'm not sure how much the bent bike position had to do with my back pain, I'm sure the sit down job was terrible for the back muscles. I'm now doing a 12 hour a day standing job and I feel great (back then I never thought I could have done 12 hours of standing). I have switched from fast walk jog to ski machine for now since it's easier on the knees.

USF_Diver
01-16-2009, 14:33
Just wondering USFdiver if you ever had any back muscle problems.
About 10 years ago I had 1. a sit down job and 2. Biked 45-1 hour without sitting down to make sure my cardio was up.
After about 6 months my back muscles were to the point that I couldn't tie my shoe laces, I couldn't touch them. I have since left the sit down job and cancelled the biking for initially light jogging. Light jogging/fast walking was initially painful but over 6 months my back muscles strengthened and now I have no back pain. I'm not sure how much the bent bike position had to do with my back pain, I'm sure the sit down job was terrible for the back muscles. I'm now doing a 12 hour a day standing job and I feel great (back then I never thought I could have done 12 hours of standing). I have switched from fast walk jog to ski machine for now since it's easier on the knees.

Yeah I have a sit down job also, but I haven't had really that much back pain.
I have a full suspension mountain bike and that made a huge difference. I use to have a hardtail bike and the next day I was hurting bad in the lower back area.
Now after a ride I really don't feel a thing maybe a tad sore but thats it.

Also if you have a bike to big for your and your bent over to much that will kill your lower back.

heydn62
01-17-2009, 14:20
Biking, eliptical, and walking/hiking. I recently climbed stone mountain for the first time in 10 years. It's amazing how much steeper it has gotten. :smiley29:

Rockhound76
01-19-2009, 15:26
Saturday, I cycled 50 miles in a group out of my LBS (same as LDS, but bicycles. Duh.) A gentleman came along who said he had very bad knees. He did fine until halfway, when he said they started hurting.

I stayed back with him until he finished. I noticed his seat was about 1/2" to 1" too low. Bike fit is VERY important. He said he's going to raise his seat and try it again. He did agree his doc said biking was not hard on the knees if done correctly.

Note: I am still not dieting. I lost another 1lb. over the last week. Still, the only change is that I'm biking for one day a week, for two hours or more.

USF_Diver
01-19-2009, 21:30
I stayed back with him until he finished. I noticed his seat was about 1/2" to 1" too low. Bike fit is VERY important. He said he's going to raise his seat and try it again. He did agree his doc said biking was not hard on the knees if done correctly.

Yeah most people have the saddle to low on there bike. Your leg should not bend that much when your pedal is at its lowest point on the downstroke.

fanatique
02-06-2009, 12:28
Have you considered rope jumping? It is lower impact than running or jogging, only requires as much space as your shoulder width and if you do it with your trainers on and on an exercise mat or a carpet, it's all the better. And with the right intensity it beats either of the two exercises too.

DarinMartell
02-13-2009, 18:25
I have not tried rope jumping, however I think jumping jacks where one of the things I originally did to screw it up so I would be leary of any jumping exercises. I have been doing the lazy thing and not doing anything on a regular basis, now i really have to get going to get ready for dive season!

Rockhound76
02-16-2009, 13:05
A quick note: My experiment on cycling continues. No diet changes. Still going to the gym 4-5 days weekly, but added a single long bicycle ride every weekend.

No aches, no pains. My "bad back" feels a bit better than usual. Now down 8lbs, losing from 1-2 lbs. weekly.

Speed/distance have improved from 15.28mph avg. for 50miles in January to 17.8mph avg. for 67 miles this past Friday.

It seems to be working.

fanatique
03-24-2009, 23:49
Rope jumping with the right technique and with sports shoes on is a very good workout. As is using an exercise bike to do interval training with short burst and rest periods.

rmkrause
05-12-2009, 21:18
As others have mentioned - please see a physical therapist as they can help diagnose the root cause of the knee pain. Causes of knee pain are far and wide and can range from serious to relatively benign and it's best to get a professional diagnosis. A diagnosis is needed first before an appropriate course of action can be determined.

Another option for fat burning exercise that is easy on the knees that I haven't seen previously mentioned in this thread would be rowing - many gyms have stationary rowers and they provide an excellent full body exercise. Another perk is it seems rowing isn't terribly popular with lots of folks (never understood why) so usually no lines like for the treadmills.